Australian Pines Invasive and Unwanted in Florida

Janice Bower

I remember walking barefoot to the beach --- OUCH! We walked on crushed shells and the little prickly "cones" that dropped from those trees. They aren't really pines, but that's what everyone called them.

They have plenty of nicknames but this is the species:

Casuarina spp.​

I have heard of them. It is almost never a good idea to transplant some plants (or animals) to areas where they were never meant to be. They can become invasive, especially if they have no known enemies. I think I have seen these same plants on islands in the Caribbean when we have been on cruises. I think they are supposed to cut down on soil erosion with hurricanes.

I have heard of them. It is almost never a good idea to transplant some plants (or animals) to areas where they were never meant to be. They can become invasive, especially if they have no known enemies. I think I have seen these same plants on islands in the Caribbean when we have been on cruises. I think they are supposed to cut down on soil erosion with hurricanes.
When I was younger, I loved to garden and planted flowering trees. The nurseries don't tell you if the trees come from other countries or if they're invasive. Fortunately I couldn't afford as many trees as I wanted. But another tree (mulberry) was showing up in my flower beds. No one I knew had planted any, but possibly years ago someone had them in the U. S. They are absolutely horrible! They show up right next to our houses and grow really fast. They aren't easy to dig out. I had a few behind my hydrangeas. i accidentally killed one of the hydrangeas digging out an unwanted mulberry tree. Another invasive plant around here is honeysuckle. I think people know that poison ivy can show up anywhere and it does!

I agree that animals can be a problem. Florida has dangerous snakes that were pets people turned loose. I have relatives in Florida.

Last edited:
One variety of mulberry--red mulberry--is native to the US, and so far as I know, isn't invasive. I have one in my backyard, but it isn't a nuisance. It rarely gets berries on it. What kind did you have in your garden?

Back