Thought Experiment

Let's say three men approach, each holding an ancient tome. The first says, "God is real! The truth is in The Bible. And I have personally experienced God" The second says, "Allah is real! The truth is in The Koran. And I have personally experienced Allah." The third says, "Lord Shiva is real!" God is real! The truth is in the Vedas. And I have personally experienced Shiva"

How would you go about figuring out which, if any, to believe?

Why would someone believe the Christian but reject the Hindu and the Muslim?

Most likely because they too like me and the first guy have personally experienced the God of the Bible, but like me and your first guy have NOT personally experience Allah or Shiva.

Let's say three men approach, each holding an ancient tome. The first says, "God is real! The truth is in The Bible. And I have personally experienced God" The second says, "Allah is real! The truth is in The Koran. And I have personally experienced Allah." The third says, "Lord Shiva is real!" God is real! The truth is in the Vedas. And I have personally experienced Shiva"

I agree with Discerner and Stiggy wiggy.
But I would add that you should read all of their holy books to see what each one's God is all about as well as see which one answers your prayer.
Oh and when you pray to the Christian God, call on the name of Jesus.

I would suggest most people believe the one who is preaching what they heard as children. If you are told the Bible is true as a child, you believe the Christian, if you are told the Koran is true, you believe the second guy.

This is why the vast majority of theists have the same religion as the family they were raised in.

T

Three of the world's largest religions ALL agree that there is a Higher Power?

Hmmm.

I guess we can only speculate if such a humongous mass of peer reviewed, multiple-attestation corroborates the God hypothesis.

Three of the world's largest religions ALL agree that there is a Higher Power?

Hmmm.

I guess we can only speculate if such a humongous mass of peer reviewed, multiple-attestation corroborates the God hypothesis.
What exactly has been reviewed? What was the methodology the peers used in the review?

If I have multiple experiences, I would have to determine which one was deceiving me, and I think the only way would be to keep asking the true God to show me which entities were deceiving me, I don't think I could figure it out on my own.
This method does not rule out the possibility that all of these experiences are misapprehensions with which no god was involved.

"Which god is real?" assumes that one of them is.

Ah... but there is a scripture with the answer to this question.

There was a tribe called the Kalamas in ancient India, and they complained:

"There are some monks and brahmans, venerable sir, who visit us. They expound and explain only their own doctrines; the doctrines of others they despise, revile, and pull to pieces. Some other monks and brahmans too, venerable sir, come to us. They also expound and explain only their own doctrines; the doctrines of others they despise, revile, and pull to pieces. Venerable sir, there is doubt, there is uncertainty in us concerning them. Which of these reverend monks and brahmans spoke the truth and which falsehood?"​

Every religion proclaims its own truth, and the error of others. The Kalamas asked a reasonable question: How do we tell which one is correct?

The answer given was:

"Yes, Kalamas, it is proper that you have doubt, that you have perplexity, for a doubt has arisen in a matter which is doubtful. Now, look you Kalamas, do not be led by reports, or tradition, or hearsay. Be not led by the authority of religious texts, nor by mere logic or inference, nor by considering appearances, nor by the delight in speculative opinions, nor by seeming possibilities, nor by the idea 'this is our teacher'. Kalamas, when you yourselves know: 'These things are bad; these things are blameable; these things are censured by the wise; undertaken and observed, these things lead to harm and ill,' abandon them. ... Kalamas, when you yourselves know: 'These things are good; these things are not blameable; these things are praised by the wise; undertaken and observed, these things lead to benefit and happiness,' enter on and abide in them."​

That is a good answer because it is not simply asserting "My religion is right and the others are wrong." It is advice to try things for themselves and see what works. Yes, what you try should be limited by "praised/censured by the wise", but that still leaves a great range of possibilities.

See the Kalama sutta, Anguttara Nikaya, 3.65 for more details.

Maybe neither of us is.
Maybe there's no such thing.
Lot of "maybe".
Deep down you know there is a God.

here's a snippet of truth from Romans 1....
19 For what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. 20 For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood from His workmanship, so that men are without excuse.

You can call Gods bluff if you want.

Back