Thread: Brigham Young vs. The Bible

Threaded View

Senior Member Reputation Points: 1325

Default Brigham Young vs. The Bible

Mormons will tell their prospective converts that they believe the Bible is the Word of God. But they don’t. Not really. They believe certain parts of the Bible but dismiss any portion that contradicts the claims of their “prophets”. Their own prophets even mock and deride the Bible. Joseph Smith’s supposedly “Inspired Translation” demonstrates the low esteem in which the founder of Mormonism held the Word of God. He does unprecedented violence to the text of the Bible in his “translation” of it. Other Mormon “prophets” have also explicitly denounced even the most universally recognized claims of the Bible. For example, the Bible clearly and unmistakably tells us that God formed Adam out of the dust of the earth and breathed into him the breath of life...

And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul. – Gen 2:7.

Brigham Young, on the other hand calls that a lie. He says that Adam was God, and that what the Bible describes is “not so” and even explicitly dismisses the Word of God as “baby stories” and an “idle tale”:

Now hear it, O inhabitants of the earth, Jew and Gentile, Saint and sinner! When our father Adam came into the garden of Eden, he came into it with a celestial body, and brought Eve, one of his wives, with him. He helped to make and organize this world. He is Michael, the Archangel, the Ancient of Days! about whom holy men have written and spoken ‑‑ He is our Father, and our God, and the only God with whom we have to do. Every man upon the earth, professing Christians or non professing, must hear it, and will know it sooner or later. - Brigham Young, Journal of Discourses 1:50

You believe Adam was made of the dust of this earth. This I do not believe, though it is supposed that it is so written in the Bible; but it is not to my understanding. You can write that information to the States, if you please ‑ that I have publicly declared that I do not believe that portion of the Bible as the Christian world do. I never did, and I never want to. What is the reason I do not? Because I have come to understanding, and banished from my mind all the baby stories my mother taught me when I was a child. - ibid, 2:6

Though we have it in history that our father Adam was made of the dust of this earth, and that he knew nothing about his God previous to being made here, yet it is not so; and when we learn the truth we shall see and understand that he helped to make this world, and was the chief manager in that operation. He was the person who brought the animals and the seeds from other planets to this world, and brought a wife with him and stayed here. You may read and believe what you please as to what is found written in the Bible. Adam was made from the dust of an earth, but not from the dust of this earth. He was made as you and I are made, and no person was ever made upon any other principle. – ibid 3:319

Here let me state to all philosophers of every class upon earth, When you tell me that father Adam was made as we make adobies from the earth, you tell me what I deem an idle tale. When you tell me that the beasts of the field were produced in that manner, you are speaking idle words devoid of meaning. There is no such thing in all the eternities where the Gods dwell.... Adam and Eve are the parents of all pertaining to the flesh, and I would not say that they are not also the parents of our spirits. - ibid 7:285

While Mormons like to pretend that their “prophet” was just misunderstood, the “prophet” himself rebukes their “unbelief”...

How much unbelief exists in the minds of the Latterday Saints in regard to one particular doctrine which I revealed to them, and which God revealed to me namely that Adam is our father and God ‑ I do not know, I do not inquire, I care nothing about it. Our Father Adam helped to make this earth, it was created expressly for him, and after it was made he and his companions came here. He brought one of his wives with him, and she was called Eve, because she was the first woman upon the earth. Our Father Adam is the man who stands at the gate and holds the keys of everlasting life and salvation to all his children who have or who ever will come upon the earth. I have been found fault with by the ministers of religion because I have said that they were ignorant. But I could not find any man on the earth who cold tell me this, although it is one of the simplest things in the world, until I met and talked with Joseph Smith. - Brigham Young, Deseret News, v. 22, no. 308, June 8, 1873

To be fair, many Mormons were revolted at this doctrine given by their “prophet”.

Some have thought it strange what I have said concerning Adam, but the period will come when this people of [the] faithful will be willing to adopt Joseph Smith as their Prophet, Seer, Revelator and God, but not the father of their spirits for that was our Father Adam. - Brigham Young, Journal of Wilford Woodruff, December 11, 1869

I have heard brother Brigham say that Adam is the Father of our spirits, and he came here with his resurrected body, to fall for his own children; and I said to him, it leads to an endless number of falls, which leads to sorrow and death: that is revolting to my feelings, even if it were not sustained by revelation. - Orson Pratt, Minutes of the Meeting of the Council of the Twelve in Historian's Upper Room, April 5, 1860

Others defended it passionately...

When Brigham Young proclaimed to the nations that Adam was our Father and God, and Eve, his partner, the Mother of a world‑both in a mortal and celestial sense ‑‑ he made the most important revelation ever oracled to the race since the days of Adam himself. This grand patriarchal revelation is the very key‑stone of the 'New Creation' of the heavens and the earth. It gives new meaning to the whole system of theology. - Eliza Roxcy Snow, Women of Mormondom, p. 196

This brings to my mind the vision that Joseph Smith had, when he saw Adam open the gate of the Celestial City and admit the people one by one. He then saw Father Adam conduct them to the throne one by one, when they were crowned Kings and Priests of God. I merely bring this up to impress upon your mind the principles of order, but it will nevertheless apply to every member of the Church. - Heber C. Kimball, Journal of Discourses 9:40

But there can be no doubt that the “Adam God” doctrine was clearly taught by the leader of the Mormon religion and is even traceable to the claims of Joseph Smith and WAS accepted as revealed truth by the early Mormons and even subsequent LDS “prophets”...

And also with Michael, or Adam, the father of all, the prince of all, the ancient of days - Joseph Smith, Doctrine and Covenants 27:11

He {Adam} is the father of the human family, and presides over the spirits of all men, and all that have had the keys must stand before him in this grand council. This may take place before some of us leave this stage of action. The Son of Man stands before him, and there is given him glory and dominion. Adam delivers up his stewardship to Christ, that which was delivered to him as holding the keys of the universe, but retains his standing as head of the human family. - Joseph Smith, Messages of the First Presidency, v. 1, p. 113, July 1839; History of the Church, v. 3, pp. 386‑387

I am not disposed to question the discrepancies on the question of doctrine; if we live faithful all will become clear to us. We cannot become united only as we get united in understanding. When I first heard the doctrine of Adam being our Father and God, I was favorably impressed ‑ enjoyed, and hailed it as a new revelation. It appeared reasonable to me, as the Father of our spirits that he should introduce us here. And what we do not see is only evidence that we have not the light necessary. - George Albert Smith, Minutes of the School of Prophets, pp. 37‑42, June 8, 1868

Now regarding Adam, He came here from Another planet, an Immortalized being, and brought his wife Eve with him, and by eating of the fruit of this earth, became subject to death and decay... was made mortal and subject to death. - Joseph Smith, Records of both Anson Call and Patriarch John M. Whitaker. Nauvoo, Illinois

At meeting of School of Prophets: President Young said Adam was Michael the Archangel, and he was the Father of Jesus Christ and was our God and that Joseph taught this principle. - Wilford Woodruff, Journal of Wilford Woodruff, Dec. 16, 1867

He {Brigham Young} said that our God was Father Adam. He was the Father of the Savior Jesus Christ ‑ Our God was no more or less than ADAM, Michael the Archangel. - ibid, Feb. 19, 1854

Today Mormons either don’t know anything about this VERY obvious deviation from the Word of God in the Bible found in the teachings of their organization’s “prophets” and other leaders, or they continue to either believe it or dismiss it from their minds as an uncomfortable but unavoidable fact demonstrating just how goofy their “prophets” can get.

If you are a Mormon reading this, What is your stand? Was the LDS "prophet" right to reveal that Adam is God, or is the Bible right in telling us that God created Adam?

-BH

Last edited by BrianH; 02-11-14 at 11:31 AM.