Common Figure of Speech/Colloquial Language?

I have personally always believed that most likely Christ was crucified on Thursday not Friday ... Friday would have been the Sabbath as well as the first day of passover and I do not believe the priests would have been encouraging His death on the Sabbath...

How would the topic apply to me or to anyone? In your opinion.
eve,
re: "How would the topic apply to me or to anyone?"

The Messiah said that He would be three days and three nights in the "heart of the earth".

This topic would apply to you or to anyone who believes that the crucifixion took place on the 6th day of the week with the resurrection taking place on the 1st day of the week; and who thinks that the "heart of the earth" is referring to the tomb or at the earliest to the moment when His spirit left His body; and who tries to explain the lack of a 3rd night by saying that the Messiah was using common figure of speech/colloquial language.

I have personally always believed that most likely Christ was crucified on Thursday not Friday ... Friday would have been the Sabbath as well as the first day of passover and I do not believe the priests would have been encouraging His death on the Sabbath...
That would be an issue for a different topic. Perhaps you might start one.

1. The Messiah said that He would be three days and three nights in the "heart of the earth".

2. There are some who think that the crucifixion took place on the 6th day of the week with the resurrection taking place on the 1st day of the week.

3. And of those, there are some who think that the "heart of the earth" is referring to the tomb or at the earliest to the moment when His spirit left His body).

4. However, a 6th day of the week crucifixion/1st day of the week resurrection allows for only 2 nights to be involved.

5. To account for the lack of a 3rd night, there may be some of those mentioned above who try to explain the lack of a 3rd night by saying that the Messiah was using common figure of speech/colloquial language.

6. I'm simply curious if anyone who may fall in the above group of believers might provide examples to support the belief of commonality; i.e., instances where a daytime or a night time was forecast or said to be involved with an event when no part of a daytime or no part of a night time could have occurred.
"Three days" is used by Hebrew idiom for any part of three days and three nights is not disputed; because that was the common way of reckoning, just as it was when used of years. Three or any number of years was used inclusively of any part of those years, as may be seen in the reckoning of the reigns of any of the kings of Israel or Judah.

In the expression, "the heart of the earth" (Matt. 12:40), the meaning is the same as "the heart of the sea", "heart" being put by the Fig. Metonymy (of the Subject), for "the midst", and is frequently so translated. See Ps. 46:2. Jer. 51:1. Ezek. 27:4, 25, 26, 27; 28:2. It is used of ships when sailing "in the heart of the seas", i.e. in or on the sea. See Ezek. 27:25, 26; 28:8; also of people dwelling in the heart of the seas, i.e. on islands (Ezek. 28:2).

I take scripture literally. The heart of the earth is not a tomb as in a physical burial place in this world.
The events are describing something in the other world.

That's why I added: "or at the earliest to the moment when His spirit left His body".

Do the other 2 conditions apply to you?

eve,
re: "I don't understand why you are focusing on it."

Read the OP.

re: "Can you explain your position?"

My position is that if someone says that it was common to forecast or say that a daytime or a night time would be involved with an event when no part of a daytime or no part of a night time could occur, then they would have to have examples to show that it was common usage.

BTW, why did you respond to my post to shnarkle instead of my post to you?

I don't know what day of the week He died on. It's usually marked on Friday, Good Friday, but that is a Roman Custom and
they also made other calendar changes as well as altered scripture. I don't trust any of that.
We know from the Bible that the crucifixion took place during daylight prior to the beginning of the Sabbath at nightfall, IOW on Friday.
It is also why without cheap artificial lighting (and possibly curfews), immediately on the morning after the Sabbath, disciples were coming to finish preparing the body for formal burial, IOW Sunday.

eve,
re: "Why these six points, what was your point in writing these."

They set forth the requirements for those to whom this topic is directed.

re: "'There are some who think that the crucifixion took place on the 6th day of the week with the resurrection taking place on the 1st day of the week.' Is that bad in your opinion?"

It is if the Messiah actually meant that 3 nights would be involved with His time in the "heart of the earth".

re: "'And of those, there are some who think that the 'heart of the earth' is referring to the tomb or at the earliest to the moment when His spirit left His body." What do you think it means?"

That it refers to the tomb or at the earliest to the moment when His spirit left His body.

re: "'However, a 6th day of the week crucifixion/1st day of the week resurrection allows for only 2 nights to be involved." But the third night is in paradise..."

How do you get a third night in paradise with a 6th day of the week crucifixion/1st day of the week resurrection?

re: "I'm not criticizing your point of view..."

For the purpose of this topic my only point of view is that for someone to say that it was common to forecast or say that a daytime or a night time would be involved with an event when no part of a daytime or no part of a night time could occur, they would have to know of actual examples to legitimately say that it was common.

kamaeq,
re: "... the crucifixion took place during daylight prior to the beginning of the Sabbath at nightfall, IOW on Friday."

Do you account for the lack of a 3rd night by saying that the Messiah was using common figure of speech/colloquial language?

kamaeq,
re: "... the crucifixion took place during daylight prior to the beginning of the Sabbath at nightfall, IOW on Friday."

Do you account for the lack of a 3rd night by saying that the Messiah was using common figure of speech/colloquial language?
What difference does it make? Technical difficulties will be resolved in you when you receive from God that what Jesus received from Him in Matt 3:16. All of His knowledge will be opened to you as well. if you will receive from Him the same.

Gary Mac,
re: "What difference does it make?"

That would be an issue for a different topic. Perhaps you could start one.

Gary Mac,
re: "Different subject?"

Yes. Your question has nothing to do with being able to provide examples.

I am not arguing. I already asked the poster what was the point of the op? The important thing now is to come to Him.
No problem, just laying out why it is Good Friday and Easter Sunday, not some other days of the week.

A lot of the OP's questions are based on simple demands that the Bible fit the standards of a rigid and dry science dictionary (aka "wooden literalism"). IMO it is one of the most common, if not the most common way people attack/question the Bible. You know, like they have discovered something new recently that everybody else for the last 2000 years or more have totally missed.

Minor joke: you know why so many academics distrust the Bible and call it in error?

Because God didn't follow their style manual and syllabus when He wrote it.

So actually what it amounts to is you are unable to answer my question.

For once, just once, I would like to keep a topic on topic. An answer to your question "What difference does it make?" has absolutely nothing to do with being able to provide examples.

And as what is so often the case, any answer I might give could very likely cause the start of a new topic thus derailing this one.

Back