How to Authentically Speak in Tongues

So you agree I was right. Thank you.
I think the fruit you display answers that question easily.
All about you, and you being right, and you proving a point, and you being so clever. Me, me, me, is all we see from you.

I think the fruit you display answers that question easily.
All about you, and you being right, and you proving a point, and you being so clever. Me, me, me, is all we see from you.
Not anywhere near like the fruit I've seen displayed here for those who have questions or disagree with the 'holier' pentecostals. IMHO

Not anywhere near like the fruit I've seen displayed here for those who have questions or disagree with the 'holier' pentecostals. IMHO
Again, your post is all about you.
You were the one critiquing a poster for sharing a testimony which would include what God was doing in that persons life, and one can expect a lot of I and me in such a testimony. Ultimately God gets the glory.

So far all we have seen from you, is self glorification and arrogance.

Where is your testimony?

Again, your post is all about you.
You were the one critiquing a poster for sharing a testimony which would include what God was doing in that persons life, and one can expect a lot of I and me in such a testimony. Ultimately God gets the glory.

So far all we have seen from you, is self glorification and arrogance.

Where is your testimony?
And the fruit is on display again. My statement stands.

Admittedly, the Holy Spirit cannot be limited to a specific operation formula.

What does all Bibles say in John 16:13 about how the Holy Spirit will not speak from Himself but He will speak what He hears?? Reads to me that Jesus is giving a limited specific operation formula here.

The problem here is that this truth in John 16:13 is not carried over in all modern Bibles as they change the meaning of His words in how the Holy Spirit makes intercessions indirectly with groanings which cannot be uttered; hence no sound at all in KJV

So then that phenomenon you had experienced is to be tested as 1 John 4:1-6. If you feel a spirit coming over you later on in life bringing that tongue that you are assuming for private use, because there was no interpretation, that was not the Holy Spirit at all when He has been in you since salvation; that is the first part of the test from 1 John 4:1-4.

The second part of the test in 1 John 4:5-6 is that God's gift of tongues will not sound like the world's supernatural tongue per Isaiah 8:19.

That means God's gift of tongues can only be of other men's lips to speak unto the people as the laws & the prophets declare in 1 Corinthians 14:20-21. If we are to prove all things and abstain from all appearances of evil, then God's gift of tongues cannot copy the world's tongues for then how can sinners repent from that kind of tongues if the church believes God's gift of tongues can be of confusion which God is not the author of?.

1 Thessalonians 5:21 Prove all things; hold fast that which is good. 22 Abstain from all appearance of evil.

23 And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. 24 Faithful is he that calleth you, who also will do it.

Something to pray normally about for discernment at that throne of grace.

A future post will explain why most initiations into speaking in tongues just produce babble that is of the flesh. But my OP will identify 3 proven principles for genuine glossolalia. Admittedly, the Holy Spirit cannot be limited to a specific operation formula. For example, when I was speaking in tongues at age 16, a visiting Lutheran pastor interrupted me to say he was an interested spectator who didn't believe in modern speaking in tongues. I didn't argue with him, but merely touched him gently on the forehead and he just exploded in other tongues!

(1) Praying in tongues is a form of praying in the Spirit (1 Corinthians 14:14). So to speak in tongues authentically, it is advisable to first learn to "pray in the Spirit" (Ephesians 6:18; Jude 20) in your own language. Paul makes it clear that praying in the Spirit is a key to waging effective spiritual warfare (Ephesians 6:11-18). Praying in the Spirit is spontaneous Spirit-directed prayer as opposed to consciously formulated prayers of intent.

(2) The expression "lost in praise" designates a particular type of praying in the Spirit that is often a launching pad for speaking in tongues. Being lost in praise is a type of intense longing for God in which the eruption of joy triggers spontaneous and uncontrolled praise in one's own language. It is the Lord who guides the praise: "O Lord, open my lips, and my mouth will declare your praise (Psalm 51:15)." This type of praise is superior because it reflects and derives from "the inner being" and "my secret heart" with which I am usually out of touch (51:6). Much of what we pass off as praise is forced and mechanical; so the Spirit's intervention is needed to create a "willing spirit" (51:12)." If our worship is too much of a head trip rather than a heart eruption, we may lose the Holy Spirit as an active force in our lives: "Do not cast me away from your presence and don't take your Holy Spirit from me (51:11)."

(3) To learn to pray in the Spirit, one should first learn how to "walk in the Spirit." Walking in the Spirit is often misunderstood as mere conscious obedience to God's Word, when in fact it is more mystical than that--the believer must master the art of being "led by the Spirit (Galatians 5:25)." Unless the believer has mastered this art, they will not experience all "the fruit of the Spirit (5:22-23)."

In my next planned post, I will share my testimony of how I learned to pray in the Spirit.

well ......

Why bother ever living anymore.

You spoke in tongues and everyone died?

So special

bd

Last edited:
And the fruit is on display again. My statement stands.
Berserk said:
Admittedly, the Holy Spirit cannot be limited to a specific operation formula.

What does all Bibles say in John 16:13 about how the Holy Spirit will not speak from Himself but He will speak what He hears?? Reads to me that Jesus is giving a limited specific operation formula here.

The problem here is that this truth in John 16:13 is not carried over in all modern Bibles as they change the meaning of His words in how the Holy Spirit makes intercessions indirectly with groanings which cannot be uttered; hence no sound at all in KJV

So then that phenomenon you had experienced is to be tested as 1 John 4:1-6. If you feel a spirit coming over you later on in life bringing that tongue that you are assuming for private use, because there was no interpretation, that was not the Holy Spirit at all when He has been in you since salvation; that is the first part of the test from 1 John 4:1-4.

The second part of the test in 1 John 4:5-6 is that God's gift of tongues will not sound like the world's supernatural tongue per Isaiah 8:19.

That means God's gift of tongues can only be of other men's lips to speak unto the people as the laws & the prophets declare in 1 Corinthians 14:20-21. If we are to prove all things and abstain from all appearances of evil, then God's gift of tongues cannot copy the world's tongues for then how can sinners repent from that kind of tongues if the church believes God's gift of tongues can be of confusion which God is not the author of?.

1 Thessalonians 5:21 Prove all things; hold fast that which is good. 22 Abstain from all appearance of evil.

23 And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. 24 Faithful is he that calleth you, who also will do it.

Something to pray normally about for discernment at that throne of grace.

That is a marvelous testimony. Thank you. Did the Lutheran pastor stay in touch. I'd like to know what he told his congregation, and if he is still Lutheran.

Personally, I believe the term praying in the Spirit IS praying in tongues - our own prayer language of Mark 16:16-18 that doesn't require interpretation or understanding. And what you described I would call prophesying - your language directed by the Spirit.

1 Corinthians 14 is a lesson on the two different types of "tongues" and uses.

Mark 16:16-18 - individual use for edifying self. Direction - TO God.
1 Corinthians 12 - gifts for profit of congregation, including another tongue, but must have interpretation. Direction - FROM God, that must be interpreted.

13 Therefore let him who speaks in a tongue pray that he may interpret. 14 For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my understanding is unfruitful. 15 What is the conclusion then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will also pray with the understanding. I will sing with the spirit, and I will also sing with the understanding.

Praying with the Spirit is our private prayer language.
Praying with the understanding is tongues with interpretation for the profit of all.
I mean no offense but that sounds like just making sounds and thinking in English in your head what the prayer is. So why even make any utterances?

No, the camp meeting service had been dismissed and we were invited to come forward to pray at the altar. After a while, I was the only one left at the altar and was fervently seeking God's face, when I felt a mighty wind on the face and was wonderfully overpowered by the Spirit. Spectators drifted in and watched in awe as the sensed something supeanatural happening to me. One woman later told my my face was glowing in the dark and wondered if I realized this. One of the spectators was a skeptical Lutheran minister who told me he didn't believe om tongues and was just there as an interested spectator. I didn't argue with him; I just touched him gently on the forehead and he exploded in other tongues!

To learn more details about the context and background of my experience see my Life Journey thread in the Introduction section.
I think this is more about you and how you were glowing and how you touched the pastor and he "exploded on other tongues." I'm interested in what he said post "explosion." Is he now a committed Pentecostal or is he still Lutheran? How did this "experience" change him?

Back