SIDE dishes

We had canned peaches for dessert often. I thought it was because they were cheap. You are right they were very sweet. Yep everything was boiled. I hated what I called KP duty we had to peel so many potatoes for our meal. There were 3 adults and 9 kids in our house. The boys never had to help with these tasks. It used to make me so mad. I said I would rather take the rubbish bins out, it would be better than peeling potatoes.

My husband had 3 brothers and no sisters. They washed the dishes after meals!

We had potatoes at nearly every meal - boiled, mashed, roasted, salads. We had various types of pumpkin Jarrah, butternut etc. Both grew easily in the home garden and were inexpensive when feeding hordes. We also filled up on rice and pasta but my Aussie mother and grandmother could not cook like my Italian grandmother. Sometimes I found the taste of olive oil in her cooking too much but boy what a delight to eat.

I love pumpkin soup, baked pumpkin, pumpkin mixed in with potato mash, pumpkin pie but cannot have it, it has a bad effect on my system.

I have often found that tasting something cooked another way brings an enjoyment you never knew before. But tripe is never improved, I dislike it intensely.

I'm a coward ---- I've never tried tripe. I've had scrapple sandwiches, but I don't want to know what was in the scrapple. I was copying recipes from my MIL's recipe box one time and I found one for Hog's Head Cheese! I said, "I'm not copying that!" And I didn't.

I had 6 brothers and 2 sisters. We did the cooking, the washing of dishes, hanging out the clothes. You get the picture.

By the time my mother had six children, my older sister who was almost eighteen told my mother she would never hang out any more diapers. LOL.

I am not sure what it is called over in the states. It has a green leaf with a white stalk. I think it is part of the chard family. We used to call it spinach but it is nothing like spinach. I think nanna said that so we would eat it, to be strong like popeye.

My dad told my brother to eat his spinach if he wanted to be strong like popeye. He was told to not put too much black pepper on his food because that would make it hot. He thought he could use a lot of salt to cool it down.

Last edited:
Isn't it bedtime in Australia? Or is it already morning?

Oh, I looked it up. You're ahead of us by 14 hours. I have to go. Have a nice day!

Last edited:
I'm a coward ---- I've never tried tripe. I've had scrapple sandwiches, but I don't want to know what was in the scrapple. I was copying recipes from my MIL's recipe box one time and I found one for Hog's Head Cheese! I said, "I'm not copying that!" And I didn't.

I have no idea what scrapple is but it must have apple in it some where. Maybe it uses apples seeds they have arsenic in it. My grandmother must have developed a resistance to arsenic she ate apple cores. No I think hog's head sounds awful.

Isn't it bedtime in Australia? Or is it already morning?

Oh, I looked it up. You're ahead of us by 14 hours. I have to go. Have a nice day!

Sorry I have been on the phone chasing up on different things, making appoints. That sounds about right, it depends on where you are in the states as to time difference and if we are both on daylight saving etc. It is now 2:56pm Friday 13th.

I have no idea what scrapple is but it must have apple in it some where. Maybe it uses apples seeds they have arsenic in it. My grandmother must have developed a resistance to arsenic she ate apple cores. No I think hog's head sounds awful.

No, no apples! It has a whole hog's head boiled in a huge pot, ears and all. Everything is ground up and packed into pans like sausage, but the loaf pans make it rectangular, so it can be sliced and fried for breakfast or whenever. :( I've had it and it actually tasted okay, but I'll never do it again!

I recently tried cooking pearlized barley as a side dish and an alternative to rice. It only takes 10 minutes to cook. It was actually very tasty, with a slightly sweet, nutty flavor. I loathe rice by itself and can only eat it if it has gravy on it, or mixed in with other food, like with a Chinese dish. Barley is considered a super food.
I like barley.

SPINACH CASSEROLE from my Virginia Hospitality Cookbook

3 eggs
2 tablespoons flour
10 ounces chopped spinach
2 tablespoons margarine
4 ounces cottage cheese
6 ounces Cheddar cheese, grated

Preheat oven to 350. Beat eggs and flour until smooth. Cook and drain spinch. Add all ingredients to egg mixture and stir. Melt margarine in 10-inch square pan. Pour mixture in; bake 30 minutes. Let set after baking for about 10 minutes. Serves 6.

May be made a day ahead and cooked at serving time.

Balshan, we can buy frozen chopped spinach in 10-oz. packages here; this makes the recipe very easy.

SPINACH CASSEROLE from my Virginia Hospitality Cookbook

3 eggs
2 tablespoons flour
10 ounces chopped spinach
2 tablespoons margarine
4 ounces cottage cheese
6 ounces Cheddar cheese, grated

Preheat oven to 350. Beat eggs and flour until smooth. Cook and drain spinch. Add all ingredients to egg mixture and stir. Melt margarine in 10-inch square pan. Pour mixture in; bake 30 minutes. Let set after baking for about 10 minutes. Serves 6.

May be made a day ahead and cooked at serving time.

Balshan, we can buy frozen chopped spinach in 10-oz. packages here; this makes the recipe very easy.
Oh that sounds tasty. Must try it. We have frozen spinach here as well. I often put it in scrambled eggs when I have them for breakfast. Ups the vegetable intake.

I just toss spinach with or without other greens in the wok. You can flavour them with whatever you like, add garlic, chilli, nuts, spring onions. Finish with squeeze of lemon, parmesan or sesame seeds. Of course for me I leave out garlic.

Or toss cabbage with bacon. My husband does a tasty dish with thinly shredded cabbage, carrots and spring onions.

avocado green salad

We tried this last night, it was enjoyable.

We were fortunate to find a lettuce between floods and droughts these are hard to find at present.
avocado
basil or parsley
chives
spring onions you might prefer salad onion. My food restrictions mean I have spring onions
season
celery
toss with a dressing

It could be simple oil and lime juice to an avocado dressing. You could add cucumber.

Breaded and Baked Zucchini

Tangy breaded zucchini is baked until soft.
By Meggles
Prep:
15 mins
Cook:
30 mins
Total:
45 mins
Servings:
Yield:
2 servings
Breaded and Baked Zucchini

• 2 tablespoons brown mustard
  • 2 tablespoons fat free Italian salad dressing
  • ⅓ cup seasoned bread crumbs
  • 1 zucchini, sliced 1/4-inch thick

Directions​

• Step 1
    Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
  • Step 2
    Mix mustard and Italian dressing together in a bowl. Place bread crumbs in a separate bowl. Dip zucchini slices in the mustard mixture; coat with bread crumbs. Arrange coated zucchini in a casserole dish.
  • Step 3
    Bake in the preheated oven until soft, about 30 minutes.
© Copyright 2022 Allrecipes. All rights reserved.

I wish I could eat these right now.

avocado green salad

We tried this last night, it was enjoyable.

We were fortunate to find a lettuce between floods and droughts these are hard to find at present.
avocado
basil or parsley
chives
spring onions you might prefer salad onion. My food restrictions mean I have spring onions
season
celery
toss with a dressing

It could be simple oil and lime juice to an avocado dressing. You could add cucumber.
My oldest daughter buys lots of avacados. I should send this to her, but I'm getting offline now.

Back