Does the LDS church teach that men can evolve into a God?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Book of Mormon lacks the core teachings of Mormonism
Everything in the Book of Mormon is the "core teaching of Mormonism". Joseph Smith said, "Take away the Book of Mormon and the revelations, and where is our religion? We have none." (HC 2:52)
why doesn’t the BOM mention most of LDS teachings?
That is not true. Like I said, everything taught in the Book of Mormon is the core teachings of the Church. Do you know how many great doctrines are taught in the Book of Mormon? I haven't counted them. But I would guess that they run into hundreds, if not thousands. They are all "core teachings" of the Church.
Like baptism for the dead, celestial marriage, three degrees of glory, that God the Father was a man, plurality of gods, tempory hell, pre-existence of spirits, eternal progression, eternal intelligence, priesthood needed to act for god, plural marriage, polygamy, word of wisdom, secret handshakes etc.
Firstly, those are not the "core teachings" of the Church. When Joseph Smith was asked what were the fundamental doctrines of the Church, his reply was, "The fundamental principles of our religion are the testimony of the Apostles and Prophets concerning Jesus Christ, that He died, was buried, and rose again the third day, and ascended into heaven; and all other things which pertain to our religion are only appendages to it." (Teachings, p 121). Those are the "core doctrines" of the Church. Secondly, where does it say that every doctrine of the Church should be found in just one book of scripture? That is why we have multiple books, because they are not all supposed to contain everything. The Bible is not all one book either. It is a compilation of many books, written at different times. Our Articles of Faith says, "We believe all that God has revealed, all that he does now reveal, and we believe that He will yet reveal many great and important things pertaining to the Kingdom of God." It is not like your apostate religion which died hundreds of years ago, and has not been receiving any revelations from God since.

Last edited:
Everything in the Book of Mormon is the "core teaching of Mormonism". Joseph Smith said, "Take away the Book of Mormon and the revelations, and where is our religion? We have none." (HC 2:52)

That is not true. Like I said, everything taught in the Book of Mormon is the core teachings of the Church. Do you know how many great doctrines are taught in the Book of Mormon? I haven't counted them. But I would guess that they run into hundreds, if not thousands. They are all "core teachings" of the Church.

Firstly, those are not the "core teachings" of the Church. When Joseph Smith was asked what were the fundamental doctrines of the Church, his reply was,
"The fundamental principles of our religion are the testimony of the Apostles and Prophets concerning Jesus Christ, that He died, was buried, and rose again the third day, and ascended into heaven; and all other things which pertain to our religion are only appendages to it." (Teachings, p 121). Those are the "core doctrines" of the Church. Secondly, where does it say that every doctrine of the Church should be found in just one book of scripture? That is why we have multiple books, because they are not all supposed to contain everything. The Bible is not all one book either. It is a compilation of many books, written at different times. Our Articles of Faith says, "We believe all that God has revealed, all that he does now reveal, and we believe that He will yet reveal many great and important things pertaining to the Kingdom of God." It is not like your apostate religion which died hundreds of years ago, and has not been receiving any revelations from God since.
The Book of Mormon does not teach what LDS teach about Jesus

Ztz5VwA.jpg

Can you not see what the prophet posted? I can. And it is not an image, but a list, contrasting the Mormon Jesus--on the left side--with the Christian Jesus, on the right.

OR is it not that you can't reply, but rather that you WON'T?

No, that is not what "after" means. And your church's own website agrees with us, under its Bible dictionary, under "grace."

This does NOT say "in SPITE of all we can do." It says "AFTER." And NOT without "total effort" on our part.
So Nephi contradicts himself?

2 Ne 10:24
24 Wherefore, my beloved brethren, reconcile yourselves to the will of God, and not to the will of the devil and the flesh; and remember, after ye are reconciled unto God, that it is only in and through the grace of God that ye are saved.

2 Ne 2:8
8 Wherefore, how great the importance to make these things known unto the inhabitants of the earth, that they may know that there is no flesh that can dwell in the presence of God, save it be through the merits, and mercy, and grace of the Holy Messiah, who layeth down his life according to the flesh, and taketh it again by the power of the Spirit, that he may bring to pass the resurrection of the dead, being the first that should rise.

The Bible also supports that grace makes up the difference, not carry us all the way there:
Ephesians 4:7
7 But unto every one of us is given grace according to the measure of the gift of Christ.

Ztz5VwA.jpg
Do you have any evidence that Mormons believe Jesus has a Heavenly Mother?

Are you saying Jesus is not fully God in his own right?

The Trinity has its own forum, this is the Mormonism board

Can you cite where Jesus received a spirit body?

You’re saying Christ did not suffer in Gathsemane?

You don’t have the authority to speak for all of Christianity.

You mean besides the admission of many Mormons?
They keep telling me, "doctrine about her is sacred, not secret".

You really don't know anything about Mormonism, do you?:

"The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints teaches that all human beings, male and female, are beloved spirit children of heavenly parents, a Heavenly Father and a Heavenly Mother. This understanding is rooted in scriptural and prophetic teachings about the nature of God, our relationship to Deity, and the godly potential of men and women. The doctrine of a Heavenly Mother is a cherished and distinctive belief among Latter-day Saints."

No, he didn't say anything of the sort.
Funny how you whine that Christians engage in fallacious argumentation, but here you are straw-manning us ALL the time.

The issue is not whether Christ suffered in Gethsemane (and it's not "Gath..."), the issue is whether Gethsemane was part of the atonement.

You don't have the authority to speak of what he has authority to speak for.

Jesus doesn't have a heavenly mother Hebrews 7:3, Mosiah 3:5
Jesus is fully God

We teach Jesus has a resurrected body of flesh and bone 1 Tim 2:5
Yes Jesus did suffer in the Garden but attornment didn't start there

I am a Traditional Christian Apologist

Ztz5VwA.jpg
You mean besides the admission of many Mormons?
They keep telling me, "doctrine about her is sacred, not secret".

You really don't know anything about Mormonism, do you?:

"The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints teaches that all human beings, male and female, are beloved spirit children of heavenly parents, a Heavenly Father and a Heavenly Mother. This understanding is rooted in scriptural and prophetic teachings about the nature of God, our relationship to Deity, and the godly potential of men and women. The doctrine of a Heavenly Mother is a cherished and distinctive belief among Latter-day Saints."

No, he didn't say anything of the sort.
Funny how you whine that Christians engage in fallacious argumentation, but here you are straw-manning us ALL the time.

The issue is not whether Christ suffered in Gethsemane (and it's not "Gath..."), the issue is whether Gethsemane was part of the atonement.

You don't have the authority to speak of what he has authority to speak for.
I have linked to that as well,to prove that Mormonism does indeed teach a heavenly mother. Some Mormons may not know that.

So Nephi contradicts himself?

2 Ne 10:24
24 Wherefore, my beloved brethren, reconcile yourselves to the will of God, and not to the will of the devil and the flesh; and remember, after ye are reconciled unto God, that it is only in and through the grace of God that ye are saved.

2 Ne 2:8
8 Wherefore, how great the importance to make these things known unto the inhabitants of the earth, that they may know that there is no flesh that can dwell in the presence of God, save it be through the merits, and mercy, and grace of the Holy Messiah, who layeth down his life according to the flesh, and taketh it again by the power of the Spirit, that he may bring to pass the resurrection of the dead, being the first that should rise.

The Bible also supports that grace makes up the difference, not carry us all the way there:
Ephesians 4:7
7 But unto every one of us is given grace according to the measure of the gift of Christ.
Grace doesn't make up the difference. Because NONE of us does ALL that we can do, in order to have grace kick in. Paul said we are saved by greace THROUGH faith, and NOT by works. What part of "not by works" do you not understand?

Jesus doesn't have a heavenly mother Hebrews 7:3, Mosiah 3:5
So I'm assuming the answer is "No, no evidence exists of Jesus' Heavenly Mother."

Jesus is fully God
If the Father and the Holy Ghost are also God, does that make you a polytheist?

We teach Jesus has a resurrected body of flesh and bone 1 Tim 2:5
That's great. But this is a Mormonism forum.
Can you cite, in Mormonism, where Jesus received a spirit body?

Yes Jesus did suffer in the Garden but attornment didn't start there
Reference?

I am a Traditional Christian Apologist
And that means ???? concerning your authority?

If the Father and the Holy Ghost are also God, does that make you a polytheist?

No, because they are not different "gods".

Only ONE god exists.

That's why you can't address Deut. 4:35,39, Deut. 32:39, 1 Kings 8:60, Ps. 86:10, Isa. 44:6,8, Isa. 45:5,21,22, Isa. 46:9, Mark 12:32, 1 Cor. 8:4, etc. etc. etc.

Why should we trust our OPINION on how doctrine is made?
Where do you find that "qualification" on lds.org?
You shouldn’t. Cite your sources.

Here’s a good summary of “qualifications”:

Also, look at the Articles of Faith. The message is consistent: Scriptures, Church, Holy Ghost

No, because they are not different "gods".

Only ONE god exists.

That's why you can't address Deut. 4:35,39, Deut. 32:39, 1 Kings 8:60, Ps. 86:10, Isa. 44:6,8, Isa. 45:5,21,22, Isa. 46:9, Mark 12:32, 1 Cor. 8:4, etc. etc. etc.
So Jesus is not fully God? Are you espousing Partialism?

While you may believe I’m game playing, the is the exact reasoning used against us. Annoying, isn’t it?

I will respond to your scriptures in due time.

Correction. Not "can't reply" but won't or refuses to reply would be your best word choices. Can't means unable. You are certainly able but choose not to. Wonder why?
You can quote from and reply selectively to text, but not to an image, except in a convoluted and time wasting way. My experience with him is that he is not interested in engaging in discussion. He just wants to make announcements and pronouncements, so he prefers to post images rather than type text. Even when he is replied to, he ignores the reply, and continues to post the same image over and over as if nothing had happened. That should not be allowed. It should be against board rules to do that. This is supposed to be a forum for discussion, not for making pronouncements and announcements. It defeats the board's objective when someone does that.

You can quote from and reply selectively to text, but not to an image, except in a convoluted and time wasting way. My experience with him is that he is not interested in engaging in discussion. He just wants to make announcements and pronouncements, so he prefers to post images rather than type text. Even when he is replied to, he ignores the reply, and continues to post the same image over and over as if nothing had happened. That should not be allowed. It should be against board rules to do that. This is supposed to be a forum for discussion, not for making pronouncements and announcements. It defeats the board's objective when someone does that.
Amen!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back