Question about forum interaction

His clay

Introduction
Earlier today I was reading through Titus 3, and I came across the following passage.

10 As for a person who stirs up division, after warning him once and then twice, have nothing more to do with him,
11 knowing that such a person is warped and sinful; he is self-condemned. (Titus 3:10-11 ESV)
10 αἱρετικὸν ἄνθρωπον μετὰ μίαν καὶ δευτέραν νουθεσίαν παραιτοῦ,
11 εἰδὼς ὅτι ἐξέστραπται ὁ τοιοῦτος καὶ ἁμαρτάνει ὢν αὐτοκατάκριτος. (Titus 3:10-11 BGT)

My question comes from my very limited forum interaction, and my question comes from the passage quoted above.

Is my forum interaction, with certain posters, biblically warranted?

Personal Forum Interaction
Usually, I tend to give the most divisive 2-3 postings, and sometimes I'll give a poster upwards of up to 7-10 back and forth exchanges. At the end of that time period, if the poster has only dug himself/herself further into a grave with fallacy after fallacy, I usually call it quits. I'll conclude the discussion with a recap of the various fallacies present over the last several posts along with the poster's willingness to persist (often in matters of sin) in the fallacies in spite of their repeated refutation. However, I usually allow more discussion on a different thread with that person following the same pattern.

A Beginning look at verse 10
Unfortunately, my pattern (stated in the above paragraph) is being called into question by the scripture quoted above. A few points need to be observed from the passage.
-"a person who stirs up division" The prior verse (v9) points out a more Jewish aspect of division over the law, genealogies, etc. However, the prior verse (v9) speaks toward certain topics. It is topically focused. In contrast, verse 10 is specifically focused upon "a person." His admonishment concerns a person who stirs up division. Most obviously, this person would be the kind to raise the topics just mentioned (v9), and the person would not just raise them but also persist in them. The main descriptor of the person is that he is divisive. BDAG gives the following definition of the first word (in Greek) αἱρετικὸν "pert. to causing divisions, factions, division-making".

Verse 10 Structure
A pertinent detail of the passage is its structure in Greek. It begins with two words, then a prepositional phrase, then the verb.

Front and center (in Greek word order) is the divisive person. "As for a person who stirs up division"
Then the warnings to the person are stated in the prepositional phrase. "after warning him once and then twice"
The final word of the verse is the imperative/command. "have nothing more to do with him"

Verse 11
The verse opens with a participle, oida. Then appears a hoti clause. The content of the knowledge is made clear. Such a person is perverted/warped/twisted and sins, being self-condemned.

A reader of the passage can note the movement of the passage: unprofitable, foolish, worthless topics (v9), what to do with a divisive person (v10), the immoral character of the divisive person (v11).

Critical Application Questions
While the passage itself is fairly specific as to the topics of this divisive person (note v9), are there other biblical criteria that could also be applied to divisiveness? For example, is a person who lies about others, and persists in spite of warnings, a divisive person? Is a slanderer, who persists in spite of warnings, a divisive person? I've listed what I think are the two most common sins in this forum.

Please note that this is largely looking at the passage and asking application questions. I have not pointed out any poster in particular, and I have not pointed fingers at certain theological persuasions. The forums, and the topics therein, are the occasion to bring out the depravity in each of us. Note also, I have no problem with posters who disagree with me, and who are willing to be corrected, for we all are in need at times to receive reprimand. Iron does sharpen iron. Those who have a repentant, teachable spirit are not in the cross-hairs of the "divisive person" scope. My focus is more upon the person who is a habitual, unrepentant liar (straw man after straw man), and my focus is more upon the one who slanders others and even God himself by making false accusations.

For myself, this passage is calling into question (if is allowed that the divisive person is broader than the topics of verse 9) my willingness to engage divisive people over the span of many postings. If it is true that this is applicable to this forum, then I have been overly kind and patient, for I have gone over the 1-2 warnings stipulated in the passage.

These are my thoughts and musings with the passage. I hope and pray that they provoke good discussion and consideration.

Last edited:
Introduction
Earlier today I was reading through Titus 3, and I came across the following passage.

10 As for a person who stirs up division, after warning him once and then twice, have nothing more to do with him,
11 knowing that such a person is warped and sinful; he is self-condemned. (Titus 3:10-11 ESV)
11 εἰδὼς ὅτι ἐξέστραπται ὁ τοιοῦτος καὶ ἁμαρτάνει ὢν αὐτοκατάκριτος. (Titus 3:10-11 BGT)

My question comes from my very limited forum interaction, and my question comes from the passage quoted above.

Usually, I tend to give the most divisive 2-3 postings, and sometimes I'll give a poster upwards of up to 7-10 back and forth exchanges. At the end of that time period, if the poster has only dug himself/herself further into a grave with fallacy after fallacy, I usually call it quits. I'll conclude the discussion with a recap of the various fallacies present over the last several posts along with the poster's willingness to persist (often in matters of sin) in the fallacies in spite of their repeated refutation. However, I usually allow more discussion on a different thread with that person following the same pattern.

Unfortunately, my pattern (stated in the above paragraph) is being called into question by the scripture quoted above. A few points need to be observed from the passage.
-"a person who stirs up division" The prior verse (v9) points out a more Jewish aspect of division over the law, genealogies, etc. However, the prior verse (v9) speaks toward certain topics. It is topically focused. In contrast, verse 10 is specifically focused upon "a person." His admonishment concerns a person who stirs up division. Most obviously, this person would be the kind to raise the topics just mentioned (v9), and the person would not just raise them but also persist in them. The main descriptor of the person is that he is divisive. BDAG gives the following definition of the first word (in Greek) αἱρετικὸν "pert. to causing divisions, factions, division-making".

Verse 10 Structure
A pertinent detail of the passage is its structure in Greek. It begins with two words, then a prepositional phrase, then the verb.

Front and center (in Greek word order) is the divisive person. "As for a person who stirs up division"
Then the warnings to the person are stated in the prepositional phrase. "after warning him once and then twice"
The final word of the verse is the imperative/command. "have nothing more to do with him"

Verse 11
The verse opens with a participle, oida. Then appears a hoti clause. The content of the knowledge is made clear. Such a person is perverted/warped/twisted and sins, being self-condemned.

A reader of the passage can note the movement of the passage: unprofitable, foolish, worthless topics (v9), what to do with a divisive person (v10), the immoral character of the divisive person (v11).

While the passage itself is fairly specific as to the topics of this divisive person (note v9), are there other biblical criteria that could also be applied to divisiveness? For example, is a person who lies about others, and persists in spite of warnings, a divisive person? Is a slanderer, who persists in spite of warnings, a divisive person? I've listed what I think are the two most common sins in this forum.

Please note that this is largely looking at the passage and asking application questions. I have not pointed out any poster in particular, and I have not pointed fingers at certain theological persuasions. The forums, and the topics therein, are the occasion to bring out the depravity in each of us. Note also, I have no problem with posters who disagree with me, and who are willing to be corrected, for we all are in need at times to receive reprimand. Iron does sharpen iron. Those who have a repentant, teachable spirit are not in the cross-hairs of the "divisive person" scope. My focus is more upon the person who is a habitual, unrepentant liar (straw man after straw man), and my focus is more upon the one who slanders others and even God himself by making false accusations.

For myself, this passage is calling into question (if is allowed that the divisive person is broader than the topics of verse 9) my willingness to engage divisive people over the span of many postings. If it is true that this is applicable to this forum, then I have been overly kind and patient, for I have gone over the 1-2 warnings stipulated in the passage.

These are my thoughts and musings with the passage. I hope and pray that they provoke good discussion and consideration.
I am leaning towards we are to reject these types much sooner than when we do, according to Scripture.

Their twisted ways and words are to be cut short of spreading. I think continuing to engage them merely spreads their errors, and they become more twisted in their teachings the longer they are engaged, deceiving themselves and others, 2 Timothy 3:13.

I think we get caught up in trying to withstand them over and over instead of obeying this text. It would save us a lot of grief and add to more time well spent. Continuing to engage them is not profitable.

Matthew 7:6 and Romans 16:17 also come to mind.

Introduction

Verse 10 Structure

Verse 11

It can be applicable; if you had Authority; CARM Forums is not the Church. In the Church, you can cast the person out through Church Discipline. Leaving a Poster alone HERE, then taking a step back; makes them THE lone teacher...

Follow your Conscience...

It can be applicable; if you had Authority;
No one needs authority to obey the imperative here. This isn't merely relegated to a church setting, it is applicable here at CARM and elsewhere. I see nothing in Scripture saying we need to, on an individual level, since we are not the church continue to engage them. The wisdom of Proverbs comes to mind.
CARM Forums is not the Church.
Of course, yet this passage still applies with authority individually.
In the Church, you can cast the person out through Church Discipline.
Ultimately, yes, but that doesn't mean individually we have no authority to obey this on an individual level. Casting a person out is the last resort, restoration is the objective.
Leaving a Poster alone HERE, and taking a step back; makes them THE lone teacher...
Book, chapter, verse? So we should feed the trolls?

No, but we're to give an Answer to those who ask us of the Hope we have;
That's another issue altogether, it is non sequitur on this issue. Those quarreling here aren't asking this question, they are trolling, sowing discord, and attacking truth.
doing this in gentleness.
In that context yes, but that isn't here.
Theoretically, the Lurkers have questions about Soteriology...
That's yet another subject. Matthew 7:6 and Titus are to be obeyed, not considered due to some alleged online observers.

That's another issue altogether, it is non sequitur on this issue. Those quarreling here aren't asking this question, they are trolling, sowing discord, and attacking truth.

In that context yes, but that isn't here.

That's yet another subject. Matthew 7:6 and Titus are to be obeyed, not considered due to some alleged online observers.
It's why I sometimes speak to the Lurkers thru someone else's Post, avoiding Posters I know will not take-in what I have to say. When they actually discuss something for a change, I'll talk to them; until it turns. I often thank Posters for giving me the opportunity to speak to the Lurkers. I recommend that the OP consider this. He often comes back and contends with the same people over and over...

Okay; let's say @His clay follows his Conscience and quits talking to these Posters. What then? I'm glad he talks to them, he's got a lot of good things to say; it helps me...

I found my discussions with @Josheb very interesting and I'll be responding back to him with a summary of my conversational points.

Last edited:
For myself, this passage is calling into question (if is allowed that the divisive person is broader than the topics of verse 9) my willingness to engage divisive people over the span of many postings. ...
The context seems to be Jewish laws; in this forum would that include System of Theology and philosophy?

It's why I sometimes speak to the Lurkers thru someone else's Post, avoiding Posters I know will not take-in what I have to say. When they actually discuss something for a change, I'll talk to them; until it turns. I often thank Posters for giving me the opportunity to speak to the Lurkers. I recommend that the OP consider this. He often comes back and contends with the same people over and over...
I'm looking at the tangible nature of the OP.
Okay; let's say @His clay follows his Conscience and quits talking to these Posters. What then? I'm glad he talks to them, he's got a lot of good things to say; it helps me...
I'm not politicking or being subjective by appealing to emotion, I'm trying to be objective in relation to Scripture.

None of what I addressed Biblically has been addressed, it's all been subjective, emotional, and intangible.

Last edited:
I'm looking at the tangible nature of the OP.

I'm not politicking or being subjective by appealing to emotion, I'm trying to be objective in relation Scripture.

None of what I addressed Biblically has been addressed, it's all been subjective, emotional, and intangible.
Obviously, he is convicted about it...

There is Freedom in Christ. It sounds like he is asking for opinions; he doesn't have to be Legalistic about it, if he doesn't want to...

If he wipes the dust off his feet, we've lost a lot; he's our Rocky Balboa...

Last edited:
Knockout! ~ by ReverendRV * June 20

Psalm 37:24+ Proverbs 24:16 KJV
; though he fall, he shall not be cast headlong, for the LORD upholds his hand. For a just man falleth seven times, and riseth up again: but the wicked shall fall into mischief.

I know a Christian man who has fallen over and over again. There are people who wonder if he’s even Saved at all; and I don’t blame them. This man has fallen into the same snare and pitfall over and over again. We can look at him and see that he does cast dirt on Jesus, and that can be all the reason a Sinner needs to avoid having a conversation about their spiritual condition. But we don’t notice how a Christian like this can also be an inspiration; because he keeps getting up. ~ You have to admit that Stallone made a killing off of the Rocky franchise. Apollo Creed beat the Italian Stallion black and blue, but when Creed was waiting for the ten count, his face soured when Rocky got up every time. Rocky was outclassed by his opponent, but tenacity won him a victory. ~ Christians face trials and fall; but get up before a TKO…

But the Proverb says the Wicked shall Fall into mischief. ~ What do you call people who tell Lies? Have you ever Lied about where you were going? Why was that; were you up to something? What do you call people who steal? Have you ever been with someone who stole anything? A Court would call you an Accomplice, right? You object, “But there are different degrees, I’m not a Thief!” Okay; but do you know there is more than one degree of Hell too? While we’re talking about first and second degree, Jesus said that Hatred is Murder from the heart; and he’s God’s appointed Judge for Mankind. What if the Bible is true?! There are many reasons to believe it is, a short study is all it takes. These were only three of the Ten Commandments, if God judged you by his standard would you be innocent or guilty? Would you go to Heaven or to Hell? If this doesn’t bother you, the Bible calls you a Fallen, Wicked mischief maker…

If you’ve felt like God has just cold cocked you and rang your bell, you will not be cast headlong, for God himself upholds you; get up! ~ For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten Son that whosoever believes in him shall not perish but have everlasting Life. Jesus Christ is the Son of God, conceived of the Holy Spirit when he overshadowed the Virgin Mary; this assured he would be born virtuous. Jesus lived his entire life never Falling because he was never outclassed. Satan thought he had a victory when Jesus bled to death on the Cross and stayed dead for three days; but before the bell rang Jesus’ hands were raised! We’re Saved by the Grace of God through Faith in the risen Savior Jesus Christ, without Working to get off the mat. Repent of your Sins, Confess Jesus Christ as your Lord God and get up every time you stumble. ~ You’ve heard of Christians losing their Salvation, but they were never of us. True Christians Persevere in the Faith, that’s why there are several verses about God’s Grace abounding to help us…

Psalm 55:2+Micah 7:8 KJV; Cast your burden upon the LORD and He will sustain you; He will never let the righteous be shaken. Rejoice not against me, O mine enemy: when I fall, I shall arise; when I sit in darkness, the LORD shall be a light unto me.

Obviously, he is convicted about it...
Good for him, Scripture does that, and it is a very good thing.
There is Freedom in Christ.
Of course.
It sounds like he is asking for opinions;
OK.
he doesn't have to be Legalistic...
Legalistic? I'm not seeing that as being part of this. You appear to be leading with that statement, it is more of an emotional appeal.
If he wipes the dust off his feet, we've lost a lot...
You're appealing to emotion again. If one decides not to engage the Titus types mentioned I don't see that as a loss. Obviously you do, you think they should keep addressing these types. I say there is no need, that it isn't necessary, and if they decide not to, good for them.

I'll say this, the internet doesn't hold sway over any, unless one allows it to. It has no authority, it doesn't necessitate having to be addressed. Those on here who cause division need to be avoided, it is biblical to do so.

You seem to think that if one dusts off his feet over it, it's a loss, and that one needs to stay engaged in the quarelling to remain relevant. That's an appeal to emotion, it is not an appeal to Biblical truth.

You know there is real life outside of here, correct?

Good for him, Scripture does that, and it is a very good thing.

Of course.

OK.

Legalistic? I'm not seeing that as being part of this. You appear to be leading with that statement, it is more of an emotional appeal.

You're appealing to emotion again. If one decides not to engage the Titus types mentioned I don't see that as a loss. Obviously you do, you think they should keep addressing these things. I say there is no need, that it isn't necessary, and if they decide not to, good for them.

I'll say this, the internet doesn't hold sway over any, unless one allows it to. It has no authority, it doesn't necessitate having to be addressed. Those on here who cause division need to be avoided, it is biblical to do so.

You seem to think that if one dusts off his feet over it, it's a loss, and that one needs to stay engaged in the quarelling to remain relevant. That's an appeal to emotion, it is not an appeal to Biblical truth.

You know there is real life outside of here, correct?
Correct, I am making an emotional appeal. We can see what he thinks about my use of it...

I think it's a matter of Conscience, especially since he is asking. If his Mind is already made up, he shouldn't ask. If the Passage has no leeway, he is making an emotional appeal to his Liberty; by asking if he can ignore it...

Last edited:
Back