James 2:24

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theo1689

A particular Mormon loves to quote James 2:24 as the "be-all-and-end-all" verse of Scripture, even using it to try to "veto" far clearer passages, such as Eph. 2:8-9, Tit. 3:5, 2 Tim. 1:9, Rom. 4:1-6, Rom. 11:5-6, etc. etc. etc.) When a Mormon interprets a verse in a way that contradicts multiple verses in Scripture, that is a problem.

Indeed, at the very least, we have an issue which necessitates further study.

Rom. 4:2 For if Abraham was justified by works, he has something to boast about, but not before God.
James 2:21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered up his son Isaac on the altar?

Was Abraham justified by works?
Rom. 4:2 seems to say he wasn't.
James 2:21 seems to say he was.

So either one of those verses is wrong, or else one of these is being misinterpreted. And the position of our Mormon friend seems to be vehemently that:
(1) it is IMPOSSIBLE for individual Mormons to misinterpret Scripture, like James 2:21;
(2) Rom. 4:2 (which this poster keeps RUNNING AWAY from) MUST be wrong, and he doesn't have to prove it, he simply has to claim it.

This is why it is CRUCIAL to properly exegete Scripture, in its proper context, rather than simply ASSUMING a meaning simply by reading an isolated verse once. So let's look at James 2.

James 2:8 If you really fulfill the royal law according to the Scripture, “You shall love your neighbor as yourself,” you are doing well. 9 But if you show partiality, you are committing sin and are convicted by the law as transgressors. 10 For whoever keeps the whole law but fails in one point has become guilty of all of it.

So James starts by referring to "the whole law" (ie. the Mosaic Law). Not just the Ten Commandments, but (and I quote) "the whole law". God is holy, and He demands PERFECT obedience. If one obeys 612 of the commandments, but fail on the other commandment, you are guilty of ALL of it. Perfect obedience is required. This is an INCREDIBLY high standard. And maybe this is why Paul wrote:

Rom. 3:19 Now we know that whatever the law says it speaks to those who are under the law, so that every mouth may be stopped, and the whole world may be held accountable to God. 20 For by works of the law no human being will be justified in his sight, since through the law comes knowledge of sin.

James 2:11 For he who said, “Do not commit adultery,” also said, “Do not murder.” If you do not commit adultery but do murder, you have become a transgressor of the law. 12 So speak and so act as those who are to be judged under the law of liberty. 13 For judgment is without mercy to one who has shown no mercy. Mercy triumphs over judgment.

This goes back to James' comment back in James 2:1 about showing no partiality, and not treating a rich man differently than a poor man. At the end of the day, every one of us is guilty of some sin or other, and so (according to James 2:10 is guilty of the WHOLE law). That's why it is impossible to keep the Law. And James' point is that we should be judging or "evaluating" others when even we can't hold ourselves up to those same standards.

James 2:14 What good is it, my brothers, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can that faith save him?

Remembering that James was just writing about keeping the law, he asks the (rhetorical) question of what if someone CLAIMS to have faith, but doesn't have works? Notice that this is not saying the man actually HAS faith, but only that he CLAIMS to have faith. This is not an instance of "having faith but not works", since it hasn't been demonstrated that he actually DOES have true faith. But James will address that shortly. Then he asks, "can THAT faith (the merely claimed faith, which has no works) save him?" And of course, the answer is "no". If someone only CLAIMS to have faith, but doesn't ACTUALLY have faith, he isn't saved, because he doesn't have faith.

James 2:15 If a brother or sister is poorly clothed and lacking in daily food, 16 and one of you says to them, “Go in peace, be warmed and filled,” without giving them the things needed for the body, what good is that? 17 So also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.

So James gives an example, that if someone sees another in need, and only gives them good wishes, "be well", but doesn't ACTUALLY help them, then that is evidence that such a person doesn't have faith at all. Because from true faith springs the fruits of the Spirit, such as charity and love. So this is what James means when he says that such a claimed faith is "dead". It doesn't exist.

And please note, the "works" James suggest don't benefit the man who claims to have faith (so as to "complete" any "requirements" for salvation), but they benefit OTHERS, as God has decreed.

James 2:18 But someone will say, “You have faith and I have works.” Show me your faith apart from your works, and I will show you my faith by my works.

We will recall that James gave an example of a "claimed" faith in v. 14. How do we know whether the claim of faith is authentic faith, or a lie? We can't read minds, so there must be another way to tell. The original person who claimed faith had no works. So James asks rhetorically, "Show me your faith apart from your works", which is of course impossible.

But then he says, "I will show you my faith by my works".
And this is key.

Works are not something to be "added" to faith to "complete" salvation.

Works are fruits of the Spirit, designed to DEMONSTRATE (or "show") a faith that actually exists.

The purpose of works is to demonstrate a living, active faith.

James 2:19
You believe that God is one; you do well. Even the demons believe—and shudder!

Now James comments on the meaning of "believe", and what might or might not be suggested by use of the term. It can be used to simply denote what earlier Christians referred to as "notitia" in Latin, basically just a recognition of what is accepted as truth. It is accepted that one God exists, so even the demons accept that. But this shallow level of "believing" doesn't save. Full-blown saving faith includes:
"notitia" (recognition);
"assensus" (accepting the truth claim); and
"fiducia" (trusting);

(to be continued...)

(continuing...)

James 2:20 Do you want to be shown, you foolish person, that faith apart from works is useless?

Again, this brings us back to James speaking in v.14, where he speaks of a man who CLAIMS to have faith, but doesn't have works. James has already established that a true faith WILL produce works as its "fruits", so if one does not see fruits, that is evidence that there is no underlying faith. Again, works aren't something you "add" to faith (as if from under your own power), they are something which naturally follows a true and active faith.

There is a logical construct called "Modus Tollens", and it works like this:

P1. <A> implies <B>.
P2. not-<B>.
C1. Therefore, not <A>.

For example:
P1. When it is sunny, I wear sunglasses.
P2. I am not wearing sunglasses.
C1. Therefore, it is not sunny.

Applying this to James 2, we have:

P1. Faith produces works.
P2. There are no works.
C1. Therefore, there must not be true faith.

THAT is James' point in this chapter.

James 2:21 Was not Abraham our father justified (ἐδικαιώθη) by works when he offered up his son Isaac on the altar? 22 You see that faith was active along with his works, and faith was completed by his works; 23 and the Scripture was fulfilled that says, “Abraham believed God, and it was counted to him as righteousness("δικαιοσύνην") —and he was called a friend of God.

It's important to note that "justification" and "righteousness" are synonyms, and so they mean the same thing, and that both terms in this passage come from the SAME underlying Greek term, "δικαιοσθνη". So if one takes the Mormon misinterpretation of James 2:21, then you have James contradicting himself in v.21 and v.23.

James said it was Abraham's BELIEF that "was counted as righteousness". He was made righteous by his faith ("belief"), without any mention of anything else. James' point here is (just as in v.18) that one's works DEMONSTRATE (or "vindicate", or "justify") one's claim of faiith.

From "dictionary.com":
"Justify"
verb (used with object), jus·ti·fied, jus·ti·fy·ing.
1. to show (an act, claim, statement, etc.) to be just or right: The end does not always justify the means.
to defend or uphold as warranted or well-grounded: Don't try to justify his rudeness.
3. Theology. to declare innocent or guiltless; absolve; acquit
Synonyms:
vindicate; validate

THIS is precisely what James was saying:
1) Abraham was justified by faith (and nothing else); James 2:23, Rom. 4:3,5, Gen. 15:6
2) Abraham's faith was justified (or "vindicated") by his works.

James 2:24 You see that a person is justified by works and not by faith alone.

That is, his faith is justified ("vindicated", or "completed", v.22) by his works.

James 2:25 And in the same way was not also Rahab the prostitute justified by works when she received the messengers and sent them out by another way?

Rahab had true faith that they would save her.
And that faith was "justified" ("vindicated", "demonstrated") by her actions.

James 2:26 For as the body apart from the spirit is dead, so also faith apart from works is dead.

And so we end with one of the Mormon's favourite "proof-texts". But they skip 25 verses, because they don't wish to stay true to the CONTEXT. They want to be free to project whatever self-serving theology they feel like.

But again, "faith apart from works" simply means, as James argued in v.18, that a true faith WILL produce good works, and without good works being shown, there is no validity to any claim of true faith".

As Jeff Durbin points out, James 2 is NOT about "faith alone" versus "faith plus works".
James 2 is about "true faith" vs. "false faith".

Yet we have to rely on MORE than just James 2, we have to rely on the ENTIRE Bible, and so we must not forget that salvation is based on:

"... you have been saved through faith ... not a result of works ..." (Eph. 2:8-9)
"who saved us ... not because of our works ..." (2 Tim. 1:9)
"he saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, ..." (Tit. 3:5)
"... if Abraham was justified by works[?] ... but not before God." (Rom. 4:2)
"... the one who does not work but believes ... his faith is counted as righteousness," (Rom. 4:5)
"... the one to whom God counts righteousness apart from works" (Rom. 4:6)
"... if it is by grace, it is no longer on the basis of works; ..." (Rom. 11:6)

Since Mormons LOVE to quote the ECF's when they think it suits them, it seems prudent to see what the first Christians believed regarding the relationship between "works" and "salvation":

And we, too, being called by His will in Christ Jesus, are not justified by ourselves, nor by our own wisdom, or understanding, or godliness, or works we have have wrought in holiness of heart, but by that faith through which, from the beginning, Almighty God has justified all men; to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.
- Clement, First Epistle to the Corinthians, Ch. 32 (AD 99)

Every mystery which is enacted by our Lord Jesus Christ asks  only for faith. The mystery was enacted at that time for our sake and aimed at our resurrection and liberation, should we have faith in the mystery of Christ and in Christ.”
- Marius Victorinus, Epistle to the Galatians,1.3.7 (AD 356)

Let him who boasts boast in the Lord, that Christ has been made by God for us in righteousness, wisdom, justification, redemption. This is perfect and pure boasting in God, when one is not proud on account of his own righteousness but knows that he is indeed unworthy of the true righteousness and is (or has been) justified solely by faith in Christ.
- Basil of Caesarea, Homilia XX, Homilia De Humilitate (AD 379)

God has decreed that a person who believes in Christ can be saved without works. By faith alone he receives the forgiveness of sins.
- Ambrosiaster, on 1 Cor 1:14b (AD 384)

They are justified freely because they have not done anything nor given anything in return, but by faith alone they have been made holy by the gift of God.
- Ambrosiaster, on Rom. 3:24 (AD 384)

The patriarch Abraham himself before receiving circumcision had been declared righteous on the score of faith alone; before circumcision, the text says, Abraham believed God, and credit for it brought him to righteousness.
- Chrysostom, Homilies on Genesis, 27.7 (AD 407)

See he calls the faith also a law delighting to keep to the names, and so allay the seeming novelty. But what is the ‘law of faith’? It is, being saved by grace. Here he shows God’s power, in that He has not only saved, but has even justified, and led them to boasting, and this too without needing works, but looking for faith only.
- Chrysostom, Homilies on the Epistle of Paul the Apostle to the Romans, Homily 7, vs. 27 (AD 407)

For a person who had no works, to be justified by faith, was nothing unlikely.  But for a person richly adorned with good deeds, not to be made just from hence, but from faith, this is the thing to cause wonder, and to set the power of faith in a strong light.
- Chrysostom, Homilies on the Epistle of Paul the Apostle to the Romans, Homily 8, Rom. 4:1-2 (AD 407)

“God justifies by faith alone” (“Deus ex sola fide justificat”)
- Jerome, Epestolam Ad Romanos, Caput X, v.3 (AD 420)

What Paul meant was that no one obtains the gift of justification on the basis of merits derived from works performed beforehand, but they gift of justification comes only from faith.
- Bede, Cited from the Ancient Christian Commentary on Scripture (ed. Gerald Bray), NT, vol. 11, p. 31.(AD 735)

"But in addition that you might believe also this, that sins are given to you individually, this is the testimony, which the Holy Spirit bestows in your heart, saying, Your sins are forgiven by you. For the Apostle thinks thus, that man is gratuitously justified through faith."
- Bernard of Clairvaux , First Sermon on the Annunciation (AD 1153)

Therefore the hope of justification is not found in them [the moral and ceremonial requirements of the law], but in faith alone.
- Thomas Aquinas, Expositio in Ep. I ad Timotheum cap. 1, lect. 3 (AD 1274)

What does the Bible teach?:

Mark 16:16 Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned.

Luke 8:12 The ones along the path are those who have heard; then the devil comes and takes away the word from their hearts, so that they may not believe and be saved.

John 3:15 that whoever believes in him may have eternal life.

John 3:16 “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.

John 3:36 Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life; whoever does not obey the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God remains on him.

John 5:24 Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life. He does not come into judgment, but has passed from death to life.

John 6:35 Jesus said to them, “I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me shall not hunger, and whoever believes in me shall never thirst.

John 6:40 For this is the will of my Father, that everyone who looks on the Son and believes in him should have eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day.”

John 6:47 Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever believes has eternal life.

John 11:25 Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. Whoever believes in me, though he die, yet shall he live, 26 and everyone who lives and believes in me shall never die. Do you believe this?”

John 20:31 but these are written so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name.

Acts 15:11 But we believe that we will be saved through the grace of the Lord Jesus, just as they will.”

Acts 16:31 And they said, “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved, you and your household.”

Rom. 10:9 because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For with the heart one believes and is justified, and with the mouth one confesses and is saved.

1Cor. 1:21 For since, in the wisdom of God, the world did not know God through wisdom, it pleased God through the folly of what we preach to save those who believe.

Gal. 2:20 I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.

Eph. 2:8 For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God,

1Tim. 1:16 But I received mercy for this reason, that in me, as the foremost, Jesus Christ might display his perfect patience as an example to those who were to believe in him for eternal life.

James 5:15 And the prayer of faith will save the one who is sick, and the Lord will raise him up. And if he has committed sins, he will be forgiven.

1John 5:13 I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life.

Jude 5 Now I want to remind you, although you once fully knew it, that Jesus, who saved a people out of the land of Egypt, afterward destroyed those who did not believe.

That is, his faith is justified ("vindicated", or "completed", v.22) by his works

James2:24 testifies a person is justified by works, and not by faith alone.

If that is true--then faith alone theology is false.

(continuing...)

James 2:20 Do you want to be shown, you foolish person, that faith apart from works is useless?

Again, this brings us back to James speaking in v.14, where he speaks of a man who CLAIMS to have faith, but doesn't have works. James has already established that a true faith WILL produce works as its "fruits", so if one does not see fruits, that is evidence that there is no underlying faith. Again, works aren't something you "add" to faith (as if from under your own power), they are something which naturally follows a true and active faith.

P1. <A> implies <B>.
P2. not-<B>.
C1. Therefore, not <A>.

For example:

P2. There are no works.

James 2:21 Was not Abraham our father justified (ἐδικαιώθη) by works when he offered up his son Isaac on the altar? 22 You see that faith was active along with his works, and faith was completed by his works; 23 and the Scripture was fulfilled that says, “Abraham believed God, and it was counted to him as righteousness("δικαιοσύνην") —and he was called a friend of God.

It's important to note that "justification" and "righteousness" are synonyms, and so they mean the same thing, and that both terms in this passage come from the SAME underlying Greek term, "δικαιοσθνη". So if one takes the Mormon misinterpretation of James 2:21, then you have James contradicting himself in v.21 and v.23.

James said it was Abraham's BELIEF that "was counted as righteousness". He was made righteous by his faith ("belief"), without any mention of anything else. James' point here is (just as in v.18) that one's works DEMONSTRATE (or "vindicate", or "justify") one's claim of faiith.

From "dictionary.com":
"Justify"
verb (used with object), jus·ti·fied, jus·ti·fy·ing.
1. to show (an act, claim, statement, etc.) to be just or right: The end does not always justify the means.
to defend or uphold as warranted or well-grounded: Don't try to justify his rudeness.
3. Theology. to declare innocent or guiltless; absolve; acquit
Synonyms:
vindicate; validate

THIS is precisely what James was saying:
1) Abraham was justified by faith (and nothing else); James 2:23, Rom. 4:3,5, Gen. 15:6
2) Abraham's faith was justified (or "vindicated") by his works.

That is, his faith is justified ("vindicated", or "completed", v.22) by his works.

James 2:25 And in the same way was not also Rahab the prostitute justified by works when she received the messengers and sent them out by another way?

Rahab had true faith that they would save her.
And that faith was "justified" ("vindicated", "demonstrated") by her actions.

James 2:26 For as the body apart from the spirit is dead, so also faith apart from works is dead.

And so we end with one of the Mormon's favourite "proof-texts". But they skip 25 verses, because they don't wish to stay true to the CONTEXT. They want to be free to project whatever self-serving theology they feel like.

But again, "faith apart from works" simply means, as James argued in v.18, that a true faith WILL produce good works, and without good works being shown, there is no validity to any claim of true faith".

As Jeff Durbin points out, James 2 is NOT about "faith alone" versus "faith plus works".
James 2 is about "true faith" vs. "false faith".

Yet we have to rely on MORE than just James 2, we have to rely on the ENTIRE Bible, and so we must not forget that salvation is based on:

"... you have been saved through faith ... not a result of works ..." (Eph. 2:8-9)
"who saved us ... not because of our works ..." (2 Tim. 1:9)
"he saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, ..." (Tit. 3:5)
"... if Abraham was justified by works[?] ... but not before God." (Rom. 4:2)
"... the one who does not work but believes ... his faith is counted as righteousness," (Rom. 4:5)
"... the one to whom God counts righteousness apart from works" (Rom. 4:6)
"... if it is by grace, it is no longer on the basis of works; ..." (Rom. 11:6)
Great post! I agree with all of it.
Baptism without faith is useless.
If we have faith, we demonstrate our faith in Him by baptism.

2 Ne 31:10 And he said unto the children of men: Follow thou me. Wherefore, my beloved brethren, can we follow Jesus save we shall be willing to keep the commandments of the Father?

Then afterward we are under the Law of the Spirit:
2 Ne 32:5 For behold, again I say unto you that if ye will enter in by the way, and receive the Holy Ghost, it will show unto you all things what ye should do

It's called the doctrine of Christ.

What does the Bible teach?:

Mark 16:16 Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned.

Luke 8:12 The ones along the path are those who have heard; then the devil comes and takes away the word from their hearts, so that they may not believe and be saved.

John 3:15 that whoever believes in him may have eternal life.

John 3:16 “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.

John 3:36 Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life; whoever does not obey the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God remains on him.

John 5:24 Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life. He does not come into judgment, but has passed from death to life.

John 6:35 Jesus said to them, “I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me shall not hunger, and whoever believes in me shall never thirst.

John 6:40 For this is the will of my Father, that everyone who looks on the Son and believes in him should have eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day.”

John 6:47 Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever believes has eternal life.

John 11:25 Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. Whoever believes in me, though he die, yet shall he live, 26 and everyone who lives and believes in me shall never die. Do you believe this?”

John 20:31 but these are written so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name.

Acts 15:11 But we believe that we will be saved through the grace of the Lord Jesus, just as they will.”

Acts 16:31 And they said, “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved, you and your household.”

Rom. 10:9 because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For with the heart one believes and is justified, and with the mouth one confesses and is saved.

1Cor. 1:21 For since, in the wisdom of God, the world did not know God through wisdom, it pleased God through the folly of what we preach to save those who believe.

Gal. 2:20 I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.

Eph. 2:8 For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God,

1Tim. 1:16 But I received mercy for this reason, that in me, as the foremost, Jesus Christ might display his perfect patience as an example to those who were to believe in him for eternal life.

James 5:15 And the prayer of faith will save the one who is sick, and the Lord will raise him up. And if he has committed sins, he will be forgiven.

1John 5:13 I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life.

Jude 5 Now I want to remind you, although you once fully knew it, that Jesus, who saved a people out of the land of Egypt, afterward destroyed those who did not believe.

Theo--what is your evidence things such as repentance, water baptism, keeping the commandments, walking in the light, enduring to the end, etc--obedience to Jesus Christ--isn't integral to "faith" or "belief"?

Just as an engine, transmission, wheels, or doors are integral to the term "car"?

So--when you reference the term "faith"--is that a reference to a faith with obedience to Christ(works)--or a faith without obedience to Christ?

(continuing...)

Again, this brings us back to James speaking in v.14, where he speaks of a man who CLAIMS to have faith, but doesn't have works. James has already established that a true faith WILL produce works as its "fruits", so if one does not see fruits, that is evidence that there is no underlying faith.

That connects faith and works as integral components to one another.

If works need to be present to establish faith--then faith alone theology suffers.

Again, works aren't something you "add" to faith (as if from under your own power), they are something which naturally follows a true and active faith.

Please do explain for us how faith can be a "true and active faith" prior to works--when you just stated, there is "no underlying faith" without those works(fruits)? If the works follow a true and active faith--then a true and active faith has to be present prior to the works which follow.

Tell us--does salvation occur before the works follow that true and active faith?

P1. <A> implies <B>.
P2. not-<B>.
C1. Therefore, not <A>.

For example:

P2. There are no works.

Again--that still connects works and faith as integral components.

So--does "true faith" have to be present in order for salvation to occur in one?

James is discussing the evidence of faith (says-claims to have faith but has no works/I will show you my faith by my works - James 2:14-18) and not the initial act of being accounted as righteous with God. (Romans 4:2-3)

@Theo1689 hopefully your well-explained posts will help some. There are perhaps others who will remain blinded by their self-righteousness, but it is possible for God to open the eyes of the blind to these truths. In fact, He does just that for all He has chosen in Christ.

James is discussing the evidence of faith (says-claims to have faith but has no works/I will show you my faith by my works - James 2:14-18) and not the initial act of being accounted as righteous with God. (Romans 4:2-3)

If one connects works with the reality of "underlying faith"--then it is more than just evidence, IE---

Theo1689 said:
(continuing...)

Again, this brings us back to James speaking in v.14, where he speaks of a man who CLAIMS to have faith, but doesn't have works. James has already established that a true faith WILL produce works as its "fruits", so if one does not see fruits, that is evidence that there is no underlying faith.

1 John 3:7---King James Version
7 Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous.

@Theo1689 hopefully your well-explained posts will help some. There are perhaps others who will remain blinded by their self-righteousness, but it is possible for God to open the eyes of the blind to these truths. In fact, He does just that for all He has chosen in Christ.

So--are these to be counted among the "self-righteous"?

Revelation 22:14---King James Version
14 Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

Preacher--it seems anyone who connects deeds with His grace unto life--is considered "self righteous"--in the faith alone world.

Obviously--Jesus wasn't a faith alone adherent:

Matthew 19:16-19---King James Version
16 And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?
17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.
18 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,
19 Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

14 Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

Preacher--it seems anyone who connects deeds with His grace unto life--is considered "self righteous"--in the faith alone world.

16 And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?
17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.
18 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,
19 Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
You don't know what Scripture means, only what it says, showing you are on the outside looking in.

If one connects works with the reality of "underlying faith"--then it is more than just evidence, IE---

1 John 3:7---King James Version
7 Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous.
Works are the fruit, by-product and demonstrative evidence of authentic faith, but not the very essence of faith and also not the basis or means by which we obtain salvation. (Romans 4:2-6; Ephesians 2:8,9 etc..).

1 John 3:7 - Little children, make sure no one deceives you; the one who practices righteousness is righteous, just as He is righteous; 8 the one who practices sin is of the devil; for the devil has sinned from the beginning. The Son of God appeared for this purpose, to destroy the works of the devil. 9 No one who is born of God practices sin, because His seed abides in him; and he cannot sin, because he is born of God. 10 By this the children of God and the children of the devil are obvious: anyone who does not practice righteousness is not of God, nor the one who does not love his brother.

*Demonstrative evidence.*

Works are the fruit, by-product and demonstrative evidence of authentic faith, but not the very essence of faith and also not the basis or means by which we obtain salvation. (Romans 4:2-6; Ephesians 2:8,9 etc..).

1 John 3:7 - Little children, make sure no one deceives you; the one who practices righteousness is righteous, just as He is righteous; 8 the one who practices sin is of the devil; for the devil has sinned from the beginning. The Son of God appeared for this purpose, to destroy the works of the devil. 9 No one who is born of God practices sin, because His seed abides in him; and he cannot sin, because he is born of God. 10 By this the children of God and the children of the devil are obvious: anyone who does not practice righteousness is not of God, nor the one who does not love his brother.

*Demonstrative evidence.*
Works righteous groups--and there are others besides the LDS church--just cannot wrap their minds around the fact that Jesus did it ALL for us--suffered, bled, died, and rose again from the dead for the forgiveness of ALL our sins, which is ours by grace through faith in HIM and what He did for us on the cross. It just seems too good to be true, and we sinful mortals tend to be wary of that--but in this case, it is NOT. It IS true!

The good works we do flow out of that faith and gratitude towards our savior, which is why Paul could say, in Eph. 2:9-10:

We are GOD'S workmanship, created IN Christ Jesus for good works, which He has prepared in advance for us to do, so that we may walk in them.

WHOSE workmanship are we? Our own? Nope--God's! WHO has created us IN Christ Jesus--and this means in faith in Him--to do good works? GOD! And Who has prepared us IN ADVANCE to walk in them? Who enables us to do so? Our own efforts? Nope, GOD!

All glory, praise, and honor got to our great Heavenly Father, through Jesus Christ our Lord, for all that He has done for us, and enables us to do, on account of the indwelling HS.

You see.... You can never stay on one topic, or on one passage. Whenever you are refuted on one passage, you run away to a different one, and then twist it to try to fit your narrative.

When and if you are ever ready to address the exegesis of James 2, please let me know.

Great post! I agree with all of it.
Baptism without faith is useless.
If we have faith, we demonstrate our faith in Him by baptism.

2 Ne 31:10 And he said unto the children of men: Follow thou me. Wherefore, my beloved brethren, can we follow Jesus save we shall be willing to keep the commandments of the Father?

Then afterward we are under the Law of the Spirit:
2 Ne 32:5 For behold, again I say unto you that if ye will enter in by the way, and receive the Holy Ghost, it will show unto you all things what ye should do

It's called the doctrine of Christ.
Baptism is a necessary ordinance, it gets us through the gate and lets us proceed with all the other necessary ordinances we perform for entrance into the Celestial Kingdom... Christians only preach one heaven and one hell... faith alone satisfies the first principle of the Gospel, Faith in God and His Son Jesus Christ... they do receive resurrection or saved from physical death, its a gift to all...

Salvation from Physical Death. All people eventually die. But through the Atonement and Resurrection of Jesus Christ, all people will be resurrected—saved from physical death. Paul testified, “As in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive” (1 Corinthians 15:22). In this sense, everyone is saved, regardless of choices made during this life. This is a free gift from the Savior to all human beings.

Salvation from Sin. To be cleansed from sin through the Savior’s Atonement, an individual must exercise faith in Jesus Christ, repent, be baptized, and receive the gift of the Holy Ghost (see Acts 2:37–38). Those who have been baptized and have received the Holy Ghost through the proper priesthood authority have been conditionally saved from sin. In this sense, salvation is conditional, depending on an individual’s continuing in faithfulness, or enduring to the end in keeping the commandments of God (see 2 Peter 2:20–22).

Individuals cannot be saved in their sins; they cannot receive unconditional salvation simply by declaring a belief in Christ with the understanding that they will inevitably commit sins throughout the rest of their lives (see Alma 11:36–37). However, through the grace of God, all can be saved from their sins (see 2 Nephi 25:23; Helaman 5:10–11) as they repent and follow Jesus Christ.

You see.... You can never stay on one topic, or on one passage. Whenever you are refuted on one passage, you run away to a different one, and then twist it to try to fit your narrative.

When and if you are ever ready to address the exegesis of James 2, please let me know.
You never replied to the rich man and Christ answer to "what shall I do that I may inherit eternal life"
Did God say to him, "faith alone" or did he not say sacrifice all you have and follow me... so according to scripture, faith alone is not mentioned but as I discussed before about Abraham and his willingness to sacrifice all he had, even his very son...

Works righteous groups--and there are others besides the LDS church--just cannot wrap their minds around the fact that Jesus did it ALL for us--suffered, bled, died, and rose again from the dead for the forgiveness of ALL our sins, which is ours by grace through faith in HIM and what He did for us on the cross. It just seems too good to be true, and we sinful mortals tend to be wary of that--but in this case, it is NOT. It IS true!

The good works we do flow out of that faith and gratitude towards our savior, which is why Paul could say, in Eph. 2:9-10:

WHOSE workmanship are we? Our own? Nope--God's! WHO has created us IN Christ Jesus--and this means in faith in Him--to do good works? GOD! And Who has prepared us IN ADVANCE to walk in them? Who enables us to do so? Our own efforts? Nope, GOD!

All glory, praise, and honor got to our great Heavenly Father, through Jesus Christ our Lord, for all that He has done for us, and enables us to do, on account of the indwelling HS.
Faith alone without complete sacrifice on our part has not affect on Eternal Life... Abraham is a great example of this, sacrifice all he had and then follow God...so Bonnie are you willing to sacrifice all you have, or are you depending on your faith alone for salvation?

Mark 10

26 And they were astonished out of measure, saying among themselves, Who then can be saved?

27 And Jesus looking upon them saith, With men it is impossible, but not with God: for with God all things are possible.

28 Then Peter began to say unto him, Lo, we have left all, and have followed thee.

29 And Jesus answered and said, Verily I say unto you, There is no man that hath left house, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my sake, and the gospel's,

30 But he shall receive an hundredfold now in this time, houses, and brethren, and sisters, and mothers, and children, and lands, with persecutions; and in the world to come eternal life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back