Lutheran doctrine contradicts Lutheran doctrine (i.e. Exodus 12 – Passover Instituted)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are incorrect. My synod has no doctrine about what time of day the Paschal lamb was slaughtered before the last supper. It is not a salvific belief in the least, since that us under the old covenant and we are in the new and better covenant in the blood of Jesus Christ.
What is really amusing is tthat there was no objection or dispute regarding the scriptural witness in this regard among the Apostles and eye witnesses. Yet the poster wants to go beyond that scriptural and historical witness and object and attempt to invent a dispute in the name of "Christian" harmony

What is really amusing is tthat there was no objection or dispute regarding the scriptural witness in this regard among the Apostles and eye witnesses. Yet the poster wants to go beyond that scriptural and historical witness and object and attempt to invent a dispute in the name of "Christian" harmony
Ironic, isn't it? Instead of creating harmony, discord is being sown!

Paul tells us how we can be saved, from Romans 10:

“The word is near you; it is in your mouth and in your heart,” that is, the message concerning faith that we proclaim: 9 If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved.

I don't see anything in here about believing the Paschal lamb was slaughtered at a certain time being necessary for salvation....do you?

Last edited:
Ironic, isn't it? Instead of creating harmony, instead, discord is being sown!

Paul tells us how we can be saved, from Romans 10:

I don't see anything in here about believing the Paschal lamb was slaughtered at a certain time being necessary for salvation....do you?
Right. ?

Your post rhas reminded me of a very old discussion on the board about shadows. A shadow can signal the coming of a loved one, but when the loved one arrives no one falls to the ground to try and embrace the shadow rather than embrace the loved one.

Right. ?

Your post rhas reminded me of a very old discussion on the board about shadows. A shadow can signal the coming of a loved one, but when the loved one arrives no one falls to the ground to try and embrace the shadow rather than embrace the loved one.
Good analogy! Why embrace a mere shadow, when one can embrace the REAL thing?

The Scriptural witness was made perfectly clear to those with eyes to see. (i.e. Ephesians 5:11-13)

1st) tier of Authority - Scripture's authority

(Matthew 19:17-19) – (i.e. … You shall not bear false witness …)
(John 4:22-24) – (i.e. … must worship in spirit and truth)
(1 John 2:21) – (i.e. … no lie is of the truth)
(Colossians 3:8-10) – (i.e. … Do not lie to one another …)

The Apostles and eye witnesses to Jesus' Crucifixion (i.e. day of Christ's most holy passion), did not create the Good Friday pagan worship ritual "on earth"! It was the pagan Constantinian faithful who imposed their will into the life of the early Church, shortly after the first Counsel of Nicaea A.D. 325.

In fact, it was the Wartburg Project, and its group of translators consisting of pastors, professors, and teachers from the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod (WELS) and Evangelical Lutheran Synod (ELS) that have gone beyond the Scriptural and historical witness. (i.e. adding to Holy Scripture)

[Official Doctrinal Statements of the Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod - Years: 1847-1998

(i.e. Doctrine correction 1926 11, 144 Every member of Synod has a responsibility to insist on the correction of doctrinally erroneous statements printed in official publications))]

Specifically,

Deuteronomy 4:2 NKJV
2 You shall not add to the word which I command you, nor take from it, that you may keep the commandments of the Lord your God which I command you.

Deuteronomy 12:32 NKJV
32 “Whatever I command you, be careful to observe it; you shall not add to it nor take away from it.`

Exodus 12:6 The Luther Bible 1912 is in the public domain.
6 und sollt's behalten bis auf den vierzehnten Tag des Monats. Und ein jegliches Häuflein im ganzen Israel soll's schlachten gegen Abend.

6 and you shall keep it until the fourteenth day of the month. And every little band in all Israel shall be slaughtered towards evening.

Exodus 12:6 The Kretzmann Project. The Popular Commentary is in the public domain.

V.6. And ye shall keep it until the fourteenth day of the same month, separated from the rest of the flock, in order to keep it from contamination and infection; and the whole assembly of the congregation of Israel, all the housefathers as household priests and representatives of the children of Israel, shall kill it in the evening, literally, “between the two evenings,” at twilight. Custom later fixed the time at between three in the afternoon and sundown.

Exodus 12:6 Evangelical Heritage Version (EHV) The Holy Bible, Evangelical Heritage Version®, EHV®, © 2019 Wartburg Project, Inc. All rights reserved.

6 You are to keep it until the fourteenth day of this month. Then the whole assembly of the Israelite community is to slaughter the lambs at sunset.[a]

[a] Literally between the evenings, very likely between sunset and darkness

The Evangelical Heritage Version (EHV 2019), is the only English translation that directly replaces the Hebrew text ("beyn ha'arbayim" - first mention Exodus 12:6), with the English translation "at sunset". In other words, the most likely English meaning ("beyn ha'arbayim" - first mention Exodus 12:6) is "at sunset", and "between the evenings" received a close second place, with a very likely English meaning of between sunset and darkness.

Repent!

Truth matters! Abide in the "doctrine of Christ"! (i.e. 2 John 9)

In Christ's service,
David Behrens
Soli Deo Gloria!
Bringing Christian harmony to all the world

The Scriptural witness was made perfectly clear to those with eyes to see. (i.e. Ephesians 5:11-13)
Nothing which followed this opening statement is evidence that were was a dispute among the Apostles and eye witnesses regarding the scriptural witness on this topic. The post to which you replied stands.

The Apostles and eye witnesses to Jesus' Crucifixion (i.e. day of Christ's most holy passion), did not create the Good Friday pagan worship ritual "on earth"! It was the pagan Constantinian faithful who imposed their will into the life of the early Church, shortly after the first Counsel of Nicaea A.D. 325.

In fact, it was the Wartburg Project, and its group of translators consisting of pastors, professors, and teachers from the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod (WELS) and Evangelical Lutheran Synod (ELS) that have gone beyond the Scriptural and historical witness. (i.e. adding to Holy Scripture)

[Official Doctrinal Statements of the Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod - Years: 1847-1998

(i.e. Doctrine correction 1926 11, 144 Every member of Synod has a responsibility to insist on the correction of doctrinally erroneous statements printed in official publications))]

Specifically,

2 You shall not add to the word which I command you, nor take from it, that you may keep the commandments of the Lord your God which I command you.

32 “Whatever I command you, be careful to observe it; you shall not add to it nor take away from it.`

6 und sollt's behalten bis auf den vierzehnten Tag des Monats. Und ein jegliches Häuflein im ganzen Israel soll's schlachten gegen Abend.

6 and you shall keep it until the fourteenth day of the month. And every little band in all Israel shall be slaughtered towards evening.

Exodus 12:6 The Kretzmann Project. The Popular Commentary is in the public domain.

V.6. And ye shall keep it until the fourteenth day of the same month, separated from the rest of the flock, in order to keep it from contamination and infection; and the whole assembly of the congregation of Israel, all the housefathers as household priests and representatives of the children of Israel, shall kill it in the evening, literally, “between the two evenings,” at twilight. Custom later fixed the time at between three in the afternoon and sundown.

Exodus 12:6 Evangelical Heritage Version (EHV) The Holy Bible, Evangelical Heritage Version®, EHV®, © 2019 Wartburg Project, Inc. All rights reserved.

6 You are to keep it until the fourteenth day of this month. Then the whole assembly of the Israelite community is to slaughter the lambs at sunset.[a]

The Evangelical Heritage Version (EHV 2019), is the only English translation that directly replaces the Hebrew text ("beyn ha'arbayim" - first mention Exodus 12:6), with the English translation "at sunset". In other words, the most likely English meaning ("beyn ha'arbayim" - first mention Exodus 12:6) is "at sunset", and "between the evenings" received a close second place, with a very likely English meaning of between sunset and darkness.

Repent!

How is beyn ha’arbayim translated into English? (Evangelical Heritage Version (EHV))
  • “at sunset” Ex.12:6 – first mention – Lit. between the evenings, very likely between sunset and darkness
  • “at evening” Ex.16:12 – second mention
  • “at twilight” Ex.29:39 – third mention – Lit. between the evenings
  • “at twilight” Ex. 29:41 – fourth mention
  • “at twilight” Ex.30:8 – fifth mention
  • “at twilight” Lev.23:5 – sixth mention
  • “at twilight” Num.9:3 – seventh mention- Lit. between the evenings
  • “at twilight” Num.9:5 – eighth mention
  • “at twilight” Num.9:11 – ninth mention
  • “at twilight” Num.28:4 – tenth mention
  • “at twilight” Num.28:8 – eleventh mention

How is beyn ha’arbayim translated into English? (New King James Version (NKJV)
  • “at twilight” Ex.12:6 – first mention
  • “at twilight” Ex.16:12 – second mention
  • “at twilight” Ex.29:39 – third mention – Lit. between the two evenings
  • “at twilight” Ex. 29:41 – fourth mention – Lit. between the two evenings
  • “at twilight” Ex.30:8 – fifth mention – Lit. between the two evenings
  • “in the evening” Num.28:4 – tenth mention
  • “in the evening” Num.28:8 – eleventh mention

It was the Wartburg Project, and its group of translators consisting of pastors, professors, and teachers from the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod (WELS) and Evangelical Lutheran Synod (ELS) that have gone beyond the Scriptural and historical witness, when they replaced the English translation of "at twilight" in Exodus 12:6, with the English translation of "at sunset". I believe that this error implemented into the English translation of the Evangelical Heritage Version (EHV) is a "MAJOR" attempt to rewrite the historical record of the LORD's commands to Moses and the congregation of Israel. (i.e. first mention "beyn ha'arbayim - "between the evenings" - "at twilight"). Therefore, the Evangelical Heritage Version (EHV) of the Holy Bible must be recalled and corrected. Believers in Jesus Christ "on earth" will not allow the Holy Scriptures to be changed "on earth". (i.e. Deuteronomy 4:2; Deuteronomy 12:32)

(EHV 2019) vs. World wide pandemic (COVID-19) - A direct correlation (i.e. Galatians 6:7)

In Christ's service,
David Behrens
Soli Deo Gloria!

Last edited:
How is beyn ha’arbayim translated into English? (Evangelical Heritage Version (EHV))
  • “at sunset” Ex.12:6 – first mention – Lit. between the evenings, very likely between sunset and darkness
  • “at evening” Ex.16:12 – second mention
  • “at twilight” Ex.29:39 – third mention – Lit. between the evenings
  • “at twilight” Ex. 29:41 – fourth mention
  • “at twilight” Ex.30:8 – fifth mention
  • “at twilight” Num.28:4 – tenth mention
  • “at twilight” Num.28:8 – eleventh mention

How is beyn ha’arbayim translated into English? (New King James Version (NKJV)
  • “at twilight” Ex.12:6 – first mention
  • “at twilight” Ex.16:12 – second mention
  • “at twilight” Ex.29:39 – third mention – Lit. between the two evenings
  • “at twilight” Ex. 29:41 – fourth mention – Lit. between the two evenings
  • “at twilight” Ex.30:8 – fifth mention – Lit. between the two evenings
  • “in the evening” Num.28:4 – tenth mention
  • “in the evening” Num.28:8 – eleventh mention

It was the Wartburg Project, and its group of translators consisting of pastors, professors, and teachers from the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod (WELS) and Evangelical Lutheran Synod (ELS) that have gone beyond the Scriptural and historical witness, when they replaced the English translation of "at twilight" in Exodus 12:6, with the English translation of "at sunset". I believe that this error implemented into the English translation of the Evangelical Heritage Version (EHV) is a "MAJOR" attempt to rewrite the historical record of the LORD's commands to Moses and the congregation of Israel. (i.e. first mention "beyn ha'arbayim - "between the evenings" - "at twilight"). Therefore, the Evangelical Heritage Version (EHV) of the Holy Bible must be recalled and corrected. Believers in Jesus Christ "on earth" will not allow the Holy Scriptures to be changed "on earth". (i.e. Deuteronomy 4:2; Deuteronomy 12:32)

(EHV 2019) vs. World wide pandemic (COVID-19) - A direct correlation (i.e. Galatians 6:7)

In Christ's service,
David Behrens
Soli Deo Gloria!
Show us FROM THE BIBLE where our eternal salvation depends upon believing the right time of day the paschal lamb was slaughtered for the Passover meal....show us, Dave.

I am sorry, but I fail to see whatever point you are attempting to make. We conservative Lutherans all believe the Scriptures....so not sure what your beef is.
Exactly. What is one's beef with the "whole" of Holy Scripture "on earth"? (i.e. Genesis 1:1 - Revelation 22:21)

In Christ’s service,
David Behrens
Soli Deo gloria!

Show us FROM THE BIBLE where our eternal salvation depends upon believing the right time of day the paschal lamb was slaughtered for the Passover meal....show us, Dave.

Why has one digressed from the premise of the original post?

Why does one believe that the Holy Scriptures can be added to by the Evangelical Heritage Version (EHV) of the Holy Bible? (i.e. Exodus 12:6 - "at sunset" replacing "at twilight") How liberal is that?

In Christ’s service,
David Behrens
Soli Deo gloria!

Specifically,

Repent!

In Christ's service,
David Behrens
Soli Deo Gloria!
Seriously? Every post has been divisive in this thread.

Exactly. What is one's beef with the "whole" of Holy Scripture "on earth"? (i.e. Genesis 1:1 - Revelation 22:21)

In Christ’s service,
David Behrens
Soli Deo gloria!
You didn't answer my question/questions: where does the Bible say that in order to be saved, we MUST believe the paschal lamb was sacrificed at a certain time? Where does it say that those in the new and better covenant in the blood of Jesus Christ are still under the old Mosaic law?

Why does one believe that the Holy Scriptures can be added to by the Evangelical Heritage Version (EHV) of the Holy Bible? (i.e. Exodus 12:6 - "at sunset" replacing "at twilight") How liberal is that?

In Christ’s service,
David Behrens
Soli Deo gloria!
Except my church has NO doctrinal statement as to the time of day the paschal lamb Jesus and His disciples ate was slaughtered.

Except my church has NO doctrinal statement as to the time of day the paschal lamb Jesus and His disciples ate was slaughtered.

Yes, so what? One has stated this before.

The LCMS also has NO official doctrinal statement as to the day of the week that Christ, our Passover was slain. Yet, the LCMS leadership, within the Christian seminaries and within the Christian universities, continues to practice/teach "on earth" what the Constantinian faithful practice/teach "on earth". (i.e. a pagan worship "ritual" "on earth" - not "according to the Scriptures" (i.e. John 4:24))

In Christ’s service,
David Behrens
Soli Deo gloria!

Yes, so what? One has stated this before.

The LCMS also has NO official doctrinal statement as to the day of the week that Christ, our Passover was slain. Yet, the LCMS leadership, within the Christian seminaries and within the Christian universities, continues to practice/teach "on earth" what the Constantinian faithful practice/teach "on earth". (i.e. a pagan worship "ritual" "on earth" - not "according to the Scriptures" (i.e. John 4:24))

In Christ’s service,
David Behrens
Soli Deo gloria!
Actually, we do teach Jesus died on Good Friday.

But you failed to answer my question: where does the Bible say believing the true time of day the Paschal lamb was slaughtered is necessary for salvation?

Seriously? Every post has been divisive in this thread.

Seriously? One believes strongly in the fifth commandment, yet on the other hand, one could care less about the eighth commandment. (i.e. Evangelical Heritage Version (EHV 2019) - "specifically" Exodus12:6 - i.e. rewriting the historical record - i.e. adding to Holy Scripture) How liberal is that? (i.e. "full" of hypocrisy!)

One in Jesus' day with that same opinion on unity, would have possibly said to Jesus after his teaching (i.e. Matthew 15:7-9; Matthew 23), "Hey Jesus, leave those fine religious servants alone, what did they ever do to you? Jesus, I believe that they can worship (i.e. practice/teach) anyway that they want to, do anything in the name of Christ "on earth" that they want. Why are you picking on them, and being so divisive? Jesus, please be more loving to the religious leadership in the future. I know what I'm talking about Jesus, listen to ME, MY firm liberal beliefs are widely accepted by many."

That person would be seriously mistaken to speak to Jesus, the Messiah (Matthew 16:16) in that manner. (i.e. Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever. (Hebrews 13:8))

The question is, is one abiding in the "doctrine of Christ" "on earth" today, or is one abiding outside of the "doctrine of Christ" "on earth" today? (i.e. 2 John 9)

Those outside of the "doctrine of Christ" "on earth" today are the problem! Good riddance!

In Christ’s service,
David Behrens
Soli Deo gloria!

Actually, we do teach Jesus died on Good Friday.

But you failed to answer my question: where does the Bible say believing the true time of day the Paschal lamb was slaughtered is necessary for salvation?

Actually they don't, not officially. One is sadly mistaken again! The pdf is no longer available online, as the officials have taken it down. However, many computers have this on their hard drives as a backup, and will be used as proof, if/when necessary.

1631290628621.png

In Christ’s service,
David Behrens
Soli Deo gloria!

Actually they don't, not officially. One is sadly mistaken again! The pdf is no longer available online, as the officials have taken it down. However, many computers have this on their hard drives as a backup, and will be used as proof, if/when necessary.

View attachment 1822

In Christ’s service,
David Behrens
Soli Deo gloria!
Okay. But we believe and teach this:

QUESTION: How does the Church arrive at a Friday crucifixion if our Lord plainly said he would descend for three days and three nights? Assuming that Jesus arose on the first day (sometime after the Sabbath but before dawn) and counting backwards I count a Wednesday crucifixion.

ANSWER: In the entry under Chronology in the Dictionary of Jesus and the Gospels (Intervarsity, 1992), H.W. Hoehner offers a helpful summary of the chronology of Passion Week. He says:

“Traditionally, Jesus is thought to have died on the Friday of Passion Week.” On the basis of Matthew 12:40, he says, “some conclude Jesus could not have died on Friday; Jesus may have died on Wednesday or Thursday, thus allowing for three days and three nights.

“However, when one recognizes that the Jews reckoned a part of a day as a whole day, Jesus’ death on Friday does not present a real problem.

“Furthermore, the New Testament repeatedly refers to Jesus’ resurrection as having occurred on the third day (not the fourth day; e.g., Matt. 16:21; 17:23; Luke 9:22; 18:33; Acts 10:40; 1 Cor. 15:4).

“Moreover, the Gospels specifically mention the day before the Sabbath (Friday) as the day of his death (Matt. 27:62; Mark. 15:42; Luke 23:54; John 19:14, 31, 42). Therefore, both scripturally and traditionally, it seems best to accept Friday as the day of Jesus’ death.”

From Frequently Asked Questions on lcms.org. So we do indeed teach this. Does your hard drive have those doctrinal statements on it? It's probably the same or similar as to what is in the link I provided below.

So,is the time of day the Paschal Lamb was slaughtered listed as doctrine in your link? Do you see it here?

But then, if you say this is not doctrine, then neither is the time of say the Paschal lamb was killed prior to the Last Supper. Do show me from the Bible where believing a certain time of day is necessary for salvation.

Last edited:
The premise of the original post has been shown to be without scriptural and historical merit.
That is a misguided assertion because it doesn't reflect what occurs in translation and it ignores the footnote in the EHV.

There is not a one to one correspondence between languages. A necessary consequence of translating from a source language to a target language is going to be the use of more or less words when appropriate.

Also, here is the footnote from biblegateway, "Literally between the evenings, very likely between sunset and darkness" https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Ex+12&version=EHV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back