This isn't a rub against Ron Kenoly... I use to own several of his CD's.

Holiness. I know many of my postings lately have dealt with not only justification by faith alone in Christ alone, but they have also dealt with sanctification, the justification of your faith, the justification of justification. That we walk as He walked, not to merit justification, but to have our salvation work out within us... to be Holy for He is Holy. That's the command, "Be ye holy for I am Holy."

I got to wondering... would it be prudent to examine two alternative views of Holiness from the Scriptures. Which is more in accord with the Scriptures... which is a better example of having a right understanding of Biblical Holiness?

In this corner weighing in at a theological weight of 97 lbs soaking wet, Gloria Copeland. (CROWD GOES WILD) Roar... Haaaa... Woooo. Rawr.

And in this corner weighing in at a staggering 275 lbs of solid theological muscle, J.C. Ryle. (Crickets goes wild) chirp... chirp... chirp... chirp.

Gloria comes out swinging.

"If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are" (1 Cor. 3:17).

"Nobody could be as holy as God is."

Have you ever heard people say that? It could be that you think that way. Well, if so, it's time to change your thinking.
The crowd is going nuts!

J.C. Ryle responds back with a veteran strike.

He that wishes to attain right views about Christian holiness, must begin by examining the vast and
solemn subject of sin. He must dig down very low if he would build high. A mistake here is most
mischievous. Wrong views about holiness are generally traceable to wrong views about human corruption.
I make no apology for beginning this volume of papers about holiness by making some plain statements
about sin.
The crowd is hushed with gasps and questioning whispers of, "What? Sin? This is a holiness match. The guy is senile."

Gloria seizes the moment...

If you are born again, God has called you to be holy. That's your destiny. That's where you're headed. Romans 8:29 says, "He predestined us to be conformed to the image of His Son."

If you are born again, you have been made holy. Now you are being called to walk out what you are on the inside. To be like the Father, you have to give yourself to Him. How much you give of yourself to God is how much He reveals Himself to you. That's how you become conformed to His image.
What an out of nowhere an East Texas right snooka hook Gloria lands, an entirely unexpected move! First it appeared she was going to line up with sound Orthodox doctrine, and BAM! East Texas right snooka hook at the end, a move never seen before in these parts. Totally unexpected and completely new.

But Mr. Ryle isn't down, he's shaken the blow off and it looks as if, yes, he bobs, he weaves, he floats like a butterfly, and OH! Stings like a Bee!

The subject of sanctification is one which many, I fear, dislike exceedingly. Some even turn from it with
scorn and disdain. The very last thing they would like is to be a “saint,” or a “sanctified” man. Yet the
subject does not deserve to be treated in this way. It is not an enemy, but a friend.
It is a subject of the utmost importance to our souls. If the Bible be true, it is certain that unless we are
“sanctified,” we shall not be saved. There are three things which, according to the Bible, are absolutely
necessary to the salvation of every man and woman in Christendom. These three are, justification,
regeneration, and sanctification. All three meet in every child of God: he is both born again, and justified,
and sanctified. He that lacks any one of these three things is not a true Christian in the sight of God, and
dying in that condition will not be found in heaven and glorified in the last day.
The crowd again, unflinching stares and silence as they watch the dizzying Gloria fight off her rubbery legs...

Thank god/gods/goddesses and Oprah, the first round bell has rung!