Favorite TV shows theme music....

Bonnie

For my money, the best were in some westerns in the 50's. The following are 3 of my favorites:

(132) Rawhide Opening and Closing Credits and Theme Song - YouTube

The opening and closing songs are different, so be sure to listen to both. The song was written by Academy-award winning songwriters, so no wonder it is so good!

The next is my second favorite....and John Russell, the older dude on the left, is easy on the eyes, too!

(132) LAWMAN TV THEME - YouTube

Once again, this theme was written by Academy Award-winning songwriters.

My third favorite is in the next post.

Warner Brothers went into the TV business and had a lot of TV hits. Lawman was one of them. Maverick was another. It had a catchy theme song too, and so did others in the WB stables--Cheyenne, Bronco, and Sugarfoot.

Another good one was from the TV show WYATT EARP.

Next, I will post some non-western theme music.

Hawaiian Eye was a fun show in the early 60's and had a nice theme music, though not in the same class as Rawhide. I think it was from the WB stable. Two other shows with nice theme songs were Route 66 and 77 Sunset Strip. Both WB shows.

But for a more modern theme song, look no farther than the theme from Barretta from the mid 70's. The late, great Sammy Davis Jr. sang the theme song. Who else could sing it as well? :)

(132) Sammy Davis Jr - Baretta's Theme (Keep Your Eye On The Sparrow) - YouTube

He also sang the theme song to the show Chico and the Man. The star of that show had a short, tragic life, unfortunately.

Does anyone else have any favorite TV theme music?

Hawaiian Eye was a fun show in the early 60's and had a nice theme music, though not in the same class as Rawhide. I think it was from the WB stable. Two other shows with nice theme songs were Route 66 and 77 Sunset Strip. Both WB shows.

But for a more modern theme song, look no farther than the theme from Barretta from the mid 70's. The late, great Sammy Davis Jr. sang the theme song. Who else could sing it as well? :)

He also sang the theme song to the show Chico and the Man. The star of that show had a short, tragic life, unfortunately.

I find the use of morse code in the theme for Inspector Morse clever. I am not really into music.

Some of my favorites include

Gilligan's Island
The Beverly Hillbillies
The Brady Bunch
The Jeffersons
The Partridge Family
Petticoat Junction

Some of my favorites include

Gilligan's Island
The Beverly Hillbillies
The Brady Bunch
The Jeffersons
The Partridge Family
Petticoat Junction
Why are they your favorites? The Gilligan's Island one is rather catchy, though.

I have a book I bought about 25 years ago, that is called TV's Greatest Hits. It follows the evolution of music on TV shows, from the 50's onward until the book was published. It was an interesting read, if you are into that sort of thing. I am. :)

Why are they your favorites? The Gilligan's Island one is rather catchy, though.

I have a book I bought about 25 years ago, that is called TV's Greatest Hits. It follows the evolution of music on TV shows, from the 50's onward until the book was published. It was an interesting read, if you are into that sort of thing. I am. :)
I watched those TV shows quite a bit when I was growing up and those theme songs are catchy to me.

I liked watching this TV show when I was a kid and I liked the theme song, but did not realize at that time this TV show and theme song had connotations in it about marijuana! :oops: I did not figure that out until I got older.

The late, great Sammy Davis Jr. sang the theme song. Who else could sing it as well? :)

I was sure Jose Feliciano sang that one. Did they have two versions of the opening theme?

Btw, you know you only liked Rawhide because you had a crush on Rowdy Yates.... ;)

Let's see...
When "A-Team" came out, I bought the sheet music.
I used to have theme from "St. Elsewhere" as my ringtone.

Airwolf was really cool.
Knight Rider
Barney Miller
Dallas (I loved the French Horn part)

I was sure Jose Feliciano sang that one. Did they have two versions of the opening theme?

Btw, you know you only liked Rawhide because you had a crush on Rowdy Yates.... ;)

Let's see...

Airwolf was really cool.
Knight Rider
Barney Miller
As a kid of of the 80s I can appreciate "The A Team" and "Knight Rider" in your list, both great themes songs... along with the short-lived "V" series these were my favorite night-time TV shows of the mid-80s --- in terms of music, however, the haunting intro to the three-part mini series "V: The Final Battle" was way better than the one that accompanied the series that followed it.

All the other TV themes that immediately come to mind are shows from the 80s or reruns from the 70s that I watched during the 80s, which speaks to these years as formative ones in terms of musical cues and memories... all of these themes still move me to this day. Five to supplement the one above and match your six are as follows:

Grizzly Adams
The Waltons
Growing Pains
The Wonder Years
The Partridge Family

When the horn breaks in during "The Waltons" intro, it gets me every time. I suspect "The Wonder Years" was very nostalgic for those who were my age then during the late 60s... and the photos from various ages for the family members that accompany the theme in "Growing Pains" add depth to an already stirring song. That of "The Partridge Family" is catchy, but my favorite for sure is Thom Pace's "Maybe" from "Grizzly Adams" which I link to in its entirety... a very sad but beautiful song.

Kind regards,
Jonathan

Last edited:
As a kid of of the 80s I can appreciate "The A Team" and "Knight Rider" in your list, both great themes songs... along with the short-lived "V" series these were my favorite night-time TV shows of the mid-80s --- in terms of music, however, the haunting intro to the three-part mini series "V: The Final Battle" was way better than the one that accompanied the series that followed it.

I made sure I was always home in time to watch each episode of "V", and had quite the crush on Faye Grant. I eventually bought the DVD's.

I made sure I was always home in time to watch each episode of "V", and had quite the crush on Faye Grant.
:D

I eventually bought the DVD's.
Yah, me too... I have the original mini series, the Final Battle, TV series and even topped it off with the disappointing reboot attempt from the late 2000s just for the sake of completeness! The brief cameos by Jane Badler and Marc Singer were memorable... little else.

Kind regards,
Jonathan

Let's see...

Airwolf was really cool.
Knight Rider
Barney Miller
You are probably correct. I am thinking of when Sammy Davis sang "Chico and the Man" on Johnny Carson once. My husband and I watched that show when he did that.

Oh, Airwolf had good theme music, too. My husband especially liked that one.

Back