Catholic meditation on the Passion of Christ - Liguori

This is what James says:

14 What good is it, my brothers and sisters, if you say you have faith but do not have works? Can faith save you? 15 If a brother or sister is naked and lacks daily food, 16 and one of you says to them, “Go in peace; keep warm and eat your fill,” and yet you do not supply their bodily needs, what is the good of that? 17 So faith by itself, if it has no works, is dead.

18 But someone will say, “You have faith and I have works.” Show me your faith apart from your works, and I by my works will show you my faith. 19 You believe that God is one; you do well. Even the demons believe—and shudder. 20 Do you want to be shown, you senseless person, that faith apart from works is barren? 21 Was not our ancestor Abraham justified by works when he offered his son Isaac on the altar? 22 You see that faith was active along with his works, and faith was brought to completion by the works. 23 Thus the scripture was fulfilled that says, “Abraham believed God, and it was reckoned to him as righteousness,” and he was called the friend of God. 24 You see that a person is justified by works and not by faith alone. 25 Likewise, was not Rahab the prostitute also justified by works when she welcomed the messengers and sent them out by another road? 26 For just as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is also dead.

yep. people have faith in a lot of things and people, but those who claim they have faith in Christ as Lord and Savior will be set apart from those others. Many claim to believe in Jesus but they don't believe His words or follow them. They believe in and follow the words of men.

the works of the RCC are not of God. It doesn't teach His word or the truth of salvation. It has 'faith' in itself - a dead faith.

And you are Catholic and must maintain your Catholic stance--musn't you?

Actually, yes, I must. The difference between you and I is that I admit that I approach the Scriptures with certain presuppositions that influence how I read, interpret and understand the Scriptures.

You do the same thing I do--except the admitting part.
Since when is what the Bible says "psychobabble and claptrap"? Ephesians 2:8-9 is "psychobabble" and "claptrap"? How...distressing that you think so.

What the Bible says is God's Word and Truth. It is not psychobabble and claptrap at all.

I have no problem with what the Scriptures teach, properly read, interpreted and understood.

The problem I have is with what YOU and other Protestants are claiming the Scriptures say. It isn't the Bible I have a problem with, it is your teaching that I have a problem with.

And you are a Catholic, so what else can YOU say?

Indeed, what else can I say? Yes; I approach Scripture with the mind of the Church, not my own personal hang-ups, preferences, whims, etc. In other words--I approach Scripture with the collective mind of the Church of which I am a part, only secondarily do I do so as an individual.
I am first and foremost a Christian.

You are first and foremost a Lutheran. If it is Lutheran presuppositions upon which you approach the Scriptures, then you are a Lutheran first.

If you were first and foremost a Christian, why identify as a Lutheran? Why is Lutheran even relevant? And if you are first and foremost a Christian, why do the other sects identify as Baptist, Anglican, Presbyterian, etc? Well, they do so--to separate themselves from the other sects--because they do not all teach the same "Biblical" things, now do they?

Right---you can't answer that--as this isn't the place for that discussion, right? How convenient. Well, just think on it then.
And I am not bringing any "presupposition" when I read the Bible. I have seen many, many Bible verses that clearly teach that we are NOT saved by either works done in righteousness or works of the Law.

Right; because your soteriology--you know----your theology of how redemption works is Lutheran.

I mean--yes--if I believed that we "put on" the righteousness of Christ in a forensic sense, then I guess I would be Lutheran too--and believe that works cannot save. I guess I would read and interpret James and Paul the same way you do.

But Catholicism does not agree with or presuppose Protestant soteriology. For us, the righteousness of Christ is infused into us, such that it is an interior, abiding reality that is truly ours--in an ontological, not just forensic sense.
I have even put down links to where I listed 55 such verses. Ephesians 2:8-9 are only 2 of many such verses. To believe otherwise would be to believe that what Jesus accomplished on the cross wasn't good enough, or complete enough--that Jesus somehow needs us to "do" something to help save ourselves. But if our works could help save us, then that would make us the savior of us, not Jesus--wouldn't it?

See. once again, there is your Lutheran presuppositions shining through as you read Catholic belief and practice---not like a Catholic, but, you guessed it, ..................................a..................................... LUTHERAN!

You see, for Catholics we aren't in competition with Jesus or his work--because for Catholics, it isn't a question of either or, but both and. Because justification means we become part of the body of Christ, our good works are the work of Christ and visa-versa. When God sees our Faith, he sees Christ., When God sees our good works, he sees Christ.

Hence, it isn't a question of adding, substracting, multiplying, dividing, Geometry, Algebra, Calculus, E=MC2 or any math whatso ever.

The question is "Are we joined to Christ as part of his body?" Yes. That being the case, Christ work is our work and our work is Christ work, and that being the case, works are saving. This isn't rocket science, and this isn't the complicated math problem you seem to think it is.

But Jesus cried from the cross, "It is finished!" And one of the meanings of the Greek word for "finished" is "paid in full."

Yes, it is. But here is what you aren't saying: "debt paid" or "paid in full" is not the primary meaning of the word. In fact, when Jesus said "It is finished" what he meant was "It is finished and will forever remain finished." That is the literal rendering of the Greek. It has nothing to do with economics, debts, credit cards, loans, the stock market, taxes, whatever.

What did Jesus finish? His earthy work. "It is finished" simply means that his earthy work is completed. It is not a financial transaction between him and the Father.

Oh--right----Ransom theory of the atonement. That effects how you read "It is finished." And there is an element of truth in the Ransom theory of the atonement. In fact, of the 7 theories, all of them have merits, none of them alone captures the whole mystery of redemption. I would just caution you not to push this theory too far.

Which Jesus most definitely did. He paid fully for not only the guilt of our sins on the cross, but the eternal punishment for them.

Yes, he did. Who said he didn't? Here is the thing you seem to be missing: for Catholics, human works are saving, PRECISELY BECUASE of what Jesus did on the cross, not INSPITE OF what Jesus did on the cross. The cross, redemption, "he paid the price" etc, is the whole reason human works are saving for Catholics.

I dealt with them most adequately. Just because you don't like what I wrote doesn't mean that I what I wrote was "inadequate."

Yes, if you are Lutheran and believe the Lutheran presuppositions your defense of the position was quite well done.

I do not like what you wrote, that is true; but the reason I do not like it, is because I think it is false; not just because I disagree.

Last edited:

Yes, it is. But here is what you aren't saying: "debt paid" or "paid in full" is not the primary meaning of the word. In fact, when Jesus said "It is finished" what he meant was "It is finished and will forever remain finished."
Why then do catholics claim to continue to sacrifice Him at every Mass? Either He finished it or He did not. catholic beliefs say He did not.

otoh, until they are born again their sin debt has not yet been covered by His blood. So catholics just keep on re-sacrificing Him believing that the RCC has a better way than God has.

That is the literal rendering of the Greek. It has nothing to do with economics, debts, credit cards, loans, the stock market, taxes, whatever.

What did Jesus finish? His earthy work. "It is finished" simply means that his earthy work is completed. It is not a financial transaction between him and the Father.
What was His earthly work ?

not all debts involve money. I guess you don't realize that.

This is what James says:

14 What good is it, my brothers and sisters, if you say you have faith but do not have works? Can faith save you? 15 If a brother or sister is naked and lacks daily food, 16 and one of you says to them, “Go in peace; keep warm and eat your fill,” and yet you do not supply their bodily needs, what is the good of that? 17 So faith by itself, if it has no works, is dead.

18 But someone will say, “You have faith and I have works.” Show me your faith apart from your works, and I by my works will show you my faith. 19 You believe that God is one; you do well. Even the demons believe—and shudder. 20 Do you want to be shown, you senseless person, that faith apart from works is barren? 21 Was not our ancestor Abraham justified by works when he offered his son Isaac on the altar? 22 You see that faith was active along with his works, and faith was brought to completion by the works. 23 Thus the scripture was fulfilled that says, “Abraham believed God, and it was reckoned to him as righteousness,” and he was called the friend of God. 24 You see that a person is justified by works and not by faith alone. 25 Likewise, was not Rahab the prostitute also justified by works when she welcomed the messengers and sent them out by another road? 26 For just as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is also dead.

Who has said one does not change. Every person on this earth do works, most do good works. But these mean absolutely nothing without faith. Works do not save. You do not need to tell anyone here what James says. It is only RCs who do not understand James. James is clear. He never says works save at all. He is saying when one is saved they change and they work. We have seen the works of your institution, its fruit stinks to high heaven.

Before faith people do works often without knowing it, they do it for selfish reason. However, after being saved these works are done for God. There is a major difference. I know heaps of unsaved people who do works and are good? people. But that will not save them. They can do good works from morning to morning, it will not save them. Works do not save a person.

Why then do Catholics claim to continue to sacrifice Him at every Mass? Either He finished it or He did not. catholic beliefs say He did not.

Ah, yes, the age old debate between the Nominalists and the moderate realists. The age old debate about the one vs. the many and how many can yet be one and one can yet be many! If there is but one sacrifice of Christ, how can Catholics celebrate Mass? Aren't there many Masses but only one sacrifice of Christ? That must mean----Catholics are re-sacrificing Christ day in and day out.

And the Protestant reformers, God bless them, were heavily influenced by Nominalism. Given that, it is no wonder they see the Catholic Mass as thousands of new sacrifices each day, no wonder they see the Mass as somehow an affront to the Cross. It is no wonder they ask how Christ can be present on thousands of hosts on thousands of altars simultaneously without being divided.

What Christ finished was his earthy work; not the work of redemption. There was more to do after the Cross--you know--resurrect, ascend, send the Holy Spirit and so forth. Then came the preaching and teaching of the Apostles that established communities.
What was His earthly work?

Ushering in the Kingdom of God, establishing the rein of God on earth, going about the work of the Father, preaching, teaching, making God known and visible, founding a Church, healing people, forgiving sin, are all things Christ did in his earthy work. The things listed are not all inclusive.
not all debts involve money. I guess you don't realize that.

And our redemption is not just a transaction whereby a debt is paid. It is far more than that.

Ah, yes, the age old debate between the Nominalists and the moderate realists. The age old debate about the one vs. the many and how many can yet be one and one can yet be many! If there is but one sacrifice of Christ, how can Catholics celebrate Mass? Aren't there many Masses but only one sacrifice of Christ? That must mean----Catholics are re-sacrificing Christ day in and day out.

And the Protestant reformers, God bless them, were heavily influenced by Nominalism. Given that, it is no wonder they see the Catholic Mass as thousands of new sacrifices each day, no wonder they see the Mass as somehow an affront to the Cross. It is no wonder they ask how Christ can be present on thousands of hosts on thousands of altars simultaneously without being divided.

What Christ finished was his earthy work; not the work of redemption. There was more to do after the Cross--you know--resurrect, ascend, send the Holy Spirit and so forth. Then came the preaching and teaching of the Apostles that established communities.

Ushering in the Kingdom of God, establishing the rein of God on earth, going about the work of the Father, preaching, teaching, making God known and visible, founding a Church, healing people, forgiving sin, are all things Christ did in his earthy work. The things listed are not all inclusive.

And our redemption is not just a transaction whereby a debt is paid. It is far more than that.
as usual - unbiblical brush.

The age old non answer of a simple question.

Who has said one does not change. Every person on this earth do works, most do good works. But these mean absolutely nothing without faith. Works do not save. You do not need to tell anyone here what James says. It is only RCs who do not understand James. James is clear. He never says works save at all. He is saying when one is saved they change and they work. We have seen the works of your institution, its fruit stinks to high heaven.

Before faith people do works often without knowing it, they do it for selfish reason. However, after being saved these works are done for God. There is a major difference. I know heaps of unsaved people who do works and are good? people. But that will not save them. They can do good works from morning to morning, it will not save them. Works do not save a person.
Good deeds by themselves cannot save. The Catholic faith agrees.
Lifeless faith alone (per James) cannot save.
So what is left?

I have no problem with what the Scriptures teach, properly read, interpreted and understood.
you don't know what scripture says when properly read, understood and taught. You believe what the RCC teaches.

The problem I have is with what YOU and other Protestants are claiming the Scriptures say. It isn't the Bible I have a problem with, it is your teaching that I have a problem with.
If you mean what believers on here post, then yes, you do have a problem with the truth of scripture.

Indeed, what else can I say? Yes; I approach Scripture with the mind of the Church, not my own personal hang-ups, preferences, whims, etc. In other words--I approach Scripture with the collective mind of the Church of which I am a part, only secondarily do I do so as an individual.
yes, the mind of a false teacher. You've turned your mind (thinking / believing) over to men. God gave us brains to use - to think and process what we hear, read etc.

scripture speaks a lot about believing and following false teachers. pay attention to it. read scripture for yourself - outside the bondage of the RCC.

you don't know what scripture says when properly read, understood and taught. You believe what the RCC teaches.

If you mean what believers on here post, then yes, you do have a problem with the truth of scripture.

yes, the mind of a false teacher. You've turned your mind (thinking / believing) over to men. God gave us brains to use - to think and process what we hear, read etc.

scripture speaks a lot about believing and following false teachers. pay attention to it. read scripture for yourself - outside the bondage of the RCC.
What the poster meant is he/she was no problem with scriptures taught, read and understood with the RCC false interpretations and the false RCC definition of words.

The poster also has a problem with others shining a light on the truth of scriptures which reveal the false teachings of their institution.

Everybody that Christ has saved is saved, that's true. It is even trivially true. But it does not follow that everyone is saved.
Ok, but if Christ decides who He will save without faith or works and who He will not save, then what was the point of the Great Commission?

What the poster meant is he/she was no problem with scriptures taught, read and understood with the RCC false interpretations and the false RCC definition of words.

The poster also has a problem with others shining a light on the truth of scriptures which reveal the false teachings of their institution.
yes, catholics align scripture to the ccc... and think they come out with God's truth.
Ok, but if Christ decides who He will save without faith or works and who He will not save, then what was the point of the Great Commission?
to teach His word - Who He is, the gospel.

What is the great commission?

I think the answer lies in Jewish understanding of their becoming the chosen people. They truly believe that everyone one the world was offered the chance to belief in the one true God but only Abram believed. Jesus came to save the world but He knew that most would not believe. They reject the hand of salvation that is offered.

John 12:44+

And Jesus cried out and said, “Whoever believes in me, believes not in me but in him who sent me. 45 And whoever sees me sees him who sent me. 46 I have come into the world as light, so that whoever believes in me may not remain in darkness. 47 If anyone hears my words and does not keep them, I do not judge him; for I did not come to judge the world but to save the world.

John 3:17
For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

pilgrim said:
God foreknows all that will ever happen. God changes the heart which results in the rebirth.

He has saved us and called us to a holy life—not because of anything we have done but because of his own purpose and grace. (2 Tim. 1:9)

When the Gentiles heard this, they were glad and honored the word of the Lord; and all who were appointed for eternal life believed. (Acts 13:48)

That should answer your question. All who were appointed for eternal life believed, rather than the other way around. He is the Shepherd who calls His sheep home through His apostles and other Gospel workers.

Scripture has to agree with Scripture. Hebrews 11 has to agree with James 2. One must have faith and works to have a living, saving faith faith. One must have faith and works in order to produce the fruit that God seeks.
You STILL did not answer my simple question! Which comes first--faith or works?

Back