Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mormons are "Polytheist" based on their understanding of the Godhead.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mormons are "Polytheist" based on their understanding of the Godhead.

"The following is what they teach: "The Church’s first article of faith states, “We believe in God, the Eternal Father, and in His Son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost.” These three beings make up the Godhead. They preside over this world and all other creations of our Father in Heaven." The "Godhead" is not made up of three beings. The Bible is explicitly clear that there is only one "Being" of God who manifest Himsels as three distince persons, not three separate persons, but three distinct persons.

The Shema at Deuteronomy 6:4 verifies that there is only one God, period. "Hear , O Israel! The Lord is our God, the Lord is one!" So here is what Isaiah 44:24 states, "Thus says the Lord, your Redeemer, and the one who formed you from the womb, I, the Lord, am the maker of all things, Stretching out the heavens BY MYSELF, And spreading out the earth ALL ALONE."

So here's the question from John 1:1-3, "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was WITH God, and the Word WAS God. vs2, He was in the beginning with God. vs3, All things came inot being by Him, and apart (or without Him) nothing came into being that has come into being." Since God created the heavens and the earth at Isaiah 44:24, all alone and by Himself, why is Jesus Christ identified or presented as the Agent of creation here at John 1:1-3?

In fact, the Apostle Paul says at Colossians 1:16-17 all things have been created by Him. At Hebrews 1:10 His Father says, "Thou, Lord, in the beginning didst lay the foundation of the earth, And the heavens are the works of Thy hands." And Revelation 3:14 Jesus says, "The Amen, the faithful and true witness, the Beginning of the creation of God, says this." So, how do you reconcile the idea that there are three being that make up the Godhead with there is only one being of God who created all that exist BY HIMSELF AND ALL ALONE?

IN GOD THE SON,
    james
    Last edited by james; 02-14-2020, 03:10 AM.

Originally posted by james View Post
    The Bible is explicitly clear that there is only one "Being" of God who manifest Himsels as three distince persons, not three separate persons, but three distinct persons.
    Can you show us where the Bible is explicitly clear about this?

Comment

"The following is what they teach: "The Church’s first article of faith states, “We believe in God, the Eternal Father, and in His Son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost.” These three beings make up the Godhead. They preside over this world and all other creations of our Father in Heaven." The "Godhead" is not made up of three beings. The Bible is explicitly clear that there is only one "Being" of God who manifest Himsels as three distince persons, not three separate persons, but three distinct persons.
      Could you give us a Biblical cite where God is referred to as "one Being"?

The Shema at Deuteronomy 6:4 verifies that there is only one God, period. "Hear , O Israel! The Lord is our God, the Lord is one!" So here is what Isaiah 44:24 states, "Thus says the Lord, your Redeemer, and the one who formed you from the womb, I, the Lord, am the maker of all things, Stretching out the heavens BY MYSELF, And spreading out the earth ALL ALONE."

So here's the question from John 1:1-3, "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was WITH God, and the Word WAS God. vs2, He was in the beginning with God. vs3, All things came inot being by Him, and apart (or without Him) nothing came into being that has come into being." Since God created the heavens and the earth at Isaiah 44:24, all alone and by Himself, why is Jesus Christ identified or presented as the Agent of creation here at John 1:1-3?

In fact, the Apostle Paul says at Colossians 1:16-17 all things have been created by Him. At Hebrews 1:10 His Father says, "Thou, Lord, in the beginning didst lay the foundation of the earth, And the heavens are the works of Thy hands." And Revelation 3:14 Jesus says, "The Amen, the faithful and true witness, the Beginning of the creation of God, says this." So, how do you reconcile the idea that there are three being that make up the Godhead with there is only one being of God who created all that exist BY HIMSELF AND ALL ALONE? :
      The NT writers reconciled it by separating out God the Son from the "one God":

1 Corinthians 8:6---King James Version (KJV)
      6 But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him.

1 Timothy 2:5--King James Version (KJV)
      5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;

Ephesians 4:4-6--King James Version (KJV)
      4 There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling;
      5One Lord, one faith, one baptism,
      6 One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.

Comment

In fact, the Apostle Paul says at Colossians 1:16-17 all things have been created by Him. At Hebrews 1:10 His Father says, "Thou, Lord, in the beginning didst lay the foundation of the earth, And the heavens are the works of Thy hands." And Revelation 3:14 Jesus says, "The Amen, the faithful and true witness, the Beginning of the creation of God, says this." So, how do you reconcile the idea that there are three being that make up the Godhead with there is only one being of God who created all that exist BY HIMSELF AND ALL ALONE?

IN GOD THE SON,
        james
        Well of course they are...even Smith said that he had always taught that Father, Son, and Holy Ghost are three gods. That is false, as his BoM clearly is monotheistic and explicitly Trinitarian, as has been proven on here several times over the past few years. I guess Smith forgot what he had written in the BoM, later on, in his career.
        "It is easy to fool a man, but almost impossible to get him to admit he was fooled." (attributed to Mark Twain)

"If the truth hurts--it's working." (Anonymous)

"Let the wife make her husband glad to come home and let him make her sorry to see him leave." (Martin Luther)

"A layman who has the Scripture is more than Pope or council without it."
        (Martin Luther)

"A Mormon acquaintance once pushed Mark Twain into an argument on the issue of polygamy. After a long and tedious exposition justifying the practice, the Mormon demanded that Twain cite any passage of scripture expressly forbidding the practice of plural marriage. 'Nothing easier,' Twain replied, 'No man can serve two masters.'"
        (source unknown)

Comment

Originally posted by Bonnie View Post
          Well of course they are...even Smith said that he had always taught that Father, Son, and Holy Ghost are three gods. That is false, as his BoM clearly is monotheistic and explicitly Trinitarian, as has been proven on here several times over the past few years. I guess Smith forgot what he had written in the BoM, later on, in his career.
          Did the NT writers forget what was written in the OT?

6 But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him.

5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;

4 There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling;

Why was God the Son separated out from the "one God" of the Biblical NT--and claimed to have a God and Father also?

1 Peter 1:3---King James Version (KJV)
          3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,

John 20:17---King James Version (KJV)
          17 Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.

Ephesians 1:17---King James Version (KJV)
          17 That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him:

Hebrews 1:9---King James Version (KJV)
          9 Thou hast loved righteousness, and hated iniquity; therefore God, even thy God, hath anointed thee with the oil of gladness above thy fellows.

Could anyone explain that for us?

Comment

Originally posted by dberrie2000 View Post

Did the NT writers forget what was written in the OT?
            What a stupid question.

Why was God the Son separated out from the "one God" of the Biblical NT--and claimed to have a God and Father also?
            Because Jesus isn't the Father.
            Because Jesus wasn't an atheist.

Could anyone explain that for us?
            Why should we waste our time?
            You constantly ignore our answers, and then simply repeat the same question twenty million times.

Comment

Originally posted by Theo1689 View Post
              That's not something which is in question.

Jesus was separated out from the "one God" in the Biblical NT:

So--could you explain how that fits the theology pawned here by the critics?

Comment

So--could you explain how that fits the theology pawned here by the critics?
                I'm perfectly happy to explain it to anyone who is SINCERELY interested.
                Unfortunately, there is nobody here who fits that description.

Comment

I'm perfectly happy to explain it to anyone who is SINCERELY interested.
                  Unfortunately, there is nobody here who fits that description.
                  Another straw man excuse, IMO.

Comment

Could you give us a Biblical cite where God is referred to as "one Being"?

The NT writers reconciled it by separating out God the Son from the "one God":

The Mormons have a different position dberrie2000 ignore

Comment

• Bonnie
                      Bonnie commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I guess Smith had a bad memory, since he first taught that there is only one God, and he also taught the Triune Godhead. THEN he devolved to polytheism, as you proved, BA.

What a stupid question.

Because Jesus wasn't an atheist.

Why should we waste our time?
                    You constantly ignore our answers, and then simply repeat the same question twenty million times.
                    Now, Theo...I have told you a hundred million times NOT to exaggerate!
                    "It is easy to fool a man, but almost impossible to get him to admit he was fooled." (attributed to Mark Twain)

"If the truth hurts--it's working." (Anonymous)

"Let the wife make her husband glad to come home and let him make her sorry to see him leave." (Martin Luther)

"A layman who has the Scripture is more than Pope or council without it."
                    (Martin Luther)

"A Mormon acquaintance once pushed Mark Twain into an argument on the issue of polygamy. After a long and tedious exposition justifying the practice, the Mormon demanded that Twain cite any passage of scripture expressly forbidding the practice of plural marriage. 'Nothing easier,' Twain replied, 'No man can serve two masters.'"
                    (source unknown)

Comment

Originally posted by Biblical Apologist View Post
                      The Mormons have a different position dberrie2000 ignore

If God the Son is going to be separated out from the "one God"--then He must be a different God.

So--you aren't thinking God the Son is His own God and Father--are you?

3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,

17 Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.

17 That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him:

9 Thou hast loved righteousness, and hated iniquity; therefore God, even thy God, hath anointed thee with the oil of gladness above thy fellows.

Comment

If God the Son is going to be separated out from the "one God"--then He must be a different God.

So--you aren't thinking God the Son is His own God and Father--are you?

You must be ignoring Joseph Smith Jr

Comment

• Bonnie
                          Bonnie commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Hoist by their own petard!

As we have already discussed on a number of occasions--Joseph Smith's theology on the Godhead evolved--just as the Biblical theology on the Godhead evolved.

So--how do you fit your theology into the NT witness?

The LDS can fit their theology into that testimony.

Comment

One Godhead in purpose, mind and doctrine.... Son of God is the literal Son of God in every sense.... the below shows you that you interpret it without knowledge....

The Father and the Son are also described as distinct. Nephi seems to recognize a distinction between the Father and the Son. Christ “witnesseth” obedience unto the Father (2 Nephi 31:7), and keeps the commandments of the Father (2 Nephi 31:7-11). In Jacob’s day, the righteous Nephites worshipped the Father in Christ’s name and saw the story of Father Abraham’s attempted sacrifice of his Son Isaac as “a similitude of God and his Only Begotten Son” (Jacob 4:5-6), which strongly suggests that they are separate individuals. Other passages describe Jesus as in complete harmony with but still subordinate to his Father (3 Nephi 11:32-36). Jesus prays to the Father (3 Nephi 17:13-18; 19:19-34), is sent by the Father (3 Nephi 27:13), the Father introduces the Son (3 Nephi 11:3-7), the Father commands the Son (3 Nephi 15:16; 16:10), the Son like an advocate for the defense hold the righteous guiltless before his Father at the day of judgement (3 Nephi 27:16). Since the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost are all described in the Book of Mormon as separate and distinct individuals, they constitute “one God” or divine government which is unified in purpose, will, doctrine and testimony.

Quote:
                          One God or Three?

by john | Jan 4, 2013 | Book of Mormon Criticisms

Comment

Working...
                          X