Faith Alone

Aaron32

How do you define "Faith Alone"?

Does faith alone mean "lawlessness" where we completely disregard the commandments?

Can you expound on this?
If a person wilfully rejects a known commandment, are they still "saved", and if so...how?

If a circle has corners, is it still a circle, and if so, how?
Saved Christians don't "willfully reject a known commandment".

Salvation starts off by being regenerated by God, with God taking out our old heart of stone, and replacing it with a God-loving heart of flesh. Salvation is not simply "obeying commandments", nor is it nothing but a "decision" someone makes. It is God quickening us to a new life in Christ.

Salvation starts off by being regenerated by God, with God taking out our old heart of stone, and replacing it with a God-loving heart of flesh. Salvation is not simply "obeying commandments", nor is it nothing but a "decision" someone makes. It is God quickening us to a new life in Christ.
Perfect! Thank you!

What role would baptism play in terms of salvation?

How do you define "Faith Alone"?

Does faith alone mean "lawlessness" where we completely disregard the commandments?

You quoted Luther:

"We are saved by faith alone.
But a faith that saves is never alone."

dberrie loves to quote James 2. But all James 2 is teaching is that a true faith will be evident by the presence of works as its "fruits". A claim to having true faith is "justified" by the presence of fruits.

A true faith produces works.
But those works don't contribute to our salvation, only the faith does.
These works are the RESULT of our salvation, not a "requirement" for it.
Eph. 2:8 For by grace
you have been saved

through faith.
salvation by faith (alone)
And this is not your own doing;
it is the gift of God,

9 not a result of works,
so that no one may boast.
not by anything we do

not by works
10 For we are his workmanship,
created in Christ Jesus

for good works, which God
prepared beforehand,

that we should walk in them.
works are the result of salvation.
works come after salvation, as fruits.

So, once saved always saved?

No.
"Perseverance of the saints".

If I become a serial killer after accepting Jesus do I still get salvation,

That's about as likely as an apple tree suddenly growing lemons, and you asking, "is it still an apple tree?"

If it's a true apple tree, it will NEVER grow lemons.
If it grows lemons, it NEVER was an apple tree.

or is it more likely that I was never "saved" to begin with?

This brings us back to James 2, doesn't it?
If someone CLAIMS to have faith (James 2:14), but his works are evil ("serial killer"), and not good? It means his claim to faith was never valid in the first place.

No.
"Perseverance of the saints".

That's about as likely as an apple tree suddenly growing lemons, and you asking, "is it still an apple tree?"

If it's a true apple tree, it will NEVER grow lemons.
If it grows lemons, it NEVER was an apple tree.

This brings us back to James 2, doesn't it?
If someone CLAIMS to have faith (James 2:14), but his works are evil ("serial killer"), and not good? It means his claim to faith was never valid in the first place.
Thank you...again!

So, once saved always saved?
If I become a serial killer after accepting Jesus do I still get salvation, or is it more likely that I was never "saved" to begin with?
It depends which covenant one is operating under. Under the first testament one must continue to rely upon Christ's sacrifice to cover their sins. Under the second covenant, that option no longer exists (Hebrews 9:15 "15 And for this cause he is the mediator of the new testament, that by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions that were under the first testament, they which are called might receive the promise of eternal inheritance."

See also Hebrews 10:26 which spotlights that there remains no more sacrifice for sins, therefore we have two possibilities; either those who sin under the second covenant are damned because there is no sacrifice to cover their sins, or no one sins under the new covenant. Which option sounds like the gospel to you? Take your pick.

Can you expound on this?
If a person wilfully rejects a known commandment, are they still "saved", and if so...how?
Yes, they are still saved. Why would they not be saved? You, you, you wilfully reject a known commandment everyday. Everyday!!!

If so...how? ALL of my sins have been imputed to Christ Jesus...nailed to the cross with Jesus. All sins, past, present and future. AND, Jesus' righteousness has be imputed to me.

Salvation is by belief and trust in the true God, and what God already did and promises still to do on our behalf.
Faith is believing and trusting.

"I (God) am the Lord,
And besides Me there is no savior." Isaiah 43

If one is truly in Jesus, their salvation is assured.

Your performance is not what "gets you to Heaven", or even what keeps you out of it.

Salvation is by belief and trust in the true God, and what God already did and promises still to do on our behalf.
Faith is believing and trusting.

Believing what?

"I (God) am the Lord,
And besides Me there is no savior." Isaiah 43

If one is truly in Jesus, their salvation is assured.

Your performance is not what "gets you to Heaven", or even what keeps you out of it.

Believing what?
The ONE GOD ( who said " US & OUR " in Gen 1:26 ) is indeed a TRINITY composed of these 3 Divine Persons ( Father, Son, & Holy Spirit - Matt.28:19 )! You are one Human composed of a Body, Soul, & Spirit as per 1 Thess.5:23! Each part of one human can be called human ( Human Body, Human Soul, & Human Spirit ) with out actually being 3 Humans! Thus indeed the scriptures in John 1:1, Acts 5:3-4 , & Heb.1:8 calls each of those 3 Divine Persons God ( God the Father, God the Son, & God the Holy Spirit ) without actually having 3 GOD's ! Case closed!

Last edited:
Believing what?
Believe Jesus is the Messiah promised to Israel, the savior promised to mankind from the beginning Genesis 3
Believe Jesus is God incarnate/ as only God is Savior Isaiah 43:11
that He came to deal with our Sin issue on our behalf/
that He died, was buried, and is risen - His death is accepted in place of ours, and we can be resurrected to everlasting Life
that by believing Him and trusting His work on our behalf we can be made a part of the Family of God
and have a glorious inheritance with Him for all Eternity

MMM Was Paul talking to an unsaved church...If Paul had to tell the church these things it means they were doing them.
29 Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.
30 And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.
31 Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking, be put away from you, with all malice:
Eph 4 is a good place to learn that believers are not yet perfect...so to say that "saved Christians don't willfully reject a known commandment is nonsense". Lust , envy, hate all happens inside the person, so we don't know when the person do them.
If Paul is telling the church to put away those things then it must be that it was happening in the church. So according to Theo maybe there were only a few saved Christians in the church, those who Paul wrote to were not saved.

Yes.

You can't lose your salvation.
lol...
heb 10
26 For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,
27 But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.
2 Peter 2:20
For if after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, they are again entangled therein, and overcome, the latter end is worse with them than the beginning.

Back