Question about forum interaction

Introduction
Earlier today I was reading through Titus 3, and I came across the following passage.

10 As for a person who stirs up division, after warning him once and then twice, have nothing more to do with him,
11 knowing that such a person is warped and sinful; he is self-condemned. (Titus 3:10-11 ESV)
10 αἱρετικὸν ἄνθρωπον μετὰ μίαν καὶ δευτέραν νουθεσίαν παραιτοῦ,
11 εἰδὼς ὅτι ἐξέστραπται ὁ τοιοῦτος καὶ ἁμαρτάνει ὢν αὐτοκατάκριτος. (Titus 3:10-11 BGT)

My question comes from my very limited forum interaction, and my question comes from the passage quoted above.

Is my forum interaction, with certain posters, biblically warranted?

Personal Forum Interaction
Usually, I tend to give the most divisive 2-3 postings, and sometimes I'll give a poster upwards of up to 7-10 back and forth exchanges. At the end of that time period, if the poster has only dug himself/herself further into a grave with fallacy after fallacy, I usually call it quits. I'll conclude the discussion with a recap of the various fallacies present over the last several posts along with the poster's willingness to persist (often in matters of sin) in the fallacies in spite of their repeated refutation. However, I usually allow more discussion on a different thread with that person following the same pattern.

A Beginning look at verse 10
Unfortunately, my pattern (stated in the above paragraph) is being called into question by the scripture quoted above. A few points need to be observed from the passage.
-"a person who stirs up division" The prior verse (v9) points out a more Jewish aspect of division over the law, genealogies, etc. However, the prior verse (v9) speaks toward certain topics. It is topically focused. In contrast, verse 10 is specifically focused upon "a person." His admonishment concerns a person who stirs up division. Most obviously, this person would be the kind to raise the topics just mentioned (v9), and the person would not just raise them but also persist in them. The main descriptor of the person is that he is divisive. BDAG gives the following definition of the first word (in Greek) αἱρετικὸν "pert. to causing divisions, factions, division-making".

Verse 10 Structure
A pertinent detail of the passage is its structure in Greek. It begins with two words, then a prepositional phrase, then the verb.

Front and center (in Greek word order) is the divisive person. "As for a person who stirs up division"
Then the warnings to the person are stated in the prepositional phrase. "after warning him once and then twice"
The final word of the verse is the imperative/command. "have nothing more to do with him"

Verse 11
The verse opens with a participle, oida. Then appears a hoti clause. The content of the knowledge is made clear. Such a person is perverted/warped/twisted and sins, being self-condemned.

A reader of the passage can note the movement of the passage: unprofitable, foolish, worthless topics (v9), what to do with a divisive person (v10), the immoral character of the divisive person (v11).

Critical Application Questions
While the passage itself is fairly specific as to the topics of this divisive person (note v9), are there other biblical criteria that could also be applied to divisiveness? For example, is a person who lies about others, and persists in spite of warnings, a divisive person? Is a slanderer, who persists in spite of warnings, a divisive person? I've listed what I think are the two most common sins in this forum.

Please note that this is largely looking at the passage and asking application questions. I have not pointed out any poster in particular, and I have not pointed fingers at certain theological persuasions. The forums, and the topics therein, are the occasion to bring out the depravity in each of us. Note also, I have no problem with posters who disagree with me, and who are willing to be corrected, for we all are in need at times to receive reprimand. Iron does sharpen iron. Those who have a repentant, teachable spirit are not in the cross-hairs of the "divisive person" scope. My focus is more upon the person who is a habitual, unrepentant liar (straw man after straw man), and my focus is more upon the one who slanders others and even God himself by making false accusations.

For myself, this passage is calling into question (if is allowed that the divisive person is broader than the topics of verse 9) my willingness to engage divisive people over the span of many postings. If it is true that this is applicable to this forum, then I have been overly kind and patient, for I have gone over the 1-2 warnings stipulated in the passage.

These are my thoughts and musings with the passage. I hope and pray that they provoke good discussion and consideration.
I think that Romans 16:17 is also highly relevant.

Rom. 16:17 (KJV) Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them.

We have individual, not only corporate, responsibility to obey the word of God.

I was thinking about the very Scripture that His clay quoted, on another forum, without having seen this thread. I realised that I'd been disobeying God, by omitting to obey this command, so I separated from the heretics (I believe that it refers to divisive false teachers (edit: those who create factions, e.g. Provisionism), rather than divisive people in general). Then I came back here and saw this thread... What a confirmation!
This is encouraging to read. You have expressed what my hope is for everyone here, that we would follow God's word in our lives the best we can, and if my typing can somehow be helpful to others, then praise the Lord for using this messenger.

We have individual, not only corporate, responsibility to obey the word of God.

I was thinking about the very Scripture that His clay quoted, on another forum, without having seen this thread. I realised that I'd been disobeying God, by omitting to obey this command, so I separated from the heretics (I believe that it refers to divisive false teachers (edit: those who create factions, e.g. Provisionism), rather than divisive people in general). Then I came back here and saw this thread... What a confirmation!
Actually provisionism is sound biblical truth

I think that Romans 16:17 is also highly relevant.

Rom. 16:17 (KJV) Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them.
They were not being taught Calvinism and the early church (pre augustine) was not Calvinistic

nope

400 years of Christian history had passed before Augustines innovation

he had learned from the gnostics and the manicheans

Red herring.
I started five threads proving all five points of TULIP from the BIBLE.
And I didn't quote "Augustine" even once.

@fltom like the unbelieving Jews, Leighton and other anti-Calvinist haters (and the hate sites you visit to scour for dirt) have poisoned your mind against the truth that many brothers are teaching here. Same tactic of Acts 14:2. All of it is from a sinister source which hates the truth.

@fltom like the unbelieving Jews, Leighton and other anti-Calvinist haters (and the hate sites you visit to scour for dirt) have poisoned your mind against the truth that many brothers are teaching here. Same tactic of Acts 14:2. All of it is from a sinister source which hates the truth.
discord and dissension ^^^^

that is all he does

He does not address ops he attacks people then imagines it is others sowing discord
Nature is as nature does . True to self , humanism, fatalism , narcissism, discordism, dissensionism, name the ism , the schism .

Last edited:
Introduction
Earlier today I was reading through Titus 3, and I came across the following passage.

10 As for a person who stirs up division, after warning him once and then twice, have nothing more to do with him,
11 knowing that such a person is warped and sinful; he is self-condemned. (Titus 3:10-11 ESV)
10 αἱρετικὸν ἄνθρωπον μετὰ μίαν καὶ δευτέραν νουθεσίαν παραιτοῦ,
11 εἰδὼς ὅτι ἐξέστραπται ὁ τοιοῦτος καὶ ἁμαρτάνει ὢν αὐτοκατάκριτος. (Titus 3:10-11 BGT)

My question comes from my very limited forum interaction, and my question comes from the passage quoted above.

Is my forum interaction, with certain posters, biblically warranted?

Personal Forum Interaction
Usually, I tend to give the most divisive 2-3 postings, and sometimes I'll give a poster upwards of up to 7-10 back and forth exchanges. At the end of that time period, if the poster has only dug himself/herself further into a grave with fallacy after fallacy, I usually call it quits. I'll conclude the discussion with a recap of the various fallacies present over the last several posts along with the poster's willingness to persist (often in matters of sin) in the fallacies in spite of their repeated refutation. However, I usually allow more discussion on a different thread with that person following the same pattern.

A Beginning look at verse 10
Unfortunately, my pattern (stated in the above paragraph) is being called into question by the scripture quoted above. A few points need to be observed from the passage.
-"a person who stirs up division" The prior verse (v9) points out a more Jewish aspect of division over the law, genealogies, etc. However, the prior verse (v9) speaks toward certain topics. It is topically focused. In contrast, verse 10 is specifically focused upon "a person." His admonishment concerns a person who stirs up division. Most obviously, this person would be the kind to raise the topics just mentioned (v9), and the person would not just raise them but also persist in them. The main descriptor of the person is that he is divisive. BDAG gives the following definition of the first word (in Greek) αἱρετικὸν "pert. to causing divisions, factions, division-making".

Verse 10 Structure
A pertinent detail of the passage is its structure in Greek. It begins with two words, then a prepositional phrase, then the verb.

Front and center (in Greek word order) is the divisive person. "As for a person who stirs up division"
Then the warnings to the person are stated in the prepositional phrase. "after warning him once and then twice"
The final word of the verse is the imperative/command. "have nothing more to do with him"

Verse 11
The verse opens with a participle, oida. Then appears a hoti clause. The content of the knowledge is made clear. Such a person is perverted/warped/twisted and sins, being self-condemned.

A reader of the passage can note the movement of the passage: unprofitable, foolish, worthless topics (v9), what to do with a divisive person (v10), the immoral character of the divisive person (v11).

Critical Application Questions
While the passage itself is fairly specific as to the topics of this divisive person (note v9), are there other biblical criteria that could also be applied to divisiveness? For example, is a person who lies about others, and persists in spite of warnings, a divisive person? Is a slanderer, who persists in spite of warnings, a divisive person? I've listed what I think are the two most common sins in this forum.

Please note that this is largely looking at the passage and asking application questions. I have not pointed out any poster in particular, and I have not pointed fingers at certain theological persuasions. The forums, and the topics therein, are the occasion to bring out the depravity in each of us. Note also, I have no problem with posters who disagree with me, and who are willing to be corrected, for we all are in need at times to receive reprimand. Iron does sharpen iron. Those who have a repentant, teachable spirit are not in the cross-hairs of the "divisive person" scope. My focus is more upon the person who is a habitual, unrepentant liar (straw man after straw man), and my focus is more upon the one who slanders others and even God himself by making false accusations.

For myself, this passage is calling into question (if is allowed that the divisive person is broader than the topics of verse 9) my willingness to engage divisive people over the span of many postings. If it is true that this is applicable to this forum, then I have been overly kind and patient, for I have gone over the 1-2 warnings stipulated in the passage.

These are my thoughts and musings with the passage. I hope and pray that they provoke good discussion and consideration.
I'm all for people having a difference of opinion. But if somebody's just there to bicker and not to listen or to learn, then I invoke Proverbs 26:4 pretty quickly.

Back