Open carry: how many guns is too many?

In situations like this, it can take only seconds before a heavily armed person begins shooting. Marley did not shoot anyone, but the outcome was different in a similar situation where the police elected not to act:

How should police handle these situations?
What limits should there be on carrying guns in public places?

Limit is the definition of infringe.

Well, most people seem to have an issue with heavily armed people in public places, as shown by the reaction of people in that Atlanta market.

I cannot believe that you, or anyone, would not run for their lives if a man emerged from a bathroom in a market or mall in full body armor and carrying multiple major guns. What reason would any normal person have for wearing body armor in a grocery store or carrying more than 3 guns? People who are paying attention know that recent mass murders have occurred in grocery stores, schools, a Walmart, and houses of worship. Places where people go everyday. Why should law enforcement be reluctant to stop someone outfitted like that man?

If you can provide a real world justification for being in a grocery store in full body armor and carrying multiple fully loaded weapons, please let us know. Citing the second amendment is not sufficient as there are restrictions on all rights, including gun rights, as Scalia pointed out in his Heller decision.

Restrictions = infringement

Sure people are killed in Chicago and other inner cities in gang warfare, but we are talking here of grocery stores.

And no, I don't live in Atlanta, but I do care about people who live there. I gather that is a foreign concept for you.

Restrictions = infringement
All rights have limitations/restrictions.
Scalia's Heller decision specifically noted the necessity of having restrictions on gun ownership.

People are not allowed to own fully automatic weapons.
Felons cannot own guns.
People who are under restraining orders cannot own guns.
Guns are not allowed in multiple places, like planes and the SCOTUS building.

I suppose that all depends on the alternative places for donning their body armor might be.

My experience is there very much like people who don't have body armor, except they do have body armor.

It never dawned on me to ask them. But that's only because I figured they don't owe me an explanation.

That is a remarkably stupid and counterfactual assumption in most cases. The police officers depicted below are wearing body armor. Those aren't donuts that are protecting them around their torso.

BodyArmor-Elbeco-__-1200x630-s.jpg

What does that have to do with anything?

What that tells me is that you label anything that's not bat ship crazy "right wing."

The record will show that I didn't say that.

Scalia is the Justice who pointed out that the term "bear" means to carry. Unless you're carrying a gun you're not bearing arms.

We do have such restrictions they're called laws. For example you can't use your gun to carry out a burglary, or a strong armed robbery, or murder. I think you'll find it that's not controversial in the least.

Why? I have freedom of speech, but are you gonna limit that two words that don't begin with Z? What happens if I'm a zoologist?

Unless you're writing a book you don't need to know. And even if you are writing a book he may choose not to tell you, which is precisely his prerogative. That's the nature of rights.

Why are you trying to guess his motivation for exercising his rights? It's really not your business.

And?

When did we transfer from a hypothetical question to a particular instance? You posed a general question and now you're switching to a particular instance, where some of the facts already appear to be established. Those are completely different scenarios.

Again we have gone from "a person" your words not mine, to a particular instance with particular facts that may have been correctly transmitted or possibly not, but that's a very different scenario. When you decide what your argument wants to consist of let me know.

Could you please link to me saying I wanted to hand out guns. If you can't do so this is your opportunity to correct the record.

Yes, and our fugitive slave law is pretty accommodating on the grounds that we don't have slavery. That's kind of the nature of having a right to bear arms is that you don't make laws in violation of constitution.

And before 1900 we virtually had no automobile accidents.

Actually the gun laws in Tombstone Arizona for example were unconstitutionally strict.

That's what happens when you start jumping to conclusions.

Well, if you're not planning on wrecking your car, why do you put on your seatbelt?

And to heck with all the people who can't afford to live in your neighborhood…
I gather that you are a gun enthusiast, and think it fine and dandy for men to be in public places while carrying multiple large and loaded guns and wearing body armor. Well, that guy in Atlanta caused a panic in that market, and rightly so.

Public safety should be a prime consideration, and there is no justifiable reason for anyone to appear like that in a market, church, theater, school, etc. Bystanders reasonably conclude that such individuals are about to start shooting, which happened in the Colorado case.

The increasing laxity of gun laws has gone too far.

Carrying a firearm is like hitting someone in the face?

We have right to bear arms. We do not have a right to commit murder.
Exactly - "you can shoot a gun, just not at innocent people."

The clause is a restriction, not an infringement, and you said the two were synonymous.

In situations like this, it can take only seconds before a heavily armed person begins shooting. Marley did not shoot anyone, but the outcome was different in a similar situation where the police elected not to act:

How should police handle these situations?
What limits should there be on carrying guns in public places?

How many votes are too many?

BTW, the parking lot was full of deadly weapons.

Yes.

Carrying a firearm is like hitting someone in the face?

We have right to bear arms. We do not have a right to commit murder.
So when you go to the supermarket or to church, you wear your body armor and carry at least two loaded guns?
And you would not be at all concerned if you saw someone similarly outfitted enter a school?

Back