Upon this rock/Keys

So when Jesus said to Peter in Matthew 16, "And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not prevail against it. I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven", Peter and the other disciples know exactly what Jesus was saying. Jesus was giving Peter both royal authority and priestly authority for his kingdom.
Peter and the other disciples know exactly what Jesus was saying.
Yes, and they, Peter included, know exactly what Jesus was saying.
when Christ spake these words
But Jesus called them unto him, and said,​
Ye know that the princes of the Gentiles exercise dominion over them,
and they that are great exercise authority upon them.
26 But it shall not be so among you:

Now does anyone here think
Peter went to Rome and set himself up as "A Pope"

Yes there is. In Acts 10 God chose Peter to be the one through whom the Gentiles would here the message of the good news and become believers. Also at the first church council in Jerusalem it was Peter it who decided on the issue of circumcision.
Being chosen to take the Gospel to Gentiles is not the same thing as having Supreme authority over the entire church.

Later on,, Paul became the primary missionary to the Gentiles, and Peter mainly to the circumcised. So, does this mean Paul was pope?

Just wow. You do not even make an effort to be objective about this.
How can we tell who had the final authority? When the debate over the issue ends. When did the debate end? The debate ended after Peter got up and spoke.

Being chosen to take the Gospel to Gentiles is not the same thing as having Supreme authority over the entire church.

Later on,, Paul became the primary missionary to the Gentiles, and Peter mainly to the circumcised. So, does this mean Paul was pope?
No, Paul was not pope, Peter was.

How can we tell who had the final authority? When the debate over the issue ends. When did the debate end? The debate ended after Peter got up and spoke.
The issue was settled when James said "It is my judgment, therefore." That was when the debate ended. Peter did not decide anything. He was merely pointing at the fact that God had chosen him to preach to the Gentiles (as He had done with Paul), and that the Gospel says that all people are saved by grace and not through the Law. The audience listened in silence when Paul and Barnabas presented their experiences when evangelizing to the Gentiles.

The issue was settled when James said "It is my judgment, therefore." That was when the debate ended. Peter did not decide anything. He was merely pointing at the fact that God had chosen him to preach to the Gentiles (as He had done with Paul), and that the Gospel says that all people are saved by grace and not through the Law. The audience listened in silence when Paul and Barnabas presented their experiences when evangelizing to the Gentiles.
Sorry but you are wrong. The issue to be settled was circumcision. James doesn't say anything about the issue. Peter is the first one to get up and speak after there had been much debate. The wasn't any more debate after Peter spoke, because right after Peter spoke it says, "The whole assembly kept silence.....". And Peter did address the issue when he spoke.

Sorry but you are wrong. The issue to be settled was circumcision. James doesn't say anything about the issue. Peter is the first one to get up and speak after there had been much debate.
Sorry, but you are wrong. The issue that was to be settled concerned the entire law of Moses.

Then some of the believers who belonged to the party of the Pharisees stood up and said, "The Gentiles must be circumcised and required to keep the law of Moses." (Acts 15:5)

That was the issue at hand and it was decided when James spoke up, referenced Peter's testimony, presented an argument from the Scriptures and told the other apostles "It is my judgment, therefore," specifying what the apostles should write to the Gentile believers.
The wasn't any more debate after Peter spoke, because right after Peter spoke it says, "The whole assembly kept silence.....". And Peter did address the issue when he spoke.
The text does not say that the people became silent because of what Peter said, but because they listened to the testimony of Paul and Barnabas. As you know, God had explicitly said (Acts 9:15) that He had chosen Paul to be His instrument to preach to the Gentiles.

But the Lord said to Ananias, "Go! This man [Paul] is my chosen instrument to proclaim my name to the Gentiles and their kings and to the people of Israel." (Acts 9:15)

He did not decide anything at that council. Pure Catholic revisionism.
I love that verse in Acts 9. If God had said of Peter 'he is my chosen instrument' we'd never hear the end of it from catholics. That would be their go to verse for the papacy and volumes would be written about it. But it wasn't Peter, it was Paul.

No place. Paul lists church workers in Ephesians, but "priest" is conspicuously missing. All believers are a royal priesthood to God the Father, with Jesus Christ as our Great high priest.

And Paul gives the criteria for church leaders (elders/bishops, and deacons), and they are supposed to be MARRIED, and "priest" is not mentioned.

Neither is "cardinal" or "archbishop".

Sorry, but if we look at the Greek it was written in, and compare it with the rest if the NT, we can see that Jesus was going to build His church on Himself, the "Rock" of Peter's confession. The BIG rocky massif of Himself, not on a chunk of rock like Peter.

And even the ECF's recognized and taught this:

Exactly. Apparently Catholics did not read all the way through Acts 15, did they?
They just like certain passages and jump the rest. It means they can read the whole bible in a very short time. I personally think every word is important even numbers and Leviticus.

Back