Biblical Archaeology

DrDavidT

While I wait to hear from the powers that be about establishing a Christians only archaeology and Bible/History thread out of the reach of unbelievers, I will create this thread to enable people to talk about this subject without the interference of those who will never believe and only seek to cause trouble.

It is a shame that such interaction is allowing unbelieving interference and ruining the faith of many young believers. Like those threads, Biblical Archaeology is under attack by many unbelieving archaeologists. Dr. Wm. Dever is one of the loudest supporters for getting rid of that field of research and turning it into a Palestine archaeological movement.

While Palestine archaeology should not be ignored, that focus should not come at the expense of Biblical Archaeology. The Bible is true, the events are real and the people are real. They do not deserve to be shunted aside because unbelievers do not want to hear the truth. I have written on the future of biblical archaeology and my profile has the information on that e-book and at times that book is not kind to a few different Christian organizations or archaeologists.

Biblical archaeology should be used to get to the truth as the truth will never come from the professionals who do not believe

While I wait to hear from the powers that be about establishing a Christians only archaeology and Bible/History thread out of the reach of unbelievers, I will create this thread to enable people to talk about this subject without the interference of those who will never believe and only seek to cause trouble.

It is a shame that such interaction is allowing unbelieving interference and ruining the faith of many young believers. Like those threads, Biblical Archaeology is under attack by many unbelieving archaeologists. Dr. Wm. Dever is one of the loudest supporters for getting rid of that field of research and turning it into a Palestine archaeological movement.

While Palestine archaeology should not be ignored, that focus should not come at the expense of Biblical Archaeology. The Bible is true, the events are real and the people are real. They do not deserve to be shunted aside because unbelievers do not want to hear the truth. I have written on the future of biblical archaeology and my profile has the information on that e-book and at times that book is not kind to a few different Christian organizations or archaeologists.

Biblical archaeology should be used to get to the truth as the truth will never come from the professionals who do not believe
The issue you don't understand is that the bible simply isn't as accurate or reliable as you think it is. Your desire for a closed off forum on the topic indicates you don't think your ideas and those of others can stand up to skepticism.

The issue you don't understand is that the bible simply isn't as accurate or reliable as you think it is. Your desire for a closed off forum on the topic indicates you don't think your ideas and those of others can stand up to skepticism.

I agree with you. The problem of many believers is that they do not even allow the thought that in the times before and after the birth of Christ, everything could have happened in a completely different way. After all, the Bible was written by people, and a person is always biased when presenting thoughts. Besides, 2-3 thousand years ago there was a very approximate chronology. It can also be assumed that some events are exaggerated in order to make them more significant so that they are preserved in scripture.

While Palestine archaeology should not be ignored, that focus should not come at the expense of Biblical Archaeology. The Bible is true, the events are real and the people are real. They do not deserve to be shunted aside because unbelievers do not want to hear the truth. I have written on the future of biblical archaeology and my profile has the information on that e-book and at times that book is not kind to a few different Christian organizations or archaeologis

I'm not familiar with the funding or politics of this topic. What is your primary concern?
ts.

Interesting really how can it be known as Palestine archaeology, Palestine is a relatively new name for the area. To be it denotes a bias on who lived in the land.

Translation: Let's all resort to Confirmation Bias.

contact 4Him [email protected] asking about debated, and including specific members. Others can observe, but not participate. their posts will be deleted, and they will eventually be suspended

Skepticism is good at times, but there are some have turned it into a perpetual state of idiocy. For example in the academic world, there is no one who doubts the existence of Jesus. Idiots do, and they have no clue as to what academic rigors require.

That is the sort of stuff that is the subject of the OP.

For example, having studied Biblical Hebrew from one of the students of William Albright, and who chaired the final revision committee of the NIV, we were told lots of stories about Albright's requirements for academic rigors.

On a personal, having done post grad work at Colgate Rochester, the home of the social gospel, I learned that if you could make a statement contrary to what the liberal professors believed, it would be accepted as long as it was backed up by evidence. Thus, as an Evangelical, I could do studies on Pheobe Palmer, and earn good grades so long as I maintained academic excellence. Idiots cannot do that. Therefore, the author of the OP, @DrDavidT is quite correct about what he has observed.

You may be thinking of a different kind of believer.

I believe that this phrase in the OP accurately describes the "different kiind of believer" you mention: "those who will never believe and only seek to cause trouble." Others may call them trolls.

Interesting really how can it be known as Palestine archaeology, Palestine is a relatively new name for the area. To be it denotes a bias on who lived in the land.

The facts of history do not support your thesis:

The term Palestine has been associated variously and sometimes controversially with this small region, which some have asserted also includes Jordan. Both the geographic area designated by the name and the political status of it have changed over the course of some three millennia. The region (or at least a part of it) is also known as the Holy Land and is held sacred among Jews, Christians, and Muslims. Since the 20th century it has been the object of conflicting claims of Jewish and Arab national movements, and the conflict has led to prolonged violence and, in several instances, open warfare.​
The word Palestine derives from Philistia, the name given by Greek writers to the land of the Philistines, who in the 12th century BC occupied a small pocket of land on the southern coast, between modern Tel Aviv–Yafo and Gaza. The name was revived by the Romans in the 2nd century AD in “Syria Palaestina,” designating the southern portion of the province of Syria, and made its way thence into Arabic, where it has been used to describe the region at least since the early Islamic era. After Roman times the name had no official status until after World War I and the end of rule by the Ottoman Empire, when it was adopted for one of the regions mandated to Great Britain; in addition to an area roughly comprising present-day Israel and the West Bank, the mandate included the territory east of the Jordan River now constituting the Hashimite Kingdom of Jordan, which Britain placed under an administration separate from that of Palestine immediately after receiving the mandate for the territory.....​

Palestine. (2008). Encyclopædia Britannica. Deluxe Edition. Chicago: Encyclopædia Britannica.

Skepticism is good at times, but there are some have turned it into a perpetual state of idiocy. For example in the academic world, there is no one who doubts the existence of Jesus. Idiots do, and they have no clue as to what academic rigors require.

That is the sort of stuff that is the subject of the OP.

For example, having studied Biblical Hebrew from one of the students of William Albright, and who chaired the final revision committee of the NIV, we were told lots of stories about Albright's requirements for academic rigors.

On a personal, having done post grad work at Colgate Rochester, the home of the social gospel, I learned that if you could make a statement contrary to what the liberal professors believed, it would be accepted as long as it was backed up by evidence. Thus, as an Evangelical, I could do studies on Pheobe Palmer, and earn good grades so long as I maintained academic excellence. Idiots cannot do that. Therefore, the author of the OP, @DrDavidT is quite correct about what he has observed.
Nope. The author of the OP is very much mistaken, as are you.

Nothing more idiotic than believing fantastical things without evidence.

Nothing more idiotic than believing fantastical things without evidence.
Except perhaps a poster who obviously knows nothing about who Professor William Albright of Johns Hopkins was (Google him) and his major contributions in the world of academics and Biblical archeology.

How many of the Dead Sea Scrolls have you handled and translated?

Last edited:
Except perhaps a poster who obviously knows nothing about who Professor William Albright of Johns Hopkins was (Google him) and his major contributions in the world of academics and Biblical archeology.

Off topic but to me interesting. I went to an exhibit of the dead sea scrolls which were amazing to see. However, other things found were amazing. The thing that interested me was the lice comb (it was the same as today's comb but different material) and there was someone doing research on the lice found in the comb.

Your question was interesting? I mean their is an Australian scholar who put a false interpretation on the scrolls found. Barbara Thierling some of her views where discredited.

Actually, a couple of Jesus mythicists have passed academic peer review, namely Richard Carrier and Raphael Lataster. Their positions will remain marginal in the world of academia for the foreseeable future and I personally consider the notion of a mythic Jesus untenable, but to say "there is no one who doubts the existence of Jesus // in the academic world" is no longer correct.

The NIV is not a good translation because its translators took it upon themselves to make difficulties in the text disappear through mistranslation. Two examples in the second chapter of Genesis are the pluperfects at 2:8 (had planted) and 2:19 (had formed), which are two points in the narrative that are in tension with the chronology of creation presented in the opening chapter... there is no justification whatsoever for these translation choices because they are verbs in vav consecutive chains, which narrate sequential actions. It is not the job of translators to resolve discrepancies, real or apparent, that is for the reader to be aware of and work through at the level of exegesis.

On a personal, having done post grad work at Colgate Rochester, the home of the social gospel, I learned that if you could make a statement contrary to what the liberal professors believed, it would be accepted as long as it was backed up by evidence. Thus, as an Evangelical, I could do studies on Pheobe Palmer, and earn good grades so long as I maintained academic excellence. Idiots cannot do that. Therefore, the author of the OP, is quite correct about what he has observed.
With all due respect, I add my voice to those critical of the OP because Christians should not be sequestered from and therefore kept ignorant of challenges, be they textual (such as the example I offer above), historical or archaeological. It is precisely the kind of polarized thinking expressed there that breeds the virulent anti-religious sentiments increasingly encountered. You know from your studies that the academic world of religious and biblical studies does not have the hate on for Christianity it is often accused of, it demands only methodological rigor... I studied and now work alongside evangelicals, mainstream Christians, Jews, Mormons and atheists, all of whose views and scholarship were and are respected in the classroom and at conferences.

Kind regards,
Jonathan

Irrelevant. Nothing about the Dead Sea Scrolls or "biblical archeology" proves anything about the religion being true.

Irrelevant. Nothing about the Dead Sea Scrolls or "biblical archeology" proves anything about the religion being true.
How do you or someone with your view know that you have posted a logically valid and true statement?

Back