Free Will Meticulously Examined… and Refuted!

I'm not a heretic. Did you intend your implication?

I never called you a heretic.
If you take on that identify for yourself, that's on you.

Even as you seek to dismiss "implication", you use it yourself. This is called being "hypocritical".

I respectfully disagree.
"Free will" is NOWHERE "implied" in your verse.

I'm not assuming anything. I know what the words mean. I believe what those words mean.

Show me the words, "free will" then.
I can show you the word "heretics" in my post.

You can have both OBLIGATION and ABILITY impiled. Which is what you find here.

I see... So I'm supposed to blindly believe free will is "implied", because YOU CLAIM it is.
Sorry, not convinced.

You find the ease of "ABILITY" later in the verse....

"though he be not far from every one of us".

Where does that imply "ability"?
Freedom is "close" to lions in the zoo.
Does that mean they have the "ability" to free themselves?
Of course not.

Chapter and verse

Philemon 1:14
(ARV 2005) but without thy mind I would do nothing, that thy goodness should not be as of necessity, but of free will.
(ASV-2014) but without thy mind I would do nothing; that thy goodness should not be as of necessity, but of free will.
(Anderson) but, without your consent, I was not willing to do any thing, that your good deed might not be as a matter of necessity, but one of free-will.
(ASV) but without thy mind I would do nothing; that thy goodness should not be as of necessity, but of free will.
(FAA) but I did not want to do anything without your opinion, so that your good deed would not be as it were under compulsion, but of free will.
(GDBY_NT) but without your consent I did not wish to do anything; in order that your good might not be by constraint, but by the free will:
(GW) Yet, I didn't want to do anything without your consent. I want you to do this favor for me out of your own free will without feeling forced to do it.
(csb) But I didn't want to do anything without your consent, so that your good deed might not be out of obligation, but of your own free will.
(LEB) But apart from your consent, I wanted to do nothing, in order that your good deed might be not as according to necessity, but according to your own free will.
(MRC) but without your consent I did not want to do anything, that your goodness might not be by necessity, but of your own free will.
(MNT) But without your consent I was unwilling to do anything, so that your kindness to me might be of your own free will, and not of compulsion.
(NTVR) but without thy mind I would do nothing; that thy goodness should not be as of necessity, but of free will.
(Revised Standard ) but I preferred to do nothing without your consent in order that your goodness might not be by compulsion but of your own free will.
(RNT) but without your consent I am unwilling to do anything, so that your goodness may not be of necessity but of free will.
(RSV-CE) but I preferred to do nothing without your consent in order that your goodness might not be by compulsion but of your own free will.
(TLV) But I didn’t want to do anything without your consent, so that your goodness wouldn’t be by force but by free will.
(WEB) But I was willing to do nothing without your consent, that your goodness would not be as of necessity, but of free will.
(WEB (R)) But I was willing to do nothing without your consent, that your goodness would not be as of necessity, but of free will.
(Wuest's) Georgia;;14-16 But I came to a decision in my heart to do nothing without your consent, in order that your goodness might not be as it were by compulsion but of your own free will. For perhaps on this account he was parted for a brief time in order that you might be possessing him fully and forever, no longer in the capacity of a slave, but above a slave, a brother , a beloved one, beloved most of all by me, how much more than that by you, both in his human relationship and in the Lord.
(NASB77) 14 but without your consent I did not want to do anything, that your goodness should not be as it were by compulsion, but of your own free will.
(NASB95) 14 but without your consent I did not want to do anything, so that your goodness would not be, in effect, by compulsion but of your own free will.
(TEV) 14 However, I do not want to force you to help me; rather, I would like for you to do it of your own free will. So I will not do anything unless you agree.
(ERV) 14 but without thy mind I would do nothing; that thy goodness should not be as of necessity, but of free will.
(NHEB) 14 But I was willing to do nothing without your consent, that your goodness would not be as of necessity, but of free will.
(TCE) 14 but without your consent I did not want to do anything, so that your goodness would not be, in effect, by compulsion but of your own free will.
CT 14 but I would not do any thing without thy consent, that the benefit derived from thee might not be as it were forced, but of free will.
NENT 14 but without thy: mind I wished to do nothing; that thy: goodness be not as of necessity, but of free will.
SLT 14 But without thy judgment I would do nothing; that good might not be as according to necessity, but according to free will.
(NEB) 14 But I would rather do nothing without your consent, so that your kindness may be a matter not of compulsion, but of your own free will.
(REB) 14 But I would rather do nothing without your consent, so that your kindness may be a matter not of compulsion, but of your own free will.

Sorry. I'm not convinced.

You're very confused.
I've NEVER tried to "convince" you of anything.
YOU were the one with the bogus claim.
So I'M the one who needs convincing.

And so since you can't demonstrate "free will" from that (or any other) verse, I guess we're done.

You were trying to convince me of your view of OBLIGATION only.

No, actually, I wasn't.
Why would I be trying to "convince" you of ANYTHING?
I couldn't care less what you believe.
You see, I'm not the insecure one.

I believe I did. We can disagree and leave to God. I'm fine with that.

Goodbye, then..
Why do you keep responding?

There are other verses to discuss. What about verses that talk of a individuals freedom to reject compulsion and act of their own freewill?

I've read through the entire Bible MANY many times, and never encountered your imaginary verses.
I guess that's why you weren't able to quote them, right?

That's another thing heretics do... They'll CLAIM that there are verses in the Bible, but never quote or cite them, since they are too afraid people will notice they don't say what you claimed.

One of those verses is one referenced by TomL. The ESV is particularly interesting.

Phm 1:14 but I preferred to do nothing without your consent in order that your goodness might not be by compulsion but of your own accord.

Yes, I've seen Tom's list of "proof-texts" for this and other issues many times. His abolute disrespect of God and abuse of Scripture is one of the reasons I've got him on "ignore".

He "cherry-picks" specific obscure translations that no one's ever heard of, mostly translated by individuals, and only because he thinks they support his view. This is fallacious argumentation.

I'm glad you quoted from the ESV.
It mentions NOTHING about "free will".
The two Greek words meaning "to will" are "θελω" and "βουλομαι".
Neither of these appears in your proof-text.

More implications from you..... I don't believe you're being fair with in this conversation. I'm not insecure. You've been this way from the beginning with me. Brother. I'm just going to stop right here. Enjoy your life. I pray God best be yours in Jesus Christ.

So you can't defend your false teachings, so you resort to personal attacks.
Why am I not surprised?

I can defend everything I've said. What I'm not going to accept is your use of "I'm not the that needs convincing" and "You see, I'm not the insecure one." in response.

I did not personally attack you. I simply said that you've been this way toward me from the beginning. That is a fact. Your claim of "personal attack" is bogus.

I haven't personally attacked you.
I've simply stated facts.

I'm not going to personally attack you. I'm avoiding you.

And you find that continuing to respond to me is an effective way of "avoiding" me?

You're very confused.
I've NEVER tried to "convince" you of anything.
YOU were the one with the bogus claim.
So I'M the one who needs convincing.

And so since you can't demonstrate "free will" from that (or any other) verse, I guess we're done.
(ARV 2005) but without thy mind I would do nothing, that thy goodness should not be as of necessity, but of free will.
(ASV-2014) but without thy mind I would do nothing; that thy goodness should not be as of necessity, but of free will.
(Anderson) but, without your consent, I was not willing to do any thing, that your good deed might not be as a matter of necessity, but one of free-will.
(ASV) but without thy mind I would do nothing; that thy goodness should not be as of necessity, but of free will.
(FAA) but I did not want to do anything without your opinion, so that your good deed would not be as it were under compulsion, but of free will.
(GDBY_NT) but without your consent I did not wish to do anything; in order that your good might not be by constraint, but by the free will:
(GW) Yet, I didn't want to do anything without your consent. I want you to do this favor for me out of your own free will without feeling forced to do it.
(csb) But I didn't want to do anything without your consent, so that your good deed might not be out of obligation, but of your own free will.
(LEB) But apart from your consent, I wanted to do nothing, in order that your good deed might be not as according to necessity, but according to your own free will.
(MRC) but without your consent I did not want to do anything, that your goodness might not be by necessity, but of your own free will.
(MNT) But without your consent I was unwilling to do anything, so that your kindness to me might be of your own free will, and not of compulsion.
(NTVR) but without thy mind I would do nothing; that thy goodness should not be as of necessity, but of free will.
(Revised Standard ) but I preferred to do nothing without your consent in order that your goodness might not be by compulsion but of your own free will.
(RNT) but without your consent I am unwilling to do anything, so that your goodness may not be of necessity but of free will.
(RSV-CE) but I preferred to do nothing without your consent in order that your goodness might not be by compulsion but of your own free will.
(TLV) But I didn’t want to do anything without your consent, so that your goodness wouldn’t be by force but by free will.
(WEB) But I was willing to do nothing without your consent, that your goodness would not be as of necessity, but of free will.
(WEB (R)) But I was willing to do nothing without your consent, that your goodness would not be as of necessity, but of free will.
(Wuest's) Georgia;;14-16 But I came to a decision in my heart to do nothing without your consent, in order that your goodness might not be as it were by compulsion but of your own free will. For perhaps on this account he was parted for a brief time in order that you might be possessing him fully and forever, no longer in the capacity of a slave, but above a slave, a brother , a beloved one, beloved most of all by me, how much more than that by you, both in his human relationship and in the Lord.
(NASB77) 14 but without your consent I did not want to do anything, that your goodness should not be as it were by compulsion, but of your own free will.
(NASB95) 14 but without your consent I did not want to do anything, so that your goodness would not be, in effect, by compulsion but of your own free will.
(TEV) 14 However, I do not want to force you to help me; rather, I would like for you to do it of your own free will. So I will not do anything unless you agree.
(ERV) 14 but without thy mind I would do nothing; that thy goodness should not be as of necessity, but of free will.
(NHEB) 14 But I was willing to do nothing without your consent, that your goodness would not be as of necessity, but of free will.
(TCE) 14 but without your consent I did not want to do anything, so that your goodness would not be, in effect, by compulsion but of your own free will.
and you can add both the NEB and the REB
CT 14 but I would not do any thing without thy consent, that the benefit derived from thee might not be as it were forced, but of free will.
NENT 14 but without thy: mind I wished to do nothing; that thy: goodness be not as of necessity, but of free will.
SLT 14 But without thy judgment I would do nothing; that good might not be as according to necessity, but according to free will.
(NEB) 14 But I would rather do nothing without your consent, so that your kindness may be a matter not of compulsion, but of your own free will.
(REB) 14 But I would rather do nothing without your consent, so that your kindness may be a matter not of compulsion, but of your own free will.
(MOFF)
14 but I did not want to do anything without your consent, so that your goodness to me might come of your own free will, without any appearance of constraint.

No, actually, I wasn't.
Why would I be trying to "convince" you of ANYTHING?
I couldn't care less what you believe.
You see, I'm not the insecure one.

Goodbye, then..
Why do you keep responding?

I've read through the entire Bible MANY many times, and never encountered your imaginary verses.
I guess that's why you weren't able to quote them, right?

That's another thing heretics do... They'll CLAIM that there are verses in the Bible, but never quote or cite them, since they are too afraid people will notice they don't say what you claimed.

Yes, I've seen Tom's list of "proof-texts" for this and other issues many times. His abolute disrespect of God and abuse of Scripture is one of the reasons I've got him on "ignore".

He "cherry-picks" specific obscure translations that no one's ever heard of, mostly translated by individuals, and only because he thinks they support his view. This is fallacious argumentation.

I'm glad you quoted from the ESV.
It mentions NOTHING about "free will".
The two Greek words meaning "to will" are "θελω" and "βουλομαι".
Neither of these appears in your proof-text.
Obscure like the

NASB
ASV
CSB
RSV
NEB

All committee translations

and if the old testament is examined

NKJV
Youngs
NET
NJV
Douay Rheems
NIV
NSRV
KJV
ESV

Just one non committee translation Youngs who is famous for both a Greek and Hebrew concordance

Its laughable you speak of hermenuetics and exegesis when all you offer is denial and bald face falsehoods

You've said you've had me on ignore before.......

Yes, I probably did.
That may have been in the previous forum, or I may have decided to give you another chance. I can't recall. But you have demonstrated that reasonable discussion with you is impossible.

"It's implied, and if you don't see it, tough! What I say goes!"

It is funny how YOUR... "facts" aren't personal attacks and my "facts" are.....

Funny, I was just thinking the same about you.
After all, YOU were the one who first claimed your personal attacks were merely "facts".
I was simply responding to you as per Prov. 26:5.

You have a huge problem with double standards.

You have a huge problem with pronouns.
That statement is true for you, not for me.

This the last time I respond.

"For the fifth time, this is the last time I respond!"
:D

I can defend everything I've said. What I'm not going to accept is your use of "I'm not the one that needs convincing" and "You see, I'm not the insecure one." in response.

I did not personally attack you. I simply said that you've been this way toward me from the beginning. That is a fact. Your claim of "personal attack" is bogus. I'm not going to personally attack you.
That is something he routinely does

Philemon 1:14
Well in Context this is dealing with a specific situation. That won't stop the choice meat crowd though.

Also this verse is addressed to believers. Remember audience relevance? So do unbelievers have free will?

Well in Context this is dealing with a specific situation. That won't stop the choice meat crowd though.

Also this verse is addressed to believers. Remember audience relevance? So do unbelievers have free will?

So are you confessing free will is true for believers

Do you have any evidence there was no free will before belief

The ability to believe is presupposed in scripture

John 20:31 (KJV)
31 But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.

John 1:7 (KJV)
7 The same came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all men through him might believe.

Romans 10:11-17 (KJV)
11 For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.
12 For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him.
13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.
14 How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?
15 And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!
16 But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report?
17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

Last edited by a moderator:

31 But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.

7 The same came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all men through him might believe.

12 For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him.
14 How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?
15 And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!
16 But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report?
Thats not what I said at all. The point is the text is addressed to believers dealing with a particular situation. You know, the context thing you and the choice meat crowd have a hard time with.

No, you presuppose it. The Bible does not.

Thats not what I said at all. The point is the text is addressed to believers dealing with a particular situation. You know, the context thing you and the choice meat crowd have a hard time with.

No, you presuppose it. The Bible does not.
You are sounding kind of pathetic there guy

You don't know what regeneration is and all you have to offer is denial and stale guilt by association tactics based on out of context third party statements

You are sounding kind of pathetic there guy

You don't know what regeneration is and all you have to offer is denial and stale guilt by association tactics based on out of context third party statements

15 And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and brin Tg glad tidings of good things!

In context it is dealing with a paticular situation and its addressed to believers,

The ability to believe is presupposed by the choice meat crowd but not the Bible. There is nothing about ability in any of those verses you posted . NOTHING

In context it is dealing with a paticular situation and its addressed to believers,

The ability to believe is presupposed by the choice meat crowd but not the Bible. There is nothing about ability in any of those verses you posted . NOTHING
Again you appear pathetic

No you present none

15 And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and brin Tg glad tidings of good things!

all you are capable of doing is offer bald denial and out of context third party quotes which have no bearing at all on the issue

Again you appear pathetic

No you present none

all you are capable of doing is offer bald denial and out of context third party quotes which have no bearing at all on the issue
The Bible does not presuppose ability. You do. You free willys have to. Not one of your out of context proof texts has anything do with ability. You see what you want to see. Time to invest in some new glasses. Choice meat provided of course

He must first prove that those verses teach mans will is “free” from God!

Those verses do not even come close to that.

He also must prove that those verses teach that the “will” is functioning by a power other than God!

Those verses do not even come close to that.

If he tries to assume, without scriptural justification, that God first creates them then “gives” them power to function free from God then he is claiming that, at that point, God is no longer in control of his own power! = at minimum this is Semi-Deism!

He makes multiple claims that can not be justified by Scripture.

Back