WoF and the Gates of Hell

Yodas_Prodigy

Matthew 16:18
King James Version
18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

What are the gates of hell?

That's a good question. I think the Gates of Hell could better be called the Gates of Hades. Which could mean that the Gates of Hades somehow is related to death. So, I am thinking that this means that Death cannot stop the Church.

Also gates are where elders and authorities sit in authority over a city. Perhaps Satan's authorities can't prevail against those who dwell in the city of God, believers.

That's a good question. I think the Gates of Hell could better be called the Gates of Hades. Which could mean that the Gates of Hades somehow is related to death. So, I am thinking that this means that Death cannot stop the Church.
In Revelation Death rides a horse. Hades follows behind. They are different.

Also gates are where elders and authorities sit in authority over a city. Perhaps Satan's authorities can't prevail against those who dwell in the city of God, believers.
Never saw city leadrs sitting at the gates. They usually in the center of the city safe and tucked away.

Never saw city leadrs sitting at the gates. They usually in the center of the city safe and tucked away.
“Her husband is well-known in the city gate when he sits with the elders of the land.” (Proverbs 31:23, NET)

Well now you have.

In Revelation Death rides a horse. Hades follows behind. They are different.
Revelation 1:18

New International Version
18 I am the Living One; I was dead, and now look, I am alive for ever and ever! And I hold the keys of death and Hades

Death and Hades are related…​

It also shows the sovereignty of Christ over death, being defeated by Christ Himself through His death and resurrection. Forever being the King and Priest of of this universe and the spiritual realms.

Revelation 1:18

New International Version​

18 I am the Living One; I was dead, and now look, I am alive for ever and ever! And I hold the keys of death and Hades​

Death and Hades are related…​

But not the same dude. You swapped em like they were one & the same.

“Her husband is well-known in the city gate when he sits with the elders of the land.” (Proverbs 31:23, NET)

Well now you have.
You said,
"Also gates are where elders and authorities sit in authority over a city."

The thing you quoted from provebs is referring to city business. Elders of the city would meet in rooms near the gates to do city business. Like judging cases for legal stuff. Not the ruling of the city. So you refering to Christ as King? a King would not be near these gates.

You said,

The thing you quoted from provebs is referring to city business. Elders of the city would meet in rooms near the gates to do city business. Like judging cases for legal stuff. Not the ruling of the city. So you refering to Christ as King? a King would not be near these gates.
tyfyt

You said,

How the gates of the city were used by elders and authorities.

Hope this helps your ignorance. ?

Not only did the elders and authorities sit in the gates... it was commanded by YHWH. A cities gates represented its authority, just as the gates of hell represent its authority which will NOT prevail against Christ's people.

Judges and officers shalt thou make thee in all thy gates, which the LORD thy God giveth thee, throughout thy tribes: and they shall judge the people with just judgment.” (Deuteronomy 16:18, KJV)

Last edited:
Matthew 16:18
King James Version
18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.
In the eighties I was sitting in one of the most brilliantly alive churches I've ever experienced, where we ran for the front seats in every service, because no one wanted to miss what happened next. The pastor was preaching on this verse, and I suddenly heard from within, "Gates don't move." I fell out of my seat laughing. The thought changed me completely.

For some reason and since I started reading the Bible, I had envisioned a church under attack, and satan's flying attack gates coming at her, but not prevailing. When I heard gates don't move, I knew...the church has to take it to the gates and take them down.

What do gates do, you asked? In times of peace, this whole thread has interesting responses. But gates don't "prevail" in times of peace. They stand opened.

Gates have two purposes: to keep enemies out and to keep captives in. The church destroys the gates of hell and sets captives free. Whom the son sets free is truly free...as free as they once were truly captive.

WoF perspective.

How the gates of the city were used by elders and authorities.

Hope this helps your ignorance. ?
This article is fairly accurate. There's a difference btween gates and 'in the gates', as the article points out. So, to your first post here, are you claiming that the gates of hell are an inner court between the first and second defense walls? That is what you defind here.
I have no ignorance on this subject. This shows your stupidity and desire to jump to conclusion. I look at your message history and see that this one is the only one you write in. Nobody here to argue. And it seems when they do you dismiss them. Waht a god.

Back