Trinitarian confusion at Romans 9:5

Exactly. The issue at Romans 9:5 has nothing to do with grammar but with interpretation. So it’s useless to cite a bunch of Deity believing “Church fathers” on this score. Ofcourse most would prey on the punctuation ambiguity here in order to read their doctrine into the text.
I have been told by many who know about languages that both Greek and Latin/Romans never used any such tools as punctuation marks and or signs, never they did not exist then.. Why do we say that the Romans spoke Latin and not Roman but the Greeks spoke Greek ?

Luke 9:1 Calling together the Twelve, Yeshua gave them power and authority to expel all the demons and to cure diseases;
2 and he sent them out to proclaim the Kingdom of God and to heal.
3 He said to them, "Take nothing for your trip -- neither a walking stick nor a pack, neither bread nor money; and don't have two shirts.
4 Whatever house you enter, stay there and go out from there.
5 Wherever they don't welcome you, shake the dust from your feet when you leave that town as a warning to them."

You're overstating your case. By "the grammarians," you mean Moulton who says it is all about exegesis, and his proposal to circumvent the grammatical difficulty by treating ὁ ὢν substantively as the I AM of Exodus 3:14 is certainly not a strong argument.
Why not? I think Moulton is on the ball. You have to evaluate on every occasion what use ὁ ὢν is being put to, especially since it is the Greek name for God. As to ὁ ὢν, we have a grammar usage, a colloquial usage, and a specifically theological usage. (Life isn't always as simple as you make out.)

On the contrary Godet, Robertson, Cranfield, Sanday and Headlam, Metzger, Harris, and Kammler all note the grammatical difficulties associated with forming here a doxology to the Father--and all of them analyze the passage fairly extensively. Moreover the editors of the NA and UBS texts have both rejected this punctuation, and it's not supported in the TR or the PT.
They would because they're ardent Trinitarians. Anyone who thinks that the Trinitarian verion is to be preferred on the grounds of exegesis such as Sanday is so wrong, because the end result of the Trinitarian exegesis isn't true. If you have two choices, one true without equivocation and found elsewhere in the NT, and one only true with heavy qualification and never found elsewhere, you select the former, not the latter.

I really wonder about some of these grammarians.
I appreciate this correction. The fathers often disputed erroneous views of their time, so those need to be read carefully above and below the quote to make sure it is understood correctly.

Because it would be wrong to concede. These are agnates in the Greek, which means they are alternate ways of saying the same thing. However, the attributive participle usually forms a restrictive clause whereas the relative is usually nonrestrictive. Both would be taken into English as a relative clause:

An attributive participle should normally be translated with a relative clause
(Köstenberger, Andreas J.; Merkle, Benjamin L; Plummer, Robert L.. Going Deeper with New Testament Greek, Revised Edition, p. 327)​

It is often best to translate an attributive participle with an English relative clause (“who” or “which/that”).
(Merkle, Benjamin L; Plummer, Robert L.. Beginning with New Testament Greek, p. 186)​

You should normally translate the attributive participle as though it were a relative clause
(Wallace, Daniel B.. The Basics of New Testament Syntax, p. 270)​

I could quote quite a few more grammars on this point. This would be considered an equivalent usage in the English, since there is no direct parallel.
But then again, there are reasons for not seeing ὁ ὢν as attributive, where ὁ Θεὸς is being blessed (a very important reason to retain the article which you disdain), and where it comes after τὸ κατὰ σάρκα.

Consider a similar but not identical ambiguity in Rom 1:3,4 which κατὰ σάρκα resolves.

κατὰ σάρκα must terminate the participle clause τοῦ γενομένου ἐκ σπέρματος Δαυεὶδ in which it resides.

For if it didn't, the following attributive clause, τοῦ ὁρισθέντος (GMS) Υἱοῦ Θεοῦ ἐν δυνάμει κατὰ πνεῦμα would refer grammatically to σπέρματος Δαυεὶδ (GMS).

In which clause does κατὰ σάρκα reside in Rom 9:5? ἐξ ὧν ὁ Χριστὸς τὸ κατὰ σάρκα.

In nearly all cases, a natural break comes after κατὰ σάρκα. It seems to me Trinitarians are being disingenuous in not seeing the terminated clause as the whole of ἐξ ὧν ὁ Χριστὸς τὸ κατὰ σάρκα.

If κατὰ σάρκα is seen as a natural clause terminator, which it seems to be, then there is no ambiguity in Rom 9:5.

In Rom 8:1 Paul uses a conjunction ἀλλὰ after κατὰ σάρκα. This would also be required in Rom 9:5, if Paul was to continue the sentence.

As I suggest, and as TRJM does, the Trinitarian grammar rendering of Rom 9:5 is "yuk".

Again, doesn't matter, because he uses ὁ ὢν here, which is an agnate of ὅς ἐστιν. Both would come into English as a relative clause. And there is nothing unusual about Paul using an attributive participle in place of a relative. Let's look at two equivalent phrases by Paul:

Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ, ὃς ἔδωκεν ἑαυτὸν ὑπὲρ ἡμῶν (Titus 2:13, 14)​
Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ, τοῦ δόντος ἑαυτὸν ὑπὲρ τῶν ἁμαρτιῶν ἡμῶν (Galatians 1:4)​

Despite the absence of a relative in Galatians 1:4, would be translated in the beginning as "Jesus Christ who gave himself..." The only difference is that he utilizes the attributive participle in Galatians 1:4 rather than a relative. Again,

περὶ τοῦ υἱοῦ αὐτοῦ τοῦ γενομένου ἐκ σπέρματος Δαβὶδ κατὰ σάρκα τοῦ ὁρισθέντος υἱοῦ θεοῦ ἐν δυνάμει κατὰ πνεῦμα ἁγιωσύνης (Romans 1:3, 4)​
Concerning his Son, who was born of the seed of David according to the flesh, who was declared to be the Son of God according to the Spirit of holiness...​
Here τοῦ υἱοῦ αὐτοῦ is modified by two attributive participial phrases (I'm sure this will make TRJM's head explode). We would contract this construction by substituting the second "who was" with an "and."
Just so. But I see it this way: Paul prefers the ὅς ἐστιν over ὁ ὢν for theological reasons, in nearly all cases; for his only unambiguous usage of ὁ ὢν refers to God the Father in 2 Cor 11:31. I see it that whenever you see ὁ ὢν in Paul's epistles, he's alluding to God the Father. And that make sense given Ex 3:14. The coincidence is too great to be ignored, as you do. Each apostle has their vagaries, and it seems to me, Paul's is ὁ ὢν = God the Father (he was into the Septuagint too). Of the approximately 300 Old Testament quotes in the New Testament, approximately 2/3 of them came from the Septuagint.

And the matter remains: every grammarian concedes that there is nothing to prevent ὁ ὢν from starting a new sentence.

And these have been the only examples you have turned up, and they are poor examples. You've been corrected on this point more than once but keep ignoring it. I shouldn't have to keep repeating that Irenaeus quotes Romans 9:5, in full, of Jesus Christ and Eusebius speaks of Christ as God the Word who reigns supreme over all. Eusebius never quotes Romans 9:5 but clearly such passages where he does mention Christ ruling over all are clear allusions to it.
They are in fact excellent examples. That Irenaeus quotes Romans 9:5, in full, of Jesus Christ, is OK, because Jesus Christ is in the first part of Rom 9:5 and to point. The verse is certainly not forced. Elsewhere "God over/above all" is used of the Father consistently, and of Christ sometimes but then the context always denotes Christ and that his being "over all" relates to creation.

It is true that Eusebius does use the curious term "o Θεός Λόγος" in a few places in Praeparatio evangelica circa AD314, and more so in Demonstratio evangelica, circa AD318 (pre Nicea) but these were written well before his more mature latter works, in circa AD337, Against Marcellus and Ecclesiastical Theology wherein he seems to have espoused a more mature theological terminology: "God the word" is replaced by the "Word of God" & "Son of God." Obviously no-one is idolizing Eusebius (least of all me). The spiritual maturity of his later works is something to be noted: these are they which freely use "God over all" in circa 20 places to denote the Father, like Irenaeus.

May be you will grow out of your "God the Word" phase too?

Last edited:
Why not? I think Moulton is on the ball. You have to evaluate on every occasion what use ὁ ὢν is being put to, especially since it is the Greek name for God. As to ὁ ὢν, we have a grammar usage, a colloquial usage, and a specifically theological usage. (Life isn't always as simple as you make out.)

They would because they're ardent Trinitarians. Anyone who thinks that the Trinitarian verion is to be preferred on the grounds of exegesis such as Sanday is so wrong, because the end result of the Trinitarian exegesis isn't true. If you have two choices, one true without equivocation and found elsewhere in the NT, and one only true with heavy qualification and never found elsewhere, you select the former, not the latter.

But then again, there are reasons for not seeing ὁ ὢν as attributive, where ὁ Θεὸς is being blessed (a very important reason to retain the article which you disdain), and where it comes after τὸ κατὰ σάρκα.

Consider a similar but not identical ambiguity in Rom 1:3,4 which κατὰ σάρκα resolves.

κατὰ σάρκα must terminate the participle clause τοῦ γενομένου ἐκ σπέρματος Δαυεὶδ in which it resides.

For if it didn't, the following attributive clause, τοῦ ὁρισθέντος (GMS) Υἱοῦ Θεοῦ ἐν δυνάμει κατὰ πνεῦμα would refer grammatically to σπέρματος Δαυεὶδ (GMS).

In which clause does κατὰ σάρκα reside in Rom 9:5? ἐξ ὧν ὁ Χριστὸς τὸ κατὰ σάρκα.

In nearly all cases, a natural break comes after κατὰ σάρκα. It seems to me Trinitarians are being disingenuous in not seeing the terminated clause as the whole of ἐξ ὧν ὁ Χριστὸς τὸ κατὰ σάρκα.

If κατὰ σάρκα is seen as a natural clause terminator, which it seems to be, then there is no ambiguity in Rom 9:5.

In Rom 8:1 Paul uses a conjunction ἀλλὰ after κατὰ σάρκα. This would also be required in Rom 9:5, if Paul was to continue the sentence.

As I suggest, and as TRJM does, the Trinitarian grammar rendering of Rom 9:5 is "yuk".

Just so. But I see it this way: Paul prefers the ὅς ἐστιν over ὁ ὢν for theological reasons, in nearly all cases; for his only unambiguous usage of ὁ ὢν refers to God the Father in 2 Cor 11:31. I see it that whenever you see ὁ ὢν in Paul's epistles, he's alluding to God the Father. And that make sense given Ex 3:14. The coincidence is too great to be ignored, as you do. Each apostle has their vagaries, and it seems to me, Paul's is ὁ ὢν = God the Father (he was into the Septuagint too). Of the approximately 300 Old Testament quotes in the New Testament, approximately 2/3 of them came from the Septuagint.

And the matter remains: every grammarian concedes that there is nothing to prevent ὁ ὢν from starting a new sentence.

They are in fact excellent examples. That Irenaeus quotes Romans 9:5, in full, of Jesus Christ, is OK, because Jesus Christ is in the first part of Rom 9:5 and to point. The verse is certainly not forced. Elsewhere "God over/above all" is used of the Father consistently, and of Christ sometimes but then the context always denotes Christ and that his being "over all" relates to creation.

It is true that Eusebius does use the curious term "o Θεός Λόγος" in a few places in Praeparatio evangelica circa AD314, and more so in Demonstratio evangelica, circa AD318 (pre Nicea) but these were written well before his more mature latter works, in circa AD337, Against Marcellus and Ecclesiastical Theology wherein he seems to have espoused a more mature theological terminology: "God the word" is replaced by the "Word of God" & "Son of God." Obviously no-one is idolizing Eusebius (least of all me). The spiritual maturity of his later works is something to be noted: these are they which freely use "God over all" in circa 20 places to denote the Father, like Irenaeus.

yes God The Word..... ( Revelation 19:16) Jesus is called “the King of those who rule as kings and Lord of those who rule as lords.”— 1 Timothy 6:14, 15. The Word serves as God’s spokesman. The title “the Word” apparently identifies its bearer as one whom God uses to convey information and instructions.

yes God The Word..... ( Revelation 19:16) Jesus is called “the King of those who rule as kings and Lord of those who rule as lords.”— 1 Timothy 6:14, 15. The Word serves as God’s spokesman. The title “the Word” apparently identifies its bearer as one whom God uses to convey information and instructions.
well then, do you believe that we are all the times of the Revelation then ? Gods flesh and blood SON has been, and has done His work and has gone back to be with the Father, already..

Rev 19: 15 And out of his mouth comes a sharp sword with which to strike down nations - "He will rule them with a staff of iron." It is he who treads the winepress from which flows the wine of the furious rage of ADONAI, God of heaven's armies.
16 And on his robe and on his thigh he has a name written: KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS.
17 Then I saw an angel standing in the sun, and he cried out in a loud voice to all the birds that fly about in mid-heaven, "Come, gather together for the great feast God is giving,
18 to eat the flesh of kings, the flesh of generals, the flesh of important men, the flesh of horses and their riders and the flesh of all kinds of people, free and slave, small and great!"
19 I saw the beast and the kings of the earth and their armies gathered together to do battle with the rider of the horse and his army.
20 But the beast was taken captive, and with it the false prophet who, in its presence, had done the miracles which he had used to deceive those who had received the mark of the beast and those who had worshipped his image. The beast and the false prophet were both thrown alive into the lake of fire that burns with sulfur.

We already know and believe this ?

well then, do you believe that we are all the times of the Revelation then ? Gods flesh and blood SON has been, and has done His work and has gone back to be with the Father, already..

Rev 19: 15 And out of his mouth comes a sharp sword with which to strike down nations - "He will rule them with a staff of iron." It is he who treads the winepress from which flows the wine of the furious rage of ADONAI, God of heaven's armies.
16 And on his robe and on his thigh he has a name written: KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS.
17 Then I saw an angel standing in the sun, and he cried out in a loud voice to all the birds that fly about in mid-heaven, "Come, gather together for the great feast God is giving,
18 to eat the flesh of kings, the flesh of generals, the flesh of important men, the flesh of horses and their riders and the flesh of all kinds of people, free and slave, small and great!"
19 I saw the beast and the kings of the earth and their armies gathered together to do battle with the rider of the horse and his army.
20 But the beast was taken captive, and with it the false prophet who, in its presence, had done the miracles which he had used to deceive those who had received the mark of the beast and those who had worshipped his image. The beast and the false prophet were both thrown alive into the lake of fire that burns with sulfur.

We already know and believe this ?
Estienne produced a 1555 Vulgate that is the first Bible to include the verse numbers integrated into the text. Before this work, they were printed in the margins. The first English New Testament to use the verse divisions was a 1557 translation by William Whittingham (c. 1524–1579).

You never mentioned these 2 at all ?

Cjab did not respond to this correctly--the article belongs to the attributive participle, not to θεὸς; θεὸς lacks the article (is "anarthrous") because it is serving as a predicate.

This would be a better placement of punctuation grammatically speaking vs. the other proposal, but still presents its own difficulties. It is the second of two proposals by Erasmus in the 16th century, the other which is currently under discussion. Erasmus, by the way, also made the absurd statement accompanying this that ὁ ὢν should be read ὂς ὢν (which would require ἐστιν after εὐλογητὸς) rather than the functional equivalent of ὅς ἐστι.

Everywhere else in the Greek Old Testament and the New Testament, the doxological construction is not θεὸς εὐλογητὸς ("God is blessed" or "the blessed God," depending on context) but εὐλογητὸς ὁ θεὸς ("Blessed be God."), where the predicate construction is clearly defined. Contextually, however, because θεὸς lacks the article, it would more naturally be taken as a predicate dependent on ὁ ὢν. It would be a bit out of character, in my opinion, for Paul to not to fully and unambiguously form a predicate construction if the doxology began here.

Many manuscripts support a comma after "God," but out of well over a hundred searched I have yet to encounter one before it.
Where is gramma taught in the Bible by God and or by Gods flesh and blood Son Yeshua ?
Revelation 22:18-19 ESV / 225 helpful votes
I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: if anyone adds to them, God will add to him the plagues described in this book, and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God will take away his share in the tree of life and in the holy city, which are described in this book.

Proverbs 30:5-6 ESV / 187 helpful votes
Every word of God proves true; he is a shield to those who take refuge in him. Do not add to his words, lest he rebuke you and you be found a liar.

Hebrews 4:12 ESV / 147 helpful votes Helpful Not Helpful
For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart.

Deuteronomy 4:2 ESV / 141 helpful votes
You shall not add to the word that I command you, nor take from it, that you may keep the commandments of the Lord your God that I command you.

Malachi 3:6 ESV / 122 helpful votes
“For I the Lord do not change; therefore you, O children of Jacob, are not consumed.

Is it true that 94% of those who visit and debate here are heathens and or non believers ? Full Members are not included!

Look at the original Hebrew, don't bother with idolaters of imagined gods, the god worshipping Greeks!

13 Moshe said to God, "Look, when I appear before the people of Isra'el and say to them, 'The God of your ancestors has sent me to you'; and they ask me, 'What is his name?' what am I to tell them?"
14 God said to Moshe, "Ehyeh Asher Ehyeh [I am/will be what I am/will be]," and added, "Here is what to say to the people of Isra'el: 'Ehyeh [I Am or I Will Be] has sent me to you.'"
15 God said further to Moshe, "Say this to the people of Isra'el: 'Yud-Heh-Vav-Heh [ADONAI], the God of your fathers, the God of Avraham, the God of Yitz'chak and the God of Ya'akov, has sent me to you.'This is my name forever; this is how I am to be remembered generation after generation.

9 To the ends of the earth he makes wars cease he breaks the bow, snaps the spear, burns the shields in the fire.
10 "Desist, and learn that I am God, supreme over the nations, supreme over the earth."
11 ADONAI-Tzva'ot is with us, our fortress, the God of Ya'akov. (Selah)

Attachments

• IMG_20200106_132135__76618.1581886604.jpg
    285 KB · Views: 0
I repudiate any charge of ad hominem. I never intended to refer to your personal beliefs. This is only about your rendition of Rom 9:5.

Ambrose felt himself obliged to refute the obvious and yet impious meaning to the Trinitarian Rom 9:5, in favour of a qualified meaning to the words "above all;" but which qualified meaning the words don't themselves bear and which is why Paul wouldn't have written them in the first place (see also below re Hippolytus).

OK a genuine mistake. The text on biblehub is convoluted by the lack of quotation and other indication marks around "For Christ was God, and suffered on account of us, being Himself the Father, that He might be able also to save us" reflecting that the words were said by Noetus.

However, even if I made a mistake over the identity of the speaker here, I made no mistake over the Trinitarian rendition of Rom 9:5 being useful for justifying Sabellianism. On this point, I was spot on.

Let's look at whether Hippolytus successfully refutes the Sabellian interpretation of theTrinitarian rendition of Rom 9:5

Both "Almighty" and "which is, and which was, and which is to come" are [also] titles of the Father, unambiguously. In Revelation, God is always distinguished from Jesus Christ. See:

Rev 11:16 "And the four and twenty elders, which sat before God on their seats, fell upon their faces, and worshipped God,
Rev 11:17 "Saying, We give thee thanks, O Lord God Almighty, which art, and wast, and art to come; because thou hast taken to thee thy great power, and hast reigned."

I'm not saying that Christ has not "All things are delivered unto me of my Father." I'm not say Christ can't be Almighty. I am saying that the context will never confound Christ with his Father, as Trinitarian Rom 9:5 does by denoting Christ as God.

Also, attributing Christ with the titles of the Father per Revelation isn't repudiating Noetus' charge of Sabellianism in Rom 9:5.

So as with Ambrose, Hippolytus is reduced to having to concede that the Trinitarian rendition of Rom 9:5 is open to a Sabellian interpretation, which must then be curtailed by further application of theology that lies well outside the passage in question.

It's not about what you believe. It's about what the natural meaning of your rendition is. I suggested in fact that your theology was of Ambrose, and for this reason you will have need to qualify, limit or restrict your Trinitarian Rom 9:5 by way of an apology for what it doesn't say, but should have said.

And this is why the grammarians say, there is nothing in the grammar, and it is all about the exegesis. But I think the grammar very strange for Paul whose preference for ὅς ἐστιν over ὁ ὢν is undeniable. It's just not what Paul would have written if he had desired to say what you maintain, as per Rom 1:25 vis-a-vis the Creator.

Why can't you just concede the point that ὅς ἐστιν would have been expected for such a radical statement of theology, made nowhere else?

Not strange at all. There is nothing strange about ὁ ὢν as a subtantive in the context of θεὸς.

There is a need to maintain consistency with other doxologies, and this is where you thesis falls. If there were others where your interpretation prevails, I would give you the benefit of the doubt. But there is no other place where your interpretation is found. There is no precedent. Hard passages don't make for good precedents.

And we know how the Trinitarians liked Rom 9:5 for appearing to refute Arianism, the mode of the day. But the true refutation of Arianism was by repudiating the idea of the Logos being begotten (the Logos isn't recorded as being begotten). They couldn't do this as it was anathema for the ECFs to give up on their begotten "God the Son".

Rom 9:5 was the wrong refutation. The problems with the ECF brand of Trinitarianism post Nicea became too deep rooted by the fusion with Greek philosophy, which is why Arianism became so prevalent.

Those were the days where they needed your Rom 9:5 to refute Arianism. That Arianism arose at all is an indication that many didn't see Rom 9:5 in your sense.
arguing over the meaning of sentences and r verses and or chapters pf the bible is primitive, useless and self serving, lol Read Gos Word and either truly believe or die for eternity.

1 I am speaking the truth - as one who belongs to the Messiah, I do not lie; and also bearing witness is my conscience, governed by the Ruach HaKodesh:
2 my grief is so great, the pain in my heart so constant,
3 that I could wish myself actually under God's curse and separated from the Messiah, if it would help my brothers, my own flesh and blood,
4 the people of Isra'el! They were made God's children, the Sh'khinah has been with them, the covenants are theirs, likewise the giving of the Torah, the Temple service and the promises;
5 the Patriarchs are theirs; and from them, as far as his physical descent is concerned, came the Messiah, who is over all. Praised be ADONAI for ever! Amen.
6 But the present condition of Isra'el does not mean that the Word of God has failed. For not everyone from Isra'el is truly part of Isra'el;
7 indeed, not all the descendants are seed of Avraham; rather, "What is to be called your 'seed' will be in Yitz'chak."
8 In other words, it is not the physical children who are children of God, but the children the promise refers to who are considered seed.
9 For this is what the promise said: "At the time set, I will come; and Sarah will have a son."z
10 And even more to the point is the case of Rivkah; for both her children were conceived in a single act with Yitz'chak, our father;
11 and before they were born, before they had done anything at all, either good or bad (so that God's plan might remain a matter of his sovereign choice, not dependent on what they did, but on God, who does the calling),
12 it was said to her, "The older will serve the younger."

NO BIBLE EWRITER OF NOTE BACK IN THEIR TIME, EVER USED A NUMBERING SYSTEM ...

Attachments

• Olt Testement 2876.jpg
    979.5 KB · Views: 0
  • OT NT 34.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 0

. . .

I don't "disdain" the article, I'm noting it belongs to the participle and Θεὸς is a predicate.

The articular preposition in the accusative in Romans 9:5 is adverbial; there is no reason to take an adverbial usage of the preposition as an end to the sentence. For example:

προφήτης οὖν ὑπάρχων καὶ εἰδὼς ὅτι ὅρκῳ ὤμοσεν αὐτῷ ὁ θεὸς ἐκ καρποῦ τῆς ὀσφύος αὐτοῦ τὸ κατὰ σάρκα ἀναστήσειν τὸν Χριστὸν, καθίσαι ἐπὶ τοῦ θρόνου αὐτοῦ (Acts 2:30)​
Therefore being a prophet, and knowing that God had sworn with an oath to him, that of the fruit of his loins, according to the flesh, he would raise up Christ to sit on his throne.​
In Romans 9:5 I said the sentence doesn't end. Both in Greek and English, a comma is natural here: the attributive participle, ὁ ὢν, is a predicator and the participial phrase is attributive of ὁ Χριστὸς. This is a normal usage of the attributive participle.

You really have a ways to go in learning the language, and you're still in a position where you should be asking and learning, not dictating and teaching. It's harmful to those who hear you speak wrongly about the Greek and don't know better, and those who know it won't be fooled.

Also, attributing Christ with the titles of the Father per Revelation isn't repudiating Noetus' charge of Sabellianism in Rom 9:5.
The whole work is called "Against Noetus." It is all intended as a refutation of Noetus' theology.

Last edited:
arguing over the meaning of sentences and r verses and or chapters pf the bible is primitive, useless and self serving, lol Read Gos Word and either truly believe or die for eternity.

1 I am speaking the truth - as one who belongs to the Messiah, I do not lie; and also bearing witness is my conscience, governed by the Ruach HaKodesh:
2 my grief is so great, the pain in my heart so constant,
3 that I could wish myself actually under God's curse and separated from the Messiah, if it would help my brothers, my own flesh and blood,
4 the people of Isra'el! They were made God's children, the Sh'khinah has been with them, the covenants are theirs, likewise the giving of the Torah, the Temple service and the promises;
5 the Patriarchs are theirs; and from them, as far as his physical descent is concerned, came the Messiah, who is over all. Praised be ADONAI for ever! Amen.
6 But the present condition of Isra'el does not mean that the Word of God has failed. For not everyone from Isra'el is truly part of Isra'el;
7 indeed, not all the descendants are seed of Avraham; rather, "What is to be called your 'seed' will be in Yitz'chak."
8 In other words, it is not the physical children who are children of God, but the children the promise refers to who are considered seed.
9 For this is what the promise said: "At the time set, I will come; and Sarah will have a son."z
10 And even more to the point is the case of Rivkah; for both her children were conceived in a single act with Yitz'chak, our father;
11 and before they were born, before they had done anything at all, either good or bad (so that God's plan might remain a matter of his sovereign choice, not dependent on what they did, but on God, who does the calling),
12 it was said to her, "The older will serve the younger."

NO BIBLE EWRITER OF NOTE BACK IN THEIR TIME, EVER USED A NUMBERING SYSTEM ...
I would be grateful if you could stop spamming my posts.

Why ? no one is spamming ? The MODS have not spoken to me, I am a Christian and this IS, a Christian website and who are you to complain, when no harm is happening to you in any way.
If you want to " play hard " then stop complaining.. Especially when making very suspect statement about the Bible ? No true Christian here will run off somewhere because of you... sic!
May God Bless you....
I have reported you for absuing this forum.

Talk of straining at a gnat but swallowing a camel. Everywhere else in scripture the term εὐλογητὸς is reserved for the Father only, never Christ or anyone else.
" 24.. Blind guides! -- straining out a gnat, meanwhile swallowing a camel! " It says OUT not AT, seriously ? A tiny flying tiny insect which needs not to be a problem with unmentioned bodly function..

, Chapter 23 Yeshua is addressing the crowds and talking about the hypocrisy He sees in the Pharisees. He discusses how, in essence, they are more concerned about looking superior in people’s eyes then they are concerned with doing what is righteous in God’s eyes. They go through the motions of being righteous but they do not have righteousness as their goal. Instead, they seek the praise of men instead of acceptance by God.

I have reported you for absuing this forum.
How ? What for ?
Romans 9:5 ? It is up to YOU to prove and provide proof of your claims here and everywhere for that matter..
BTW, what and or whom is " This Forum " ?
BTW, telling someone that you have " reported them " is, in itself, a form of aggression and typical assault!
God Bless you..

Everywhere else in the Greek Old Testament and the New Testament, the doxological construction is not θεὸς εὐλογητὸς ("God is blessed" or "the blessed God," depending on context) but εὐλογητὸς ὁ θεὸς ("Blessed be God."), where the predicate construction is clearly defined.

This is just false..οἵτινες μετήλλαξαν τὴν ἀλήθειαν τοῦ Θεοῦ ἐν τῷ ψεύδει, καὶ ἐσεβάσθησαν καὶ ἐλάτρευσαν τῇ κτίσει παρὰ τὸν Κτίσαντα, ὅς ἐστιν εὐλογητὸς εἰς τοὺς αἰῶνας· ἀμήν.

Compare with ὧν οἱ πατέρες, καὶ ἐξ ὧν ὁ Χριστὸς τὸ κατὰ σάρκα, ὁ ὢν ἐπὶ πάντων Θεὸς εὐλογητὸς εἰς τοὺς αἰῶνας, ἀμήν.

This is just false..οἵτινες μετήλλαξαν τὴν ἀλήθειαν τοῦ Θεοῦ ἐν τῷ ψεύδει, καὶ ἐσεβάσθησαν καὶ ἐλάτρευσαν τῇ κτίσει παρὰ τὸν Κτίσαντα, ὅς ἐστιν εὐλογητὸς εἰς τοὺς αἰῶνας· ἀμήν.

Compare with ὧν οἱ πατέρες, καὶ ἐξ ὧν ὁ Χριστὸς τὸ κατὰ σάρκα, ὁ ὢν ἐπὶ πάντων Θεὸς εὐλογητὸς εἰς τοὺς αἰῶνας, ἀμήν.
It's not as though we haven't talked about this already. By "the doxological construction" I'm talking about a translation involving an asyndetic doxology--"...over all. Adonai be praised..."--not one involving a relative. I thought that would be obvious from the context, but I suppose there will always be captious individuals such as yourself who are more interested in word catching than catching the point. My point was that the predicate construction is always clearly defined: κύριος θεὸς εὐλογητὸς; εὐλογητὸς θεὸς; εὐλογητὸς κύριος θεὸς; εὐλογητὸς εἶ κύριε θεὸς Ισραηλ πατὴρ ἡμῶν; εὐλογητὸς κύριος . . . θεὸς τῶν σωτηρίων ἡμῶν.

Your statement above weakens your position, since you and cjab have been insisting (wrongly) that ὁ ὢν was not functionally equivalent (I do not say identical) to ὅς ἐστιν and that the relative construction was inexplicable. Now you draw a parallel. The participial clause is an agnate of the attributive participle, and in both places the constructions depend upon a prior antecedent (so also ὁ ὢν εὐλογητὸς εἰς τοὺς αἰῶνας, 2 Cor. 11:31). Both would come into English as a relative clause.

Romans1:25 (ὅς ἐστιν εὐλογητὸς εἰς τοὺς αἰῶνας) and 2 Corinthians 11:31 (ὁ ὢν εὐλογητὸς εἰς τοὺς αἰῶνας) are both functionally equivalent constructions. Both places demonstrate a relative usage and the same grammar would normally apply to Romans 9:5, if not for special pleading. No one debates this in Rom. 1:25 and 2 Cor. 11:31 because they don't refer to Christ, specifically. But when the same construction as the latter is used of Christ, the special pleading that "Paul would not refer to Christ as God" results in a theological exception to the rule.

It's not as though we haven't talked about this already. By "the doxological construction" I'm talking about a translation involving an asyndetic doxology--"...over all. Adonai be praised..."--not one involving a relative. I thought that would be obvious from the context, but I suppose there will always be captious individuals such as yourself who are more interested in word catching than catching the point. My point was that the predicate construction is always clearly defined: κύριος θεὸς εὐλογητὸς; εὐλογητὸς θεὸς; εὐλογητὸς κύριος θεὸς; εὐλογητὸς εἶ κύριε θεὸς Ισραηλ πατὴρ ἡμῶν; εὐλογητὸς κύριος . . . θεὸς τῶν σωτηρίων ἡμῶν.

Your statement above weakens your position, since you and cjab have been insisting (wrongly) that ὁ ὢν was not functionally equivalent (I do not say identical) to ὅς ἐστιν and that the relative construction was inexplicable. Now you draw a parallel. The participial clause is an agnate of the attributive participle, and in both places the constructions depend upon a prior antecedent (so also ὁ ὢν εὐλογητὸς εἰς τοὺς αἰῶνας, 2 Cor. 11:31). Both would come into English as a relative clause.

Romans1:25 (ὅς ἐστιν εὐλογητὸς εἰς τοὺς αἰῶνας) and 2 Corinthians 11:31 (ὁ ὢν εὐλογητὸς εἰς τοὺς αἰῶνας) are both functionally equivalent constructions. Both places demonstrate a relative usage and the same grammar would normally apply to Romans 9:5, if not for special pleading. No one debates this in Rom. 1:25 and 2 Cor. 11:31 because they don't refer to Christ, specifically. But when the same construction as the latter is used of Christ, the special pleading that "Paul would not refer to Christ as God" results in a theological exception to the rule.
That was not your original argument. You seem to be clutching at straws. Anyhow, it’s not like εὐλογητὸς could refer to anyone other than to ὁ ὢν ἐπὶ πάντων Θεὸς. The significant point is that in Scripture εὐλογητὸς NEVER denotes anyone other than the Father. This is the elephant in the room which you are evading, because it is lethal to your eisegesis.

Romans1:25 (ὅς ἐστιν εὐλογητὸς εἰς τοὺς αἰῶνας) and 2 Corinthians 11:31 (ὁ ὢν εὐλογητὸς εἰς τοὺς αἰῶνας) are both functionally equivalent constructions.

They are similar but not equivalent constructions. ὅς ἐστιν requires an antecedent, ὁ ὢν does not. If you had quoted 2 Cor. 11:31 in full you would have realized this:

ὁ Θεὸς καὶ Πατὴρ τοῦ Κυρίου Ἰησοῦ οἶδεν, ὁ ὢν εὐλογητὸς εἰς τοὺς αἰῶνας, ὅτι οὐ ψεύδομαι.

ὁ ὢν εὐλογητὸς εἰς τοὺς αἰῶνας is an appositive.

That was not your original argument. You seem to be clutching at straws.
Yes, it actually was my original argument, but you were more busy word catching than actually trying to comprehend it.

Anyhow, it’s not like εὐλογητὸς could refer to anyone other than to ὁ ὢν ἐπὶ πάντων Θεὸς. The significant point is that in Scripture εὐλογητὸς NEVER denotes anyone other than the Father. This is the elephant in the room which you are evading, because it is lethal to your eisegesis.
Under this qualification, εὐλογητὸς can never refer to anyone but God alone. The fact that the verbal/participle form is used of Christ is really no great distinction, and since the grammar clearly supports it in reference to Christ here, you are using the argument above as a form of special pleading.

They are similar but not equivalent constructions. ὅς ἐστιν requires an antecedent, ὁ ὢν does not. If you had quoted 2 Cor. 11:31 in full you would have realized this:

ὁ Θεὸς καὶ Πατὴρ τοῦ Κυρίου Ἰησοῦ οἶδεν, ὁ ὢν εὐλογητὸς εἰς τοὺς αἰῶνας, ὅτι οὐ ψεύδομαι.

ὁ ὢν εὐλογητὸς εἰς τοὺς αἰῶνας is an appositive.
No, it's not an appositive; it can come into English appositively but the usage itself is attributive, unless you regard ὁ ὢν εὐλογητὸς εἰς τοὺς αἰῶνας and ὁ Θεὸς καὶ Πατὴρ τοῦ Κυρίου Ἰησοῦ as having an equal syntactic connection to οἶδεν, which the placement of the verb certainly does not suggest. In this case the antecedent is ὁ Θεὸς. It is frankly absurd to keep calling this type of construction a substantival apposition. Your assertions would effectively negate all usages of the attributive participle except substantival.

Or maybe you still think that a verb can't come between a noun and its attributive participle, or you still think that the head noun can't be part of a noun phrase, or that an attributive participle can't take an object or be modified by other parts of speech like a verb. I expect these sorts of mistakes from novices or the uninitiated, not from individuals who profess to know the language so well. My patience for addressing this issue is wearing thin. By now I've quoted at least seven grammars and numerous examples from the grammars and grammarians that contradict all of these points. All you have left is proof by assertion.

One example will suffice:

οἱ δὲ διάκονοι ᾔδεισαν οἱ ἠντληκότες τὸ ὕδωρ (John 2:9):

οἱ ἠντληκότες τὸ ὕδωρ (“ who had drawn the water”) – οἱ ἠντληκότες (per act ptc masc nom pl ἀντλέω) is an attributive participle that modifies οἱ διάκονοι (cf. vv. 7– 8) and is equivalent in function to a relative clause.
Köstenberger, Andreas J.; Merkle, Benjamin L; Plummer, Robert L.. Going Deeper with New Testament Greek, Revised Edition (p. 189)​

But I can also add:

Εὐλογητὸς θεὸς καὶ πατὴρ τοῦ κυρίου ἡμῶν Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦκατὰ τὸ πολὺ αὐτοῦ ἔλεος ἀναγεννήσας ἡμᾶς (1 Peter 1:3)​
Matthewson and Emig, Intermediate Greek Grammar, pp. 266-267; A.T. Robertson, A Grammar of the Greek New Testament in the Light of Historical Research, p. 778; Matthew Hayes, An Analysis of the Attributive Participle and the Relative Clause in the Greek New Testament, p. 318​

Both of these examples break all your arbitrary rules and restrictions.

Last edited:
Under this qualification, εὐλογητὸς can never refer to anyone but God alone. The fact that the verbal/participle form is used of Christ is really no great distinction, and since the grammar clearly supports it in reference to Christ here, you are using the argument above as a form of special pleading.
That εὐλογητὸς can never refer to anyone but God alone is probably true. If so you are using Rom 9:5 as special pleading.

That εὐλογητὸς can never refer to anyone but God alone is probably true. If so you are using Rom 9:5 as special pleading.
That's a circular argument because the proposition is supported by the premises and the premises is supported by the proposition. And you make a definite assertion answering to an indefinite conclusion.

Why can't it, grammatically? Because I'm asserting that Christ here is called "God," and praised as such, being one with and equal to the Father, as the scriptures state elsewhere.

Or what theological rule exists among us, that only God can receive the adjective form of εὐλογητὸς, whereas everyone else can receive the verbal/participle (verbal adjective) form? It seems at its core, you both are falling back to purely theological arguments.

Last edited:
Back