Announcement

Collapse

MESSAGE TO ALL USERS

- You are responsible to know the rules. https://carm.org/forum-rules
- We are working/modifying super membership stuff (http://carm.org/super-members)
- 12/27/2019 As most of you are aware, the carm forums crashed a few weeks ago. These boards are their replacement. They are formatted the same as the old ones. All your previous posts and reputation points are gone since we are on a completely new server. My apologies for the inconvenience.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Matt Slick
Founder and President of CARM.org
See more
See less

The Teleological Argument - Or how to brag about something that almost didn't happen.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Teleological Argument - Or how to brag about something that almost didn't happen.

I won't go over the numbers. They are a bore. I'll just grant them for the sake of argument.

Let's just stick with the rhetorical. Housed in the rhetorical premises itself are found the failure of the proposition if you root around for them, even trivially.

The proposition: The probability that life happened at all has such an astronomically small window of probability that it defines the term miracle. God hit a wonder-boy shot right off the tee.

Theists that use this argument would have you believe that god took a stick, made a ball of mud and spittle, and smacked the mud ball through the thickest of woods where only one path existed for the size of the ball and he directed it there against all odds.

But he's the almighty god. The tee box was as big as god himself, the club he makes is mighty, and his ball pure and true. The fairway was his and open to the entire expanse of his capacity as god. All around us we would witness the inevitability of this "of course, how else could anything be different!!!!!!" creation.

You can believe the former, or the latter. If you believe the former, you would have to admit it looks like the conditions god created, his conditions, were designed for the event to not happen at all and it seems one" just slipped by him" and he wishes he had gotten to that spackling job a bit earlier.
    Last edited by OT VIII; 01-12-2020, 02:52 PM.

Have you replicated God's experiment?

Comment

Originally posted by nouveau View Post
      Have you replicated God's experiment?
      That's not the point nouveau. The point is that the difficulty of the task does not imply god at all. It implies the opposite, or at least a god that works against himself. Yet those that propose the teleological argument say that the difficulty IS the evidence of god. Strange assertion all the way around.

Comment

I wonder just how big the number is. I also wonder what Émile Borel has to say about such a large number.

Comment

Originally posted by CrowCross View Post
          I wonder just how big the number is. I also wonder what Émile Borel has to say about such a large number.
          Being dead, probably nothing.

Comment

Me too. I wonder how it compares the stars an infinite universe.

I am guessing smaller. Much, much smaller.

Comment

Originally posted by OT VIII View Post
              I won't go over the numbers. They are a bore. I'll just grant them for the sake of argument.

Let's just stick with the rhetorical. Housed in the rhetorical premises itself are found the failure of the proposition if you root around for them, even trivially.

The proposition: The probability that life happened at all has such an astronomically small window of probability that it defines the term miracle.
              Nah. The probability that biological life could occur without it being imparted from an entity WITH life is zero.

God hit a wonder-boy shot right off the tee.
              Amen, sister. PREACH IT! Meanwhile all attempts to replicate this feat are worse than double bogies. Hopelessly lost in the woods.

Comment

Originally posted by The Pixie View Post
                Me too. I wonder how it compares the stars an infinite universe.

I am guessing smaller. Much, much smaller.
                Stars....that brings up more problems. They say there is something like 2 23 stars in the universe. That's a lot and I've read where that number might be low.....I've also read where all of the star stuff was once contained in a microscopic singularity. It seems that would take a lot of faith to believe that...

Anyway,OT VIII problems increase and add to the numbers when the reality...constants...expansion rates....and all of that precise space is included into the equation....and added to the probabilities of life forming. And we haven't even addressed Goldilocks and the planet earth as of yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Stiggywiggy View Post

Nah. The probability that biological life could occur without it being imparted from an entity WITH life is zero.

Amen, sister. PREACH IT! Meanwhile all attempts to replicate this feat are worse than double bogies. Hopelessly lost in the woods.
                  Were the terrible conditions making the event a long shot a design of the entity too? What part reveals more about the entities nature? The crap conditions or the lucky miracle shot?
                  Last edited by OT VIII; 01-13-2020, 04:27 PM.

Comment

Stars....that brings up more problems. They say there is something like 2 23 stars in the universe. That's a lot and I've read where that number might be low.....I've also read where all of the star stuff was once contained in a microscopic singularity. It seems that would take a lot of faith to believe that...

Anyway,OT VIII problems increase and add to the numbers when the reality...constants...expansion rates....and all of that precise space is included into the equation....and added to the probabilities of life forming. And we haven't even addressed Goldilocks and the planet earth as of yet.

We've solved it. We replace uncertainty with matter and energy that are dark and invisible. Our equations look dandy.

Comment

Were the terrible conditions making the event a long shot a design of the entity too.
                      It wasn't a long shot; it was a no shot.

Comment

Theists that use this argument would have you believe that god took a stick, made a ball of mud and spittle, and smacked the mud ball through the thickest of woods where only one path existed for the size of the ball and he directed it there against all odds.
                        I take it this thread was inspired by my Pool Challenge?

Science can take a hike.

Comment

Those aren't my assertion's problems if you understand the problem presented. The science gets to explore possibility of the event, and throw things in and out as it fits certain models. But it would seem the strata that god created is a tangled ball of twine that he just at one point said "Ah the heck with it... this ain't working, I'll just declare some stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Elijah View Post

We've solved it. We replace uncertainty with matter and energy that are dark and invisible. Our equations look dandy.
                            LOL....sure you have.

Comment

LOL....sure you have.
                              You doubt our equations look dandy?

The hair is perfect, the tie is straight, even the shoes are shined. Looking real purdy...

Comment

Working...
                              X