How do athiests know if something is true or not?

What do you mean by truth?
What part of the idea behind the word- Truth, do you not understand?

And what do you mean by measure?
What part of the idea behind the word- measure- do you not understand?

Is it like the scientific method where we can measure the boiling point of water at sea level and come to some axiomatic statement or is it something different?
It's a simple concept.
I'm asking you how you know something is true, and how you make the determination that such is true.

What methodical means do you use to work out truth?
I do what I need to do, in order to know whether something is actually true or not.

I'm just trying to figure out the terms we're working with.
It's not a complicated idea.

Ever used a key before to open a door?
The first time you used that key, how did you know that the person who handed you the key was telling you the truth, and the key was actually the correct key for the door they said it worked on?

All of it. Word-Truth is not a thing. Can you define it?
I understand measure just fine.
It's a simple concept.
I'm asking you how you know something is true, and how you make the determination that such is true.
By testing it with empirical evidence. I know of no other way to prove the moon is real or how Jupiter orbits the sun or the nature of the Atom. I know of no other way to prove that Jesus rose from the dead or that the god Horus healed the sick with his hands.
I do what I need to do, in order to know whether something is actually true or not.
OK.

The first time you used that key, how did you know that the person who handed you the key was telling you the truth, and the key was actually the correct key for the door they said it worked on?
I have no idea what this means. However, I bet to build the key, the lock, and the door you used empirical evidence. I do not know of any faith based lock systems.

It's a simple concept.

To say there are no absolutes is an absolute.

I don't understand what you mean by truth. Maybe you mean empirical evidence, maybe eye witness testimony, maybe divine revelation, maybe anything Buddha has spoken, or anything Jesus has spoken, or reality as I observe it, or reality as God observes it, who knows what anyone means when they say truth.
That's a scientific word that uses instrumentation to compare an object to another object. But maybe you're talking about historical accounts, which have no way to measure them.
It's a simple concept.
Well, like you, I guess I do what I need to do, in order to know whether something is actually true or not.

When I tried the key for the first time and it opened the door for me, was the first time I truly knew if the key worked in that door.

I don't understand what you mean by truth. Maybe you mean empirical evidence, maybe eye witness testimony, maybe divine revelation, maybe anything Buddha has spoken, or anything Jesus has spoken, or reality as I observe it, or reality as God observes it, who knows what anyone means when they say truth.
It's not that difficult an idea.

Truth is when words and actions match.
Jesus said that he is truth.
His life and his teachings match.
If they did not, he could not be truth.

That's a scientific word that uses instrumentation to compare an object to another object. But maybe you're talking about historical accounts, which have no way to measure them.

It's actually an everyday term, used in dozens of different ways and applications.
Measuring devices for preparation of foodstuffs.
in various beverages
In automotive repairs, filling the gas tank,
in drinking water.
in buildingconstruction
in electronic technology
in house electricity.
I can go on for a while here.

Well, like you, I guess I do what I need to do, in order to know whether something is actually true or not.
Good, how do you know if something is true or not?
How do you make the determination of whether or not it is true?

When I tried the key for the first time and it opened the door for me, was the first time I truly knew if the key worked in that door.
Ok.
So, when taking that idea to the of religious claims, philosophical claims, how do you make the determination if the claim is true or not?

Truth is something that was the true in the past, present, and future. All else are facts that have limited lifespans.

For example... real love from God is truth. And, will always be love.

What is a religion?

religion (noun)
1. A set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.

A long discussed idea, which has never actually been reasonably developed by atheists.

By what means do you measure truth?

Is it something you "just know"? Or do you have a methodical means to work it out and come to the conclusion that it's actually true?
This question puts on display the profound ignorance of the methodologies for belief in atheism.

We are atheists because we wanted to know about the truth of the lack of God and we simply asked the lack of God whether it was true or not. So we first had to have enough faith that a lack of God existed to sit down and sincerely ask whether that lack of God was true or not, and for the last 45 years I have been experiencing that lack of God with such profound surety that I know that the only way to show you that the lack of God exists is for you to do the work and sincerely ask for yourself.

When that happens, you only become open to the grace of the lack of God's existence. Even then you cannot yourself come to the knowledge of the lack of God. It's not an intellectual endeavor. You can come the it. It is an internal personal experience that comes to you. The lack of the existence of God must choose you by its grace to reveal itself - and it absolutely will. If you ask sincerely you are then chosen and you will be visited by the conviction of the lack of God's holy ghost. Then you will be seated with the surety of the lack of God that I have experienced for myself going on 45+ years. But you have to do the work.

Your call, your life....

Naw.... that's stupid.... never mind.

Last edited:
Truth is something that was the true in the past, present, and future. All else are facts that have limited lifespans.
Nope.

the quality or state of being true.
"he had to accept the truth of her accusation"

that which is true or in accordance with fact or reality.
noun: the truth
"tell me the truth"

a fact or belief that is accepted as true.
plural noun: truths
"the emergence of scientific truths"​

Dictionaries exist for a reason, and it's not to allow struggling religious apologists to make up definitions on a whim.

It's any set of beliefs that revolve around and include the worship of or devotion to a deity.
Religion is a servant - slave relationship to a master. One that tells the slave what to do. Nothing transformational takes place other than conformity to the masters rules and regulations.

Back