• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 He’s = 1 He? NO. 3 Who’s = 1 What.

Originally posted by Serve the Lord's God View Post

3 HEs = 1 He?
    Originally posted by TomL View Post

No 3 who's = 1 what

I have often said that intense study of the doctrine of the Trinity seems to confuse people more than help them.

I expect most Trinitarians who have NOT actually studied the doctrine too much would say the one God is a “He” rather than a “what”.

Isaiah 42:5... Thus saith God the LORD, he that created the heavens, and stretched them out; he that spread forth the earth, and that which cometh out of it; he that giveth breath unto the people upon it, and spirit to them that walk therein:

But after studying the doctrine more in-depth they will come to say the one God is a “what” (an “it”) because Trinitarian Catholic Catechism 252 says...

The Church uses the term "substance" (rendered also at times by "essence" or "nature") to designate the divine being in its unity

P.S.

Here is an overview of what I believe...

For this creation, the LORD God (the only one who transcends all creations) determined to create a universe with a kingdom of redeemed humans for his glory where he would reign as a human himself (the LORD incarnate). The Scriptures describe how the LORD would accomplish his plan. In an instant, the LORD in transcendence (called God the Father) created the supernatural and space-time of this universe and also became immanent as spirit (called the Spirit of God) and as a human with a glorious body (called the Son of God). God the Father (the LORD in transcendence) then created all things within the universe by the power of the Spirit of God (the LORD in immanence) commanded by the Son of God (the LORD incarnate). But whereas the LORD created a human spirit and soul for each of us, the LORD himself became the human spirit and soul of the Son of God (the LORD incarnate). At his conception, the Son of God’s glorious body was changed to a mortal body to be made like us so he could make reconciliation for our sins. At his resurrection, the Son of God’s mortal body was changed back to a glorious body and he will also give each of his elect a glorious body when he returns to reign in his kingdom forever.
    Last edited by Yahchristian; 02-13-2020, 12:02 PM.

Originally posted by Yahchristian View Post

I have often said that intense study of the doctrine of the Trinity seems to confuse people more than help them.

I expect most Trinitarians who have NOT actually studied the doctrine too much would say the one God is a “He” rather than a “what”.

Isaiah 42:5... Thus saith God the LORD, he that created the heavens, and stretched them out; he that spread forth the earth, and that which cometh out of it; he that giveth breath unto the people upon it, and spirit to them that walk therein:

But after studying the doctrine more in-depth they will come to say the one God is a “what” (an “it”) because Trinitarian Catholic Catechism 252 says...

The Church uses the term "substance" (rendered also at times by "essence" or "nature") to designate the divine being in its unity

P.S.

Here is an overview of what I believe...

For this creation, the LORD God (the only one who transcends all creations) determined to create a universe with a kingdom of redeemed humans for his glory where he would reign as a human himself (the LORD incarnate). The Scriptures describe how the LORD would accomplish his plan. In an instant, the LORD in transcendence (called God the Father) created the supernatural and space-time of this universe and also became immanent as spirit (called the Spirit of God) and as a human with a glorious body (called the Son of God). God the Father (the LORD in transcendence) then created all things within the universe by the power of the Spirit of God (the LORD in immanence) commanded by the Son of God (the LORD incarnate). But whereas the LORD created a human spirit and soul for each of us, the LORD himself became the human spirit and soul of the Son of God (the LORD incarnate). At his conception, the Son of God’s glorious body was changed to a mortal body to be made like us so he could make reconciliation for our sins. At his resurrection, the Son of God’s mortal body was changed back to a glorious body and he will also give each of his elect a glorious body when he returns to reign in his kingdom forever.
    You should ask a question.

Comment

Originally posted by eternomade View Post

You should ask a question.

Is the one God a He?

Comment

That was the doctrine of both the eastern and western church

Comment

Is the one God a He?
          That is how he speaks of himself and is also how Jesus referred to him.
          God wants full custody of is children, not just visits on Sunday.

Comment

The Trinity in toto can be referred to as "he" as it is a personal pronoun referring to a single referent. The Trinity in toto is a single referent, one single being, one single God, not many Gods. When referring to God in toto it would be improper (and incorrect) to refer to God as "they" as the doctrine of the Trinity does not teach many Gods. Likewise, each of the three persons may be referred to as God (a proper name) and each person is God (what). So in Isaiah 42.5, one God created, not many gods, and thus "he" is the correct pronoun grammatically.

TheLayman
            Last edited by TheLayman; 02-13-2020, 03:30 PM.

Comment

That was the doctrine of both the eastern and western church
              Right.

ALL Trinitarians use the term "substance" (rendered also at times by "essence" or "nature") to designate the divine being in its unity.

Whereas I believe the pronoun for God is “he” and not “it”.

Comment

Right.

ALL Trinitarians use the term "substance" (rendered also at times by "essence" or "nature") to designate the divine being in its unity.

Whereas I believe the pronoun for God is “he” and not “it”.

Isaiah 42:5 uses Ho Theos not an absoluteTheos

Ho Theos points to a person as we see from John 1:1 but does not exhaust the quality theos

Comment

I always say that the Trinity confuses unbelievers not believers who know God. God is Tri- Personal, not uni-personal.

Tri = the True God
                  uni = the false god.

hope this helps !!!
                  Last edited by Christophany; 02-13-2020, 02:20 PM.

Comment

Isaiah 42:5 uses Ho Theos not an absoluteTheos

Ho Theos points to a person as we see from John 1:1 but does not exhaust the quality theos
                    Get ready for the onslaught of questions from the spin dr himself lol.

Comment

Is the one God a He?
                      The Word, who is God and was with God is a "He".

Comment

Originally posted by Christophany View Post

I always say that the Trinity confuses unbelievers not believers who know God. God is Tri- Personal, not uni-personal.

Tri = the True God
                        uni = the false god.

hope this helps !!!
                        How about Jesus Christ's God? "Tri-personal"?

Comment

Originally posted by Christophany View Post

Get ready for the onslaught of questions from the spin dr himself lol.
                          Ok I will prepare myself

Comment

Why would we even BOTHER with a "Doctrine" of the Trinity???

We'll NEVER fully understand the totality of GOD on this side of the grass. So It's simpler just to know that Jesus gave testimony of the FATHER, the SON, and The HOLY SPIRIT, who are ONE LORD.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Carabbio View Post

Why would we even BOTHER with a "Doctrine" of the Trinity???

We'll NEVER fully understand the totality of GOD on this side of the grass. So It's simpler just to know that Jesus gave testimony of the FATHER, the SON, and The HOLY SPIRIT, who are ONE LORD.
                              Is that your DOCTRINE?

Do you also point and say "that's not a circle, it's a round thing!"

Comment

Working...
                              X