Forgiveness of sins

will you not heed the warnings in Jude?
" I was very diligent to write to you concerning our common salvation, I found it necessary to write to you exhorting you to contend earnestly for the faith" " building yourselves up on your most holy faith"
this stuff?

by which Believers, like Abraham, have already been declared to be Righteous in God's sight, thru faith? Gen 15:6

"not having the Spirit"
this would be unbelievers, not persons already resting in Messiah "I will give you rest" Matt 11
still worrying about sins issue isn't resting

" I was very diligent to write to you concerning our common salvation, I found it necessary to write to you exhorting you to contend earnestly for the faith" " building yourselves up on your most holy faith"
this stuff?

by which Believers, like Abraham, have already been declared to be Righteous in God's sight, thru faith? Gen 15:6

"not having the Spirit"
this would be unbelievers, not persons already resting in Messiah "I will give you rest" Matt 11
still worrying about sins issue isn't resting
Did you read Jude?

"building yourselves up on your most holy faith" 20

How are we to spend our time getting to know our God
and growing in the understanding of the inheritance we already have been given in Messiah if
we are still stuck worrying about our sins coming between us and our God?

I doubt they were being commissioned to be Levitical style priests
constantly working to absolve people of their sins
to keep them in a right relationship with God
In the Old Testament, there were THREE levels of Priests:
High Priest [Aaron]
Levitical Priesthood
General priesthood
of the rest of the believers.

In the New Testament, there are also three levels of Priests:
Jesus, our High Priest (1 Tim. 2:5, Heb. 7:22-25),
The Ministerial Priests (James 5:14-15; John 20:23; 2 Cor 5:18)
The General Priesthood of all Christians (1 Peter 2:5-9).

Just as with all New Testament fulfillments, the fulfillment is always more glorious than the Old Testament type.

Finally, in the Epistle of Jude, we read the warning about those who would depose Church Authority by assuming the ministerial priesthood without the Church’s consent (Jude 11). In this passage he compares them to the rebellion of Korah and their subsequent punishment (Numbers 16:1-35; 31:16).

Jude 11 Woe to them! They followed the way of Cain, abandoned themselves to Balaam’s error for the sake of gain, and perished in the rebellion of Korah.

Numbers 16:10 He has allowed you and your Levite kinsmen with you to approach him, and yet you seek the priesthood too.

And Christ gave them the authority to bind or loose sin. Why is it that the very clear words of Jesus are lost on some people?
yes, because if people are not taught that God is not holding their sins against them they will still think He is, and live accordingly
stuck in an Old covenant way of living

Last edited:
In the Old Testament, there were THREE levels of Priests:
High Priest [Aaron]
Levitical Priesthood
General priesthood
of the rest of the believers.
Jacob specified which tribe the priests would come from for a while Genesis 49

under the Mosaic law
only the descendants of Aaron were priests, and after a certain time only those descendants of Zadok as well were
the other Levites were not priests

none of that has anything to do with those now in Messiah Jesus

Last edited:
yes, because if people are not taught that God is not holding their sins against them they will still think He is, and live accordingly
stuck in an Old covenant way of living
So he gave them the authority to forgive sins even though it wasn't necessary but it's just for show???? Lmbo

So he gave them the authority to forgive sins even though it wasn't necessary but it's just for show?
some people prefer to live as if still bound
some like to try keep others in bondage to their sins - it's a Power thing

some understand they are already completely forgiven
and God is remembering sins no more

if and when a reminder is needed, He can check the books -
"And I saw the dead, small and great, standing before God, and books were opened.
And the dead were judged according to their works, by the things which were written in the books" Revelation 20
lolz

Last edited:
Did Jesus give the apostles the authority not forgive sins?

Matthew 2: 1 A few days later, when Jesus again entered Capernaum, the people heard that he had come home. 2 They gathered in such large numbers that there was no room left, not even outside the door, and he preached the word to them. 3 Some men came, bringing to him a paralyzed man, carried by four of them. 4 Since they could not get him to Jesus because of the crowd, they made an opening in the roof above Jesus by digging through it and then lowered the mat the man was lying on. 5 When Jesus saw their faith, he said to the paralyzed man, “Son, your sins are forgiven.”
6 Now some teachers of the law were sitting there, thinking to themselves, 7 “Why does this fellow talk like that? He’s blaspheming! Who can forgive sins but God alone?”

Another way to put this is that only God can forgive sin, but we can forgive one another. We can forgive the person for what they did, but we cannot forgive them of sins against God.

Hello again @American Gothic, if you've seen the 1970 film, Love Story, you may remember a famous line from it that says, "love means never having to say that you're sorry". I saw that movie long before I was a believer, but even back then I still sensed that there was something wrong with that particular sentiment (though I admit that it sounded pretty profound to me at first blush .. then again, I was a teenager ;)).

We put up with a lot from our loved ones at times (and they from us), but even when we've hurt them in some way (perhaps by lying to them), the relationship that we had with them remains (they don't stop being our mom or dad, for instance), but the closeness of it always suffers (until we do something to fix it, that is, which often requires little more than simply saying, "I was wrong and I'm sorry", yes?).

So it is for us (believers) and the ongoing relationship that we have with our loving Abba/Heavenly Father.

The Bible doesn't tell us to confess the sins that we continue to commit (as believers) to be saved again, because sinning doesn't cause believers to lose their salvation. Nor do we do so to maintain our salvation, because we are saved by grace alone through faith alone (not by anything the 'we' do or fail to do), and that from first to last/from justification to glorification.

So, while our salvation is not lost when we sin as believers, the closeness of the relationship or fellowship that we formerly enjoyed with God certainly is, and that is the very thing that we, as believers, are looking to reestablish with Him. King David is a good, Biblical example of this kind of thing I think, because when He confessed His sins (of adultery and murder) to God in Psalm 51, he pleaded with Him to "restore .. the ~JOY~ of His salvation", not salvation itself, because that had not be lost (even though his sins were grievous).

God bless you!!

~Deut
p.s. - here is some of what the Apostle John had to say to us about this. Please take note that he not only includes believers of every level of faith in the church in this passage (IOW, from those who are babes in Christ to those who are fathers/elders), but he ~includes himself~ in the mix as well (see the type set in bold) as someone who still needed to confess his sins to God (and thereby be forgiven and cleansed of them) whenever he committed them, just like all of the rest of us need to do.

1 John 1
8 If we say that we have no sin, we are deceiving ourselves and the truth is not in us.
9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar and His word is not in us.

1 John 2
1 My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin. But if anyone does sin, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous;
2 and He Himself is the propitiation for our sins; and not for ours only, but also for those of the whole world.
3 By this we know that we have come to know Him, if we keep His commandments.
4 The one who says, “I have come to know Him,” and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him;
5 but whoever keeps His word, in him the love of God has truly been perfected. By this we know that we are in Him:
6 the one who says he abides in Him ought himself to walk in the same manner as He walked.
7 Beloved, I am not writing a new commandment to you, but an old commandment which you have had from the beginning; the old commandment is the word which you have heard.
8 On the other hand, I am writing a new commandment to you, which is true in Him and in you, because the darkness is passing away and the true Light is already shining.
9 The one who says he is in the Light and yet hates his brother is in the darkness until now.
10 The one who loves his brother abides in the Light and there is no cause for stumbling in him.
11 But the one who hates his brother is in the darkness and walks in the darkness, and does not know where he is going because the darkness has blinded his eyes.
12 I am writing to you, little children, because your sins have been forgiven you for His name’s sake.
13 I am writing to you, fathers, because you know Him who has been from the beginning. I am writing to you, young men, because you have overcome the evil one. I have written to you, children, because you know the Father.
14 I have written to you, fathers, because you know Him who has been from the beginning. I have written to you, young men, because you are strong, and the word of God abides in you, and you have overcome the evil one.

Last edited:
Back