What its like being LDS, inside.

Ultimately, it's those I don't see on these boards, those "folks and guests" Richard has appealed to, who I am speaking of.
I guess I missed this one. I'm not sure how you can be speaking of anyone, since, from what I can tell, you haven't offered one word of whatever you think the "true Gospel" is. All you've done so far is offer your opinion. You can start explaining what you think the true gospel is at any time. I'm sure we're all just dying to hear what it is. Please let us know when you start.
I know, as the verses I have quoted from the Bible, and the arguments I have made against Mormonism through these, God will use these as He has told us in Isaiah:
I will admit that those who already agree with you will have a big party over your sound indoctrination, not that you'd ever give a thought to what you've offered and how it doesn't fit the Biblical narrative.

Here's one for you. Was Jesus lying to the young ruler when he said, "if you would have life, keep the commandments"? Simple question. Please expound on the scripture and tell us how that wasn't what he meant.

Eternal life is never earned by anything we do
That's your claim, but how does it comport to the scripture offered?
"if you would have life, keep the commandments"
This, from the Bible, does not comport with that. Clearly, Jesus said, you have to do something, and he was specific about what you need to do, to have life. So, I'll ask you the same question, was Jesus lying to the young ruler? Please explain.
keeping commandments, making sacrifices, tithing. attending church services, etc.
That first item there directly contradicts Jesus' answer to the young ruler, so he was lying? Either that or he was toying wiht him, trying to browbeat him, I guess.
Eternal life comes via John 3:16
In clear contradiction to Matt 19, got it. I now wonder who Jesus isn't toying with.
Christians make no distinction between salvation and eternal life as do Mormons.
No. You wouldn't. Salvation for you guys is an endless life picking fruit in a garden - completely celibate and unable to think fo yourselves.
When one is saved the sanctification process begins. A person begins to walk in that newness of life since they have become a new creation. God gives us his instructions (Bible-- Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth).
LOL. Bloviate some more. Are you trying to explain away the contradiction here? This is totally irrelevant. I agree, with all of that, but it's not relevant.
Regarding Matthew 19, the young ruler kept-- or said he kept a number of the commandments regarding how to treat others.
Yes, that's true, that's what the young ruler said, but what about what Jesus said?
It was legalism and he checked the boxes.
It doesn't matter if it's legalism or not. What did Jesus say? The Bible repeats this theme over and over and over. Good works save and bring the spirit. Evil works damn us separating us from God. For some reason, probably because people like it and it attracts more donators like flies to honey, you all ignore it and pretend that works don't matter.
We know when Jesus taught about murder he equated it with unrighteous anger and adultery was equated with looking at a woman with lust. Physical act wasn't required. The young ruler missed the deeper aspects of "keeping the commandments".
Jesus didn't offer any "deeper aspects". There was nothing to miss. What you're doing is DISmissing the obvious teachings of both the Savior and the gospel teachers in the Bible. Rather than address the words Jesus actually told the young ruler, you do exactly what the young ruler did. Always looking beyond the mark. It can't be that simple, what lack I yet? And, like the young ruler, you get what the young ruler got, a convoluted impossibility just as you offered. don't get angry, don't be attracted to the opposite sex. Who is able to do either of those things?

I have news for you, it is that simple. It is not hard NOT to do things. Really, think about it. Don't do this and don't do that... just don't do those things, how hard can that be? The commandments are the center line. One could say it's the fence between good and evil. It's not hard to do better than just not doing bad things. It's also not hard to start thinking about evil things we could do and the rich rewards we might acquire by indulging in them. Either of those things moves us either closer to God or farther away from Him. Where you spend your time mentally usually defines your character and such individuals will continue to test their limits until they are ensnared by their desires and capitulate to sin.

There are no deeper aspects of keeping the commandments. We actually have to keep them. If we put our minds to work on good things, then we will do good things. There is an inverse of being angry or thinking lustful thoughts. Spend time there and you won't have a problem keeping the commandments which are easy to keep. So easy, in fact, that the young ruler was keeping them. Just imagine if he had thanked the Lord and walked away how happy he could have been. But not, instead, he had to do what you guys are doing and beg for more things that he could do. So, Jesus gave him what he asked for. In essence, do what I'm doing and you will be sure of your place in the kingdom of God.

But we can't do that, can we?
These scriptures should help
They don't.
So what do we learn?
That you are misapplying the scriptures?
There was a ritual law and a "law" that God placed in the heart of people. Adam had it. Abraham had it. Noah had it. we see evidence of the 10 commandments in their lives (moral law) throughout their stories in the Old Testament. Those weren't etched in stone until Moses.
More useless bloviation. Don't get me wrong, this is all true, but irrelevant. All of those good ole boys had to keep the commandments to be saved just like we do.
So how did they live and do what God said? The following scripture tells us:

Hab 2:4
"Behold the proud, His soul is not upright in him; But the just shall live by his faith.
NKJV
Doh! Are you suggesting that if they had faith they didn't NEED to keep the commandments in order to be saved? Again, was Jesus lying? Well, one thing is for sure, those guys don't have to worry because they were keeping the commandments, even Abraham with his extra wife.

You guys really don't know what's going on. I'll bet you'll use Abraham's extra wife, obvious adultery - how wrong polygamy is, even though the scriptures testify that he kept God's commandments and that his faith saved him and not keeping the commandments, bring that forward to today, and adultery is okay as long as we have faith, right? I digress. I couldn't resist.

Their faith was demonstrated by keeping the commandments. They believed in the promises just like we do and they act according to their beliefs. Again, remember, the 10 commandments are the centerline (actually the baseline - going to the left of the baseline is almost unrecoverable). All of those guys had more than the commandments. Scholars have found that most of the wells dug in the land that was promised to Abraham were dug by Abraham on land that wasn't his. He did that so others, the sojourner, the lost, could find water and live. He didn't do it for wealth or recognition. He did it because he saw a need and he had the capacity and resources to dig them. He probably also benefited, undoubtedly, by watering his cattle there, but he did not claim them as his own. He didn't fence them off or prevent, in any way, others from using them. He made them but did not consider them his. They belonged to everyone.

One historian described the day the lord came to visit him, he had just returned from traveling out in the wilderness, actively looking for anyone who needed help, who might be lost or in need of nourishment. Having returned to his home, he sat under a tree to rest from a long, hot and lonely trek to be greeted by the lord. Abraham went beyond the commandments, far to the right of them and some might think, needlessly so. But we have to ask, where did Abraham learn to do those things, to lift the hands that hang down, to seek out the fatherless and the widow and to sue for their welfare? Who taught him that that was the way?

Do we have to live that way? Are we willing to invest where there is no return simply for the benefit of others? Is that necessary for salvation? No. Not according to Jesus, it's not. The centerline/baseline is, but the sons of God don't walk the baseline. They walk in the newness of life. They don't need a set of rules. They lift others. They practice true religion. Everyone they meet they try to bring along but at their own pace, line upon line. I think the world would be a better place for it. That's the religion we try to practice in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Jesus summed up the law and the prophets in two commandments-- love the Lord your God with all your heart soul and mind and your neighbor as yourself.
And that's clearly on the right of the baseline, but the baseline is still there. What does it mean to love one's neighbor as themselves? Does it mean to mock their beliefs and condemn them, make fun of their leaders and denigrate their practices? Would you like that if we did it to you?

Our critics justify a lot of evil and call it good in the name of their religion. Those two commandments are very open to interpretation, but those aren't the commandments that Jesus told the young ruler would give him life. Those commandments are easy, they are, for the most part, a list of things not to do. Sure, love our neighbor, but don't break the baseline while doing it.
When we walk that love out in faith, we keep those commandments.
That's obviously not true. Let me put it another way, when you keep those commandments, then you're walking that love out of faith, not the other way around. That's just you all trying to convince yourselves that the animus you all hoist on others is being done out of love. But make no mistake, it is still animus.
It shows we have evidence of our faith.
Keeping the commandments is evidence of faith, that is true. Breaking them is evidence, not only of the absence of faith but also of plain disbelief.
Eternal life in not "earned" or "inherited" by doing the stuff on our own.
It sure is. No one else can do it for us. We have to do them on our own. They don't happen by themselves either.
we receive eternal life even when we egregiously mess up (sin), only if we Confession and repentance and then continuing to get back up and walk it out
I only have few words that would make this statement clearer and more agreeable to the truth. "only if we: confess and repent. Then we will have eternal life.

So, you're pretty close to our doctrine. Clearly, we have to do something. One, we have to keep the commandments. That's cut and dried. it's a plain fact. If we don't keep the commandments, we will have eternal life only if we repent. Once having done that, then we can have eternal life. Either way, we have to do something, so eternal life is clearly "earned". Saying that it's not is simply denying what you just said. Our critics tend to do that a lot.
That is what working OUT your own salvation means. Not working FOR (earning).
if that is what working out our own salvation is, then we're clearly earing our salvation.

So no... I don't believe that keeping the commandments in your construct is connected with eternal life.
Jesus Christ believes it. You know how I know that? Because he said so. It's not hard to mistake the meaning of, "if you would have life, keep the commandments". One wonders how you could have missed it.
Yours appears to be about checking the boxes
Actually, it's about leaving those boxes unchecked. LOL
else you wouldn't have worded your question with the Matthew 19 verses as such.
The wording is Jesus', not ours.
Christians believe it is about walking in faith
No kidding, really? That's funny, so do we?
where a Christian will want to keep those commandments because of the love he or she has for Jesus
LOL. It doesn't really matter why you want to keep them. You might want to, but if you don't, you can't be saved. Period.
the salvation He alone has purchased. All our works are as filthy rags (menstrual rags in the picture). However, we are called to good works and obedience to God as a result of salvation in Jesus, not as a precursor or requirement to get salvation.
Bloviation in litany form. Our works may be filthy rages, but if we don't keep the commandments, there's no way we can be saved. Tell me I'm wrong.

Then it is not only my opinion
Right now, this very second, it's only your opinion that I'm talking about and just because you have it and others happen to agree with it, it still doesn't make it right. It's just your opinion and without some kind of substantiation, it's not worth much.

You have shot gunned many questions
I can't help but shotgun questions, I'm not talking to anyone but you.
along with comments meant to poison the well and attack my character, most questions purposefully misleading what I had stated.
Regardless of how you feel about the questions, they are still questions that you haven't addressed and seem unwilling to. Ok. So, I have to assume one of two options here. Either you're afraid to answer them or you just don't know. So, maybe you've already addressed this, If you're not going to answer them then we'll just move on, ARE you going to answer them. It's okay if you want to quit. I don't mind.
So, address the requests I made above, for you to provide those quotes and if so, I will address each one.
Quit crying about them. Either answer them or don't. I don't care if you don't want to answer them. It appears that ou don't, so, let me know.
Until then there is no cause to answer yours above until we clear up the misconceptions you have presented surrounding my position.
Ok. so you quit. Fine.

Like I have pointed our over and over, he's here to preach his version of the Gospel of Christ, not here to debate doctrine... chuckle.
He's not doing a very good job of preaching either. It looks more like he's running for cover, hiding behind pretended accusations about things that didn't happen.

You really don't get it. You don't understand the scriptures.
Perhaps you can explain why the scriptures don't mean what they say... oh wait, you did and failed.
You parrot the LDS party line. My post was quite clear. You simply won't or can't understand what is plainly evident by taking scripture as a whole and not individual verses that you think support for bad theology. It is really so simple that you work-based guys trip all over yourselves as did the Pharisees, Sadducees and Scribes
Oh yeah. That's a great rebuttal. You almost had me convinced.

Read the text in Revelation. What does it say? We know that there is salvation only in Jesus. He is the door, the Way, the Truth and The Life.

But you are preaching to the Choir--the LDS believe that, even to the point of naming the church--The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Acts 4:10-12---King James Version
10 Be it known unto you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom ye crucified, whom God raised from the dead, even by him doth this man stand here before you whole.
11 This is the stone which was set at nought of you builders, which is become the head of the corner.
12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

Are you willing to reveal to us what the name of your church is?

A follower of Jesus is a Christian.

So--could you explain to us how you collate that statement with your testimony one is saved--excluding all acts of obedience to Jesus Christ?

The question begs to be asked--does one become a Christian in being saved, excluding all acts of obedience--or after they follow Christ?

You really don't get it. You don't understand the scriptures. You parrot the LDS party line.

I'm glad you realize the testimony of Jesus Christ is the LDS "party line":

Matthew 19:16-19---King James Version
16 And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?
17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.
18 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,
19 Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

My post was quite clear. You simply won't or can't understand what is plainly evident by taking scripture as a whole and not individual verses that you think support for bad theology.

Why is the testimony of Jesus Christ--"bad theology"?

Just so the scriptures violate the theology preached here by the critics--is not proof it's "bad theology".

It is really so simple that you work-based guys trip all over yourselves as did the Pharisees, Sadducees and Scribes.

What is your evidence that Jesus was either a Pharisee or a Sadducee?

Matthew 7:19-21---King James Version
19 Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.
20 Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.
21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

Perhaps you can explain why the scriptures don't mean what they say... oh wait, you did and failed.

Oh yeah. That's a great rebuttal. You almost had me convinced.
You have done a lot of bloviating on my answer which I backed scripturally. You simply don't accept it. Your bottom line is we must keep the commandments. Jesus told us how and that the commandments were summed up in loving God and loving others. It is that simple. Jesus showed the commandments went far deeper than the teachers thought. That should tell you something.

Paul wrote neither he nor those before him could keep them. What was the solution?

Walking in the Spirit and you will not fulfil the lusts of the flesh (sin and breaking of commandments). The Holy Spirit shows you how to do that if you listen and then follow through. Paul did stuff he didn't want to do (sin) and didn't do things he wasn't supposed to do (sin). Yet he knew God's grace and mercy and it wasn't about keeping a chart and being self-righteous.

You, dberrie and Ralf simply don't get it. Salvation (exaltation in your construct) is never earned. It is by grace through faith and then walking in good works as a result of that free gift of salvation. Jesus alone make us worth by faith in what He did on that cross. Nothing...absolutely nothing you can do can be added to it. Paul writes in Romans about that very matter. It is either faith or work. They are different. Oil and water.

You berated Lastdaybeliever for not explaining the "true gospel" and that Lastdaybeliever could start anytime. as I recall I started a thread last year asking you LDS to expain the Gospel. Your didn't answer. Dberrie tripped all over himself before finally giving an inane answer that said "anything that leads to eternal life". Ralf... I don't recall if he said anything. Aaron was the only one who actually attempted a real answer.

So BOJ, what exactly is the "gospel"? I know what it is. Do you?

But you are preaching to the Choir--the LDS believe that, even to the point of naming the church--The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Acts 4:10-12---King James Version
10 Be it known unto you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom ye crucified, whom God raised from the dead, even by him doth this man stand here before you whole.
11 This is the stone which was set at nought of you builders, which is become the head of the corner.
12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

Are you willing to reveal to us what the name of your church is?

So--could you explain to us how you collate that statement with your testimony one is saved--excluding all acts of obedience to Jesus Christ?

The question begs to be asked--does one become a Christian in being saved, excluding all acts of obedience--or after they follow Christ?
Now you are diverting from what I wrote. Your are quite good at that. You failed once again to understand what I wrote. Go back and read it again carefully. Your questions regarding "collating" should be answered if you bother to think it through.

You have done a lot of bloviating on my answer which I backed scripturally. You simply don't accept it. Your bottom line is we must keep the commandments. Jesus told us how and that the commandments were summed up in loving God and loving others. It is that simple. Jesus showed the commandments went far deeper than the teachers thought. That should tell you something.

Paul wrote neither he nor those before him could keep them. What was the solution?

Walking in the Spirit and you will not fulfil the lusts of the flesh (sin and breaking of commandments). The Holy Spirit shows you how to do that if you listen and then follow through. Paul did stuff he didn't want to do (sin) and didn't do things he wasn't supposed to do (sin). Yet he knew God's grace and mercy and it wasn't about keeping a chart and being self-righteous.

You, dberrie and Ralf simply don't get it. Salvation (exaltation in your construct) is never earned. It is by grace through faith and then walking in good works as a result of that free gift of salvation. Jesus alone make us worth by faith in what He did on that cross. Nothing...absolutely nothing you can do can be added to it. Paul writes in Romans about that very matter. It is either faith or work. They are different. Oil and water.

You berated Lastdaybeliever for not explaining the "true gospel" and that Lastdaybeliever could start anytime. as I recall I started a thread last year asking you LDS to expain the Gospel. Your didn't answer. Dberrie tripped all over himself before finally giving an inane answer that said "anything that leads to eternal life". Ralf... I don't recall if he said anything. Aaron was the only one who actually attempted a real answer.

So BOJ, what exactly is the "gospel"? I know what it is. Do you?
The gospel is for all, period, not some person who reads into the Scriptures one has to be Chosen or be of the Elect. Does that sound like a more loving God, who consigns many to hell, after all organgrinder you only believe in a Heaven or Hell, your phony teachings do not agree with the Scriptures... so again, heaven and hell, one or the other and you're hoping your one of the Elect... good luck.

Read the text in Revelation. What does it say? We know that there is salvation only in Jesus. He is the door, the Way, the Truth and The Life. A follower of Jesus is a Christian. Now Jewish believers before Christ are also included provided they looked to the Rock of their salvation. Who was the Rock? It was Jesus. All the OT sacrifices and Feast Days spoke of the Messiah. God knows who did and who didn't.
You did not answer the question...." Non-Christians who appear before the Great White Throne at the end of Revelation will be judged out of the books... not the Book of Life." try again!

Being judged by works is strictly for rewards... not salvation... at least for the Christian. Non-Christians who appear before the Great White Throne at the end of Revelation will be judged out of the books... not the Book of Life. The books detail what they did. The bottom line will be that they either were unbelievers or tried to earn their way into heaven by good works and not by faith that is spoken of in Ephesians 2:8-10. Good works follow and are not a precursor to salvation -- exaltation to the Mormon since you guys believe everyone is save to one of three areas and possibly a fourth.

Your works are nothing more than menstrual rags, Ralf. Scripture says so. My post #442 covered it. It is by faith and faith alone. Works result FROM faith. One works OUT their salvation (sanctification) not FOR their salvation.
John 9:4

I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
John 10:37-38

If I do not the works of my Father, believe me not.
But if I do, though ye believe not me, believe the works: that ye may know, and believe, that the Father is in me, and I in him.
1 Corinthians 3:8

Now he that planteth and he that watereth are one: and every man shall receive his own reward according to his own labour.
Ecclesiastes 12:14

For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
James 2:24

Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only (emphasis added).
Titus 1:16

They profess that they know God; but in works they deny him, being abominable, and disobedient, and unto every good work reprobate (emphasis added).
James 2:14

What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him?
“One erroneous teaching of many Christian churches is: By faith alone we are saved. This false doctrine would relieve man from the responsibility of his acts other than to confess a belief in God, and would teach man that no matter how great the sin, a confession would bring him complete forgiveness and salvation. What the world needs is more preaching of the necessity of abstaining from sin and of living useful and righteous lives, and less preaching of forgiveness of sin. This would then be a different world. The truth is that men must repent of their sins and forsake them before they can expect forgiveness. Even when our sins are forgiven, God cannot reward us for the good we have not done.” (LeGrand Richards, A Marvelous Work and a Wonder, Ch.4, p.24, Deseret Book Company, Salt Lake City, Utah, 1976)

Being judged by works is strictly for rewards... not salvation... at least for the Christian. Non-Christians who appear before the Great White Throne at the end of Revelation will be judged out of the books... not the Book of Life. The books detail what they did. The bottom line will be that they either were unbelievers or tried to earn their way into heaven by good works and not by faith that is spoken of in Ephesians 2:8-10. Good works follow and are not a precursor to salvation -- exaltation to the Mormon since you guys believe everyone is save to one of three areas and possibly a fourth.

Your works are nothing more than menstrual rags, Ralf. Scripture says so. My post #442 covered it. It is by faith and faith alone. Works result FROM faith. One works OUT their salvation (sanctification) not FOR their salvation.
Can you name those rewards, isn't getting into heaven the only reward you're seeking... confused, please spell it out for me...

You did not answer the question...." Non-Christians who appear before the Great White Throne at the end of Revelation will be judged out of the books... not the Book of Life." try again!
You obviously didn't read Revelation 20. Does your church teach you will be judged at the Great White Throne?

John 9:4

John 10:37-38

1 Corinthians 3:8

Ecclesiastes 12:14

James 2:24

Titus 1:16

James 2:14

“One erroneous teaching of many Christian churches is: By faith alone we are saved. This false doctrine would relieve man from the responsibility of his acts other than to confess a belief in God, and would teach man that no matter how great the sin, a confession would bring him complete forgiveness and salvation. What the world needs is more preaching of the necessity of abstaining from sin and of living useful and righteous lives, and less preaching of forgiveness of sin. This would then be a different world. The truth is that men must repent of their sins and forsake them before they can expect forgiveness. Even when our sins are forgiven, God cannot reward us for the good we have not done.” (LeGrand Richards, A Marvelous Work and a Wonder, Ch.4, p.24, Deseret Book Company, Salt Lake City, Utah, 1976)
and once again, you don't understand the relationship between faith and works. works do not precede salvation (Eph. 2:8-10) but FOLLOW as a result of salvation. Your works as a believer will determine your reward, not your salvation (as a Christian understands it).

Back