How is a church apostolic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by By His Mercy View Post

Oh please, i'm not making excuses for the elect, just explaining the Biblical existence of tares in with the wheat. You just CANNOT deny that. Stop wasting time with such tangential accusations.

Protestant churches have had bad leaders, up to the top.

I'm just saying I don't think Calvin received a special gift of the Holy Spirit via the laying on of hands because he wasn't ordained.

I have, I was a New Testament major at a protestant seminary (Dallas Theological Seminary). I probably translated most of them.

Are you going to have any valid points to refute Catholic theology, like the assumption one's future sins are not forgiven right now (look at the Lords' prayer, look at Jesus' warnings to His own disciples about having to be found behaving properly upon His return...fulfilled by imputation??, etc.)

Salvation is totally a gift, given to the elect. All of these "requirements" are a gift. But they're required. That's our point. It's not faith alone / imputation only that's required on judgment day. Multiplied talents, works prepared beforehand. All given to those who had faith, and faith itself was a gift. But the judgment day passages have "justified by your words" (Mt 12:37), justified "not by faith alone" (Jas 2:24). Don't assume we believe these multiplied talents weren't 100% a gift.

-BHM
    With all your DTS training I would think you knew that the Lords Prayer and the warnings of Jesus were given under the Old Covenant?

Comment

• Originally posted by Balshan View Post

Oh please you are just making excuses for the evil to flourish.
      I certainly am not making excuses. You gave an accusation (pedophile priests) and I explained that evil exists within the church...a work of Satan. That's not an excuse, that's an explanation. An excuse assumes some sort of justification to do evil. There is no justification to do evil. For purposes of argument, let me back off on the Catholic church being Jesus' church. Let me just say if Jesus' church (wherever it is) has tares in it that were sown by the devil (we know this happened), would you say Jesus' church is illegitimate?

Your institution ignores the scriptures.
      What? So you're protestant and don't believe your future sins are forgiven right now? Scripture is clear on that. So then, it they're not forgiven right now, when are they forgiven? Why would a once-for-all-imputed-righteousness fall short?

Just in the last few weeks a priest in Broome went through the RC system to have a bishop removed the church did nothing. So he being a decent person then took the matter to the police. How amazing the bishop finally decided to step down for a period because charges have been laid against him. Your institution was lazy and put the lives of children at risk. Are you going to follow Paul's instruction on what to do with sexual sinners. Your institution cherry picks the scriptures it wants to follow and adds others just for the fun of it. If you were such a brilliant student then you know what Paul says to do with sexual sinners.
      Bad behavior. Just because a church leader does something bad doesn't mean it's not a true church.

I can cite bad behavior by protestant leaders. In fact, Billy Graham's son says the child abuse problem is the same in protestant churches. Remember that?

This source says it's worse in the protestant churches.
      http://shoebat.com/2014/05/06/sexual...ches-catholic/

Blah, Blah how many times do you want to mention your degrees. I have three so what? One a masters degree. Big deal. Degrees are nothing than some of us have been blessed. I miss skyknight he was a great apologist and he did not have a degree but he had insight. Just because one has a degree does not mean you are more informed than others who have made scripture their life study. My father could tell you about all the trees and their properties that were mentioned in scripture. You seem to think that we should bow down to you because you have a degree as I said to my primary students pat yourself on the back. Then put it into prospective you degree means nothing at all, when you blindly follow RC lies.
      Just a response from you telling me to study scripture. I repeat, I have, still do, and will continue to study scripture. No reason to be rude...blah blah…

I don't care about Calvin it is your hang up not mine.
      But it's relevant to the issue of God-given authority. I believe Jesus gave His disciples earthly authority (whatever you bind...whatever you loose...). And we see a special gift of the Spirit being passed down by the laying on of hands. That's a sacrament...grace given with an earthly sign present.

I have posted valid points refuting your institution theology like sin and go to confession all is well with the earth. I have refuted the Marian doctrines over and over again.
      Like sin? Like a Christian's future sin is forgiven right now? Was that your point? If so, can you show me your argument?

-BHM

Comment

• Originally posted by mica View Post
        why not read and study to find out what those verses are about instead of repeating over and over your lack of knowledge of them? study to show yourself approved...

yes, it's madness that the RCC keeps handing down false teachings from generation to generation.
        I have and I believe my interpretation of them is true.

Please give me your interpretation of these verses and we can discuss.

-BHM

Comment

• Originally posted by mica View Post
          [/FONT][/COLOR][/LEFT]
          you should stop wasting time and learn to read and understand scripture.
          of course they do. are you of the mistaken belief that all of those that catholics label as protestant are believers?
          you seem abscessed with Calvin. isn't there a Calvinism forum here?
          No, I believe Calvin taught error.

[/FONT][/COLOR][/LEFT]
          you keep posting that. do you think it makes you a believer? it doesn't. from what I read in your posts I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
          that's been done over and over again. that you don't understand the posts or the verses does not say much for your time spent at DTS.
          that was given to the Jews - in OT time.
          The warnings were given to His own disciples about the time of His return. The time of His return will be in NT times. We have to be found behaving properly in NT times.

more evidence of you lack of knowledge of scripture. maybe you could get a refund.
          I think you have a lack of knowledge of scripture.

Jesus had left the temple, and his disciples gathered around Him...and He taught these warnings to them (not the Jews whom He just left) about having to be found behaving well upon His return.

Can you really refute this?

Please do if you can, I'll discuss as much as you want.

-BHM
          Last edited by By His Mercy; 03-26-2020, 03:16 AM.

Comment

• Calsgal
            Calsgal commented
            Editing a comment
            Take it to the Calvinism forum.. Calvin and I think Rome is apostate and life with error

• Originally posted by illini1959 View Post

Again..................................
          from any of the 12 original apostles.

Comment

• Originally posted by Calsgal View Post

With all your DTS training I would think you knew that the Lords Prayer and the warnings of Jesus were given under the Old Covenant?
            His disciples would move into NT times very soon.

And the warnings Jesus gave to them...He had just left the temple (Mt 24:1), then His disciples came to Him privately (Mt 24:3) and Jesus gave a discourse on the end times. There are many interpretations of the kingdom, etc., but in v. 42 Jesus says "Therefore be on the alert, for you do not know which day your Lord is coming." Then come the parables...and if one is found behaving badly or not prepared, they go to the place of weeping and gnashing of teeth. These warnings are about a Master leaving His slaves, then returning to judge.

His return will be in New Testament times, right? So just who are the slaves who will be told "well done" and "you wicked slave"? Remember, Jesus had left the Temple, and this was spoken to His disciples who gathered with Him privately. He would be put to death and would rise from the dead just days later.

-BHM
            Last edited by By His Mercy; 03-26-2020, 03:16 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nimbus View Post

The assertions of claims of apostolic succession, always reminds me of the following verses from Romans 2 and Matthew 3:

For you are not a true Jew just because you were born of Jewish parents or because you have gone through the ceremony of circumcision. No, a true Jew is one whose heart is right with God. And true circumcision is not merely obeying the letter of the law; rather, it is a change of heart produced by the Spirit. And a person with a changed heart seeks praise from God, not from people.

and

And do not presume to say to yourselves, ‘We have Abraham as our father,’ for I tell you, God is able from these stones to raise up children for Abraham.

Just substitute "Peter" for "Abraham" above, and perhaps you can see how little it seems God is impressed with our claims of lineage.
              and it reminds me of these...….

rom10: 15 And how can there be preachers, unless preachers are sent on their errand?....

john20: 21 Once more jesus said to them, Peace be upon you: I came upon an errand from my Father, and now, I am sending you out in my turn.

2tim2: 2 … the doctrine which I hand down, give it into the keeping of men thou canst trust, men who will know how to teach it to others besides themselves.

titus1:5 If I left thee behind in Crete, it was to put all in order, where order is still needed. Ii is for thee to appoint presbyters, as I enjoined, in each city.

now, to prove your point....can you go to the testimony of the early Christians?

Comment

I certainly am not making excuses. You gave an accusation (pedophile priests) and I explained that evil exists within the church...a work of Satan. That's not an excuse, that's an explanation. An excuse assumes some sort of justification to do evil. There is no justification to do evil. For purposes of argument, let me back off on the Catholic church being Jesus' church. Let me just say if Jesus' church (wherever it is) has tares in it that were sown by the devil (we know this happened), would you say Jesus' church is illegitimate?

What? So you're protestant and don't believe your future sins are forgiven right now? Scripture is clear on that. So then, it they're not forgiven right now, when are they forgiven? Why would a once-for-all-imputed-righteousness fall short?

Bad behavior. Just because a church leader does something bad doesn't mean it's not a true church.

I can cite bad behavior by protestant leaders. In fact, Billy Graham's son says the child abuse problem is the same in protestant churches. Remember that?

This source says it's worse in the protestant churches.
                http://shoebat.com/2014/05/06/sexual...ches-catholic/

Just a response from you telling me to study scripture. I repeat, I have, still do, and will continue to study scripture. No reason to be rude...blah blah…

But it's relevant to the issue of God-given authority. I believe Jesus gave His disciples earthly authority (whatever you bind...whatever you loose...). And we see a special gift of the Spirit being passed down by the laying on of hands. That's a sacrament...grace given with an earthly sign present.

Like sin? Like a Christian's future sin is forgiven right now? Was that your point? If so, can you show me your argument?

-BHM
                Stop making excuses evil people were known and allowed to stay and let their sin flourish. It was extremely clear from the Australian Royal Commission that for every evil priest, several others knew what was happening and did nothing. Why because of the excuses of the tares etc. So sick of hearing that being misused. Did Jesus say of there are tares and you will see them molesting children, no it is fine go on ignoring them. NO he would never ignore such evil.

I am not a protestant for someone who gasconades about their degree all the time you do make a lot of assumptions about others.

Really that was your response to someone saying study scripture. You like to brag all the time in so many posts. A degree means nothing. Your priests do not have God given authority otherwise they would follow what He does and they don't.

You have no understanding of binding and loosening at all.

I have never said anything about future sin, but you seem to have an obsession with it. You are obsessed with Calvin and future sin. Really your biases are showing. Confession is a joke it just allows people to go on sinning, criminals go to confession and repeat the crimes, paedophile priests made confession went out and molested more children. Obviously a big fat waste of time.

You cannot support the false doctrines of your institution, don't get upset with others for your inability to defend false doctrines.

By the way I have posted in several threads the figures from the Royal Commission and your institution was the worse. It was even worse than secular institutions. It was worse by a country mile and we all know about those miles. Do you really think Jesus would say look over there it is worse.
                Last edited by Balshan; 03-26-2020, 03:42 AM.

Comment

• Calsgal
                  Calsgal commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Did he ever say he had a "degree" or diploma ???

• Balshan
                  Balshan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I thought he said a degree at some place in the states which I assumed was well known. But not being American. I maybe wrong I do have as my husband says an improving memory.

• leonard03782
                  leonard03782 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Dallas Theological Seminary is highly thought of by many of the preachers that I listen to regularly.

• Originally posted by ramcam2 View Post

from any of the 12 original apostles.
                Thank you.

So, what would Stephen's role have been? Since you agree he wasn't in your "apostolic" lineage...

Originally posted by ramcam2 View Post
                Ask the poster if he means one of the original 12 or just one who is sent, messenger?

commandment 8. Thou shall not bear false witness......
                I'd ask the poster but as he/she hasn't responded to me on this yet, I'm not holding my breath for an answer.
                Romans 10:9 Because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

Comment

• Originally posted by illini1959 View Post

Thank you.

So, what would Stephen's role have been? Since you agree he wasn't inthere your "apostolic" lineage...

I'd ask the poster but as he/she hasn't responded to me on this yet, I'm not holding my breath for an answer.
                  not much is written regarding the early life of Stephen but he was a deacon of the church. in acts6: 1-6, the apostles instituted deacons in response to the complaints of the Hellenistic jews and they chose Stephen. this is proof of his apostolic lineage.

Comment

not much is written regarding the early life of Stephen but he was a deacon of the church. in acts6: 1-6, the apostles instituted deacons in response to the complaints of the Hellenistic jews and they chose Stephen. this is proof of his apostolic lineage.
                    but not Apostolc Succession: right?

Paul and other apostles appointed dozens if not hundreds of elders: you may know the names of a few: but most are unknown to history.

And those elders appointed other elders:

Are they Successors to the Apostles?

Comment

No, I believe Calvin taught error.
                      this forum is the RCC forum, not one for Calvinism.

The warnings were given to His own disciples about the time of His return. The time of His return will be in NT times. We have to be found behaving properly in NT times.
                      those who are born again will be. those who aren't won't be.

I think you have a lack of knowledge of scripture.

Jesus had left the temple, and his disciples gathered around Him...and He taught these warnings to them (not the Jews whom He just left) about having to be found behaving well upon His return.

Can you really refute this?

Please do if you can, I'll discuss as much as you want.
                      of course you do. you view and understand it according to the false teachings of the RCC, not according to the truth taught in His word.

they were Jews. Jews that Jesus sent out to teach other Jews! the 12 were sent to the Jews!

Comment

rom10: 15 And how can there be preachers, unless preachers are sent on their errand?....

john20: 21 Once more jesus said to them, Peace be upon you: I came upon an errand from my Father, and now, I am sending you out in my turn.

2tim2: 2 … the doctrine which I hand down, give it into the keeping of men thou canst trust, men who will know how to teach it to others besides themselves.

titus1:5 If I left thee behind in Crete, it was to put all in order, where order is still needed. Ii is for thee to appoint presbyters, as I enjoined, in each city.
                        now, to prove your point....can you go to the testimony of the early Christians?
                        doctrine HE hands down to them... not doctrine made up by others.

give into keeping to those who can be trusted... the RCC cannot be trusted (nor can the lds jws etc)

men who will know how to teach it to others - the RCC does not know how and it doesn't know what HE taught.

yes, you'll find it in the NT books. the early Christians and church mostly starting in Acts (with NC teachings). read Paul's writings.

Comment

where does it say they appointed him to be an apostle?

Comment

our church has sent preachers to other states and other countries
                            They are all well equipped to teach the doctrines of the apostles
                            they plant churches with the goal that those churches plant others

is that acceptable to you?

Comment

Working...
                            X