A guide to auto-correct in your electronic devices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A guide to auto-correct in your electronic devices

Ever been frustrated by the auto-correct in your cell phone, tablet, et. al.? I certainly have. Here is how to live with it better: think of the auto-correct in your device as a teeny, tiny little elf, who means well and is trying to be helpful, but instead, is just drunk.

"It is easy to fool a man, but almost impossible to get him to admit he was fooled." (attributed to Mark Twain)

"If the truth hurts--it's working." (Anonymous)

"Let the wife make her husband glad to come home and let him make her sorry to see him leave." (Martin Luther)

"A layman who has the Scripture is more than Pope or council without it."
    (Martin Luther)

"A Mormon acquaintance once pushed Mark Twain into an argument on the issue of polygamy. After a long and tedious exposition justifying the practice, the Mormon demanded that Twain cite any passage of scripture expressly forbidding the practice of plural marriage. 'Nothing easier,' Twain replied, 'No man can serve two masters.'"
    (source unknown)

Originally posted by Bonnie View Post
    Ever been frustrated by the auto-correct in your cell phone, tablet, et. al.? I certainly have. Here is how to live with it better: think of the auto-correct in your device as a teeny, tiny little elf, who means well and is trying to be helpful, but instead, is just drunk.

Hi Bonnie,
    Begin Rant:
    I don't care what it is, texting, posting what have you, it's been a major pain for me. I tried less agressive auto-correcting, but it was still a headache. Ultimately I shut it off as completely as possible and I just proof read like many of us once did with typewriters during the horse and buggy days . Sometimes the auto-correct changes what I write so much I no longer recognize it or half the time recall what I originally planned to say. With the feature mostly disabled (I'm not sure it's entirely eliminated just because it says it's off] at least I can still recognize what I was saying in the first place.
    You probabably have to be over 50 to have ever used a typewiter on a regular basis in the U.S..
    End of Rant.
    Last edited by Nic; 03-12-2020, 07:12 PM.
    1Corinthians 1:30-31
    And because of him you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God, righteousness and sanctification and redemption, 31 so that, as it is written, “Let the one who boasts, boast in the Lord.”

Comment

Oh, so you got rid of the drunken elf, ,eh? I didn't even know we could turn off auto-correct in our devices. We once had a desktop in 2000 that would auto-correct in emails. I was trying to write to friend of ours with the last name of Hollibaugh, and the danged computer kept correcting it to "horselaugh"! That "elf" must have been BEYOND drunk!

The laptop I am on now auto-corrects, but it doesn't when it should. Weird.
      "It is easy to fool a man, but almost impossible to get him to admit he was fooled." (attributed to Mark Twain)

"Let the wife make her husband glad to come home and let him make her sorry to see him leave." (Martin Luther)

(Martin Luther)

"A Mormon acquaintance once pushed Mark Twain into an argument on the issue of polygamy. After a long and tedious exposition justifying the practice, the Mormon demanded that Twain cite any passage of scripture expressly forbidding the practice of plural marriage. 'Nothing easier,' Twain replied, 'No man can serve two masters.'"
      (source unknown)

Comment

• Braam
        Braam commented
        Editing a comment
        Funny. Those drunken Elves can sometimes cause you embarrassment! Your grandma's china was polished, got changed to something heart stopping....

• Bonnie
        Bonnie commented
        Editing a comment
        Now you intrigue me...I cannot fathom what something heart stopping might be...other than a heart attack.

Oh, so you got rid of the drunken elf, ,eh? I didn't even know we could turn off auto-correct in our devices. We once had a desktop in 2000 that would auto-correct in emails. I was trying to write to friend of ours with the last name of Hollibaugh, and the danged computer kept correcting it to "horselaugh"! That "elf" must have been BEYOND drunk!

The laptop I am on now auto-corrects, but it doesn't when it should. Weird.
      Horselaugh? Too funny.
      Yeah you can minimize or shut off the elfin activity in "settings" or maybe "keyboard settings." The laptop may have a different protocol.
      And because of him you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God, righteousness and sanctification and redemption, 31 so that, as it is written, “Let the one who boasts, boast in the Lord.”

Comment

I couldn't find anything in my phone or tablet settings for cutting off auto-correct. It may be intrinsic to each. I don't know. Not computer savvy enough to know.

(Martin Luther)

(source unknown)

Comment

I couldn't find anything in my phone or tablet settings for cutting off auto-correct. It may be intrinsic to each. I don't know. Not computer savvy enough to know.
          I don't IPAD or IPHONE so if that's you, then I lack familiarity. With Android, lots of makes, models and OS releases. So that could also conflate navigation.

Comment

Originally posted by Nic View Post

I don't IPAD or IPHONE so if that's you, then I lack familiarity. With Android, lots of makes, models and OS releases. So that could also conflate navigation.
            I do Android. nt

(Martin Luther)

(source unknown)

Comment

• Nic
              Nic commented
              Editing a comment
              Not sure if the mods could assist you in pm'ing me with the details of your devices or if you'd be willing to post yr, make, model so to speak with current OS. I may be able to walk you through what I find.

My phone is a Galaxy Note 9.

(Martin Luther)

(source unknown)

Comment

My phone is a Galaxy Note 9.
              Android 10 or PIE (10's predessor)?
              Also sometimes Carrier info may factor as well. We can see if it works before you supply that info.
              My phone is factory unlocked and not carrier branded and receives updates before carrier branded phones yet the updates roll out when the carrier sees fit.
              Try this and let me know. These are steps for Note 9 courtesy of The Droid Guy sometimes these things are somewhat universal.
              Also are you using the default keyboard?

How To Turn Off Autocorrect On Galaxy Note 9
              • Open Settings in the app tray or by tapping the gear-shaped settings icon in the pulldown bar.
              • Find and select General Management.
              • Tap on Language & input and choose on-screen keyboard.
              • Select Samsung Keyboard (or whatever keyboard you use)
              • Next, tap on Smart Typing.
              • Uncheck Predictive Text (autocorrect)

Last edited by Nic; Yesterday, 05:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X