Forgiveness of sins

What did Jesus say ?

John 20:23
If you forgive anyone’s sins, their sins are forgiven; if you do not forgive them, they are not forgiven.”
Do the answer is...

The problem is I see Jesus say things very plainly but lots of people still don't get it

the sins issue between God and mankind was dealt with by God almost 2000 years ago on our behalf
I think He would like to be able to move on from all this, and most likely already has for the most part

but certain people keep making them an issue - either for themselves or for others

Last edited:
the sins issue between God and mankind was dealt with by God almost 2000 years ago on our behalf
I think He would like to be able to move on from all this, and most likely already has for the most part

but certain people keep making them an issue - either for themselves or for others
Hello American Gothic, how so :unsure:

Thanks!

God bless you!!

~Deut

1 John 1
9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness

by living a life of repentance, confession, penance etc. or something similar
and/or teaching or insisting others must do the same
it's Old Covenant type of living IMO

are those in Jesus really to live that way?
is God at this point sitting around in Heaven nit picking about our sins?

by living a life of repentance, confession, penance etc. or something similar
and/or teaching or insisting others must do the same
it's Old Covenant type of living IMO

are those in Jesus really to live that way?
is God at this point sitting around in Heaven nit picking about our sins?
Jn 20:23 tells us that sins have to be heard in order to forgive/retain

So Christ was wasting His time walking through a wall [?], breathing on them, sending the Holy Spirit, and telling them 'whose sins you forgive....'?
no, people are wasting their time thinking God is still holding their sins against them
the Apostles were commissioned to preach and teach the Good News
"it is finished"

either the sins issue actually IS finished, or it really is not

Did Jesus give the apostles the authority not forgive sins?
Jesus wan't about "Forgiving Sins" - Blood isn't required for that, it's just an act of the will. You tear up the "I.O.U.", but the SIN remains.

Jesus is about REMOVING SIN so that it's simply GONE as though it was never there at all. THAT requires His Blood as a SIN OFFERING (Isa. 53)

Jesus wan't about "Forgiving Sins" - Blood isn't required for that, it's just an act of the will. You tear up the "I.O.U.", but the SIN remains.

Jesus is about REMOVING SIN so that it's simply GONE as though it was never there at all. THAT requires His Blood as a SIN OFFERING (Isa. 53)
So your answer is.....? Yes it no?

it only took one sin for the Holy Spirit to leave Adam
if God is still holding sins against, the Holy Spirit would leave
and a person would remain spiritually dead

I doubt they were being commissioned to be Levitical style priests
constantly working to absolve people of their sins
to keep them in a right relationship with God

Back