Upon this rock/Keys

There is no "Purgatory" in the bible, just as there is no "Trinity" in the bible. But you believe that. And who taught it to you? The Church.
If any part of the Trinity doctrine cannot be conclusively substantiated from the Scriptures, it should not be part of the doctrine. With regard to "purgatory," as Bonnie pointed out, the doctrine is not in the Scriptures at all.

The Pope has been given authority from Jesus. No one else has been given authority to settle issues concerning the Christian faith. So yes we should listen to what the person who has the authority.
Yes, we see how pope Leo X "settled issues" with Fr. Luther. And how well did pope What's-his-name settle the issue of papal primacy? Claimed authority that nobody listens to is meaningless - as meaningless a a madman claiming to be Jesus.

" It doesn't have to be in the Bible for it to be a Christian doctrine"

Thats what cults say. Then they create a book or books and convince their followers those are equal to Gods word. Then they say trust us we know better than you how to interpret the bible. Once you've bought into those lies, theres nothing you won't buy into.
But these so called sola scriptura Christians want us to rely on their interpretation of scripture and not scripture itself, so what's the difference?

But these so called sola scriptura Christians want us to rely on their interpretation of scripture and not scripture itself, so what's the difference?
This is a canard. First we aren't talking about Sola scriptura. You have to inject that into the discussion to deflect from your own comments we are challenging you on.

Next I don't know anyone that is asking you to rely on our interpretation. Our interpretations come out of scripture, not from us. But you people are incapable of interpreting anything so you have no recourse but to whine about Sola scriptura.

This is a canard. First we aren't talking about Sola scriptura. You have to inject that into the discussion to deflect from your own comments we are challenging you on.

Next I don't know anyone that is asking you to rely on our interpretation. Our interpretations come out of scripture, not from us. But you people are incapable of interpreting anything so you have no recourse but to whine about Sola scriptura.
Every time Christians ask us to show our beliefs from scripture, e.g. IC, they are bringing up scripture alone.

Sounds like Thomas to me ;)
You are wrong. I am talking about what is actually in Scripture, not about not believing Jesus rose from the dead, because I didn't see Him with my own eyes and physically touch Him. And nowhere is Purgatory in the Scriptures, not even a hint, though I have searched. Because it is NOT there!

The Bereans searched the Scriptures daily to see IF what Paul had taught them was true. And were called noble for doing so. Were they like Thomas?

You are wrong. I am talking about what is actually in Scripture, not about not believing Jesus rose from the dead, because I didn't see Him with my own eyes and physically touch Him. And nowhere is Purgatory in the Scriptures, not even a hint, though I have searched. Because it is NOT there!

The Bereans searched the Scriptures daily to see IF what Paul had taught them was true. And were called noble for doing so. Were they like Thomas?
Yes, and scripture says that the Holy Spirit will guide us into all the truth. Scripture doesn't limit all Christian beliefs to scripture.

It's your belief that not all Christian doctrine has to be found in the bible..then we're told if we want to see all of your teachings it's the CCC we should read. Sorry but again that's a mentality we see in other false religions.
Update: When Christianity started the OT were the only Scriptures they had.

Yes, and scripture says that the Holy Spirit will guide us into all the truth. Scripture doesn't limit all Christian beliefs to scripture.
The HS would not inspire people to teach something contrary to Scripture, or to teach the existence of something that does not exist.

Since Purgatory was a teaching that came hundreds of years after the Apostles all died, then the HS must have been very neglectful not to have inspired any of the NT writers to write about Purgatory in their epistles; or praying to saints dead in the Lord; Mary's PV, IC; and Assumption...
Yep, He sure must have been forgetful not to have inspired any of 1st century NT appstles to write about any of these things...if they are so necessary to believe...

The keys in Jewish understanding meant protecting the scriptures. The RCC has never done that, they add fairy tales and false doctrines to it.
The keys were also for discipline. The RCC has never done that with its leaders throughout the centuries unless it suited their purposes. They hide the sin of their leaders. They ignore 1 Cor 5:11.
And Jesus shows the keys were for spreading the good news, as you say. The RCC has not done this the way Jesus and the apostles did it, they forced people to convert and maintained control through fear. Now they cave into popular demands for divorce, gay marriages etc.

The RCC misuse the keys as a means to maintain control over the masses, they do not use them as they were meant to be used and so they have false keys, like their doctrines.
When it comes to so many things the Roman Catholic Church is the world's poster figure for "do as I say, not as I do"; and when the 'under the table price is right' to annul a valid Roman Catholic marriage, the RCC "takes the cake" - the greedy RCC will piously announce that the State has no authority to grant divorces - as if the RCC does . . . :LOL:?

Back