• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• decline in several types of air pollution:

- fewer operating automobiles

- temporarily closed industries

- slowing demand for electrical generation

I've noticed very clear skies in Denver. Apparently, air pollution is declining worldwide according to data recorded from the Sentinel-5P satellite.

Report: The New York Times
    Last edited by inertia; 03-26-2020, 02:07 AM.
    " But I, the LORD, make the following promise: I have made a covenant governing the coming of day and night. I have established the fixed laws governing heaven and earth. " ( Jeremiah 33:25, NET)

- The exact sciences also start from the assumption that in the end, it will always be possible to understand nature, even in every new field of experience, but that we may make no a priori assumptions about the meaning of the word "understand." - Heisenberg

OTOH, that means less is getting produced and done. I don't care about the benefit to "the environment" if it comes at the price of human suffering.
    "There is no singular thing in nature that is more useful to man than a man who lives according to the guidance of reason."
    ~ Spinoza

Formerly Occam

Comment

Originally posted by Torin View Post
      OTOH, that means less is getting produced and done. I don't care about the benefit to "the environment" if it comes at the price of human suffering.
      That's understandable. I'm sharing an observation and was also wondering if anyone else noticed.

People noticed and were taking measurements.
      " But I, the LORD, make the following promise: I have made a covenant governing the coming of day and night. I have established the fixed laws governing heaven and earth. " ( Jeremiah 33:25, NET)

- The exact sciences also start from the assumption that in the end, it will always be possible to understand nature, even in every new field of experience, but that we may make no a priori assumptions about the meaning of the word "understand." - Heisenberg

Comment

Snake oil salesmen sell "renewables"

Panic merchants, hockey stickers tell us the world will end in 9 years.

Suffering.

New York flushed 750 million dollars down the toilet on a solar boondoggle. The solar needs 2 more billion for subsidy, back up power so the price at the meter also doubles.

A high-profile developer connected to Tesla’s solar factory in Buffalo, NY was convicted last Thursday of rigging the bids for several state-funded contracts worth hundreds of millions of dollars. During his sentencing last week, former SUNY Polytechnic Institute president Alain Kaloyeros was found by a Manhattan judge guilty of two counts of wire fraud and one count of wire fraud conspiracy.

Kaloyeros was, at one point, a prominent ally of New York Governor Andrew Cuomo. According to the U.S. Attorney’s Office for New York’s Southern District, the 62-year-old developer crafted contract-bidding documents to ensure that high-profile, taxpayer-funded construction projects were granted to two companies that have close ties with the NY governor. Among these is Tesla’s Gigafactory 2 facility in Buffalo, NY, which is tasked with manufacturing photovoltaic cells for the company’s Solar Roof tiles and solar panels. The Tesla solar factory contract was worth $750 million and is considered a centerpiece of the “Buffalo Billion,” a plan by the NY governor designed to push the city’s economy forward.
        Bribes kickbacks.

T
        he contract for Tesla’s solar factory was granted to LPCiminelli, whose president, Louis Ciminelli, was also convicted on Thursday of felonies. Two other individuals, Steven Aiello and Joseph Gerardi of COR Development were also convicted last week.
        SUFFERING

So crooked Cuomo didn't buy ventilators.

Cuomo Refused to Invest in More Ventilators for Pandemics – Instead Invested in Boondoggle Solar Panel Farm

After learning that the state’s stockpile of medical equipment had 16,000 fewer ventilators than New Yorkers would need in a severe pandemic, Gov. Andrew Cuomo came to a fork in the road in 2015. He could have chosen to buy more ventilators. Instead, he asked his health commissioner, Howard Zucker to assemble a task force and draft rules for rationing the ventilators they already had.

Comment

I should hope scientists are using this wide scale shutdown as a method to study environment conditions that otherwise could not be studied. It would be irresponsible to not take the opportunity provided by this natural disaster.

Comment

Tesla's POS solar panels have recently burned 7 Wal Mart stores

Walmart is suing Elon Musk's electric vehicle and clean energy company after Tesla solar panels atop seven of the retailer's stores allegedly caught fire, according a court filing. The Walmart suit alleges breach of contract, gross negligence and failure to live up to industry standards.
            Burning down Walmarts causes pollution.

Snakeoil salesmen signalling. Of course my source on Walmart is from their Engineering firm, not the greenie weenie tabloids.

Comment

Originally posted by Zaphod View Post
              I should hope scientists are using this wide scale shutdown as a method to study environment conditions that otherwise could not be studied. It would be irresponsible to not take the opportunity provided by this natural disaster.
              Indeed. Better reference points. Understanding the rate change in the concentration of gaseous pollutants should be helpful. I've also read the water around Venice is clearer.

Comment

Originally posted by inertia View Post
                - fewer operating automobiles

- temporarily closed industries

- slowing demand for electrical generation

I've noticed very clear skies in Denver.
                Apparently, air pollution is declining
                CO2 is invisible gas

Comment

However, less air pollution also reduces human suffering. It shows what the benefits would be if we completely replaced fossil fuels with renewable energy.

Comment

Originally posted by Votingblue View Post
                    However, less air pollution also reduces human suffering. It shows what the benefits would be if we completely replaced fossil fuels with renewable energy.
                    What are the benefits you're claiming to have observed? How do they counterbalance the suffering caused by not having those factories and cars running?
                    "There is no singular thing in nature that is more useful to man than a man who lives according to the guidance of reason."
                    ~ Spinoza

Formerly Occam

Comment

One could turn that around and opine that the environment does not care about human suffering.

Given some of the comments being made by experts regarding this current crisis, we appear to be bringing these catastrophes upon ourselves by our wilful destruction of habitat and biodiversity.
                      Sir Peter Medawar on pathogenic viruses, "Bad news wrapped in a protein"

CARM theological erudition on first century Judaism, "regular Jews doing their regular thing"

Attrib. Mark Twain,"No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot"

Comment

Originally posted by Votingblue View Post

Good point. During a time when worldwide respiratory illness is growing, our newly acquired data may be useful for reaching new standards.

Comment

What are the benefits you're claiming to have observed? How do they counterbalance the suffering caused by not having those factories and cars running?
                          I wasn't saying that it counterbalanced the suffering caused by the virus, but it does show the benefits of replacing fossil fuel with renewable energy.
                          air pollution kills people.

Comment

Working...
                          X