The best recipes I ever lost

Janice Bower

There were three: Grand Diplôme Pistachio Rice Salad, Orange Raisin Steamed Pudding, South of the Border Potato Salad. I have the pudding mold, but my husband accidentally put the recipe in the trash when he was cleaning the kitchen years and years ago. :(

There were three: Grand Diplôme Pistachio Rice Salad, Orange Raisin Steamed Pudding, South of the Border Potato Salad. I have the pudding mold, but my husband accidentally put the recipe in the trash when he was cleaning the kitchen years and years ago. :(

They sound yummy.

Can you adapt another recipe eg https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/146634/parsley-pistachio-rice-salad/

I mean by that do you sort of remember what when in it. Can you adapt one of these recipes.

I have to be honest with my food intolerances. I am always having to adapt recipes. I cannot have onions or garlic. I use chives, the green part of spring onions and a garlic favoured oil with no garlic pieces in it.

I so miss onions and feel a pang of jealously as my husband fries some up for his dinner.

My nonna made fish balls. None of us were in love with fish but boy we would fight over these fish balls. Also her sauce was yummy. I have not found anything quite like it, there is a Jewish shop that sells fish balls that are nearly the same but are missing something. Not sure what. I never really sauce her make them. I think she finely shredded white bait but not sure. I was not really allowed in her kitchen.

Thank you!

That Steamed Orange Pudding looks good. It's slightly different, but still looks good. Mine had flour instead of bread and I don't remember any marmalade. But I hadn't made it often enough to be sure about the marmalade.

Some meds that the doctor had me on stole my memory! I got checked for Alzheimer's and don't have it.

My late husband didn't like onions except in some tomato sauce over pasta. I made two potato salads each time, half for him and half for me. And half of my meatloaf had onions, the other half none. :)

Last edited:
Thank you!

That Steamed Orange Pudding looks good. It's slightly different, but still looks good. Mine had flour instead of bread and I don't remember any marmalade. But I hadn't made it often enough to be sure about the marmalade.

Some meds that the doctor had me on stole my memory! I got checked for Alzheimer's and don't have it.

My late husband didn't like onions except in some tomato sauce over pasta. I made two potato salads each time, half for him and half for me. And half of my meatloaf had onions, the other half none. :)
I love onions they don't love me. I am meds that are affecting my taste buds. I love a cup of tea, but my taste buds are not picking up on the taste. It is very sad.

My husband is a great cook and has adapted with the things I can eat like chives to make meals tasty. The other day it was like eating in a restaurant. He made a simplified chicken sorrentino. It was great.

I love onions they don't love me. I am meds that are affecting my taste buds. I love a cup of tea, but my taste buds are not picking up on the taste. It is very sad.

My husband is a great cook and has adapted with the things I can eat like chives to make meals tasty. The other day it was like eating in a restaurant. He made a simplified chicken sorrentino. It was great.
Bless you! And indeed you are! A husband who cooks!

As for tasteless tea ---- I can no longer smell any of the lilacs I planted! What happened? :(

As for tasteless tea ---- I can no longer smell any of the lilacs I planted! What happened? :(
I love the smell of plants but if I smell then sneezing follows. I can not have lillies in the house. Major problem for my nose. They look so pretty.

Yes I am blessed but he complained so much about my cooking I let him have the pleasure. I am not sure he sees it as a blessing.

Sorry I got interrupted with our grocery delivery.

I pray that you have a year full of blessings.

You are right the Lord led me out of the RCC. I found out Jesus loved me and He saved me. I have a wonderful husband, who has had to take on looking after me more than I ever expected. I have a wonderful family and grand children who love to see us. You are right I am blessed.

I studied RCC for a short while, haven been to the Vatican, and then stumbled into Mormonism where I was stuck for several years. High Five.

I studied RCC for a short while, haven been to the Vatican, and then stumbled into Mormonism where I was stuck for several years. High Five.
It is good to know what others believe but it is great to escape their clutches when they are not the truth. The Holy Spirit holds on to those who are His.

I haven't been to the Vatican and have no desire to. Mind you I am now pass travelling overseas, so those goals of seeing the world have passed. I would love to see the art work that is in the hands of the RC.

That should say "Have been to the vatican." I don't travel anymore either. I was seventeen when I went there with my dad.

My husband likes to cook once a week for me, too, and has been doing so since the summer of 2017, a year after he retired. But he hasn't cooked for me since early last summer, after he slipped into phase 3 of his CLL. He is undergoing treatment for it and is doing very well, and most of his blood values are normal now, except for his red blood cell count. It is a little low, which makes him tire easily, so he hasn't been able to cook anything for me, other than the usual grilling of steak and burgers. He hopes to resume cooking for me once a week, maybe when he is finished with his infusion chemo, by March or April. :)

As for not being able to smell lilacs....several things can cause loss of smell--certain meds, colds, allergies, and of course, covid-19. I presume you do NOT have the latter, LOL! Are you on any allergy meds, by any chance?

Last edited:
PISTACHIO RICE SALAD!

1 1/4 cups long grain rice
1/2 cup shelled pistachio nuts
1/2 cup currants or raisins

DRESSING

6 tablespoons oil
2 tablespoons vinegar
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
salt and pepper

Cook rice in plenty of boiling water for 10-12 minures or until just tender. Drain and rinse it thoroughly with hot water. Drain again. Turn onto large
flat platter and leave to dry. Split pistachios if necessary. Mix rice, pistachios and currants. Moisten with the dressing.

Grand Diplome, Vol. 1, p. 95

Last edited:

That's such a shame about the meds. I learned that statins cause memory loss, so I got off of them.

My husband likes to cook once a week for me, too, and has been doing so since the summer of 2017, a year after he retired. But he hasn't cooked for me since early last summer, after he slipped into phase 3 of his CLL. He is undergoing treatment for it and is doing very well, and most of his blood values are normal now, except for his red blood cell count. It is a little low, which makes him tire easily, so he hasn't been able to cook anything for me, other than the usual grilling of steak and burgers. He hopes to resume cooking for me once a week, maybe when he is finished with his infusion chemo, by March or April. :)

As for not being able to smell lilacs....several things can cause loss of smell--certain meds, colds, allergies, and of course, covid-19. I presume you do NOT have the latter, LOL! Are you on any allergy meds, by any chance?
Praying for your husband.

I bought my husband a grill one year, but he didn't enjoy grilling so I had to use it myself. :(

I'm allergic to dogs and cats, mold, and all kinds of pollen. I just try to avoid them. If I'm around a dog or cat, I'm okay as long as I don't touch them. Raking autumn leaves makes my nose run.

I had 2 Pfizer vaccines, and haven't had Covid-19 or the variants.

PISTACHIO RICE SALAD!

1 1/4 cups long grain rice
1/2 cup shelled pistachio nuts
1/2 cup currants or raisins
That's such a shame about the meds. I learned that statins cause memory loss, so I got off of them.

DRESSING

6 tablespoons oil
2 tablespoons vinegar
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
salt and pepper

Cook rice in plenty of boiling water for 10-12 minures or until just tender. Drain and rinse it thoroughly with hot water. Drain again. Turn onto large
flat platter and leave to dry. Split pistachios if necessary. Mix rice, pistachios and currants. Moisten with the dressing.

Grand Diplome, Vol. 1, p. 95
Hmm that looks so tasty.

Back