Why homeschool?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I see.

So a 40 to one teacher student ratio is 'factually incorrect' and therefore everything I wrote is bogus...

but you make the incredibly ridiculous claim that public schools offer a one to one student aide/student ratio, and you figure that it's OK for YOU to say such incredibly dumb stuff because, what...your heart is pure and you are appropriately politically correct and left wing?

Sheesh.

EDIT insult I suggest that rather than railing at me and other teachers who have actually 'been in the trenches,' that you go volunteer at your local school. You will find that the teachers there are a LOT closer to dealing with 40 kids per class than 25 or so, and NOBODY has a 1 to 1 student aide ratio, unless the kid brings his own aide with him and the problems are so severe that said kid is as likely to stab his neighbor as study with him.

And yes, I've taught those guys, too.

Not that you would believe me here, but do you know who my favorite student of all time was?

He was the local gang second. In my CLASS, he couldn't keep his mouth shut, and every other word was 'F***". He was incredibly disruptive, couldn't read past the third grade level, and his entire world was about not getting murdered, ,quite literally, by guys wanting his position in his gang. It was inevitable; he was expelled and made to go to a 'continuation school.' He'd been arrested for committing murder himself, within months of attending my class.

The following year he was in a 'homeschool' type environment. That is, he was in the local 'youth detention center,' and he chose his classes online. His 'classroom manager' was the armed cop standing beside the door, and he was handcuffed to his carrel. Now THAT was a one to one student teacher ratio, and believe you me, that doesn't happen anywhere else, except a true 'home school."

We spent a year with me teaching him English online. At the end of the year, he was up to grade level in his reading and math...BECAUSE HE DIDN"T HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT your socialization. Two years after that he was taking AP online classes. He never was able to deal in classes that had anybody but himself and his teacher (hello...homeschool) during his 'high school' years. I have since found out that he has completed his BA in two areas, and is going for his doctorate in education.

From prison.

Online.

He's going to be in prison for a very, very long time, but he has told me that it's OK with him; he's safe there, he doesn't have to prove himself to anybody, and he's already spoken with the warden, who supports him 100%. As soon as he gets the paperwork, he's going to be teaching in the prison where he is, 'homeschool style."

Oh, and he can keep 'going to school,' as the epitome of an autodidact.

Which is what homeschooling supports.

STOP THE INSULTS!!
    Last edited by Mod15; 02-22-2020, 07:42 PM.
    My opinions are mine, and my opinions are not necessarily the official stands or doctrines of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day saints.If you are not a member, your opinions are even less likely to represent them. Just sayin'.

Comment

Originally posted by doama
      Middle and High school teachers generally teach at least five classes a day, with 35 to 40 students in each class. MOST of them don't get aides
      Most of my classes have 22-24 students and the only aides I ever get is if a student has a "one on one". That is, if they're require special help and are assigned someone to accompany them to class by the school.

Oh....consider this...MOST of the people who were educated, and advanced the world, were 'homeschooled' until the middle of the nineteenth century.

It's not a death sentence.
      Long ago, I used to post on a now defunct message board with a woman who claimed to hold a "PhD in biology" but, for somebody who claimed t hold a PhD was shockingly ignorant about the world around her.

She was a huge opponent of home schooling. She seemed to have no idea that we live in an age where public schools and expensive college classes are only one of many ways to educate oneself today.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike McK View Post

Most of my classes have 22-24 students and the only aides I ever get is if a student has a "one on one". That is, if they're require special help and are assigned someone to accompany them to class by the school.

Long ago, I used to post on a now defunct message board with a woman who claimed to hold a "PhD in biology" but, for somebody who claimed t hold a PhD was shockingly ignorant about the world around her.

She was a huge opponent of home schooling. She seemed to have no idea that we live in an age where public schools and expensive college classes are only one of many ways to educate oneself today.

I have run into many internet claims of educational credentials that I, personally, had a problem accepting as 'real.' However, I went to college late, and I ran into so many students who got BA's and BS's and Masters and even doctorates who were shockingly ignorant of even their own fields. The whole thing is dependent upon who the student listens to, y'know?

I taught special education ...had the specific credentials to do so, and in one class one of the aides was assigned from the local prison and was armed. In California, for crying out loud. My classload IN THAT CLASS was eight, eight kids with MAJOR psychological and behavioral problems, and even with them there was no such thing as a one to one teacher/student relationship, or teacher's aide/student relationship. I believe that the most people I had in the room as aides was....three. That was for students who were accused of murder and rape, and who were checked for weapons EVERY time they came to class. Weapons, by the way, that were almost always found.

The only OTHER group that had aides at all were the severely mentally and physically disabled, and I didn't get one to one aids with them, either. In fact, I don't know anybody anywhere who DOES get that sort of support.

It would be very nice to have it, but it simply does not happen anywhere I know about.

Mind you, if the poster who claimed that public school provides such a thing anywhere, I would be extremely happy, and have my son move his wife and child there IMMEDIATELY.

In the meantime, I have a grand daughter who has a grandma with all the teaching credentials (with all the bells and whistles) and a mom with a BA, and a Dad who is an autodidact (He's a truck driver who would rather be seen wearing a pink tutu than in a college class...far more likely, I can actually SEE him wearing a pink tutu for his daughter, actually). They live a block away from an elementary school that is rated at the BOTTOM of the list for California schools, and California schools are rated at or near, the bottom of the list for schools in general. I do not see her going to public school. Ever.

I also don't see her suffering from a 'lack of socialization.'
        My opinions are mine, and my opinions are not necessarily the official stands or doctrines of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day saints.If you are not a member, your opinions are even less likely to represent them. Just sayin'.

Comment

Working...
        X