Why homeschool?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by inquiring mind View Post

I disagree with home schooling. Our government is promoting and creating a smorgasbord culture for us commoners, so you might as well let your children learn to deal with it in public school at an early age. That way it won’t be so hard on them to adjust in the adult world. Now, if your kids are among the elite who won't have to deal with commoners on a daily basis... have at it.
    A lot of these pampered kids go on the secular colleges and drop their faith when tested. An advantage to public schools is they can come out tested and battle-hardened for life. In hindsight even bullying toughens students up and forces them to deal with situations where they are next to helpless. The student can come out on the other end of the trial in good shape while the future of the habitual bully usually involves a prison cell and lifetime isolation even if out. Sooner or later most pampered will have to get in the ring.
    Inequality is therefore natural law. Nordau.

The same laws of entropy working against physical matter being eternal work against deep time.

Comment

Originally posted by lightbeamrider View Post

A lot of these pampered kids go on the secular colleges and drop their faith when tested. An advantage to public schools is they can come out tested and battle-hardened for life. In hindsight even bullying toughens students up and forces them to deal with situations where they are next to helpless. The student can come out on the other end of the trial in good shape while the future of the habitual bully usually involves a prison cell and lifetime isolation even if out. Sooner or later most pampered will have to get in the ring.
      Good point!
      Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and show thee great and difficult things, which thou knowest not. Jeremiah 33:3

Comment

The problem here is the circular argument being made. We should send our kids to public schools so that they can better deal with the sort of people public schools turn out?

How about: we eliminate the culture that turns out those kids in the first place? the thing is, I find it unconscionable to make MY children part of the problem, and attempt to solve it with other people's children. Call me selfish: I don't care. I want my children and grandchildren to learn stuff well, to find joy in the learning, and not have to succeed IN SPITE of public schools, and right now that's what the truly successful kids do. They learn in spite of, not because of.

Again, homeschooling parents MUST take it seriously; both the academics and the social aspects. But tell me; what culture would you prefer your kids to identify with; the group that needs the homeless shelters because they flunked out, or the group that runs and/or volunteers at those homeless shelters? Do you want them to have to pick a gang...or avoid them all together and learn to dance/sing/act/paint/museum hop/volunteer at zoos...all of which allows them to associate with other kids who ALSO enjoy that stuff more than gang activities?

Admittedly, homeschool isn't practical for everybody, but you know what is? Taking a firm interest and complete control over your kids education after class; make sure they do their homework. Push them to take available tutoring. Take them out of school once in awhile to volunteer somewhere important. Do NOT allow them to associate with gangs. Be nasty, keep 'em busy, and give them TIME.
        My opinions are mine, and my opinions are not necessarily the official stands or doctrines of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day saints.If you are not a member, your opinions are even less likely to represent them. Just sayin'.

Comment

Originally posted by lightbeamrider
          Does not matter to me where you send them. What i am saying is most here have little to any experience in Public Education.

How exactly are you going to do that? Every child has a right to an education in America, that includes Forrest Gump and the black kid from the hood no daddy in sight or from homeless shelters or orphanages. Many graduate from Public schools with college credits up to two years or they learn about building houses by doing it at schools. It is not all bad news.

Then don't. You think you are helping them in the long run by mollycoddling them? Good luck with that. Don't send them to secular colleges and wonder why they return full blown atheists. Or the cherished daughter forfeits her virginity to some good time charlie at a drunk party. It happens all the time.
          Uhmn...did you miss the part where I am a credentialed public school teacher? I have a great deal of experience in public education. Retired English teacher here. Taught in California high school English classes. I know precisely what I'm talking about.

Garbage. You know next to zero about public education. Do some volunteer work and be part of the solution. You want to home school your children, fine but don't go telling me your so called noble reasons. Plenty do not want their kid sitting next to Forrest Gump or the kid from the hood. They think it will slow down their kids learning.
          So...I'm a racist, am I? that's cute, considering who I married and what boxes my kids can check. Tell me, is it your usual practice, when you can't respond to the content of a post, to attack the author of it?

Bi-polar thinking is all i am seeing here. But i am really interested in how you are going to eliminate the culture that turns out these kids? (meaning These little freaks)

Good luck with all that. And if your daughter comes home with a bi-racial baby then just remember even the best-laid plans......
          My daughter, should she have children, will have no choice BUT to come home with a mixed race baby. All of my children are going to do that, because I went and married a mixed race man. Best decision I ever made, and I got to keep him for twenty years before he died.

Oh, just as a btw, turns out that the people of my own personal faith, once they graduate from university, are MORE likely to remain active in their faith than mainstream Christians. I won't say anything else about that...you can go to another forum to discuss that. I'm only responding to your claim that homeschooling my kids will result in them getting pregnant with biracial babies and them becoming atheists. Remember; in public school they will get no religious education. Parents must provide that. If one homeschools, then one can include religious education with all topics. One doesn't have to do that, of course, and 'religious education' isn't why I'm for homeschooling. I'm just pointing out the incredible disconnect you seem to be using here.

Oh, and as to your warning that if I homeschool my kids, they'll turn into atheists and come home to bi-racial babies...as if that were a fate worse than every death imaginable?

*I'M' supposed to be the racist?

Great googly moogly.

My opinions are mine, and my opinions are not necessarily the official stands or doctrines of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day saints.If you are not a member, your opinions are even less likely to represent them. Just sayin'.

Comment

Originally posted by doama View Post

Uhmn...did you miss the part where I am a credentialed public school teacher? I have a great deal of experience in public education. Retired English teacher here. Taught in California high school English classes. I know precisely what I'm talking about.

So...I'm a racist, am I? that's cute, considering who I married and what boxes my kids can check. Tell me, is it your usual practice, when you can't respond to the content of a post, to attack the author of it?

My daughter, should she have children, will have no choice BUT to come home with a mixed race baby. All of my children are going to do that, because I went and married a mixed race man. Best decision I ever made, and I got to keep him for twenty years before he died.

Oh, just as a btw, turns out that the people of my own personal faith, once they graduate from university, are MORE likely to remain active in their faith than mainstream Christians. I won't say anything else about that...you can go to another forum to discuss that. I'm only responding to your claim that homeschooling my kids will result in them getting pregnant with biracial babies and them becoming atheists. Remember; in public school they will get no religious education. Parents must provide that. If one homeschools, then one can include religious education with all topics. One doesn't have to do that, of course, and 'religious education' isn't why I'm for homeschooling. I'm just pointing out the incredible disconnect you seem to be using here.

Oh, and as to your warning that if I homeschool my kids, they'll turn into atheists and come home to bi-racial babies...as if that were a fate worse than every death imaginable?

*I'M' supposed to be the racist?

Great googly moogly.
            Well, admittingly you support the smorgasbord culture we now have… so, what is it again that you find so reprehensible about public school?
            Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and show thee great and difficult things, which thou knowest not. Jeremiah 33:3

Comment

Well, admittingly you support the smorgasbord culture we now have… so, what is it again that you find so reprehensible about public school?
              Excuse me, but what about my wanting to homeschool in order to avoid the culture that produces the current public schools encourages you to believe that I 'support the smorgasbord culture we now have?" Not that I'm against a diverse and inclusive culture. I'm not. Good heavens, the man I married should prove that one. What I don't get is that you, who are so much against home-schooling and insist that all kids go to public schools, are NOT approving of the 'smorgasbord culture' you don't like?

I'm not the one afraid my kids will run off and come back with a biracial baby. In fact, it seems pretty obvious that you are guilty of the things you are accusing me of.

Now WHICH educational system is more likely to NOT teach your kids any moral values?

.........public education.

Which educational system has a 150 + ratio of students to teachers, where the teacher might spend five minutes of time per student per day?

.......public education

Which educational system is pretty much guaranteed NOT to have any training in the arts, or music, or band?

.....public education, now a days, when the funding keeps getting cut.

Which educational system provides textbooks written by leftist wingnuts who revise history?

....public education.

Which educational system forces kids to deal with drug dealing street gangs that they absolutely will NOT want to deal with upon leaving school, but who are not being prepared to deal with anybody else?

....public education.

Now which educational system can provide religious and moral training. intense interaction with teachers and tutors, many 'field trips,' and interactive teaching in music, art, theater and dance, or oratory, or volunteerism, and working with people in ways that will HELP both those other people and the students?

Why....private home-schooling. That's which one.

No parent is qualified to teach everything, of course...but do you know how many on-line tutors and teachers absolutely LOVE to teach topics, individually, and give students and very small groups their personal attention...which they can because they can TEACH, not be the baby sitter? They are all over the place, and a lot of 'em are FREE.

Do you know how many home-school groups have parents that share resources among each other that give THEIR kids a richer and more varied education than they could ever find in a public school? MOST of them are free, and those which are not are very inexpensive, charging only for resource publications.

Frankly, sir, I believe that you are yelling at a mirror when you accuse me of being racist.

Comment

Excuse me, but what about my wanting to homeschool in order to avoid the culture that produces the current public schools encourages you to believe that I 'support the smorgasbord culture we now have?" Not that I'm against a diverse and inclusive culture. I'm not. Good heavens, the man I married should prove that one. What I don't get is that you, who are so much against home-schooling and insist that all kids go to public schools, are NOT approving of the 'smorgasbord culture' you don't like?

I'm not the one afraid my kids will run off and come back with a biracial baby. In fact, it seems pretty obvious that you are guilty of the things you are accusing me of.

Now WHICH educational system is more likely to NOT teach your kids any moral values?

.........public education.

Which educational system has a 150 + ratio of students to teachers, where the teacher might spend five minutes of time per student per day?

.......public education

Which educational system is pretty much guaranteed NOT to have any training in the arts, or music, or band?

.....public education, now a days, when the funding keeps getting cut.

Which educational system provides textbooks written by leftist wingnuts who revise history?

....public education.

Which educational system forces kids to deal with drug dealing street gangs that they absolutely will NOT want to deal with upon leaving school, but who are not being prepared to deal with anybody else?

....public education.

Now which educational system can provide religious and moral training. intense interaction with teachers and tutors, many 'field trips,' and interactive teaching in music, art, theater and dance, or oratory, or volunteerism, and working with people in ways that will HELP both those other people and the students?

Why....private home-schooling. That's which one.

No parent is qualified to teach everything, of course...but do you know how many on-line tutors and teachers absolutely LOVE to teach topics, individually, and give students and very small groups their personal attention...which they can because they can TEACH, not be the baby sitter? They are all over the place, and a lot of 'em are FREE.

Do you know how many home-school groups have parents that share resources among each other that give THEIR kids a richer and more varied education than they could ever find in a public school? MOST of them are free, and those which are not are very inexpensive, charging only for resource publications.

Frankly, sir, I believe that you are yelling at a mirror when you accuse me of being racist.
                You got all that from 'my post'... amazing!

Comment

You got all that from 'my post'... amazing!
                  yes, actually, I did. Yours and that of lightbeamrider. If I am reacting more to 'lightbeam' than I am to you, I apologize, but you do seem to be of the same mind.

Comment

I disagree with home schooling.
                    So you're anti-choice?

Our government is promoting and creating a smorgasbord culture for us commoners, so you might as well let your children learn to deal with it in public school at an early age.
                    Ah, yes. The old "homeschoolers are hermit bumpkins who are aafraid of the big, scary world" nonsense. Didn't realize that ignorance was still being spouted.

If you believe public schools are the only place children can learn about different people, then you need to get out of your bubble more often.

That way it won’t be so hard on them to adjust in the adult world.
                    Right. Because nothing says "easy to adjust to the adult world" like keeping them in a room full of children all day.

Does not matter to me where you send them. What i am saying is most here have little to any experience in Public Education.
                    I'm literally typing this while sitting in my classroom in my planning period.

You think you are helping them in the long run by mollycoddling them?
                    You think you're helping your argument by using straw men and ignorant stereotypes?

Good luck with that. Don't send them to secular colleges and wonder why they return full blown atheists.
                    All our kids went to secular universities. None of them are atheists. One son is an elder in his church.

Or the cherished daughter forfeits her virginity to some good time charlie at a drunk party. It happens all the time.
                    Yeah, that's why we taught them not to do that.

Garbage. You know next to zero about public education.
                    ...he said to the public school teacher.

You want to home school your children, fine but don't go telling me your so called noble reasons.
                    1. Because our public school was so far away, our children would have spent almost three hours a day on the bus.

2. Because our public schools did not/do not offer many subjects we believe are vital to a solid, well rounded education.

3. Because public education is systemically flawed and we did not want to subject our children to those failures.

4. Because there were more opportunities for socialization than a public school can provide.

5. Because we had access to professionals from their fields public schools don't and were able to provide learning experiences public schools can't.

6. Because we did not want them exposed to peer pressure or cultural influences we believe are immoral at best, destructive, at worst.

7. Because we like our kids.

Plenty do not want their kid sitting next to Forrest Gump or the kid from the hood. They think it will slow down their kids learning.
                    Actually, it does. One of the systemic problems with public education is that it is geared toward the lowest performing students.

Good luck with all that. And if your daughter comes home with a bi-racial baby then just remember even the best-laid plans......
                    Wow! Racist much?
                    Last edited by Mike McK; 02-12-2020, 03:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by doama
                      So....if you homeschool, why do you?
                      1. Because our public school was so far away, our children would have spent almost three hours a day on the bus.

2. Because our public schools did not/do not offer many subjects we believe are vital to a solid, well rounded education.

3. Because public education is systemically flawed and we did not want to subject our children to those failures.

4. Because there were more opportunities for socialization than a public school can provide.

5. Because we had access to professionals from their fields public schools don't and were able to provide learning experiences public schools can't.

6. Because we did not want them exposed to peer pressure or cultural influences we believe are immoral at best, destructive, at worst.

7. Because we like our kids.

And how much time do you spend doing it?
                      It's not the time as much as it's what is taught, the efficiency with which its taught, and how it is put to practical use.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike McK View Post

So you're anti-choice?
                        No, I'm an anti- 'open borders - anyone welcome, open door - we'll cover it, destroy my culture and children's morals, sanctuary city' kind of guy. I say when you live in a state, or city, which is supportive of this stuff (and especially if you’re personally supportive through your vote), then don't whine about what happens and who you have to share close quarters with, and then want to take your ball home and quit playing... instead, examine the political platform you're standing on and change it or move. If you don't live in a place like this, be thankful and support your public school, let them enforce rules and good behavior, and personally encourage your kids to respect and appreciate the reasonable and legal influx of diversity. What's the problem? This is not rocket science. It worked all through my school days.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike McK View Post

So you're anti-choice?
                          What choice? That somehow presupposes a level playing field. There is no level playing field. Publics accept all students that come to the door, including Forrest Gump and the non-English speaker. They cannot discriminate like privates. They cannot expel like privates. So what choice are you talking about? Choice is deception. At least be honest. Lets use a sports analogy. One side has all students on the team including the kid in the wheelchair and the other are handpicked and undergo tryouts to make the team. Oh and the rules are different for each team. You call that choice?

Ah, yes. The old "homeschoolers are hermit bumpkins who are aafraid of the big, scary world" nonsense. Didn't realize that ignorance was still being spouted.
                          See above speaking of ignorance. Choice indeed.

If you believe public schools are the only place children can learn about different people, then you need to get out of your bubble more often.
                          It is. Esp with parents who attempt to shield them from life realities. It is fine. But don't go spreading around disinformation about Public Education.

I'm literally typing this while sitting in my classroom in my planning period.
                          Then you are wasting classroom time. That is not what classrooms are for. You might as well be sitting on a public toilet typing this but that is not what toilets are for.

Right. Because nothing says "easy to adjust to the adult world" like keeping them in a room full of children all day.
                          That is how they learn. I don't think it is all that different in non public schools....Kids like each others company. They form friendships and play together. Not seeing the problem here.

You think you're helping your argument by using straw men and ignorant stereotypes?
                          Is that an argument? You did write schools teach to the lowest performers. Are you saying they do not have a right to an education in America? Are you saying your kid is too good to be sitting in the classroom next to Forrest Gump? What exactly is your problem with low performers?

...he said to the public school teacher.
                          What public school teacher? I can ask questions that would either verify or falsify the claim. Anyone can claim to be a school teacher on the net. It is a lot harder to corroborate. The claim is not reflected in the posts.

That is fine. I can walk to any three schools. K-12. I can watch the school buses pick up the kids for school from my window every morning. They pick them up and transport them to school and home. There are nurses, counselors, behavior specialists, and on it goes. They are fed, clothed, all kinds of giveaways. All there to accommodate the needs of kids while in schools. There is PTA at night, girl scouts, boy scouts and after school day care. Also sports. Feel free to ignore all that or take for granted. You will anyway. You see there are all kinds of people out there who are into the solution and put in their time on behalf of the children of their communities.

2. Because our public schools did not/do not offer many subjects we believe are vital to a solid, well-rounded education.
                          You can teach those subjects at home or in the church. The schools are there to educate kids, not raise them. That is the job of parents. Teachers are not parents. Do you know anything about Public school curriculum? How it has grown over the years?

Name the failures and let's just ignore the home failures. No sense in blaming the schools when a lot of the mandates are from outside the schools from noneducators. The schools are compelled by law to comply. So why are you blaming the schools? Speaking of ignorance?

Actually, it does. One of the systemic problems with public education is that it is geared toward the lowest performing students.
                          Straight up garbage. They accommodate those students because they are required by law. What part of every kid has a right to an education in America do you not understand? Like i said earlier, you do not want your child next to Forrest Gump in the schools. We see that all the time. So don't go on with your ignorant evals about flawed schools. They have PTAs and they have schoolboards. What percentage of your front line educators have master's degrees level education relative to your privates?
                          Last edited by lightbeamrider; 02-13-2020, 12:56 AM.

The same laws of entropy working against physical matter being eternal work against deep time.

Comment

What choice? That somehow presupposes a level playing field. There is no level playing field. Publics accept all students that come to the door, including Forrest Gump and the non-English speaker. They cannot discriminate like privates. They cannot expel like privates. So what choice are you talking about? Choice is deception. At least be honest. Lets use a sports analogy. One side has all students on the team including the kid in the wheelchair and the other are handpicked and undergo tryouts to make the team. Oh and the rules are different for each team. You call that choice?
                            Not for them. Which is why home-school and charter schools are good options.

...snip to...

Is that an argument? You did write schools teach to the lowest performers. Are you saying they do not have a right to an education in America? Are you saying your kid is too good to be sitting in the classroom next to Forrest Gump? What exactly is your problem with low performers?
                            Not a thing. Unless it is my kid being the low performer. In which case, it is my responsibility to make him/her a high performer.

What public school teacher? I can ask questions that would either verify or falsify the claim. Anyone can claim to be a school teacher on the net. It is a lot harder to corroborate. The claim is not reflected in the posts.

.STOP THE INSULTS!! NO INSINUATION OF LIES GIVEN

That is fine. I can walk to any three schools. K-12. I can watch the school buses pick up the kids for school from my window every morning. They pick them up and transport them to school and home. There are nurses, counselors, behavior specialists, and on it goes. They are fed, clothed, all kinds of giveaways. All there to accommodate the needs of kids while in schools. There is PTA at night, girl scouts, boy scouts and after school day care. Also sports. Feel free to ignore all that or take for granted. You will anyway. You see there are all kinds of people out there who are into the solution and put in their time on behalf of the children of their communities.
                            I see. So you are all about giving your children up to those whose agenda may not be yours, as long as you don't have to deal with them. Gotcha.

You can teach those subjects at home or in the church.
                            Yes. That's called 'home-school.'

the schools are there to educate kids, not raise them.
                            EDIT contrary to what poster actually stated DIVISIVE

That is the job of parents. Teachers are not parents. Do you know anything about Public school curriculum? How it has grown over the years?
                            Precisely. Parents are ultimately responsible for the well being and education of THEIR children. Teachers are there to teach children and help parents, NOT take over the job and be baby sitters. This is why I, personally, credentialed and all, am far happier helping parents homeschool than I am in a classroom, and I'll tell you this: the disabled and intellectually disadvantaged students do far better in an atmosphere of individual attention and love than they do warehoused in some classroom they get taken to in the 'short bus."

Now I don't know about you personally, but frankly? STOP THE INSULTS!!
                            Last edited by Mod15; Today, 07:51 PM. Reason: DIVISIVE

Comment

Not for them. Which is why home-school and charter schools are good options.

...snip to...

Not a thing. Unless it is my kid being the low performer. In which case, it is my responsibility to make him/her a high performer.

You realized that you just called this poster a liar, something that isn't allowed on the boards. However, go ahead and ask, don't just threaten to ask.

I see. So you are all about giving your children up to those whose agenda may not be yours, as long as you don't have to deal with them. Gotcha.

Yes. That's called 'home-school.'

From what you just wrote, it looks like you think that they are there to raise them.

Precisely. Parents are ultimately responsible for the well being and education of THEIR children. Teachers are there to teach children and help parents, NOT take over the job and be baby sitters. This is why I, personally, credentialed and all, am far happier helping parents homeschool than I am in a classroom, and I'll tell you this: the disabled and intellectually disadvantaged students do far better in an atmosphere of individual attention and love than they do warehoused in some classroom they get taken to in the 'short bus."

Now I don't know about you personally, but frankly? Your post contains little but trolling; stirring up controversy just because. It looks very much to me as if you are actually disagreeing with your own stated position.
                              Our points of contention has to do with your misrepresentation about Public schools with terms like warehouse kids based on ignorance combined with prejudice. Also unwelcome assessments. Dissent and correcting the record is trolling and stirring up controversy. It is a debate forum and dismissing dissent as trolling or stir up controversy is an appeal to logic fallacies as opposed to rational arguments. That means your implied education level is not reflected in your posts. Either that or they are giving away college degrees at the bottom of crackerjack boxes. What does warehouse kids even mean in the first place?
                              I think we can conclude it is not positive but just another toxic eval from a malcontent who obviously thinks he is there to save the children from all the commies in the schools or some such nonsense.

They have teacher aids that are assigned to students (one on one) so, again, you are factually wrong and i am tired of correcting your errors which do you no good as far as i can tell. Correction is for learning but that is not what is happening here. Teachers are not necessarily there to help parents like the maid or the babysitter. Obviously, and by your own admission, you do not have what it takes to be a front line educator but still do for-profit work in education and part of your shtick has to do with spreading disinformation about Public Education. Also vilifying front line educators through snide insinuations. What agendas are you addressing because the agenda of educators is to educate. That is why they are called educators but it sounds like you have some sort of tin foil hat conspiracy theory educators are out to capture little minds. This is also ignorance since students report to parents and parents complain to administrators and administrators have little meetings with teachers. Teacher do not need the hassle. You can ask any front line educator with at least five yrs experience and a Master's degree but you probably don't know any. Have a nice day.
                              Last edited by lightbeamrider; 02-13-2020, 05:56 PM.

Comment

Our points of contention has to do with your misrepresentation about Public schools with terms like warehouse kids based on ignorance combined with prejudice.
                                Excuse me, but my experience with public school is real. I know what happens. I know what sort of education kids get. I know how frustrating it is to BE a public school teacher. Do not make all your arguments here about dismissing me, my experience or my opinions. You are making it personal and insulting me because you have no real argument against what I'm saying.

In other words, you are insulting me any anybody who disagrees with you, calling them liars and demeaning them because you have no reasonable argument against what is being said. So you attack the speaker.

That's called an 'an hominem' attack, and is recognized as fallacious arguing pretty universally.

They have teacher aids that are assigned to students (one on one) so, again,
                                where do you live, that 'they' do that? Because in all my career I have never seen a one on one teacher-aid/ student ratio.

In fact, Elementary school teachers are likely to have a 40 to one student teacher ratio, with one student aid if they are lucky.

Middle and High school teachers generally teach at least five classes a day, with 35 to 40 students in each class. MOST of them don't get aides, so the student/teacher ratio is closer to 175 +/- than one to one, unless your version of 'public school' is like the school the Obama's sent their kids to, which cost them $30,000 a year per kid. That does include meals, though....and even IT doesn't include one to one aide/ to student ratios.

you are factually wrong and i am tired of correcting your errors which do you no good as far as i can tell.
                                What errors would those be? MInd you, I'd LOVE for you to prove to me that public schools provide one to one aide/student ratio, but that's not possible. Nor have I made any claims that I can't absolutely back up, or that you have disproved.

Correction is for learning but that is not what is happening here. Teachers are not necessarily there to help parents like the maid or the babysitter. Obviously, and by your own admission, you do not have what it takes to be a front line educator but still do for-profit work in education and part of your shtick has to do with spreading disinformation about Public Education. Also vilifying front line educators through snide insinuations. What agendas are you addressing because the agenda of educators is to educate. That is why they are called educators but it sounds like you have some sort of tin foil hat conspiracy theory educators are out to capture little minds. This is also ignorance since students report to parents and parents complain to administrators and administrators have little meetings with teachers. Teacher do not need the hassle. You can ask any front line educator with at least five yrs experience and a Master's degree but you probably don't know any. Have a nice day.
                                (shrug) you think what you want, and accuse what you want.

As it happens, I do have that experience myself, and a California credential (which is the equivalent of an MA pretty much everywhere else) and an MA and an "ABD.' That is, all but dissertation classwork done for a doctorate.

I have chosen to go online because I am 70, have cancer and am on chemo, and no, I can't handle the day to day work of a public high school teacher. This not a character or intellectual flaw on my part, y'know. It is a realization that homeschool is a viable option for parents who are serious about their children's education and are willing to do what is required.

Oh....consider this...MOST of the people who were educated, and advanced the world, were 'homeschooled' until the middle of the nineteenth century.

It's not a death sentence.

Comment

Working...
                                X