Robert E Lee statue removed from Monument Avenue in Richmond VA

Ok so firstly you have no place in your heart for honouring forgiveness and reconciliation?
And secondly is there anyone you know who is perfect where no one would gave any objections?
When a person's main claim to fame is leadership in a war against the USA, that person does not deserve the honor of a statue in a public place.

We might forgive a contrite murderer, but that person still needs to serve time in prison. Forgiveness does not erase the crime.

When a person's main claim to fame is leadership in a war against the USA, that person does not deserve the honor of a statue in a public place.

We might forgive a contrite murderer, but that person still needs to serve time in prison. Forgiveness does not erase the crime.
What is Joseph Johnstone's main claim to fame? For me, forgiveness and reconciliation is paramount.
What exactly do you mean by contrite? Doesn't forgiveness and reconciliation require a contrite heart?

What is Joseph Johnstone's main claim to fame? For me, forgiveness and reconciliation is paramount.
What exactly do you mean by contrite? Doesn't forgiveness and reconciliation require a contrite heart?
He was a Confederate army general. This is the reason he has an entry in wikipedia.

That he later became friendly with some Union generals is irrelevant.

He was a Confederate army general. This is the reason he has an entry in wikipedia.
Thats true, but have any of us never done anything wrong?

That he later became friendly with some Union generals is irrelevant.
crucial for people whose hearts are filled with compassion rather than woke hate. He was so grateful he refused to wear a hat at the funeral and stood there in the bad weather. Have you ever made any sacrifice for someone, or only for someone you dont consider a bad person?

Ok so firstly you have no place in your heart for honouring forgiveness and reconciliation?
Yes, I do. That does not equate to putting up statues in tribute to traitors.
And secondly is there anyone you know who is perfect where no one would gave any objections?
There is nobody I know who is perfect. There is nobody I know who is a traitor to their country.

Thats true, but have any of us never done anything wrong?

crucial for people whose hearts are filled with compassion rather than woke hate. He was so grateful he refused to wear a hat at the funeral and stood there in the bad weather. Have you ever made any sacrifice for someone, or only for someone you dont consider a bad person?
There are levels of wrongdoing. Cheating on your taxes, going over the speed limit, perjury are all wrong, but not remotely as wrong as leading an army against the USA in an effort to protect slavery.

Taking off your hat at your former opponent's funeral is a nice gesture but does not compensate for leading an army against the USA to protect slavery, and it certainly does not justify the honor of having a statue in a public place.

We do not put up statues to random people who might have done something nice on occasion.

There are levels of wrongdoing. Cheating on your taxes, going over the speed limit, perjury are all wrong, but not remotely as wrong as leading an army against the USA in an effort to protect slavery.

Taking off your hat at your former opponent's funeral is a nice gesture but does not compensate for leading an army against the USA to protect slavery, and it certainly does not justify the honor of having a statue in a public place.

We do not put up statues to random people who might have done something nice on occasion.
Providing of course the morals are decided by you? But your reponse seems to have made the sin greater than the forgiveness.
Personally I.wouldnt put up a statue for anyone.

Providing of course the morals are decided by you? But your reponse seems to have made the sin greater than the forgiveness.
Personally I.wouldnt put up a statue for anyone.
The families of the victims of Dylan Roof have forgiven him. Does that mean he should not go to prison? Yes his sin was greater than all that forgiveness.

When the sins are against humans, humans do indeed decide the morality of the response to those sins.

Yes, in Lee's case, the sin was far greater than the forgiveness.

When the sins are against humans,
Depends what you mean by sins. Are you saying animals are slaves as well, if so the Union was also guilty

humans do indeed decide the morality of the response to those sins.
but many confederates who did the fighting
didnt own slaves, and the confederates who did were also humans. So I suspect you are claiming the moral ground because you have decided it. Not that I don't agree with you because Jesus NT teaching is against being slaves of men or sin.

Yes, in Lee's case, the sin was far greater than the forgiveness.
But you see in the case of Johnstone it seems that the forgiveness is freedom from the hatred. In the same way when the Charleston church shooting occurred on June 17, 2015, those in the congregation who had lost family and loved ones publicly forgave the shooter, yet the media reaction was to ban confederate flags. It takes a great deal to forgive but banning confederate flags hasnt been much of a success and hasnt made much difference.

Back