What is the name of the son per Matt 28:19?

Genuine believers know who the unique/one of a kind Son of God is and it’s Jesus Christ. It’s really simple. If you want to reject the words of Christ in Matthew 28:19 then that’s your decision. As for me I accept His words in Matthew 28:19.
The actual command of Jesus is to baptize in the name of the son.

Question, what is the name of the son?

Did anyone say anything during the baptisms in your view, or did they perform the baptisms silently?

Such is irrelevant to the discussion. The phrase "in the name of" means "by or under the authority of". It doesn't mean while saying this word. Just like when an officer says "Stop in the name of the Law". Or, a Brit says "Stop in the name of the Queen." Whether someone is baptized in silence, or while the baptizer says "In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit." or he says "in the name of Jesus", if it is done by or under the authority of God, then the person is rightly baptized.

God Bless

Such is irrelevant to the discussion. The phrase "in the name of" means "by or under the authority of". It doesn't mean while saying this word. Just like when an officer says "Stop in the name of the Law". Or, a Brit says "Stop in the name of the Queen." Whether someone is baptized in silence, or while the baptizer says "In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit." or he says "in the name of Jesus", if it is done by or under the authority of God, then the person is rightly baptized.

God Bless

How does your view compare with Paul's actions in re-baptizing the disciples of John the Baptist in Acts 19? John's baptism was under the authority of God, right?

How does your view compare with Paul's actions in re-baptizing the disciples of John the Baptist in Acts 19? John's baptism was under the authority of God, right?

They were not baptized under or by the authority of Christ as Christ followers. They were baptized under the authority of John as followers of John.

God Bless

They were not baptized under or by the authority of Christ as Christ followers. They were baptized under the authority of John as followers of John.

God Bless

But Christ is God and John baptized under the authority of God. John confessed Christ as the Lamb of God and continued to baptize under God's authority. What do you feel is the purpose of baptism and is saying anything significant in fulfilling that purpose?

But Christ is God and John baptized under the authority of God. John confessed Christ as the Lamb of God and continued to baptize under God's authority. What do you feel is the purpose of baptism and is saying anything significant in fulfilling that purpose?

Not into Christ. As Paul explained "John baptized with the baptism of repentance, telling the people to believe in the one who was to come after him, that is, Jesus." So, how can one think this baptism was into Christ?

God Bless

Not into Christ. As Paul explained "John baptized with the baptism of repentance, telling the people to believe in the one who was to come after him, that is, Jesus." So, how can one think this baptism was into Christ?

God Bless

Your seemingly doesn't-matter-what-is-said-at-baptism puts a lot of ambiguity upon this important scriptural event. How would anyone know who's authority it was in if everyone was hush hush or invented there own way baptizing (which was and is common practice).

In the OT the giving of the covenant was done explicitly in the name of YHWH. Under the new you have a sort of fill in the blank and you go concept.

Your seemingly doesn't-matter-what-is-said-at-baptism puts a lot of ambiguity upon this important scriptural event. How would anyone know who's authority it was in if everyone was hush hush or invented there own way baptizing (which was and is common practice).

Maybe, you shouldn't put words in my mouth. I never said it doesn't matter what is said at baptism. I simply said rigid formulaic statements are not necessary to properly baptized someone.

In the OT the giving of the covenant was done explicitly in the name of YHWH. Under the new you have a sort of fill in the blank and you go concept.

Utterly irrelevant in every sense of the word irrelevant. One's personal baptism isn't the giving of a covenant. The one being baptized isn't even the one speaking, so, how can the baptizer's words effect the Covenant between YHWH and the one being baptized?

God Bless

The name of the son is Jesus.

Peter understood this, then baptized in the name of Jesus in Acts 2,

The disciples in Acts 8 baptized the Samaritans in the name of Jesus.

Peter in Acts 10 baptized in the name of Jesus.

Paul in Acts 19 baptized in the name of Jesus.

The entire book of Acts was dedicated to Matt 28:19, as the baptizing disciples of Jesus always and only baptized in the name of Jesus Christ.

I will give anyone on this forum my 2013 GMC Sierra if they can find anyone that was baptized any other way in the NT Church(Acts to Rev) but in the name of our Lord Jesus.

Now that's cool.

Obeying Acts 2:38 qualified the 3000 murderers of Jesus at Pentecost for remission of their sins.

If it can do that, how much more for our sins?

We did not participate in the execution of Jesus, so obeying Acts 2:38 is a cinch to get us into heaven.

If we refuse to obey Acts 2:38, then we are worse than the murderers of Jesus, thinking it is only for "bad people", and not "good people" like us.

Last edited:
The name of the son is Jesus.
Peter understood this, then baptized in the name of Jesus in Acts 2,

Truther, what's the point in posting if you are not going to think through what other's are saying as to make meaningful replies?

The disciples in Acts 8 baptized the Samaritans in the name of Jesus.
Peter in Acts 10 baptized in the name of Jesus.
Paul in Acts 19 baptized in the name of Jesus
The entire book of Acts was dedicated to Matt 28:19, as the baptizing disciples of Jesus always and only baptized in the name of Jesus Christ.
I will give anyone on this forum my 2013 GMC Sierra if they can find anyone that was baptized any other way in the NT Church(Acts to Rev) but in the name of our Lord Jesus.

Because, Luke used "in the name of Jesus" as shorthand for "in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit." You keep on thinking people are arguing Christians in Acts were not baptized in the name of Jesus. In reality, Christians were baptized in the name of Jesus while the baptizer says "in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit."

Obeying Acts 2:38 qualified the 3000 murderers of Jesus at Pentecost for remission of their sins.

Jesus says
For I have come down from heaven, not to do my own will but the will of him who sent me. And this is the will of him who sent me, that I should lose nothing of all that he has given me, but raise it up on the last day. For this is the will of my Father, that everyone who looks on the Son and believes in him should have eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day. John 6:38-40

Look at that: Eternal life, being raised up on the last day, without any water.

If it can do that, how much more for our sins?
We did not participate in the execution of Jesus, so obeying Acts 2:38 is a cinch to get us into heaven.
If we refuse to obey Acts 2:38, then we are worse than the murderers of Jesus, thinking it is only for "bad people", and not "good people" like us.

You sure think a lot of water and spells invoking Jesus. I'd rather just believe what Jesus taught as opposed to what Truther teaches:
And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, so must the Son of Man be lifted up, that whoever believes in him may have eternal life. For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. John 3:14-16
Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only Son of God. John 3:18
Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life; whoever does not obey the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God remains on him. John 3:36

And that's just one chapter.

God Bless

Back