Sharing of Christ sufferings

do you consider Lenten fasting as suffering?

No 100% certain that it would be considered suffering because it is self imposed. I think the purpose of fasting is to guard against gluttony and impure thoughts, deeds and words.

Why do you think Paul wanted Timothy to join him in suffering for the gospel? What did that suffering entail?

No 100% certain that it would be considered suffering because it is self imposed. I think the purpose of fasting is to guard against gluttony and impure thoughts, deeds and words.

Why do you think Paul wanted Timothy to join him in suffering for the gospel? What did that suffering entail?
BECAUSE Timothy was afraid.
he was by nature reserved and timid:
Paul reminded Timothy "For God has not given us a spirit of fear,"

Later; the 80-year-old bishop tried to halt a procession in honor of the goddess Diana by preaching the Gospel. The angry pagans beat him, dragged him through the streets, and stoned him to death.

BECAUSE Timothy was afraid.
he was by nature reserved and timid:
Paul reminded Timothy "For God has not given us a spirit of fear,"

Later; the 80-year-old bishop tried to halt a procession in honor of the goddess Diana by preaching the Gospel. The angry pagans beat him, dragged him through the streets, and stoned him to death.
That is a good answer. But there still a question. Paul said, "I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection and the sharing of his sufferings by becoming like him in his death,"

Why did Paul want to share in the Christ's suffering. Why did he want to become like him in his death? What is Paul saying here?

That is a good answer. But there still a question. Paul said, "I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection and the sharing of his sufferings by becoming like him in his death,"

Why did Paul want to share in the Christ's suffering. Why did he want to become like him in his death? What is Paul saying here?
Paul had no choice:
Acts 9:
15 But the Lord said to Ananias, “Go! This man is my chosen instrument to proclaim my name to the Gentiles and their kings and to the people of Israel. 16 I will show him how much he must suffer for my name.

Paul had no choice:
Acts 9:
15 But the Lord said to Ananias, “Go! This man is my chosen instrument to proclaim my name to the Gentiles and their kings and to the people of Israel. 16 I will show him how much he must suffer for my name.
Why did Paul have to suffer for Jesus' name?

Maybe part of the answer can be found in what Jesus said to Peter, "Very truly, I tell you, when you were younger, you used to fasten your own belt and to go wherever you wished. But when you grow old, you will stretch out your hands, and someone else will fasten a belt around you and take you where you do not wish to go." (He said this to indicate the kind of death by which he would glorify God.) After this he said to him, "Follow me."

No, we don't want to seek out suffering but that is what we should be expecting if we follow Christ.

Jesus said, "If they persecuted me, they will persecute you; if they kept my word, they will keep yours also."

Paul said, " I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection and the sharing of his sufferings by becoming like him in his death,"

He also said to Timothy, "Do not be ashamed, then, of the testimony about our Lord or of me his prisoner, but join with me in suffering for the gospel, relying on the power of God,"

Paul didn't tell Timothy to join him in proclaiming the gospel but join him in suffering for the gospel. We don't seem to here words like this in Christianity today.
"Do not be ashamed, then, of the testimony about our Lord or of me his prisoner, but join with me in suffering for the gospel, relying on the power of God,"

Paul didn't tell Timothy to join him in proclaiming the gospel but join him in suffering for the gospel.
what is the gospel?

No, we don't want to seek out suffering but that is what we should be expecting if we follow Christ.

Jesus said, "If they persecuted me, they will persecute you; if they kept my word, they will keep yours also."

Paul said, " I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection and the sharing of his sufferings by becoming like him in his death,"

He also said to Timothy, "Do not be ashamed, then, of the testimony about our Lord or of me his prisoner, but join with me in suffering for the gospel, relying on the power of God,"

Paul didn't tell Timothy to join him in proclaiming the gospel but join him in suffering for the gospel. We don't seem to here words like this in Christianity today.
Really that is all you carry on about post after post, and in more than one thread. It is a strange focus that you have. I would be more focused on Paul wanting to know the power of the resurrection.

But no you have been obsessed with Paul's suffering and Jesus suffering. Please let us know when the stigmata appear. Tell us when you move to a country where you will really suffer. We will pray for you.

So you are not into real suffering at all. So RCs talking about suffering, is not real suffering at all. Well the evidence is in, it has failed, impure thoughts are strong in your leaders, they hide sin and do not expose it.

Why did Paul have to suffer for Jesus' name?

Maybe part of the answer can be found in what Jesus said to Peter, "Very truly, I tell you, when you were younger, you used to fasten your own belt and to go wherever you wished. But when you grow old, you will stretch out your hands, and someone else will fasten a belt around you and take you where you do not wish to go." (He said this to indicate the kind of death by which he would glorify God.) After this he said to him, "Follow me."
When you are dragged around as a prisoner let us know.

I am not sure which of his posts your are referring to. Your lack of faith in Jesus Christ has nothing to do with reformed theology. Your lack of faith in Jesus is directly related to your unwillingness to take the Word of GOD at face value. You would rather give the words men more value than to those infallible and inerrant Words spoken By GOD Himself. That is where the issue lies. Until you change that, you will be groping around as a blind man not seeing anything.

1 Corinthians 2:5 That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God.
Do you understand the irony though. I have a lifelong faith that the Catholic Church offers all that Christ promised to us through Peter. Yes you read Matthew 16:18 in a different way but at a fundamental level I read those words at face value. So for you to argue that I'm wrong and that I should listen to you, a human person instead.... can you see how that is so ironic to me?

Yes, I am. No one is 'in Christ' without it. do you think there is an unbiblical way?
what does 'born again' mean to you as a catholic?

I've noticed how often catholics here quote a verse to 'support' what they claim to believe, but the verse using 'we' in it is referring to those in scripture who have been born again. The 'we' isn't anyone who believed the teachings of the rcc. the rcc didn't exist then. Jesus and the apostles didn't teach what the rcc teaches.

If the verse is a promise (such as of forgiveness, eternal life etc), it is to those who actually do believe what they teach, not what the rcc teaches.
I've had 60 plus years of Catholic formation and now I'm getting some insight into how some zealous non CC's think and believe. The intense campaign to have us take your human interpretations as gospel and ditch the Church, just doesn't move me. If I was a non Catholic who believed in Scripture alone I would pull back from trying to force my view on others and let God give out His grace as He wills.

Really that is all you carry on about post after post, and in more than one thread. It is a strange focus that you have. I would be more focused on Paul wanting to know the power of the resurrection.

But no you have been obsessed with Paul's suffering and Jesus suffering. Please let us know when the stigmata appear. Tell us when you move to a country where you will really suffer. We will pray for you.
To be fair, that is the theme of this thread.

Do you understand the irony though. I have a lifelong faith that the Catholic Church offers all that Christ promised to us through Peter.

Mormons have a lifelong faith that the Mormon church is the true church on Earth. Why is your claim more believable than theirs?

Yes you read Matthew 16:18 in a different way but at a fundamental level I read those words at face value.

No, actually, you don't.
You don't understand the difference between 2nd person address (eg. "You are Peter"), and third person ("upon THIS rock").

Matt. 16:18 does not identify Peter as "the Rock".

Matt. 16:18 does not dictate a "lineage" of popes after Peter.

And if we aren't reading Matt. 16:18, then neither are:
- Chrysostom;
- Augustine;
- Hilary;
- Ambrose;
- Cyril;
- Origen;
- Bede; or
- Cassiodorus.

So for you to argue that I'm wrong and that I should listen to you, a human person instead.... can you see how that is so ironic to me?

Why should we listen to a human personal like YOU?
Do you see THAT irony?! ;)

I've had 60 plus years of Catholic formation and now I'm getting some insight into how some zealous non CC's think and believe.

"zealous"?
What's with the labelling?

The intense campaign to have us take your human interpretations as gospel and ditch the Church, just doesn't move me.

"Human interpretations"?
What do you offer, "giraffe interpretations"?

Yes, the Scriptures are written in language.
Therefore, they must be interpreted.
Fortunately, God gave us minds to know how to do that.

Why should we turn off our brains, have a frontal lobotomy, and mindlessly believe what a stranger tells us Scripture means?

If I was a non Catholic who believed in Scripture alone I would pull back from trying to force my view on others and let God give out His grace as He wills.

"force my view on others"?
Seriously?!
Nobody's "forcing" you to accept anything. You are perfectly free to continue to embrace your false teachings.

But it seems a bit ironic for you to falsely accuse us of "forcing" you to do anything, while suggesting we should censor ourselves.

This forum is for debating Catholicism.
If you don't like that, nobody's forcing you to be here.

To be fair, that is the theme of this thread.
Yep and it is not showing how RCs in the West are suffering like Paul. I mean it is a lot of obsession with suffering of Christ and Paul but it is all talk. I found that happens a lot in the RCC lot of talk and not much in the way of action.

Yep and we see how zealous RCs are about false doctrines and false suffering. It is interesting they are afraid to even discuss their false doctrines and they divert by attacking factual posts, they divert by changing the topic, they bring in the infallibility question whenever they can, as if their bad leaders are infallible. They do not offer evidence for their claims, for their doctrines or teachings.

In fact, RCs can not even tell us what is a doctrine set in stone and what is just a teaching and can be changed whenever the mood suits.

They offer up their fallible interpretations and misquotes as if it proves things that are not in scripture. They justify the flock being harmed by sin being hidden etc.

Yep RCs are zealous and not open to debating their doctrines/teachings.

Last edited:
I've had 60 plus years of Catholic formation and now I'm getting some insight into how some zealous non CC's think and believe. The intense campaign to have us take your human interpretations as gospel and ditch the Church, just doesn't move me. If I was a non Catholic who believed in Scripture alone I would pull back from trying to force my view on others and let God give out His grace as He wills.
No it is RCs trying to force their human interpretations on non RCs in these threads. They have not shown who revealed these so called unnamed doctrines to the institution and who they were revealed to and when they were revealed. The inability to prove their doctrines is upsetting to them, so they attack those who reveal the flaws in their arguments. They do not like the fact that we are well aware that the false doctrines come from a flawed, lying false writings.

It is no skin off our noses whether you believe what scripture clearly says or not. Our responsibility is to show the flaws in the RCC false doctrines, claims, teachings and to reveal that actions speak. The decision on what to believe is yours and yours alone.

Back