What was counted to Abraham for righteousness?

Nope, no such thing as a "Sin Nature". There's only a HUMAN NATURE, which Adam had before, AND after he tossed God under the bus. Jesus had a HUMAN NATURE (since He was tempted just like us), and I've got one - just like you.

Catholics think there's one, since they have to have SOME EXCUSE to sprinkle Babies.
I'm Evangelical tho

water baptism was first a foremost a Jewish thing really, as is the meal that the bread and wine activity comes from
do gentile Christians even ask Jews in Jesus about those things to make sure they approach them correctly?
probably not, so who knows what some might do or think
they might not even believe in a Rapture! LOLZ

fallen "human nature" is an inherited Sin nature - that is why we commit sins, even as completely forgiven persons and even as Believers

Adam ate/touched a piece of fruit that God said not to - it wouldn't have mattered what the command was IMO
maybe he didn't want to lose his foxy wife...dude was only seven years old/maybe looking 30ish at the time
cut our first Father and Mother a bit of slack yo
and brothers and sisters marrying and making many babies..whoa, what a time to be alive!

it is not a sin to be tempted, obviously

Last edited:
Genesis 15
6 And he believed in the Lord; and he counted it to him for righteousness.

Galatians 3
6 Even as Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.

James 2
23 And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.

Romans 4
3 For what saith the scripture? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness.

What is the "it" that is counted for righteousness?

Romans 4
9 Cometh this blessedness then upon the circumcision only, or upon the uncircumcision also? for we say that faith was reckoned to Abraham for righteousness.

My question; What was counted/reckoned to Abraham for righteousness?

I believe "faith" here refers to the "law of faith" in Romans 3:27, which I define as the merits of Christ on Calvary.

Romans 3
27 Where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? of works? Nay: but by the law of faith.
Yes, but his faith was credited only after God had already initiated the covenant relationship. His faith was credited only after God had chosen him. His faith was credited only after God had called him. His faith was credited only after God commanded him to obey. His faith was credited only after Abraham demonstrated it by faithfulness.

In other words, Abraham's faith was not the faith of a still-sinfully-dead-and-enslaved person living outside of an already established covenant with God that God initiated and established without once asking Abraham if he wanted to belong or not. Talk about the critical necessity of faith all you like but do not ignore all the contexts in which it always exists in scripture when it comes to the gospel. Abraham had two sons and both believed in God but God covenanted with only one of them before either child was born, and neither were the seed of the covenant. The same proved true with that man's two sons. Do not neglect the undeniable contexts. Don't separate faith as if it stands alone in the mind and will of the unregenerate apart from all that God does before He gifts it to the sinfully dead and enslaved sinner with a mind of flesh who thinks futilely, and whose heart is darkened.

I don't think you will, word for word.
Thanks for that forthcomingness. Very much appreciated. Is the reason for my inquiry understood?

I subscribe to the use of "covenant" waaaay more that the use of "dispensation," and I do so because I can actually find covenants labeled by scripture itself in its own text. I cannot do the same with dispensations. Similarly (because this is the Arm v Cal board and not the Eschatology board ;)), I can't find "covenant of grace" in my Bible stated any more than I can find "prevenient grace." We're all making inferences, some of them reasonable, rational, exegetical, and some of them not.

I hope you don't mind my exploiting the opportunity to make that point (I know it wasn't your intent to demand anything expressly eisegetic).

When it comes to the matter of salvation, I can point to plenty of verses explicitly stating God does X, but I can't find anything explicitly stating anything in the sinful flesh is salvifically meritorious (like fleshly faith).

Are you being disingenuous? ;) ? :unsure:
No, I am not being disingenuous. Consider our brother @eternomade's commendably accurate and collaborative response (#147), my ensuing appreciation, and explanation for the inquiry (#153). Since I can't read another's mind it's best if I ask questions where clarification is needed and answer the questions asked without untoward thought when requested.

No, I am not being disingenuous.
Lol! OK, but I'd beg to differ, you knew the phrase wasn't in Scripture.

That is the definition of being disingenuous.

Are you unable to own up to anything Josheb?
Consider our brother @eternomade's commendably more accurate and collaborative response, my ensuing appreciation, and explanation for the inquiry.
That has nothing to do with your disingenuous post. ? ;)

sowing discord as you say judging another man’s motives ^^^^^
LOL!!!!!!!! Showing a question was asked disingenuously isn't sowing discord. He knew the answer, and that is the epitome of being disingenuous. I didn't have to judge a thing, it was right out in the open.

That is, unless @Josheb wants to tell us he didn't know if the phrase was in Scripture or not.

He knew, so I rest my case.

Lastly, Thou dost protest too much. I'm done with your trolling and behavior and putting you to rest. I don't see anything profitable in engaging you.

cov·e·nant
[ˈkəvənənt]
NOUN
covenants (plural noun)

1. an agreement:
    "there was a covenant between them that her name was never to be mentioned"
VERB
covenants (third person present)

• agree by lease, deed, or other legal contract:
      "the landlord covenants to repair the property"

Last edited:
Back