Ask an athiest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ask an athiest

We have not done one of these in a while. Feel free to ask an atheist anything. We'll do our best to answer. If you do not understand what an atheist is or what we believe, just ask. If you want to debate or point out why atheism is flawed, go for it. If you do not know the difference between atheism and secular humanism, we are here to help. if you have a favorite apologetic like The Argument from Causality bring it on. If you saw an apologist put a tough question to an atheist go ahead and ask - see how we respond.

To kick it off:

Atheist: one who does not believe in a god or gods

Atheism does not necessarily mean one believes God does not exist. It just means I do not believe in God. God might be real - I just have not seen enough evidence to prove it for me.

And atheists are not anti-Christian. For an atheist it is the same to say that God might be real, Zeus might be real, or Lord Shiva might be real. I just need evidence.

Anyhoo, fire away. We'll defend our beliefs for a change instead of just questioning yours
    Atheist: One who lacks belief in the existence of God or gods
    Empirical Evidence: is received by the senses; can be observed, measured, and tested by anyone.

OK - what evidence is there that god does not exist.

You can start with evidence nature caused the universe and life to begin.

Comment

Originally posted by Lighthearted Athieist View Post
      Atheism does not necessarily mean one believes God does not exist. It just means I do not believe in God. God might be real - I just have not seen enough evidence to prove it for me.
      SO you're CLAIMING to be an Atheist, when by your own admission, you're "just another" Agnostic, who's not sure what to believe about anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Carabbio View Post

SO you're CLAIMING to be an Atheist, when by your own admission, you're "just another" Agnostic, who's not sure what to believe about anything.
        Maybe LA would be better described as an aDEIST instead of an aTHEIST. In many respects I think the terminology surrounding atheism, agnosticism etc. is confusing and evolving. I'm not sure why you'd feel justified in jumping on him because of that.

Comment

(Responding to ferengi, what a mistake)

Originally posted by ferengi View Post

As you already know, there is no burden on someone to provide evidence that something does not exist. The burden falls upon you to prove that this thing that you claim exists, in fact exists.

No evidence for anything "causing the universe and life to begin" is needed, nor is it relevant.

(cue the misunderstood logical fallacy claims)

Comment

We have not done one of these in a while. Feel free to ask an atheist anything. We'll do our best to answer. If you do not understand what an atheist is or what we believe, just ask. If you want to debate or point out why atheism is flawed, go for it. If you do not know the difference between atheism and secular humanism, we are here to help. if you have a favorite apologetic like The Argument from Causality bring it on. If you saw an apologist put a tough question to an atheist go ahead and ask - see how we respond.

To kick it off:

And atheists are not anti-Christian. For an atheist it is the same to say that God might be real, Zeus might be real, or Lord Shiva might be real. I just need evidence.

Anyhoo, fire away. We'll defend our beliefs for a change instead of just questioning yours
            Sitting on the beach I can see about 1 mile or so in each direction and can't help to think that in just that small area there has to be more grains of sand than stars in the universe.

Then I Googled it.

From what I read the number of grains of sand on the beach is about...7.5X1018

I also have read that the number of stars in the heavens is about... 7X1022

Apparently all the beaches of the world combined had fewer grains of sand than stars in the heavens. Was I way off.

Comparing the sand and stars above should help us understand the enormous size of our universe and the entire amount of "stuff" needed to allow it to exist... And that's only counting the stars...not all the planets as wells as the supposed dark matter.

Then the Atheistic Evo-minded tell us things such as....

Approximately 13.7 billion years ago, the entirety of our universe was compressed into the confines of an atomic nucleus. Known as a singularity.

So, they tell us all the "stuff" of the universe was compressed....into the confines of an atomic nucleus. OK... It's true they proclaim.

That is what the Atheistic Evo-minded want you to have faith in.

Just collecting all the sand of all of the beaches and putting it into one bucket seems unlikely...yet they want the entirety of the universe squashed into a microscopic dot.

To be honest....the account presented in Genesis and the rest of scripture takes less faith to believe.

...and the evo-minded still didn't explain where all the stuff came from.

That's the big question.....How did all of the stuff of the universe self create iself from nothing? How could something be and not be at the same time?
            Perhps Lighthearted Athieist you could demonstrate how such "stuff' could exist with out an un-created creator.
            Last edited by CrowCross; 02-11-2020, 03:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Davan View Post
              The burden falls upon you to prove that this thing that you claim exists, in fact exists.
              Totally wrong. We who are Christians HAVE NO BURDEN TO PROVE ANYTHING. Our Burden is limited to living according to how HE wants us to live as HIS PEOPLE, and bearing witness to others of why we do. It's the Holy Spirit's "burden" to "prove" things to those who don't believe.

Comment

there is no burden on someone to provide evidence that something does not exis
                You just incurred the burden - you just claimed god does not exist - Now present evidence.

The burden falls upon you to prove that this thing that you claim exists, in fact exists.
                Shifting the burden since I made no claim

Comment

To kick it off:

Humans know about 5% of physical universe, well , too flimsy of a base.

Comment

To kick it off:

I have a much larger question but first I have a problem with the definition. Either God does exist or He does not. Christopher Hitchens seemed to have no problem saying there is no God. Short of that you sound like an agnostic.

My real question is what made you an atheist?

Comment

I do not have any.

I never said I believe this. Also, even if I could prove that 'nature' caused the universe to begin it would not prove that God is not real. God could have been behind that process.

So neither of your questions apply to atheism, my beliefs, or my post. But I am happy to tell you what I do believe if you ask instead of assume.

Empirical Evidence: is received by the senses; can be observed, measured, and tested by anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Carabbio View Post

No, I am an atheist. You are using the word incorrectly. I've found that many Christians define 'atheist' as one who believes god does not exist. This is incorrect. An atheist is one who does not believe in gods.

Christians also define an 'agnostic' as one who is not sure if God exists. They see it as kind of a half way point between being an atheist and a theist. This is also incorrect. An agnostic is someone who believes it is impossible to know if god is real or not.

You can label me however you like. The correct label is Atheist - one who does not believe in God. I am not an agnostic because I do believe it can be known if God exists. We just need evidence.

And I am quite sure what to believe about lots of things. I am sure I need evidence to believe in anything. For example, I believe in the moon, oceans, and hot dogs. I also believe the best pizza in the world in made in Brooklyn but that is more of an opinion than a belief.

Comment

Maybe LA would be better described as an aDEIST instead of an aTHEIST. In many respects I think the terminology surrounding atheism, agnosticism etc. is confusing and evolving. I'm not sure why you'd feel justified in jumping on him because of that.
                          No - I am an atheist - one who does not believe in gods. A deist believes in a supreme being. I do not.

Comment

I do not have any.
                            Then how is atheism rational?

Comment

To kick it off:

How do you objectively know that you haven't seen enough evidence?

Comment

Working...
                              X