Appointed to Eternal Life !

G

guest1

Acts 13:48
When the Gentiles heard this, they began rejoicing and glorifying the word of the Lord; and as many as had been appointed to eternal life believed.

God
is the one who ordained them to Eternal Life out of that crowd of people. And not everyone there was appointed to Eternal life, only those who were appointed believed. The gentiles believing was the RESULT of their being ordained to Eternal life by God and not the cause of it. The believed because they were ordained/appointed to Eternal life.

The Greek word for "appointed"/"ordained" - τάσσω carries the idea of direct appointment, designation by choice. "primarily a military term meaning 'to draw up in order, arrange in place, assign, appoint, order' "

Strong's Concordance 5021
tassó: to draw up in order, arrange
Original Word: τάσσω
Part of Speech: Verb
Transliteration: tassó
Phonetic Spelling: (tas'-so)
Definition: to draw up in order, arrange
Usage: (a) I assign, arrange, (b) I determine; mid: I appoint.

Here are some usages of appointed below.

Matthew 28:16
"16
Then the eleven disciples went away into Galilee, to the mountain which Jesus had appointed for them.

Jesus had designated a specific mountain to which they were to go to. They were appointed by the Lord to a specific place. The word carries the idea of direct appointment.

Luke 7:8
For I also am a man placed under authority, having soldiers under me. And I say to one, ‘Go,’ and he goes; and to another, ‘Come,’ and he comes; and to my servant, ‘Do this,’ and he does it.

The Centurion had been specifically appointed by his governemnt to a position of authority. It wasnt something he was merely 'disposed' to do. He was appointed to his position by Ceasar.

Acts 15:2
Therefore, when Paul and Barnabas had no small dissension and dispute with them, they determined that Paul and Barnabas and certain others of them should go up to Jerusalem, to the apostles and elders, about this question."

Paul and Barnabas (and a few others) were specifically selected - appointed by the commitee - to go to Jerusalem. Again, the word implies direct appointing involving a specific choice of individuals.

Acts 22:10
So I said, ‘What shall I do, Lord?’ And the Lord said to me, ‘Arise and go into Damascus, and there you will be told all things which are appointed for you to do.’

Paul was to receive specific instruction for specific things that the Lord wanted him to do...not merely what he might be 'disposed' to do. Paul was appointed by the Lord to a specific ministry.

Acts 28:23
So when they had appointed him a day, many came to him at his lodging, to whom he explained and solemnly testified of the kingdom of God, persuading them concerning Jesus from both the Law of Moses and the Prophets, from morning till evening."

The leaders of the Jews at Rome had selected - appointed - a specific day on which they would come to Paul and hear what he had to say...and on that day they went to hear him. Again the word carries the idea of specific designation and selection.

Romans 13:1
Let every soul be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and the authorities that exist are appointed by God."

The authorities that exist are not there by accident, nor merely because they are 'disposed' to be there. They are specifically appointed by God. That ties right into His Sovereignty. God is in absolute control. So when it says that they were "appointed to Eternal life", it is clear that they were appointed to Eternal life By God and that is why they believed.

hope this helps !!!

When the Gentiles heard this, they began rejoicing and glorifying the word of the Lord; and as many as had been appointed to eternal life believed.

God
is the one who ordained them to Eternal Life out of that crowd of people. And not everyone there was appointed to Eternal life, only those who were appointed believed....
Those who besought the gospel, who were glad and glorified the word were appointed to eternal life:
Acts 13:42 And when the Jews were gone out of the synagogue, the Gentiles besought that these words might be preached to them the next sabbath.
Act 13:48 And when the Gentiles heard this, they were glad, and glorified the word of the Lord: and as many as were ordained to eternal life believed.

Those who besought the gospel, who were glad and glorified the word were appointed to eternal life:
Acts 13:42 And when the Jews were gone out of the synagogue, the Gentiles besought that these words might be preached to them the next sabbath.
Act 13:48 And when the Gentiles heard this, they were glad, and glorified the word of the Lord: and as many as were ordained to eternal life believed.
The reason why they besought the words of God is because they had been appointed to eternal life. Also they had been born again.

The reason why they besought the words of God is because they had been appointed to eternal life. Also they had been born again.
Nothing is stated on what basis they were appointed if appointed be te correct translationher

Was it God's foreknowledge ?

Was it their already existing relationship with God ?

Rom. 8:28–29 —KJV
“And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.
¶ For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.”

The text does not say

Nor does it say they were unconditionally elected to salvation

that remains an assumption

and a doctrine which is nowhere clearly stated in scripture

Nothing is stated on what basis they were appointed if appointed be te correct translationher

“And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.
¶ For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.”

The text does not say

Kind of like the trinity, right?

The text does not say

Men by nature dont seek the True God, so not the True Christ. When one is a spiritual newborn, then they desire the word. This was also prophesied Rom 15 12

And again, Esaias saith, There shall be a root of Jesse, and he that shall rise to reign over the Gentiles; in him shall the Gentiles trust. Cp Isa 11:10

Isa 60 3-5

And the Gentiles shall come to thy light,
and kings to the brightness of thy rising.
4 Lift up thine eyes round about, and see:
all they gather themselves together, they come to thee:
thy sons shall come from far,
and thy daughters shall be nursed at thy side.
5 Then thou shalt see, and flow together,
and thine heart shall fear, and be enlarged;
because the abundance of the sea shall be converted unto thee,
the forces of the Gentiles shall come unto thee.

Matt 12 21

A bruised reed shall he not break, and smoking flax shall he not quench, till he send forth judgment unto victory. 21 And in his name shall the Gentiles trust.

Men by nature dont seek the True God, so not the True Christ. When one is a spiritual newborn, then they desire the word. This was also prophesied Rom 15 12

And again, Esaias saith, There shall be a root of Jesse, and he that shall rise to reign over the Gentiles; in him shall the Gentiles trust. Cp Isa 11:10

Isa 60 3-5

And the Gentiles shall come to thy light,
and kings to the brightness of thy rising.
4 Lift up thine eyes round about, and see:
all they gather themselves together, they come to thee:
thy sons shall come from far,
and thy daughters shall be nursed at thy side.
5 Then thou shalt see, and flow together,
and thine heart shall fear, and be enlarged;
because the abundance of the sea shall be converted unto thee,
the forces of the Gentiles shall come unto thee.

Matt 12 21

A bruised reed shall he not break, and smoking flax shall he not quench, till he send forth judgment unto victory. 21 And in his name shall the Gentiles trust.
But he seeks them

and they respond as the gentiles did

Men by nature dont seek the True God, so not the True Christ. ...
God says otherwise:
Acts 17:26 And hath made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth, and hath determined the times before appointed, and the bounds of their habitation;
Acts 17:27 That they should seek the Lord, if haply they might feel after him, and find him, though he be not far from every one of us:

God says otherwise:
Acts 17:26 And hath made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth, and hath determined the times before appointed, and the bounds of their habitation;
Acts 17:27 That they should seek the Lord, if haply they might feel after him, and find him, though he be not far from every one of us:
Thats the Elect, they shall seek God after they are born again.

Man by nature doesnt seek God Rom 3 11

11 there is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God.

This is not the trinity board

If that is your interest there is a board for that
I am surprised you don't realize that I am calling you out on your standards which, if you took unilaterally, you would have to deny the trinity, because you will not find it explicitly in any verse in scripture. You can find it woven throughout scripture, just beneath the surface, exactly where you will find God's unconditional choice. Paul alludes to this throughout scripture, and probably realized that believers of His age understood it, so He didn't waste ink in being explicit about something everyone already believed.

I am surprised you don't realize that I am calling you out on your standards which, if you took unilaterally, you would have to deny the trinity, because you will not find it explicitly in any verse in scripture. You can find it woven throughout scripture, just beneath the surface, exactly where you will find God's unconditional choice. Paul alludes to this throughout scripture, and probably realized that believers of His age understood it, so He didn't waste ink in being explicit about something everyone already believed.
If you want to call me out call me out on the topic of the board. I disagree with your assertion it is woven throughout scripture

God
is the one who ordained them to Eternal Life out of that crowd of people. And not everyone there was appointed to Eternal life, only those who were appointed believed. The gentiles believing was the RESULT of their being ordained to Eternal life by God and not the cause of it. The believed because they were ordained/appointed to Eternal life.

The Greek word for "appointed"/"ordained" - τάσσω carries the idea of direct appointment, designation by choice. "primarily a military term meaning 'to draw up in order, arrange in place, assign, appoint, order' "

"16
Then the eleven disciples went away into Galilee, to the mountain which Jesus had appointed for them.

Jesus had designated a specific mountain to which they were to go to. They were appointed by the Lord to a specific place. The word carries the idea of direct appointment.

For I also am a man placed under authority, having soldiers under me. And I say to one, ‘Go,’ and he goes; and to another, ‘Come,’ and he comes; and to my servant, ‘Do this,’ and he does it.

The Centurion had been specifically appointed by his governemnt to a position of authority. It wasnt something he was merely 'disposed' to do. He was appointed to his position by Ceasar.

Therefore, when Paul and Barnabas had no small dissension and dispute with them, they determined that Paul and Barnabas and certain others of them should go up to Jerusalem, to the apostles and elders, about this question."

Paul and Barnabas (and a few others) were specifically selected - appointed by the commitee - to go to Jerusalem. Again, the word implies direct appointing involving a specific choice of individuals.

So I said, ‘What shall I do, Lord?’ And the Lord said to me, ‘Arise and go into Damascus, and there you will be told all things which are appointed for you to do.’

Paul was to receive specific instruction for specific things that the Lord wanted him to do...not merely what he might be 'disposed' to do. Paul was appointed by the Lord to a specific ministry.

So when they had appointed him a day, many came to him at his lodging, to whom he explained and solemnly testified of the kingdom of God, persuading them concerning Jesus from both the Law of Moses and the Prophets, from morning till evening."

The leaders of the Jews at Rome had selected - appointed - a specific day on which they would come to Paul and hear what he had to say...and on that day they went to hear him. Again the word carries the idea of specific designation and selection.

Let every soul be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and the authorities that exist are appointed by God."

The authorities that exist are not there by accident, nor merely because they are 'disposed' to be there. They are specifically appointed by God. That ties right into His Sovereignty. God is in absolute control. So when it says that they were "appointed to Eternal life", it is clear that they were appointed to Eternal life By God and that is why they believed.

hope this helps !!!

The word refers to what was orderly arranged. It was APPOINTED for Paul to preach eternal life to the Jews FIRST. He even mentions that in this passage. Upon Jewish rejection it was APPOINTED for Paul to preach eternal life to the Gentiles. Unlike the Jews who rejected the message the Gentiles accepted the message.

That is the entire point of the passage.

The word refers to what was orderly arranged. It was APPOINTED for Paul to preach eternal life to the Jews FIRST. He even mentions that in this passage. Upon Jewish rejection it was APPOINTED for Paul to preach eternal life to the Gentiles. Unlike the Jews who rejected the message the Gentiles accepted the message.

1- As many as were APPOINTED to eternal life
2- those appointed resulted in believe/faith

hope this helps !!!

Huh 🥺 what you are saying makes no sense

The text does not say

Which comes first in verse 48? Ordained or belief?

God

"16

hope this helps !!!
Other uses of Tasso
Which comes first in verse 48? Ordained or belief?

tasso

Before either was the fact the gentiles reverenced God

Back