James 2:24

Status
Not open for further replies.
“My post is not original.” You didn’t cite your sources. Guess what that makes it.

I hear the sounds of crickets chirping. We haven't as yet been able to rebut his argument or position,so let's stall for time. Instead our diversionary tactic of choice will be to make a diversion by an irrelevant attack on the person or some aspect of the person who is making the argument. Do you know what that fallacy is called? I'm a vegan so I'm not buying any of your red herrings. If you listen carefully you'll hear the Jeopardy theme music in the background. Let's all put on our thinking caps as the timer starts now. Wishing you all the best before the buzzer sounds.

I hear the sounds of crickets chirping. We haven't as yet been able to rebut his argument or position,so let's stall for time. Instead our diversionary tactic of choice will be to make a diversion by an irrelevant attack on the person or some aspect of the person who is making the argument. Do you know what that fallacy is called? I'm a vegan so I'm not buying any of your red herrings. If you listen carefully you'll hear the Jeopardy theme music in the background. Let's all put on our thinking caps as the timer starts now. Wishing you all the best before the buzzer sounds.
Bzzzzt… you lose.

Bzzzzt… you lose.

If that is your opinion--you are welcome to it.

As for me--I'm still waiting for someone to answer Mesenja's posts, IE--

"Those who are baptized enter into a covenant with God to take upon themselves the name of Jesus Christ, keep His commandments, and serve Him to the end (see Mosiah 18:8–10; Doctrine and Covenants 20:37). Church members renew this covenant each time they partake of the sacrament (see Doctrine and Covenants 20:77, 79). Those who keep the covenants they made at baptism are blessed by the Lord for their faithfulness. Some of the blessings include the constant companionship of the Holy Ghost, the remission of sins, and the privilege of being spiritually reborn. If they continue faithfully, they are promised eternal life (see 2 Nephi 31:19–20)."

If that is your opinion--you are welcome to it. As for me--I'm still waiting for someone to answer Mesenja's posts, IE--

"Those who are baptized enter into a covenant with God to take upon themselves the name of Jesus Christ, keep His commandments, and serve Him to the end (see Mosiah 18:8–10;Doctrine and Covenants 20:37). Church members renew this covenant each time they partake of the sacrament (see Doctrine and Covenants 20:77,79). Those who keep the covenants they made at baptism are blessed by the Lord for their faithfulness. Some of the blessings include the constant companionship of the Holy Ghost,the remission of sins, and the privilege of being spiritually reborn. If they continue faithfully, they are promised eternal life (see 2 Nephi 31:19–20).​

Explain to her how Jeopardy is played.

Last edited:
If that is your opinion--you are welcome to it.

As for me--I'm still waiting for someone to answer Mesenja's posts, IE--

"Those who are baptized enter into a covenant with God to take upon themselves the name of Jesus Christ, keep His commandments, and serve Him to the end (see Mosiah 18:8–10; Doctrine and Covenants 20:37). Church members renew this covenant each time they partake of the sacrament (see Doctrine and Covenants 20:77, 79). Those who keep the covenants they made at baptism are blessed by the Lord for their faithfulness. Some of the blessings include the constant companionship of the Holy Ghost, the remission of sins, and the privilege of being spiritually reborn. If they continue faithfully, they are promised eternal life (see 2 Nephi 31:19–20)."

It’s obvious you don’t understand how Jeopardy is played.

Theo1689 said:
What does your question have to do with Mormonism? Stop trying to derail discussion.
Theo1689 said:
James 2:24 A particular Mormon loves to quote James 2:24 as the "be-all-and-end-all" verse of Scripture, even using it to try to "veto" far clearer passages, such as Ephesians 2:8-9, Titus 3:5, 2 Timothy 1:9, Romans 4:1-6, Romans 11:5-6, etc. etc. etc. When a Mormon interprets a verse in a way that contradicts...
Mesenja said:It doesn't get much clearer than this. (Post #523) And it doesn't veto your so called far clearer passages, such as Ephesians 2:8-9, Titus 3:5, 2 Timothy 1:9, Romans 4:1-6, Romans 11:5-6. The Bible isn't contradictory.
Mesenja said:Am I also correct in saying that God would make the subject of salvation equally clear and understandable throughout the Bible? Yes or no.

The following explanation doesn’t work. We are saved by faith alone and as evidence that we have a true and living faith we will do the required works. If not then they really didn’t a true faith to begin with. As the body apart from the spirit is dead so faith apart from works is dead James 2:26 The apostle James uses an analogy here. The body is analogous to faith. The spirit is analogous to works. Just as it is necessary for physical life that the body and spirit be alive the same holds true for our spiritual life. We need both faith and works to be spiritually alive. Is faith without works still faith? Yes. A physical body without the spirit is still a body. A dead faith is still faith. But are you willing to acknowledge, you foolish person, that faith without works is useless? James 2:20
James 2:26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.
James 2:14 What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him?
James 2:17 Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.
James 2:20 But do you want to know, O foolish man, that faith without works is dead?
Theo1689 said:
You see, Lurkers, this is what Mormons do. They quote Scripture, but they will never explain to you what they think it MEANS. They simply want readers to assume their own meaning, and if it agrees with Mormonism, then you're right, and if it doesn't agree with Mormonism, then you're wrong.

Ephesians 2:8-10 demonstrates how God's grace, can transform us into His likeness and not a scriptural proof-text for Sola Fide. It is to be understood from a patron/client context . God is the patron. We are the client.

Paul is referring to the initial grace of justification and not our ongoing and final promised justification. (#331;#467;#456)

Titus 3:5 is referencing our initial salvation. We Have Been Saved. (1 Corinthians 6:11) We Are Being Saved. (2 Corinthians 2:15) We Shall Be Saved. (Romans 5:9-10)

We are saved by God's grace and not by any good works we have done as,you can never give to God something of equal intrinsic value to the reward He has promised to give. (Romans 11:36) . (#456) I could continue but I think your lurkers have got the point.
Theo1689 said:
claim it was a "minority" view (as if that's relevant to anything),

No I claimed that salvation by faith alone is the minority view which it is.
Theo1689 said:
and then twist the passage to try to force it to agree with your misinterpretation of James 2.

James shows that belief without proper behavior and commitment is not enough for salvation. (See James 2)

You told dberrie2020 that salvation is not by works and cited Ephesians 2:8-9; 2 Timothy 1:9; Titus 3:5, Romans 4:1-6,Romans 11:5-6. (#35) Is salvation by works supposedly my misinterpretation of James 2 as well?

You also brought up the maxim "correlation does not imply causation.” It isn't an iron clad rule. Correlation and a strong underlying reason for a link suggest causation until proven otherwise is probably the best you can get.
Theo1689 said:
That is NOT how you exegesis.

Post a Comment to Charles Pettibone. I’m sure he’ll appreciate your characterization of his post Exegeting Ephesians 2:8-10 as word salad. Maybe you can share a good laugh with him.

Last edited:
Post a Comment to Charles Pettibone. I’m sure he’ll appreciate your characterization of his post Exegeting Ephesians 2:8-10 as word salad. Maybe you can share a good laugh with him.

Why should I?
I have no clue who that is, and he's never been part of this discussion.

Or are you admitting that's who you plagiarized your post from?

Why should I? I have no clue who that is, and he's never been part of this discussion. Or are you admitting that's who you plagiarized your post from

Charles Pettibone wrote the post "Exegeting Ephesians 2:8-10" Provided the link Post a Comment as acknowledgment of this. Calling his exegesis word salad makes him part of the discussion. You also didn't respond to Belief in Jesus as Messiah + Repentance + Obedience in keeping covenants = Faith = Salvation where I clearly cited the source material used. (see #331) Please don't bother me again with any more of your excuses. as to why you won't respond to my post.

Charles Pettibone wrote the post "Exegeting Ephesians 2:8-10"

Well, I've never been to that website, so I'm not arguing with Pettibone.
So I've never called his arguments "word salad".
I called YOUR argument "word salad".

Please don't bother me again with any more of your excuses. as to why you won't respond to my post.

Now I'm confused.
Are you claiming that YOU are "Charles Pettibone"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back