Different types of Calvinism

So you're claiming that Johnny Mac is anti-sola-Scriptura?
The strawmen continue , unbelievable. And evasion is all they seem to do in unison . I wish you luck breaking through to them .

And the irony is my beliefs are identical to Macs with the one exception of the wrath. Prior to that for the past 30 years I have lined up with his theology pretty much identically.

Last edited by a moderator:
Connecting the dots of the Old Covenant with the New Covenant. This is for those who are not CLOSED MINDED.

John Mac is the man ! :)

One with the gift of teaching and exhortation from the Holy Spirit.

hope this helps !!!

Gotta Love Mac

"Among those who most strongly insist that God is through with the nation of Israel are those whose theology is commonly referred to as covenant theology. It is ironic that, because of a distorted view of Israel, covenant theology cannot escape the implication that God is not faithful in fully honoring His covenants." :love:

"The Bible calls God “The God of Israel” over 200 times— the God of Israel. There are over 2000 references to Israel in Scripture. Not one of them means anything but Israel. Not one of them, including Romans 9: 6 and Galatians 6: 16, which are the only two passages that Amillennialists go to, to try to convince us that these passages cancel out the other 2000. There is no difficulty in interpreting those as simply meaning Jews who were believers, “the Israel of God.” Israel always means Israel; it never means anything but Israel. Seventy-three New Testament uses of Israel always mean Israel.” :love:

Preach it brother !

And John Murray's work on Romans is considered by most Scholars one of the best commentaries ever written. He also sees cough cough as a Calvinist Israel as a people/nation still having a plan i the future as God covenant people via His promises to them as a nation. ope this helps !!!

I'm enjoying digging through my commentaries and taking them off the shelf. It sure beats google. :love:

Now Murray will become a heretic to certain individuals. :ROFLMAO:

As the thread says there are different types of " Calvinists" that don't fit into ones BOX they would have you believe they need to be placed into. If you are not in their ( calvinist ) box you are deemed a heretic.

And John Murray's work on Romans is considered by most Scholars one of the best commentaries ever written. He also sees cough cough as a Calvinist Israel as a people/nation still having a plan i the future as God covenant people via His promises to them as a nation. ope this helps !!!

I'm enjoying digging through my commentaries and taking them off the shelf. It sure beats google. :love:

Now Murray will become a heretic to certain individuals. :ROFLMAO:

As the thread says there are different types of " Calvinists" that don't fit into ones BOX they would have you believe they need to be placed into. If you are not in their ( calvinist ) box you are deemed a heretic.
Wow! Who called Mac a heretic.
I can’t see where anyone says such a thing.

Gotta Love Mac

"Among those who most strongly insist that God is through with the nation of Israel are those whose theology is commonly referred to as covenant theology. It is ironic that, because of a distorted view of Israel, covenant theology cannot escape the implication that God is not faithful in fully honoring His covenants." :love:

"The Bible calls God “The God of Israel” over 200 times— the God of Israel. There are over 2000 references to Israel in Scripture. Not one of them means anything but Israel. Not one of them, including Romans 9: 6 and Galatians 6: 16, which are the only two passages that Amillennialists go to, to try to convince us that these passages cancel out the other 2000. There is no difficulty in interpreting those as simply meaning Jews who were believers, “the Israel of God.” Israel always means Israel; it never means anything but Israel. Seventy-three New Testament uses of Israel always mean Israel.” :love:

Preach it brother !
Hey Mac can’t be right about everything. Sorry

I took these definitions from a post on the puritan board. I will link it at the bottom. Below are some distinctions in "Calvinism" and even Lutheran/Arminian. I consider myself high/ultra high Calvinist. Where does this chart place you? There seems to be much confusion and speaking past each other regarding some of these terms.

Hyper-Calvinism: Beliefs: God is the author of sin and man has no responsibility before God. The Gospel should only preached to the elect. i.e. duty faith. and anti-missionary Belief in the five points is a prerequisite for true salvation, also known as Neo-Gnostic Calvinism. Proponents: Joseph Hussey John Skepp and some English primitive Baptists.

Ultra High Calvinism: Beliefs: That the elect are in some sense eternally justified. A denial of: The Well– Meant Offer; Common Grace; and God having any love for the non-elect. Proponents: John Gill, some ministers in the Protestant Reformed Church of America

High Calvinism: Beliefs: That God in no sense desires to save the reprobate, Most deny the Well-Meant Offer. Supralapsarian viewing God’s decrees. All hold to limited atonement. Most believe in particular grace and see the atonement as sufficient only for the elect. Proponents: Theodore Beza, Gordon Clark, Arthur Pink

Moderate Calvinism: Beliefs: That God does in some sense desires to save the reprobate, Infralapsarian in viewing God’s decrees. Affirms Common Grace. Proponents: John Calvin (some argue that he was a High-Calvinist), John Murray, RL Dabney

Low Calvinism: Beliefs: That Christ died for all in a legal sense, so one can speak of Christ dying for the non-elect. That God has two distinct wills. Affirms the Well-Meant Offer and Common Grace, Proponents: Amyraldrians , RT Kendal

Lutheranism: Beliefs: That Calvinist over emphasize God Sovereignty over man’s responsibility. That Christ died for all in legal sense, that some are predestined on to life but none are predestined onto death. That the sacraments are means of grace regardless of one’s faith. Proponents: Martin Luther, Philipp Melanchthon, Rod Rosenbladt

American Baptist: Beliefs: That God has given man libertarian freedom, that God’s knowledge of future is based on His foreknowledge. That Christ died for all and desires all to be saved. Once a persons believes the gospel, he is eternally secure. Rejects Calvinism, some would even call it heretical. Proponents: Jerry Falwell, Adrian Rogers

Arminianism Beliefs: That God has given man libertarian freedom, that God’s knowledge of future is solely based on His foreknowledge. That Christ died for all and desires all to be saved. A person can fall from the state of grace i.e. lose ones salvation, since it is our free will that chooses Christ at conversion. Proponents: Jacob Arminius, John Wesley some Methodists

And Classical Calvinism, which I am.

Gotta Love Mac

Preach it brother !
Though I disagree with dispensationalism I also agree God is not through with Israel.

Romans 11:25-32 (ESV)
25 Lest you be wise in your own sight, I do not want you to be unaware of this mystery, brothers: a partial hardening has come upon Israel, until the fullness of the Gentiles has come in.
26 And in this way all Israel will be saved, as it is written, “The Deliverer will come from Zion, he will banish ungodliness from Jacob”;
27 “and this will be my covenant with them when I take away their sins.”
28 As regards the gospel, they are enemies for your sake. But as regards election, they are beloved for the sake of their forefathers.
29 For the gifts and the calling of God are irrevocable.
30 For just as you were at one time disobedient to God but now have received mercy because of their disobedience,
31 so they too have now been disobedient in order that by the mercy shown to you they also may now receive mercy.
32 For God has consigned all to disobedience, that he may have mercy on all.

I think a problem arises when we attempt to restrict the the bible to our systematic theology rather than form our theology from the bible

Wow! Who called Mac a heretic.
I can’t see where anyone says such a thing.
Exactly, no one is suggesting the things he is alleging.

There is only one calling certain Calvinists heretics and has done so for the past couple of weeks...perhaps others joining in with their support.

So much for ridiculing others for calling others heretics.

Though I disagree with dispensationalism I also agree God is not through with Israel.

Romans 11:25-32 (ESV)
25 Lest you be wise in your own sight, I do not want you to be unaware of this mystery, brothers: a partial hardening has come upon Israel, until the fullness of the Gentiles has come in.
26 And in this way all Israel will be saved, as it is written, “The Deliverer will come from Zion, he will banish ungodliness from Jacob”;
27 “and this will be my covenant with them when I take away their sins.”
28 As regards the gospel, they are enemies for your sake. But as regards election, they are beloved for the sake of their forefathers.
29 For the gifts and the calling of God are irrevocable.
30 For just as you were at one time disobedient to God but now have received mercy because of their disobedience,
31 so they too have now been disobedient in order that by the mercy shown to you they also may now receive mercy.
32 For God has consigned all to disobedience, that he may have mercy on all.

I think a problem arises when we attempt to restrict the the bible to our systematic theology rather than form our theology from the bible
Amen and neither does God think He is done. :)

I think that was taken out of context. I thought so, too, but went back and listened and read the transcript, and think that was nit what he stated. I will have to look that up again.
Wow, well, if that is the case, that's a good thing.

Now get busy and find the answer. :LOL:

Seems to never end.

But I wouldn’t worry to much, we all know it’s the dispensationalists who have an issue with sola scripture

Seems to never end.

But I wouldn’t worry to much, we all know it’s the dispensationalists who have an issue with sola scripture

Good grief, I just learned about what it means to be a dispensationalist and now I can't remember what I learned. What is it again?

Does eternal go back in time as well as forward?
Yes, before time, although I do not believe in eternal justification. I don't see it as a gospel issue unless one says faith is not a fruit of regeneration. That would concern me.

I believe John Gill affirmed eternal justification, and Spurgeon seemed to disagree, that justification happens at the cross, if I recall correctly.

Back