Faith Alone

Eph 2:8-10
There is no mention of faith alone...I see grace through faith and I see good works. Vs 9 is referring to works of the Law. Paul was telling the gentiles that they did not have to follow the law...read down to vs 15
8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.
10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

Eph 2:8-10
Ephesians 2:8 - For by grace you have been saved through faith, "apart from additions or modifications" (faith alone) and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, 9 not of works, lest anyone should boast. 10 For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them. So we are saved for good works and not by good works.

The Bible clearly states in many passages of scripture that we are saved through belief/faith "apart from additions or modifications." (John 1:12; 3:15,16,18,36; 6:40,47; 11:25,26; Acts 10:43; 13:39; 16:31; 26:18; Romans 1:16; 3:24-28; 4:5; 10:4; 1 Corinthians 1:21; Galatians 2:16; Ephesians 2:8; Philippians 3:9; 2 Timothy 3:15; 1 John 5:13 etc..).

We don't need to add the word "alone" next to "belief/faith" in each of these passages of scripture in order to figure out that the words, "belief/faith" stand alone in connection with receiving eternal life/salvation. Do these many passages of scripture say belief/faith "plus something else?" Plus works? NO. So then it's faith (rightly understood) IN CHRIST ALONE.

Ephesians 2:8 - For by grace you have been saved through faith, "apart from additions or modifications" (faith alone) and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, 9 not of works, lest anyone should boast. 10 For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them. So we are saved for good works and not by good works.
you just made additions to the word of God...plus faith is not alone it works with grace.
The Bible clearly states in many passages of scripture that we are saved through belief/faith "apart from additions or modifications." (John 1:12; 3:15,16,18,36; 6:40,47; 11:25,26; Acts 10:43; 13:39; 16:31; 26:18; Romans 1:16; 3:24-28; 4:5; 10:4; 1 Corinthians 1:21; Galatians 2:16; Ephesians 2:8; Philippians 3:9; 2 Timothy 3:15; 1 John 5:13 etc..).
That does not mean faith is alone. Faith works with grace and without works faith is ineffective
We don't need to add the word "alone" next to "belief/faith" in each of these passages of scripture in order to figure out that the words, "belief/faith" stand alone in connection with receiving eternal life/salvation.
But when you add alone next to faith it becomes in effective...Faith without works is dead...ineffective.
Do these many passages of scripture say belief/faith "plus something else?" Plus works? NO.
Yes, they do, faith with works is effective.
So then it's faith (rightly understood) IN CHRIST ALONE.
No, it is faith with works in Christ who is in God. Christ is not alone...
John 8:16
And yet if I judge, my judgment is true: for I am not alone, but I and the Father that sent me.

There is no mention of faith alone...I see grace through faith and I see good works. Vs 9 is referring to works of the Law. Paul was telling the gentiles that they did not have to follow the law...read down to vs 15
8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.
10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.
So your issue is with the term "faith alone" because the term is not quoted specifically in scripture? Fair enough.

you just made additions to the word of God...plus faith is not alone it works with grace.
I made clarifications, not additions.

That does not mean faith is alone. Faith works with grace and without works faith is ineffective
Although authentic faith does not remain alone (barren of works - James 2:14-24) we are still saved by grace through faith and not by works. (Ephesians 2:8,9) We have access by faith into grace (Romans 5:1-2) and not by works and God imputes righteousness apart from works. (Romans 4:5-6) An empty profession of faith/dead faith that remains alone (barren of works) is ineffective. (James 2:14)

But when you add alone next to faith it becomes in effective...Faith without works is dead...ineffective.
No it doesn't. Faith that trusts in Christ alone for salvation is not ineffective. (Ephesians 2:5-10) Faith without works is dead does not mean that faith is dead UNTIL it produces works and then it becomes a living faith, which would be like saying that a tree is dead UNTIL it produces fruit and then it becomes a living tree. Cart before the horse. Something that is dead cannot produce anything. James is simply saying faith that is not accompanied by evidential works demonstrates that it's dead. If someone merely says-claims (key word) they have faith, yet lack resulting evidential works, then they demonstrate that they have an empty profession of faith/dead faith and not authentic faith. (James 2:14) Simple!

Yes, they do, faith with works is effective.
Show me which one of these passages of scripture say belief/faith "plus something else." (John 1:12; 3:15,16,18,36; 6:40,47; 11:25,26; Acts 10:43; 13:39; 16:31; 26:18; Romans 1:16; 3:24-28; 4:5; 10:4; 1 Corinthians 1:21; Galatians 2:16; Ephesians 2:8; Philippians 3:9; 2 Timothy 3:15; 1 John 5:13 etc..).

No, it is faith with works in Christ who is in God. Christ is not alone...
It's faith (rightly understood) IN CHRIST ALONE that brings salvation (Romans 4:5-6; Ephesians 2:8,9) and works follow as the fruit, by product and demonstrative evidence of authentic faith in Christ, yet works are not the basis or means by which we obtain salvation.
And yet if I judge, my judgment is true: for I am not alone, but I and the Father that sent me.
Man is saved through faith and not by works (Ephesians 2:8,9; Titus 3:5; 2 Timothy 1:9); yet genuine faith is substantiated, evidenced by works (James 2:14-24). Christ saves us through faith based on the merits of His finished work of redemption "alone" and not based on the merits of our works. (Romans 3:24-28) It is through faith "in Christ alone" (and not based on the merits of our works) that we are justified on account of Christ (Romans 3:24; 5:1; 5:9); yet the faith that justifies does not remain alone (unfruitful, barren) if it is genuine (James 2:14-24). *Perfect Harmony*

We don't need to add the word "alone" next to "belief/faith" in each of these passages of scripture in order to figure out that the words, "belief/faith" stand alone in connection with receiving eternal life/salvation. Do these many passages of scripture say belief/faith "plus something else?" Plus works? NO. So then it's faith (rightly understood) IN CHRIST ALONE.
Fair point. I use the term as it was used by Martin Luther "The five solas state that Christians are saved by grace alone, through faith alone, in Christ alone, as revealed by Scripture alone, to the glory of God alone." The conclusion is the same.

In this context, I consider it a given that "faith" is more than just mere belief - "Faith without works is dead."

Salvation is available to everyone. You said Not a single mortal on earth knows if another is saved, then the opposite must also be true Not a single mortal on earth knows if another will not be saved...
One thing is for sure--they must be serving the true God according to his will( Matt 7:21) and believing in the real Jesus--there are 4 different ones being taught on earth.

Just because you call your self an electrician...and a person might actually be one...it isn't until you wire up a switch and light do you actually demonstrate that you actually are an electrician.
I don't really care what others label me. I don't seek the approval of man.
I never sought to teach anyone. I was asked a question, and I answered it. If y'all want to squabble over semantics, go ahead, I'm not interested.

If there's any particular judgment you'd like to lay against me, please find the Bible scripture that backs that judgment by all means let me know.

I don't really care what others label me. I don't seek the approval of man.
I never sought to teach anyone. I was asked a question, and I answered it. If y'all want to squabble over semantics, go ahead, I'm not interested.

If there's any particular judgment you'd like to lay against me, please find the Bible scripture that backs that judgment by all means let me know.
?????? I didn't lay any judgement against you.

?????? I didn't lay any judgement against you.
Ok. My apologies. I guess you were using the term "you" in a general sense. I guess I'm just use to being attacked. LOL!
In that case, yes, I absolutely agree with you - Faith has to be demonstrated both in word and in deed.

I made clarifications, not additions.
you did not clarify anything you added "faith alone"
Although authentic faith does not remain alone (barren of works - James 2:14-24) we are still saved by grace through faith and not by works.
faith is faith... there is no mention of authentic faith in the scripture... It is just faith... Faith with works and faith without works which is ineffective.
(Ephesians 2:8,9) We have access by faith into grace
So faith is not alone
(Romans 5:1-2) and not by works
Show me how you got through Christ without works.
and God imputes righteousness apart from works.
That "works" is referring to the law
(Romans 4:5-6) An empty profession of faith/dead faith that remains alone (barren of works) is ineffective. (James 2:14)
You are shooting yourself in the foot. You just said that faith that remains alone is ineffective. But you teach faith alone.
No it doesn't. Faith that trusts in Christ alone for salvation is not ineffective.
Stand by what you teach. You said "faith alone" So did you mean Faith alone that trusts in Christ alone for salvation is not ineffective? You just posted that faith alone is ineffective.
(Ephesians 2:5-10) Faith without works is dead does not mean that faith is dead UNTIL it produces works and then it becomes a living faith,
It means faith without works is ineffective...therefore it cannot produce anything
which would be like saying that a tree is dead UNTIL it produces fruit and then it becomes a living tree. Cart before the horse.
But I never said faith is dead UNTIL it produces works and then it becomes a living faith. I said faith without works is dead. I repeated what James said.
Something that is dead cannot produce anything.
Yep, James said faith without works is dead. Therefore your faith that is alone cannot produce anything.
James is simply saying faith that is not accompanied by evidential works demonstrates that it's dead.
So in other words, faith alone is dead.
If someone merely says-claims (key word) they have faith, yet lack resulting evidential works, then they demonstrate that they have an empty profession of faith/dead faith and not authentic faith. (James 2:14) Simple!
That would be faith alone...
Show me which one of these passages of scripture say belief/faith "plus something else." (John 1:12; 3:15,16,18,36; 6:40,47; 11:25,26; Acts 10:43; 13:39; 16:31; 26:18; Romans 1:16; 3:24-28; 4:5; 10:4; 1 Corinthians 1:21; Galatians 2:16; Ephesians 2:8; Philippians 3:9; 2 Timothy 3:15; 1 John 5:13 etc..).
If you cannot see it yourself do you think I can see it for you. You just summed it up perfectly...If someone merely says-claims (key word) they have faith(alone), yet lack resulting evidential works,then they demonstrate that they have an empty profession of faith/dead faith and not authentic faith. (James 2:14) Simple!
It's faith (rightly understood) IN CHRIST ALONE that brings salvation (Romans 4:5-6; Ephesians 2:8,9) and works follow as the fruit, by product and demonstrative evidence of authentic faith in Christ, yet works are not the basis or means by which we obtain salvation.
What is it with you and this talk about alone ...Jesus said he is not alone.
Man is saved through faith and not by works (Ephesians 2:8,9; Titus 3:5; 2 Timothy 1:9); yet genuine faith is substantiated, evidenced by works (James 2:14-24).
Are you saying that man is saved by faith alone? You just demonstrated that faith alone is ineffective.
Christ saves us through faith based on the merits of His finished work of redemption "alone" and not based on the merits of our works. (Romans 3:24-28) It is through faith "in Christ alone" (and not based on the merits of our works) that we are justified on account of Christ (Romans 3:24; 5:1; 5:9); yet the faith that justifies does not remain alone (unfruitful, barren) if it is genuine (James 2:14-24). *Perfect Harmony*
Jesus is never alone sir...
John 8:29
And he that sent me is with me: the Father hath not left me alone; for I do always those things that please him.
John 16:32
Behold, the hour cometh, yea, is now come, that ye shall be scattered, every man to his own, and shall leave me alone: and yet I am not alone, because the Father is with me.

Back