Your election is made certain only through your diligence of "your" faith, moral excellence, knowledge, self-control, godliness, etc... (2 Pet 1-11).

So you lied. Again. NOWHERE does scripture say God regenerates those who believe. Foot in mouth disease again.
John 1:12 (KJV) — 12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:

Regeneration makes one a child of God John 1:12, 13

(5) The “children of God.”—Those who are “begotten of God” are ipso facto “children of God” (tékna theoú, Jn 1:12; 11:52; 1 Jn 3:1, 2, 10; 5:2).1

1 R. Law, “Johannine, Theology, The,” ed. James Orr et al., The International Standard Bible Encyclopaedia (Chicago: The Howard-Severance Company, 1915), 1703.

Children of God (tekna theou). In the full spiritual sense, not as mere offspring of God true of all men (Acts 17:28). Paul's phrase huioi theou (Galatians 3:26) for believers, used also by Jesus of the pure in heart (Matthew 5:9), does not occur in John's Gospel (but in Rev. 21:7). It is possible that John prefers ta tekna tou theou for the spiritual children of God whether Jew or Gentile (John 11:52) because of the community of nature (teknon from root tek-, to beget). But one cannot follow Westcott in insisting on "adoption" as Paul's reason for the use of huioi since Jesus uses huioi theou in Matthew 5:9. Clearly the idea of regeneration is involved here as in John 3:3.

Word Pictures in the New Testament.

Vincent agrees

Sons (τέκνα)

Rev., more correctly, children. Son is υἱός. Τέκνον, child (τίκτω, to bring forth), denotes a relation based on community of nature

Word Studies in the New Testament.

τέκνα θ. γενέσθαι] The spiritual life owes its beginning to a birth from above, ch. 3:3–7. And this birth is owing to the Holy Spirit of God; so that this is equivalent to saying, ‘As many as received Him, to them gave He His Holy Spirit.’ And we find that it was so: see Acts 10:44.

Henry Alford, Alford’s Greek Testament: An Exegetical and Critical Commentary (vol. 1; Grand Rapids, MI: Guardian Press, 1976), 684.

CHILDREN OF GOD. Persons in this category are only those who of the fallen race are regenerated as a result of faith in Christ1

1 Merrill F. Unger, “Children of God,” ed. R.K. Harrison, The New Unger’s Bible Dictionary (Chicago: Moody Press, 1988).

Galatians 3:26 (KJV 1900) — 26 For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.

The Holy Spirit regenerates a person under the impact of the gospel message. Peter claimed that believers have been born again “through the living and enduring word of God” (1 Pet 1:23 NIV), which is “the word that was preached to you” (1 Pet 1:25 NIV). James stated that God “chose to give us birth through the word of truth” (Jas 1:18 NIV). God speaks through the gospel to summon people to Himself and enables them to respond in faith, thus forming the context in which regeneration occurs (Dunn, Baptism, 37–38).1

1 Kirk R. MacGregor, “Regeneration,” The Lexham Bible Dictionary (Bellingham, WA: Lexham Press, 2016).

1 Corinthians 4:15 (KJV 1900) — 15 For though ye have ten thousand instructors in Christ, yet have ye not many fathers: for in Christ Jesus I have begotten you through the gospel.

how?

1 Corinthians 15:1–11 (KJV 1900) — 1 Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand; 2 By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain. 3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; 4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: 5 And that he was seen of Cephas, then of the twelve: 6 After that, he was seen of above five hundred brethren at once; of whom the greater part remain unto this present, but some are fallen asleep. 7 After that, he was seen of James; then of all the apostles. 8 And last of all he was seen of me also, as of one born out of due time. 9 For I am the least of the apostles, that am not meet to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God. 10 But by the grace of God I am what I am: and his grace which was bestowed upon me was not in vain; but I laboured more abundantly than they all: yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me. 11 Therefore whether it were I or they, so we preach, and so ye believed.

by preaching the gospel they believed

James 1:18 (KJV) — 18 Of his own will begat he us with the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures.

1 Peter 1:18–25 (KJV) — 18 Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers; 19 But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot: 20 Who verily was foreordained before the foundation of the world, but was manifest in these last times for you, 21 Who by him do believe in God, that raised him up from the dead, and gave him glory; that your faith and hope might be in God. 22 Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit unto unfeigned love of the brethren, see that ye love one another with a pure heart fervently: 23 Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever. 24 For all flesh is as grass, and all the glory of man as the flower of grass. The grass withereth, and the flower thereof falleth away: 25 But the word of the Lord endureth for ever. And this is the word which by the gospel is preached unto you.

So you lied. Again. NOWHERE does scripture say God regenerates those who believe. Foot in mouth disease again.
“He came to that which was his own, but his own did not receive him. Yet to all who did receive him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God— children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband’s will, but born of God.” John 1:11-13

Believing and receiving results in being given the right to “become children of God”! Children “born of God”. This is regeneration!

Doug

"No man can come to me". Ability OPPS
unless they hear and learn from the father

which even believing Moses would have sufficed

John 5:46 (KJV 1900) — 46 For had ye believed Moses, ye would have believed me: for he wrote of me.

or john the baptist

John 1:7 (KJV 1900) — 7 The same came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all men through him might believe.

or the writings of john the apostle

John 20:31 (KJV 1900) — 31 But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.

or any apostle

John 17:20 (KJV 1900) — 20 Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word;

John 1:12 (KJV) — 12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:

Ripping verses out of context, AGAIN:

John 1:13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

“He came to that which was his own, but his own did not receive him. Yet to all who did receive him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God— children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband’s will, but born of God.” John 1:11-13

Believing and receiving results in being given the right to “become children of God”! Children “born of God”. This is regeneration!

Once you work "nor of human decision" into the picture, you'll see the big picture.

So once again, you have twisted God's word beyond all recognition, simply to try to force it to fit your false theology.

You've completely DEMOLISHED "no man can come to me", and changed it into:

"EVERYONE can come to me, all they have to do (ie. works-salvation) is ...."

Ripping verses out of context, AGAIN:

John 1:13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.
sorry that refesr to the act of regeneration

not the receiving of Christ which gives one the right to be made a son of God

it is regeneration which makes one a son of god

you ignored the rest

(5) The “children of God.”—Those who are “begotten of God” are ipso facto “children of God” (tékna theoú, Jn 1:12; 11:52; 1 Jn 3:1, 2, 10; 5:2).1

1 R. Law, “Johannine, Theology, The,” ed. James Orr et al., The International Standard Bible Encyclopaedia (Chicago: The Howard-Severance Company, 1915), 1703.

Children of God (tekna theou). In the full spiritual sense, not as mere offspring of God true of all men (Acts 17:28). Paul's phrase huioi theou (Galatians 3:26) for believers, used also by Jesus of the pure in heart (Matthew 5:9), does not occur in John's Gospel (but in Rev. 21:7). It is possible that John prefers ta tekna tou theou for the spiritual children of God whether Jew or Gentile (John 11:52) because of the community of nature (teknon from root tek-, to beget). But one cannot follow Westcott in insisting on "adoption" as Paul's reason for the use of huioi since Jesus uses huioi theou in Matthew 5:9. Clearly the idea of regeneration is involved here as in John 3:3.

Word Pictures in the New Testament.

Vincent agrees

Sons (τέκνα)

Rev., more correctly, children. Son is υἱός. Τέκνον, child (τίκτω, to bring forth), denotes a relation based on community of nature

Word Studies in the New Testament.

τέκνα θ. γενέσθαι] The spiritual life owes its beginning to a birth from above, ch. 3:3–7. And this birth is owing to the Holy Spirit of God; so that this is equivalent to saying, ‘As many as received Him, to them gave He His Holy Spirit.’ And we find that it was so: see Acts 10:44.

Henry Alford, Alford’s Greek Testament: An Exegetical and Critical Commentary (vol. 1; Grand Rapids, MI: Guardian Press, 1976), 684.

CHILDREN OF GOD. Persons in this category are only those who of the fallen race are regenerated as a result of faith in Christ1

1 Merrill F. Unger, “Children of God,” ed. R.K. Harrison, The New Unger’s Bible Dictionary (Chicago: Moody Press, 1988).

Galatians 3:26 (KJV 1900) — 26 For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.

The Holy Spirit regenerates a person under the impact of the gospel message. Peter claimed that believers have been born again “through the living and enduring word of God” (1 Pet 1:23 NIV), which is “the word that was preached to you” (1 Pet 1:25 NIV). James stated that God “chose to give us birth through the word of truth” (Jas 1:18 NIV). God speaks through the gospel to summon people to Himself and enables them to respond in faith, thus forming the context in which regeneration occurs (Dunn, Baptism, 37–38).1

1 Kirk R. MacGregor, “Regeneration,” The Lexham Bible Dictionary (Bellingham, WA: Lexham Press, 2016).

1 Corinthians 4:15 (KJV 1900) — 15 For though ye have ten thousand instructors in Christ, yet have ye not many fathers: for in Christ Jesus I have begotten you through the gospel.

how?

1 Corinthians 15:1–11 (KJV 1900) — 1 Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand; 2 By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain. 3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; 4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: 5 And that he was seen of Cephas, then of the twelve: 6 After that, he was seen of above five hundred brethren at once; of whom the greater part remain unto this present, but some are fallen asleep. 7 After that, he was seen of James; then of all the apostles. 8 And last of all he was seen of me also, as of one born out of due time. 9 For I am the least of the apostles, that am not meet to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God. 10 But by the grace of God I am what I am: and his grace which was bestowed upon me was not in vain; but I laboured more abundantly than they all: yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me. 11 Therefore whether it were I or they, so we preach, and so ye believed.

by preaching the gospel they believed

James 1:18 (KJV) — 18 Of his own will begat he us with the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures.

1 Peter 1:18–25 (KJV) — 18 Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers; 19 But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot: 20 Who verily was foreordained before the foundation of the world, but was manifest in these last times for you, 21 Who by him do believe in God, that raised him up from the dead, and gave him glory; that your faith and hope might be in God. 22 Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit unto unfeigned love of the brethren, see that ye love one another with a pure heart fervently: 23 Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever. 24 For all flesh is as grass, and all the glory of man as the flower of grass. The grass withereth, and the flower thereof falleth away: 25 But the word of the Lord endureth for ever. And this is the word which by the gospel is preached unto you.

So once again, you have twisted God's word beyond all recognition, simply to try to force it to fit your false theology.

You've completely DEMOLISHED "no man can come to me", and changed it into:

"EVERYONE can come to me, all they have to do (ie. works-salvation) is ...."
sorry verse 44 is followed by verse 45

John 6:45 (KJV 1900) — 45 It is written in the prophets, And they shall be all taught of God. Every man therefore that hath heard, and hath learned of the Father, cometh unto me.

and these other verses show the fathers voice can be heard in a multiplicity of ways

John 5:46 (KJV 1900) — 46 For had ye believed Moses, ye would have believed me: for he wrote of me.

or john the baptist

John 1:7 (KJV 1900) — 7 The same came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all men through him might believe.

John 20:31 (KJV 1900) — 31 But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.

or any apostle

John 17:20 (KJV 1900) — 20 Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word;

you simply ignore them

or john the baptist

or any apostle

And the the WILL come to me. So they are unable until enabled by the Father.

And the the WILL come to me. So they are unable until enabled by the Father.
through revelation

or john the baptist

or any apostle

also

Romans 10:10–17 (KJV 1900) — 10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. 11 For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed. 12 For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him. 13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved. 14 How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher? 15 And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things! 16 But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report? 17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

why do you deny the word of God?

sorry verse 44 is followed by verse 45

I'm well aware of that.
I've read the passage MANY times, both in English and in Greek.
And James White has written an EXCELLENT exegesis of John 6:35-45 in his book, "Drawn By the Father".

John 6:45 (KJV 1900) — 45 It is written in the prophets, And they shall be all taught of God. Every man therefore that hath heard, and hath learned of the Father, cometh unto me.

As I have explained to you MANY times already, this is NOT giving the "requirements" for man to 'make themselves drawn". That is a complete contradiction to the previous verse, "no man can come to me".

It is NOT our action that causes the drawing.
It is GOD's action:

"No man can come to me unless the FATHER ... draws him"

What John 6:45 is explaining is HOW the Father draws us, by teaching us.
It is not explaining "why" the Father draws us.

you simply ignore them

The above shows that you are MISREPRESENTING me yet again.
Just because you don't like the correct interpretation of Scripture does NOT mean that I'm "ignoring" them.

You owe me an apology.

I'm well aware of that.
I've read the passage MANY times, both in English and in Greek.
And James White has written an EXCELLENT exegesis of John 6:35-45 in his book, "Drawn By the Father".

As I have explained to you MANY times already, this is NOT giving the "requirements" for man to 'make themselves drawn". That is a complete contradiction to the previous verse, "no man can come to me".

It is NOT our action that causes the drawing.
It is GOD's action:

"No man can come to me unless the FATHER ... draws him"

What John 6:45 is explaining is HOW the Father draws us, by teaching us.
It is not explaining "why" the Father draws us.

The above shows that you are MISREPRESENTING me yet again.
Just because you don't like the correct interpretation of Scripture does NOT mean that I'm "ignoring" them.

You owe me an apology.
and it is revelation which draws

much like those other verses

or john the baptist

or any apostle

also

Romans 10:10–17 (KJV 1900) — 10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. 11 For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed. 12 For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him. 13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved. 14 How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher? 15 And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things! 16 But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report? 17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

You’re welcome; I’m always glad to interact with you!

Faith is the conduit of Grace. We access God’s grace through or by means of faith, or from God’s perspective he enacts grace upon us when faith in his promise is, in his judgment, truly expressed.

Whether faith is a filthy rag exercise or not, to me, is irrelevant because that is all we have to offer, and it falls short of his glory. Thus, it is incapable of being meritorious, nor does mean I deserve God’s grace. But God accepts it as righteousness and acts graciously in response and washes it white as snow. It is his grace that effects change, from first to last, and it is by faith in his promises that we live, from first to last!

I hold to man’s total dependence upon God’s grace and power for anything truly good and righteous. The seat of our heart, our very being, is corrupted through and through, affecting every impulse and desire and bending it away from the heart and will of God.

I hold that God is sovereign, and no other power that may exist can do anything to usurp, override, or otherwise thwart his authority! Thus, man’s actions are totally impotent to overthrow his authority or purpose!

God is the standard setter; the writer of the rules, the establisher of boundaries, the author and finisher. He establishes the protocols and circumstances under which he chooses to be gracious toward anyone.

Doug
Without God's Unmerited Favor, all we have that we can offer up is our Filthy-Rag faith. This seems elementary, especially since you said that you hold to Man's total dependence upon God's Grace and Power for anything truly Good andRighteous...

Without God's Unmerited Favor, all we have that we can offer up is our Filthy-Rag faith. This seems elementary, especially since you said that you hold to Man's total dependence upon God's Grace and Power for anything truly Good andRighteous...
But God counts our filthy rag faith as righteousness. Everything we are and bring to God when we come to him in faith is filthy rags, which why it is all Grace.

Doug

We disagree about this. Why do people need Prevenient Grace then? Why do people need Illumination, if Filthy-Rag faith is acceptable to God?
They need to be illuminated about their own personal guilt and culpability before God! They need illumined that with the above bad news, there is good news and with it, hope!

Our filthy rags are not apparent to us without “the light that shines on everyone coming into the world”. And without the gospel we would not hear the apostolic message to “be reconciled to God”!

When, by Grace, we become aware that we are but filthy rags, we also become aware that God will accept us by that same grace if we trust him to keep his promises!

Left to ourselves, we could never reach this knowledge!

Doug

Conditional election is merited election.
Liberalism is always in the imperative mood; where as Christianity is always in the triumphant indicative; liberalism always appeals to the human will; Christianity announces first, a Gracious Act of God. What we need is not exhortation, but a Gospel, not directions for saving myself, but knowledge or better yet the facts on how God has saved me & you. Have you any good news, I know your exhortation will not help me, but if anything has been done to save me, will you not tell me the facts?

(Christianity Liberalism By J. Gresham Machen)

A Gem for you Bro!​

Faith is not the object of “the gift of God”. The salvation, which is by grace through faith, is the gift of God.

Doug
Grace and Faith is God's gift of Salvation as well, Douggy!

Matthew 16:15 He said to them, “But who do you say that I am?”16 Simon Peter replied, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.” 17 And Jesus answered him, “Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jonah! For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my Father who is in heaven.​

But God counts our filthy rag faith as righteousness. Everything we are and bring to God when we come to him in faith is filthy rags, which why it is all Grace.

Doug
Doug, can you define this for me? Because our God given Faith, is credited with the Righteousness of Christ. And it's this righteousness that is imputed to the ungodly believer that God declares him/her justified through faith alone apart from his/her works! So, it's not faith is righteousness, but that Faith passively receives Christ's righteousness through the Proclamation of the Gospel.

Conditional election is merited election.
Not according to scripture

Romans 4:1–16 (KJV 1900) — 1 What shall we say then that Abraham our father, as pertaining to the flesh, hath found? 2 For if Abraham were justified by works, he hath whereof to glory; but not before God. 3 For what saith the scripture? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness. 4 Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt. 5 But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. .........................................
16 Therefore it is of faith, that it might be by grace; to the end the promise might be sure to all the seed; not to that only which is of the law, but to that also which is of the faith of Abraham; who is the father of us all,

and Election is in Christ

Back