Is the Spirit owned by all three members of the Trinity?

Jesus' Spirit was not replaced. He was given life by the Holy Spirit so His life force is God's Spirit. The soul and the Spirit are unified. No one can die without the spirit and the soul leaving the body at the same time.
As you recognized, Jesus had a body soul and spirit. His Spirit is "the life in Himself" John 5:26. His soul is His person and His body came by Mary. Jesus can only be those three things. His Spirit unified with His soul makes Him fully God, His soul unified with His body makes Him fully human. Jesus' divinity is His Spirit which is the Holy Spirit which is also God's Spirit Matthew 10:20. Jesus and the Father are one because they are the same Spirit.
Jesus' Spirit is the Holy Spirit He was born with. But He is identifying with man, so He received the Holy Spirit as a man would at His baptism. Remember God's Spirit is omnipresent and can be in more than one place at a time. So while Jesus' Spirit is God's Spirit, He operated as a Spirit-filled man would being led by the Spirit and resisting temptation like any man fully submitted to God.

A genuine human is body, soul, spirit. I believe scripture is clear that soul and spirit are not the same things and the human spirit is real. For the man Jesus to not have a human spirit is problematic in so much as it is vital to teach that Jesus was an authentic human like we are in every way other than he had no sin.

God the Father is Spirit (John 4:24) and since Jesus is this one true God manifested in the flesh then it follows that Jesus is the Holy Spirit as to his deity. The question then is, could the man Jesus, have a real human body, soul, and spirit, and still be God manifested in the flesh? Is His Holy Spirit having been inseparably fused with his human spirit at the incarnation (Luke 1:35) the answer as to why we say that Jesus is both God or man? In this way we preserve a strong foundational understanding and teaching as to his deity and genuine humanity.

Jesus did say, "Father into thy hands I commend my spirit". This is a statement that a genuine human would make who had a human spirit to commend to God.

NO God The Word in Psalm 33:6.

Johnny, I would be interested in view of the Spirit of God as it relates to the topic of this thread. Could it be that this reveals that you have made too much of the distinctions of Father, Son, and Holy Spirit and mischaracterized the entire concept of who the Spirit of God is? Is the Spirit of God the same as the Holy Spirit?

Johnny, I would be interested in view of the Spirit of God as it relates to the topic of this thread. Could it be that this reveals that you have made too much of the distinctions of Father, Son, and Holy Spirit and mischaracterized the entire concept of who the Spirit of God is? Is the Spirit of God the same as the Holy Spirit?
YEP!
Next question............................

The doctrine of the Trinity fails remarkably in regards to the theology of the Spirit of God. It is the elephant in the room that Trinitarians refuse to acknowledge as a problem. That their theory breaks down as an explanatory model here, is a huge red flag that there are fatal problems with the triune persons concept.

In a recent post https://forums.carm.org/threads/why-im-not-a-trinitarian.13037/page-5#post-1043412 a Trinitarian stated that "this Spirit is owned by all three members of the Trinity."

Other than proof positive of a flailing explanation, it brings in non-biblical concepts and implies that the Spirit of God is an abstract, impersonal substance in which multiple members "own" or dwell or in which multiple personalities participate.

The crux of the problem is that scripturally Christ abides in the believer and the scripture speaks of the "Father in you all", and the coming of the infilling of the Holy Spirit, the Trinitarians can't explain how all three persons of the Trinity abide in the believer. They obviously can't say the believer has three Spirits in them. Nor can they say that only the Holy Spirit abides in them, they are left with non-sensical explanations like "this Spirit is owned by all three members of the Trinity".

Biblically speaking the Spirit of God is the presence of God (Psalm 139), and according to Jesus the essence of God is Spirit (John 4:24). This is ABCs of theology.
Word games - just more ignorant theological foolishness. The Holy Spirit IS one of the "persons" of the "Trinity" so how could HE be "Owned by the other three"???

Word games - just more ignorant theological foolishness. The Holy Spirit IS one of the "persons" of the "Trinity" so how could HE be "Owned by the other three"???

Who is The Lord who is The Spirit in 2 Cor 3:17?

Lemme guess.. ignored

Good question that's what your fellow Trinitarian here DoctrinesofGraceBapt stated and I quoted.

You are perpetually stuck in repeating Trinitarian talking points, at least DoctrinesofGraceBapt was attempting to go in depth with a Trinitarian answer. Would you like to try? Or, go rope-a-dope? An important question that should be pretty basic to you asks is the Spirit of God another name for the Holy Spirit or something else? A follow up would be, since Christ said he would abide in the believer, how does he abide? As his own Spirit other than the Holy Spirit?

A genuine human is body, soul, spirit. I believe scripture is clear that soul and spirit are not the same things and the human spirit is real. For the man Jesus to not have a human spirit is problematic in so much as it is vital to teach that Jesus was an authentic human like we are in every way other than he had no sin.

God the Father is Spirit (John 4:24) and since Jesus is this one true God manifested in the flesh then it follows that Jesus is the Holy Spirit as to his deity. The question then is, could the man Jesus, have a real human body, soul, and spirit, and still be God manifested in the flesh? Is His Holy Spirit having been inseparably fused with his human spirit at the incarnation (Luke 1:35) the answer as to why we say that Jesus is both God or man? In this way we preserve a strong foundational understanding and teaching as to his deity and genuine humanity.

Jesus did say, "Father into thy hands I commend my spirit". This is a statement that a genuine human would make who had a human spirit to commend to God.
I don't see any precedent for Jesus to have two spirits. The apostle Paul recognized the distinction between Adam and Jesus when he said that Adam was made a living soul, Jesus was made a life giving Spirit. I Cor. 15:35. What makes Jesus "God" is the fact that His Spirit is God's Holy Spirit. He didn't need to have a human Spirit, the" breath" to give Him life. His humanity is in His soul, His person, that had to be a distinct begotten entity from the Father in order to take on our sins. The fact that Jesus' Spirit is God's S[pirit does not affect His humanity. He always operated as a man who was being led by the Holy Spirit.

I don't see any precedent for Jesus to have two spirits. The apostle Paul recognized the distinction between Adam and Jesus when he said that Adam was made a living soul, Jesus was made a life giving Spirit. I Cor. 15:35. What makes Jesus "God" is the fact that His Spirit is God's Holy Spirit. He didn't need to have a human Spirit, the" breath" to give Him life. His humanity is in His soul, His person, that had to be a distinct begotten entity from the Father in order to take on our sins. The fact that Jesus' Spirit is God's S[pirit does not affect His humanity. He always operated as a man who was being led by the Holy Spirit.

But what was Jesus commending to God when he said, "Father into thy hands I commend my spirit"?

You said, "The fact that Jesus' Spirit is God's Spirit does not affect His humanity"

That is a huge assumption for which one would need a great deal of evidence to support since you've removed 1/3 of what human means.

Jesus is unique because he is both God and man, so it doesn't seem hard to accept that he is both a human spirit and the Holy Spirit. Keep in mind that his human spirit and the Holy Spirit are inseparable, so from our standpoint there really isn't a practical distinction.

That the man Jesus operated as a man with a human mind doesn't negate the fact that God continued to also operate with omniscience beyond his human mind. He is the High Priest and the Lamb of God, so what would be impossible for us was uniquely Jesus.

Back