What's your eternity going to be like?

SteveB

Hell is dark, 1 John 1:5, God is light.

There's only death in hell because God is life, John 1:4

There's only hatred in hell because 1 John 4:16 says God is love.

There's no mercy in hell because Psalm 36:5 says God's mercies are in the heavens

There's no strength in hell because Psalm 18:32 says God gives us strength.

There's no water in hell because Deuteronomy 11:11 says water is the rain of heaven.

There's no peace in hell because Isaiah 9:6 says God is the prince of peace.

There's no understanding, wisdom or knowledge in hell because God gives all three, Proverbs 2:6, Ecclesiastes 2:26, Daniel 2:21.

There's no joy in hell because God gives joy. Ecclesiastes 2:26, Galatians 5:22.

There is no satisfaction in hell because God gives all to enjoy, and be satisfied with. Joel 2:19, 26

There is no comfort in hell because God is comfort. 2 Corinthians 1:3-7.

There are none of the things that make life worthwhile, because God gives all, Acts 14:17.

There is no encouragement in hell because God is the God of encouragement, Romans 15:5

There is no hope in hell because God gives us hope through the scriptures. Romans 15:4.

So, if God removes himself from the situation, all the good goes with him.

You can't have the good without God.

You can't separate the two.

So, if you're the person who says- "I don't want anything to do with God,"

Fine.

There's a place prepared that has nothing to do with him.

It's known as hell and later, the lake of fire.

Neither God, nor we who follow Jesus want you to spend your eternity there. It's why Jesus came.

As it's written,

Joh 3:16-17 WEB 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only born Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish, but have eternal life. 17 For God didn’t send his Son into the world to judge the world, but that the world should be saved through him.

Please. Come follow Jesus.

Everything that pertains to life and godliness are with God.

It's described as paradise because in God, Everything that makes life worthwhile, enjoyable, satisfying, God is and gives.

Hell is dark, 1 John 1:5, God is light.

There's only death in hell because God is life, John 1:4

There's only hatred in hell because 1 John 4:16 says God is love.

There's no mercy in hell because Psalm 36:5 says God's mercies are in the heavens

There's no strength in hell because Psalm 18:32 says God gives us strength.

There's no water in hell because Deuteronomy 11:11 says water is the rain of heaven.

There's no peace in hell because Isaiah 9:6 says God is the prince of peace.

There's no understanding, wisdom or knowledge in hell because God gives all three, Proverbs 2:6, Ecclesiastes 2:26, Daniel 2:21.

There's no joy in hell because God gives joy. Ecclesiastes 2:26, Galatians 5:22.

There is no satisfaction in hell because God gives all to enjoy, and be satisfied with. Joel 2:19, 26

There is no comfort in hell because God is comfort. 2 Corinthians 1:3-7.

There are none of the things that make life worthwhile, because God gives all, Acts 14:17.

There is no encouragement in hell because God is the God of encouragement, Romans 15:5

There is no hope in hell because God gives us hope through the scriptures. Romans 15:4.

So, if God removes himself from the situation, all the good goes with him.

You can't have the good without God.

You can't separate the two.

So, if you're the person who says- "I don't want anything to do with God,"

Fine.

There's a place prepared that has nothing to do with him.

It's known as hell and later, the lake of fire.

Neither God, nor we who follow Jesus want you to spend your eternity there. It's why Jesus came.

As it's written,

Joh 3:16-17 WEB 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only born Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish, but have eternal life. 17 For God didn’t send his Son into the world to judge the world, but that the world should be saved through him.

Please. Come follow Jesus.

Everything that pertains to life and godliness are with God.

It's described as paradise because in God, Everything that makes life worthwhile, enjoyable, satisfying, God is and gives.

tl;dr version: All praise the all-loving, perfectly good God, otherwise he will torture you for eternity to punish you for rejecting him.

tl;dr version: All praise the all-loving, perfectly good God, otherwise he will torture you for eternity to punish you for rejecting him.
There's not one single instance in the biblical narrative that uses the word torture for what happens to people in hell.

You're more than welcome to present it.

I'm presently reading a book about hell.

There are many seriously wild ideas that people have put together about hell.

One theologian was using the word torture, but it's not stating anything about where he got it from.

So...

I have a novel idea for you.

Please provide the source: book, page, reference, etc.... that you get the torture idea from.

Torture? So your vicious opposition to Christianity is kind of like that of the dunce who opposes coffee because it stunts your growth, or who opposes swimming after eating because it causes stomach cramps, or who hates cats because they suck the breath out of babies, or who opposes shaving because it makes your hair grow back thicker, or who opposes cracking your knuckles because it causes arthritis.

Last edited:
So your vicious opposition to Christianity is kind of like that of the dunce who opposes coffee because it stunts your growth, or who opposes swimming after eating because it causes stomach cramps, or who hates cats because they suck the breath out of babies, or who opposes shaving because it makes your hair grow back thicker, or who opposes cracking your knuckles because it causes arthritis.
Or who opposes homosexual activity because it will cause one to go to an eternal flame-dungeon.

Yeah... dunce-y, innit?

Let's see.
In the book I'm reading, I just did a word search. Since I'm only in chapter 1, I'll focus on what I've seen so far.

Hobbs, in leviathan mentions torture.
Pg 335

Michael Wheeler,
Heaven, hell, and the Victorians, pg 187

Bingo.... I found the portion I read last night.

John Wenham is not an insignificant figure among evangelicals, but his influence on this issue was quickly eclipsed by John Stott, one of the most important evangelical leaders of the twentieth century, respected throughout the world. Stott’s reassessment of hell came in the context of his debate with David Edwards, a well-known figure among Anglican liberals. The debate was later published in book form and provides a fascinating view of Stott’s mind at work. In one of his exchanges with Stott, Edwards called the traditional evangelical view of hell a “Hades doctrine” presenting God as “the Eternal Torturer” and accused Stott of a certain vagueness on the question of everlasting torment.​

I've never heard of this guy before. Apparently he's British. So that's not surprising that I haven't heard of him.

I'm not Anglican, and never have been.
The churches I've associated with focus on what the bible describes. Not what other theological people think.

I know that I've posted this one verse before...

Heb 11:35 KJV Women received their dead raised to life again: and others were tortured, not accepting deliverance; that they might obtain a better resurrection:

It's not God who did the torturing. It's humans who didn't want people to believe in Jesus and God.

I did a word search of the entire Bible. That's the only use of the word torture.

Or who opposes homosexual activity because it will cause one to go to an eternal flame-dungeon.

Yeah... dunce-y, innit?
Actually, homosexual activities are the result of not wanting the knowledge of God, so he turns you over to a reprobate mind.

Rom 1:25-32 WEB 25 who exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever. Amen. 26 For this reason, God gave them up to vile passions. For their women changed the natural function into that which is against nature. 27 Likewise also the men, leaving the natural function of the woman, burned in their lust toward one another, men doing what is inappropriate with men, and receiving in themselves the due penalty of their error. 28 Even as they refused to have God in their knowledge, God gave them up to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not fitting; 29 being filled with all unrighteousness, sexual immorality, wickedness, covetousness, malice; full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, evil habits, secret slanderers, 30 backbiters, hateful to God, insolent, arrogant, boastful, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents, 31 without understanding, covenant breakers, without natural affection, unforgiving, unmerciful; 32 who, knowing the ordinance of God, that those who practice such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but also approve of those who practice them.

Going back to the op.

You don't want God, you get exactly what you want...

Nothing to do with God.

Looking further into Edward's comments about this issue....

He's a liberal church historian.

The first thing I note about liberals in religion is that they reject the bible as a matter of practice.

The next thing I've noticed of them is that whatever they don't like, they malign.

And I think the statement

Edwards called the traditional evangelical view of hell a “Hades doctrine” presenting God as “the Eternal Torturer”

sums up malignant perfectly

I reject your rejection of the premise of the question...
That about sums it up....

I was however trying to get them to actually think about what they are saying, and doing to themselves.

It's like they're committing suicide and believing that it'll be better for them.

The lack of mental acuity is indeed astonishing.

That about sums it up....

I was however trying to get them to actually think about what they are saying, and doing to themselves.

It's like they're committing suicide and believing that it'll be better for them.

The lack of mental acuity is indeed astonishing.
Scripture speaks of those who find the teaching of the cross as foolishness because of that what are they doing? Perishing. And yet, even though God has revealed Himself through His creation so no one has an excuse we find many who, for whatever reason, whether they believe they are smarter than God, or more moral than God, or revel in their own depravity and approve of those who do likewise, or believe in and of themselves that they are somehow, someway, omniscient, then through their pride, arrogance and overt hatred of God and hardened heart they claim ignorance which keeps them from finding the humility to admit they are sinners, lost and in need of a Savior.

Last edited:
Scripture speaks of those who find the teaching of the cross as foolishness because of that what are they doing? Perishing. And yet, even though God has revealed Himself through His creation so no one has an excuse we find many who, for whatever reason, whether they believe they are smarter than God, or more moral than God, or revel in their own depravity and approve of those who do likewise, or believe in and of themselves that they are somehow, someway, omniscient, then their pride, arrogance and overt hatred of God and hardened heart they claim ignorance which keeps them from finding the humility to admit they are sinners, lost and in need of a Savior.
Indeed.

Before, and after (since) the old forum collapsed, I'd posted a fairly detailed op on the foolishness of preaching the cross of Jesus.

Last year, Randy Alcorn had made a statement about the sheer stupidity of rejecting Jesus, just because the consequences of sin are eternal. In his comment on it, he'd quoted Proverbs 1:32

Pro 1:32 BSB For the waywardness of the simple will slay them, and the complacency of fools will destroy them.

It's like they actually want to be destroyed.

Which is exactly why I've stated several times before that they are deliberately choosing to spend their eternity in the lake of fire.
🤦‍♂️

Back