Announcement

Collapse

MESSAGE TO ALL USERS

- You are responsible to know the rules. https://carm.org/forum-rules
- We are working/modifying super membership stuff (http://carm.org/super-members)
- 12/27/2019 As most of you are aware, the carm forums crashed a few weeks ago. These boards are their replacement. They are formatted the same as the old ones. All your previous posts and reputation points are gone since we are on a completely new server. My apologies for the inconvenience.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Matt Slick
Founder and President of CARM.org
See more
See less

Instant Pot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Instant Pot

My son gave me an Instant Pot for Christmas. They didn't come here until January 5th the last day of Christmas. They had gone to Canada to see his wife's parents. Her dad is ill. I'm glad they went. They haven't seen them for Christmas in 10 years, always us, so I thought it was good for them to go.

Anyway, it took me awhile to figure out how to use this thing. My husband help me take it apart to wash it and then get it back together. I wasn't able to pull a lot of the things off of it to wash them. He did that for me and it seems that once he did it, I became able to do it myself.

Friday was the first day I made something. I made a rump roast. It came out really good, but I think I put the veggies in too early, they seemed way to soft. Next time I will do it a little differently.

Yesterday, I made French Onion soup. I love that soup and I make it quite often. I was shocked. It was the best I have ever had. The recipe wasn't that different but the onions were awesome. Now I'm looking to try something else. I got a Keto Instant Pot cookbook delivered yesterday. I can't wait to try it again.

Originally posted by Jael View Post
    My son gave me an Instant Pot for Christmas. They didn't come here until January 5th the last day of Christmas. They had gone to Canada to see his wife's parents. Her dad is ill. I'm glad they went. They haven't seen them for Christmas in 10 years, always us, so I thought it was good for them to go.

Anyway, it took me awhile to figure out how to use this thing. My husband help me take it apart to wash it and then get it back together. I wasn't able to pull a lot of the things off of it to wash them. He did that for me and it seems that once he did it, I became able to do it myself.

Friday was the first day I made something. I made a rump roast. It came out really good, but I think I put the veggies in too early, they seemed way to soft. Next time I will do it a little differently.

Yesterday, I made French Onion soup. I love that soup and I make it quite often. I was shocked. It was the best I have ever had. The recipe wasn't that different but the onions were awesome. Now I'm looking to try something else. I got a Keto Instant Pot cookbook delivered yesterday. I can't wait to try it again.
    Sounds great, I don't have that but is it like a pressure cooker?

Comment

Originally posted by Balshan View Post

Sounds great, I don't have that but is it like a pressure cooker?
      It is a pressure cooker, a slow cooker, saute and you can make yogurt and other things. I haven't got it all figured out yet. It is really nice.

Comment

It is a pressure cooker, a slow cooker, saute and you can make yogurt and other things. I haven't got it all figured out yet. It is really nice.
        Sounds great

Comment

pressure cookers intensify flavors, so the same soup in a pressure cooker can definitely taste better.

Comment

What brand did your son give you?

Comment

Originally posted by e v e View Post

pressure cookers intensify flavors, so the same soup in a pressure cooker can definitely taste better.
              True. ,I have cooked navy bean soup in my pressure cooker, since It only take a half hour, but now, if I make it, I usually use my slow cooker. Both methods make it taste good.
              "It is easy to fool a man, but almost impossible to get him to admit he was fooled." (attributed to Mark Twain)

"If the truth hurts--it's working." (Anonymous)

"Let the wife make her husband glad to come home and let him make her sorry to see him leave." (Martin Luther)

"A layman who has the Scripture is more than Pope or council without it."
              (Martin Luther)

Comment

Originally posted by Bonnie View Post

True. ,I have cooked navy bean soup in my pressure cooker, since It only take a half hour, but now, if I make it, I usually use my slow cooker. Both methods make it taste good.
                Ive no energy, having chronic fatigue, so cooking in a instant pot has helped a lot. I can hard boil a dozen eggs in 5 minutes in it...and make soups that used to take a lot longer, in 15 minutes. Often I just don't cook though, even in an instant pot. I try to stay organic and healthy, except for pizza... : ), and macaroni and cheese and spaghetti. (comfort foods!) I used to be a gourmet cook...... I just got so very basic in the last years.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonnie View Post

Do you use dry beans or canned beans when you make your soup?

Comment

Ive no energy, having chronic fatigue, so cooking in a instant pot has helped a lot. I can hard boil a dozen eggs in 5 minutes in it...and make soups that used to take a lot longer, in 15 minutes. Often I just don't cook though, even in an instant pot. I try to stay organic and healthy, except for pizza... : ), and macaroni and cheese and spaghetti. (comfort foods!) I used to be a gourmet cook...... I just got so very basic in the last years.
                    I have an instant pot Duo Nova. The only thing I don't like about it is that it is a 6 quart not an 8 quart. I think the larger size would be better, even though there are only 3 of us here.

Comment

I have an instant pot Duo Nova. The only thing I don't like about it is that it is a 6 quart not an 8 quart. I think the larger size would be better, even though there are only 3 of us here.
                      same! I have the duo and feel the same way.

when i make soup it goes almost to the very top.

Comment

same! I have the duo and feel the same way.

when i make soup it goes almost to the very top.
                        What kind of soup do you make? Do you have any good recipes? I made the French Onion and it was fabulous. I make beef and chicken broth every week and I have some left over meat from pot roast. I was thinking about making beef soup but I'm not sure what to put in it. I'm trying to cut down on carbs so that rules out rice and pasta.

Comment

Instant Pot: Save a few minutes in cooking, for only the low cost of more cleanup time and a loss of counter space!

Comment

Leftovers are great

Comment

This is a galician soup; I'm a spaniard! CALDO GALLEGO

I am using a Duo, so its slightly smaller than the 8 quart, mine is 6 qt, but this recipe can be made in the 8 qt. Just add more ingredients. This soup is eaten all over europe and goes by different names.

This recipe uses a lot of salt. I try to use organic ingredients and pink salt. Pink salt has no silica and really has no negative effect on blood pressure. Anyway, I have very low blood pressure so I add a lot of salt!!

Ingredients

Use 3 C cabbage, or, collard greens (precooked and drained or your soup will not be green) or a combination. Or, 3C turnip greens. I always use collards, since in spain that is more typical my family.

I used to use a frozen block of collards, and cook and drain out the green juice. But you can use fresh, just precook so the soup is not green. Kale, swiss chard. All should be good. I've seen recipes that way but I like collards.

Use 5 or so beef (or ham) hocks or bones , and brown them in the oven on high heat. Use the bones and simmer in water for broth after browning. I sometimes do skip this step and use stock and the soup is still delicious. It's just that they take up a lot of room so its best to make or buy the stock in advance. But this will give a nice beef bone broth to the soup. I use high heat and so the browned parts are quite dark. Some people use ham hocks instead.

To the Instant pot, add :

16 oz white beans, northern beans are okay. Cannellini beans are the standard and perfect.

1/4 cup or less extra-virgin olive oil

3-4 potatoes, cut up in large pieces. (peeled)

2 turnips, cut up in large pieces. (peeled) Large pieces are better since they won't overcook or fall apart too much.

About 12 oz., cut up Hard spanish chorizo. It's a bit like pepperoni, and I have used pepperoni too. This adds a lot of flavor. Cut into small pea size pieces. Doesn't have to be perfect or cubes, just not too huge. Some people like to use some smoked ham here instead. I never use pork and traditionally we never did that.

1 - 1/2 large onion, cut up

1/4 C white wine, optional, if room for it.

1 bay leaf

Lots of salt. Usually I salt after its done and I can open it, while it cools, adding to taste. to bring out all the flavors out takes a lot of salt. It's a very comforting soup and worth the salt.

Broth to cover.

All of this should fill the pot!

Pressure Cook in the instant pot 18 minutes.

When you can open the pot, Add pink or regular salt until it tastes Perfect. It will too.

https://www.bigoven.com/recipe/caldo...an-soup/193379 It sort of looks this way, very mediterranean, though this person's recipe has larger pieces of things and uses garlic as well. I don't recall every doing that, though imagine it would be nice.
                              Last edited by e v e; 01-15-2020, 02:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X