What is the Gospel according to Mormons?

organgrinder

Two Mormons on this site have been asked to explain exactly what the Gospel is. No answer yet. Any other Mormons out there who can answer?

Two Mormons on this site have been asked to explain exactly what the Gospel is. No answer yet. Any other Mormons out there who can answer?
Merry Christmas, Organ.

I have been asked twice--and I gave the answer twice: IE--

any truth which pertains to eternal life.

Such as:

Romans 6:22---King James Version
22 But now being made free from sin, and become servants to God, ye have your fruit unto holiness, and the end everlasting life.

1 Corinthians 15
1:
Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;
By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.
For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;
And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

The Bible teaches the Gospel is what Jesus has done for us.

The Mormon interpretation of the Gospel is what we can do.

D&C 84:26 And the lesser priesthood continued, which priesthood holdeth the key of the ministering of angels and the preparatory gospel;

27 Which gospel is the gospel of repentance and of baptism, and the remission of sins, and the law of carnal commandments, which the Lord in his wrath caused to continue with the house of Aaron among the children of Israel until John, whom God raised up, being filled with the Holy Ghost from his mother’s womb.

22 But now being made free from sin, and become servants to God, ye have your fruit unto holiness, and the end everlasting life.

1) Is "being made free" in the active voice, or the passive voice?

2) Who is the "ye" who have "be[en] made free"?

3) Who is the agent who "made them free"?

4) Does verse 17 help to inform you of the answers to these questions?

1 Corinthians 15
1:
Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;
By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.
For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;
And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

The Bible teaches the Gospel is what Jesus has done for us.

The Mormon interpretation of the Gospel is what we can do.

It's called the New Covenant--and a covenant is a two party(or more) agreement--with conditions pertaining to all parties.

The above verses indicate that--and, as Paul testifies to--the FIRST principles were as stated. That indicates there are other principles involved.

Revelation 14:12-13---King James Version
12 Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.
13 And I heard a voice from heaven saying unto me, Write, Blessed are the dead which die in the Lord from henceforth: Yea, saith the Spirit, that they may rest from their labours; and their works

Romans 6:17-18---King James Version
17 But God be thanked, that ye were the servants of sin, but ye have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you.
18 Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness.

That still connects works with His grace.

Was this the form of doctrine which was delivered--which delivered man from sin--through His Blood?

Acts 2:38---King James Version
38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Paul probably had a testimony of that--don't you think?

Acts 22:12-16---King James Version
12 And one Ananias, a devout man according to the law, having a good report of all the Jews which dwelt there,
13 Came unto me, and stood, and said unto me, Brother Saul, receive thy sight. And the same hour I looked up upon him.
14 And he said, The God of our fathers hath chosen thee, that thou shouldest know his will, and see that Just One, and shouldest hear the voice of his mouth.
15 For thou shalt be his witness unto all men of what thou hast seen and heard.
16 And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord.

Wow...

So I ask you for simple questions about YOUR proof-text, Rom. 6:22:

And then you IGNORE the most important part of v.17 (as I knew you would):

Romans 6:17-18---King James Version
17 But God be thanked, that ye were the servants of sin, but ye have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you.
18 Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness.

Why do you think Paul thinks GOD should be thanked, if the result is based on OUR actions?

That still connects works with His grace.

Was this the form of doctrine which was delivered--which delivered man from sin--through His Blood?

38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

... and then you RAN AWAY to Acts 2:38.
It's like pulling teeth trying to get you to STICK to ONE passage.

Acts 22:12-16---King James Version
12 And one Ananias, a devout man according to the law, having a good report of all the Jews which dwelt there,
13 Came unto me, and stood, and said unto me, Brother Saul, receive thy sight. And the same hour I looked up upon him.
14 And he said, The God of our fathers hath chosen thee, that thou shouldest know his will, and see that Just One, and shouldest hear the voice of his mouth.
15 For thou shalt be his witness unto all men of what thou hast seen and heard.
16 And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord.

And then you RUN AWAY to Acts 22!
It's like pulling teeth trying to get you to stick to ONE passage.

Hey, Costello... Can we stick to one passage and not come off it?
Or do you concede that Rom. 6 refutes your false theology?

Merry Christmas, Organ.

I have been asked twice--and I gave the answer twice: IE--

any truth which pertains to eternal life.

Such as:

You have given no answer that means anything. A Unitarian Universalist who believes anything and everything leads to eternal life could state the same thing. I want to know what the Gospel is. When you 17-year-old "elders" come knocking on my door, what will they say the Gospel is? Any truth that leads to eternal life? If so, there is no point sending out those barely-able to shave teenagers. Yours is a generic and pathetic answer.

I am persuaded, you simply do not know the answer.

27 Which gospel is the gospel of repentance and of baptism, and the remission of sins, and the law of carnal commandments,
Ah, yes, baptism. The LDS downfall.

Seems like the LDS corners the market and is the only people who can administer baptism.

Two priests or Melchizedek Priesthood holders witness each baptism to make sure it is performed properly. The baptism must be repeated if the words are not spoken exactly as given in Doctrine and Covenants 20:73 or if part of the person’s body or clothing is not immersed completely. LDS source

Instructions for Performing a Baptism​

Under the direction of the presiding authority, a priest or Melchizedek Priesthood holder may perform the ordinance of baptism. To do so, he:

1. Stands in the water with the person to be baptized.
  2. Holds the person’s right wrist with his left hand (for convenience and safety); the person who is being baptized holds the priesthood holder’s left wrist with his or her left hand.
  3. Raises his right arm to the square.
  4. States the person’s full name and says, “Having been commissioned of Jesus Christ, I baptize you in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. Amen” (Doctrine and Covenants 20:73).
  5. Has the person hold his or her nose with the right hand (for convenience); then the priesthood holder places his right hand high on the person’s back and immerses the person completely, including the person’s clothing.
  6. Helps the person come up out of the water.

If you didn't do it correctly...as the LDS says you must do...then you missed out on the Gospel of baptism.
What does this mean? If you are not a Mormon and baptized the correct way....you can't be saved.

Bascially the Mormon doctrine says if you are not a Mormon and their gospel is not part of your salvation...you're lost.

You have given no answer that means anything.

It means something for me--and that is who you asked the question of. I'm not asking you to hitch to my wagon--but if you ask for my wheels--then that's what you will get. That's how country boys roll.

A Unitarian Universalist who believes anything and everything leads to eternal life could state the same thing.

Maybe--but you didn't ask a Universalist, nor someone who believes anything and everything leads to eternal life--you asked me. I answered the best I could.

I want to know what the Gospel is.

And--if you are inquiring of me--I have already responded to that question three times--it's the truths which are associated with eternal life.

I'm not sure there is any end to those truths, in mortality.

When you 17-year-old "elders" come knocking on my door, what will they say the Gospel is?

You will have to ask them--everyone might be a little different on how they answer that question. One thing for sure--I believe all Christians can agree eternal life is because of Jesus Christ.

Any truth that leads to eternal life? If so, there is no point sending out those barely-able to shave teenagers. Yours is a generic and pathetic answer.

I am persuaded, you simply do not know the answer.

I do not know all things--but I do know what God has revealed:

You will have to ask them--everyone might be a little different on how they answer that question. One thing for sure--I believe all Christians can agree eternal life is because of Jesus Christ.
...and you MUST be baptized according to LDS doctrine.

Ah, yes, baptism. The LDS downfall.

The LDS follow the Biblical testimony--and one can't suffer a downfall if they follow those doctrines:

Something the faith alone reject, for the main.

Seems like the LDS corners the market and is the only people who can administer baptism.

Anyone can administer baptism--the question is--who has the authority from God to do so?

So--I have a question for you:

If you lived in the NT first century--and Paul approached you, taught you the gospel, and invited you to be baptized--and you refused, stating you would just get your mother to baptize you--would that be an authoritative baptism?

How many denominations did God have in the NT--and were they led by the living, mortal apostles and prophets--Jesus Christ being the Chief Corner Stone? Who possessed authority from God--outside of those appointed in God's lone denomination? Where do we find anything about numerous denominations--with differing theologies--all being God's church? All having authority from God?

Acts 16:4-5---King James Version
4 And as they went through the cities, they delivered them the decrees for to keep, that were ordained of the apostles and elders which were at Jerusalem.
5 And so were the churches established in the faith, and increased in number daily.

...and you MUST be baptized according to LDS doctrine.

Which is--

If you lived in the NT first century--and Paul approached you, taught you the gospel, and invited you to be baptized--and you refused, stating you would just get your mother to baptize you--would that be an authoritative baptism?
Yes. As long as she is a believer.

As a mormon you would have to agree with your LDS doctrine...but you are contradicting it.

Yes. As long as she is a believer.

As a mormon you would have to agree with your LDS doctrine...but you are contradicting it.
Go read THE LDS DOCTRINE..I copied and pasted from the LDS site.

Did you not read it?

Did Paul have "Two priests or Melchizedek Priesthood holders witness each baptism to make sure it is performed properly?"

dberrie "If you lived in the NT first century--and Paul approached you, taught you the gospel, and invited you to be baptized--and you refused, stating you would just get your mother to baptize you--would that be an authoritative baptism?"

CrowCross said: Yes. As long as she is a believer.

Then you won't mind giving us the scripture where women specifically baptized in the NT church?

It means something for me--and that is who you asked the question of. I'm not asking you to hitch to my wagon--but if you ask for my wheels--then that's what you will get. That's how country boys roll.

Maybe--but you didn't ask a Universalist, nor someone who believes anything and everything leads to eternal life--you asked me. I answered the best I could.

And--if you are inquiring of me--I have already responded to that question three times--it's the truths which are associated with eternal life.

I'm not sure there is any end to those truths, in mortality.

I do not know all things--but I do know what God has revealed:

So in short, you can't give me a succinct answer to what should be an easy question. It apparently is complicated-- very complicated. But the bottom line is as a Mormon you can't give me an answer that is clear and straightforward. So if your Gospel is so complicated and obtuse, why would anybody want it?

Perhaps the question should also include, what does gospel mean? Can you actually define "gospel"?

Last edited:
Back