Trinitarian confusion at Romans 9:5

I never said it couldn't. I'm saying you're comparing apples to oranges: when it begins a sentence, the head nominal in the GNT is implied and the usage is almost always generic of the whole class pertaining to the equation (i.e., he who or the one who in a general sense). None of the examples above demonstrate a cataphora involving ὁ ὢν.
There is no cataphora, as this is a standard 1st position attributive layout using a participle + clause as an attributive. It can't be denied.

Each of these demonstrate a substantival usage of the attributive participle. For example, ἐκ τῆς γῆς is the predicate of the participial phrase ὁ ὢν ἐκ τῆς γῆς. But the subject is generic--it can refer to anyone who belongs to the class of individuals who originate "from/of the earth." This differs from the construction in Romans 9:5.
OK, so the examples I quoted were irrelevant to my postion, and only relevant to your argument, as to which
Hippolytus would be my authority for repudiating "your" argument that ὁ ὢν can't be substantival here, as he is prepared to quote ὁ ὢν ἐπὶ πάντων Θεὸς on its own, seeing ὁ ὢν as substantival, and Θεὸς as anarthrous.

To the contrary, in the GNT every time ὁ ὢν is preceded by a head nominal of the same case and gender in the same sentence it always refers to that head nominal. In such examples of ὁ μονογενὴς υἱός, ὁ ὢν εἰς τὸν κόλπον τοῦ πατρὸς ἐκεῖνος ἐξηγήσατο (John 1:18) and ὁ ὄχλος ὁ ὢν μετ᾽ αὐτοῦ (John 12:17), ὁ λαὸς ὁ ὢν ὀπίσω Αμβρι (1 Kings 16:22), ὁ θεὸς καὶ πατὴρ τοῦ κυρίου ἡμῶν Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ οἶδεν ὁ ὢν εὐλογητὸς (2 Cor. 11:31) and (as in most manuscripts) ὁ υἱὸς τοῦ ἀνθρώπου ὁ ὤν ἐν τῷ οὐρανῷ (John 3:13), the head nominal is clearly stated and the attributive participle is dependent upon it. You will find this true of the broad range of participles in the 2nd attributive. The examples increase when we add the other cases, number, and gender. These would be proper grammatical equivalents to the Romans 9:5 construction, which you and TRJM have fought tooth and nail to avoid.
Paul seems to use ὁ ὢν is a way that is not reflected by other writers, limiting ὁ ὢν to Θεὸς as referent. I don't think there is much point in referring to John, say, as an authority for Paul's usage of ὁ ὢν, as there is no evidence that Paul was willing to use ὁ ὢν other than in connection with Θεὸς. LIkewise Paul can't be taken as an authority for John's use of λόγος, because John's usage is limited to "God's" word, whereas Paul uses λόγος indiscriminately. To try and compare the writers on their idiosyncrasies is pointless.

To insist on a "generic" usage of ὁ ὢν here doesn't seem right, because (a) There is no evidence that Paul had any generic use for ὁ ὢν, (b) there is an obvious intent by Paul to disassociate ὁ ὢν from ὁ Χριστὸς by τὸ κατὰ σάρκα which didn't need to be located where it was because it is adverbial, as you keep on telling me.

Why do you suppose Paul put an adverb between ὁ Χριστὸς and ὁ ὢν?

In 2Co 5:16 you'll note that Χριστὸς comes after κατὰ σάρκα.

It's far more than a half a dozen. It is all the Greek fathers who quote the passage and comment on it in such a way that their position is clearly related.
We don't care about the "fathers" because the evidence is that Greek grammar was pretty fluid with them: they interpreted things howsoever they wanted to, that is according to their theological bent, and we know they obsessed over God the Word, begotten of the Father in heaven, which is enough to drive anyone insane anyway. We can even credit Julian the Apostate's critique of them, when he insinuates that they manipulated grammar any which way they chose.

The best of your own ilk have been searching for negative evidence for a long time. After about four hundred years of unrelenting search, all that is offered in opposition is Eusebius, who never quotes the passage
The mature Eusebius does use "God above all" an awful lot, and I would say he was quoting this passage, as does the English translator of Contra Marcellus and Ecclesiastical theology who sees him as quoting from this passage directly.

(and who does refer to Christ as God the Word and supreme over all), an Arian interpolator of the longer epistles of Ignatius who also never quotes the passage and is writing against the patripassions, and perhaps two other writers whose writings do not clearly demonstrate what is inferred from them. Together with this we are offered a false representation of the usage of a middot in the manuscripts (referring to it as a "stop" or "period," when it is only a sign to the reader for taking up a breath). What I can infer from this is that most of the arguments again is the reading are both exaggerated and theologically driven.

If you could point to any of the Greeks who unequivocally see the passage a different way, feel free to let me know and I will amend my statement accordingly. I've thus far failed to find them in any of the cases, nor to my knowledge has any one of your four hundred or so year old sect (I'm being generous in attributing it to Biddle rather than Lindsey).
As I have said Iraeneus and the mature Eusebius are both consistent on whom "God above all" denotes, and it isn't Jesus.

I feel the text would not be considered ambiguous except that the suggestion that a period after σάρκα had taken root roughly four hundred years ago and we've become nose blind to it. I, for one, would never have read it that way or even entertained the possibility had it not been suggested to me in some way shape or fashion, and I always find the justification for adding a period to boil down to a theological presupposition--that Paul would not call Christ "God."
That's a very reasonable theological presupposition.

In addition, from the sixteenth to the nineteenth centuries there were no less than six proposed emendations to the passage in order to avoid that most natural reading, based upon that presupposition, so that tells me the period wasn't obvious to them either and was relatively novel. Beza actually ascribes its origin to Erasmus, which I find so far to be accurate.
Does it really matter where the periods are in the manuscripts? There were likely none in the original.

It's not supported by the Greek manuscripts, fathers, and versions--I don't even see the heterodox before the 17th century appealing suggesting it, when it otherwise may have greatly benefitted their arguments. These passages were so frequently employed against the heterodox and we've found no extant writer suggesting they were reading it wrong or another reading was possible. So I don't think the Greeks regarded it as ambiguous. Rather, they had to counter the patripassions who were taking the passage to the extreme by labeling Christ the Father. Even then, they still did not deny that it calls Christ "God" when a doxology to the Father may have seemed expedient.

Do you know of any examples where ὁ ὢν sits in what would otherwise appear to be a second attributive position, yet refers to a head nominal that follows it? Maybe you have encountered a cataphora involving ὁ ὢν where ὁ ὢν would otherwise appear to be in a second attributive position? However, off the top of my head I don't recall seeing any examples, and I think the Greek offers enough options where such an ambiguity could be easily avoided. I've clearly seen substantival and anaphoric. I'll keep my eyes open as well.
It's not a cataphora but a bog standard 1st attributive position participle + participle clause. There is nothing untoward about it. 1st attributive position participle + participle clauses are found elsewhere in the NT, especially in Paul's writings.

This is correct.

Here Beet is setting up a theological negation. It's not, in my honest opinion, a very strong one--where Beet devotes one sentence to the most natural reading, does not discuss its merits, and then resorts to several paragraphs of weak exegetical and ungrammatical arguments from theology and style. Stronger arguments from style and exegesis exist in its favor.

The late eighteenth and nineteenth centuries are in my opinion one of the worst periods for Greek exegesis.
That's only because they didn't insist on the hyper-trinitarianism of the ECFs, and allowed true"protestantism" to flourish in all its forms.

There are at least three places where Paul--under the most natural reading of each passage--specifically refers to Christ as God.
Julian the Apostate "Against the Galileans".

"But you are so misguided that you have not even remained faithful to the teachings that were handed down to you by the apostles. And these also have been altered., so as to be worse and more impious, by those who came after. At any rate neither Paul nor Matthew nor Luke nor Mark ventured to call Jesus God."

So this must have been common knowledge even way back (showing that Sharp's rule doesn't have any application to the NT in respect of ὁ Θεὸς).

Last edited:
Also in 2 Peter 1:1 τοῦ θεοῦ ἡμῶν καὶ σωτῆρος Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ, "Of our God and Saviour Jesus Christ." It's not just me saying this, it's how the Greeks read and commented on these passages going back to the earliest record.

Once again this is a dubious "proof text" for the "Deity" of Christ. As Cjab rightly noted "τοῦ θεοῦ is a title of the Father and so not subject to Sharp's rule." So it need not be calling Jesus God at all, and there is at least one other , much more natural and sane way, of reading this text.

Trinitarians invariably prey on texts that are disputed as to their affirmation—due to textual or grammatical glitches to make definitive claims about the Deity of Christ. It is confidence trickery .

It doesn't, cjab. If you think so, I'm sorry to say you just can't read. (Or you may have forgotten what you've said again)
Go take a course on reading,

Monadic nouns—A monadic noun refers to something of which there is thought to be only one (e.g., γη, ήλιος, θεός, ουρανός, σελήμη). The article is present about eighty percent of the time with the nouns listed, even though it is not needed to distinguish them from others since they are one of a kind.

Go take a course on reading,

Monadic nouns—A monadic noun refers to something of which there is thought to be only one (e.g., γη, ήλιος, θεός, ουρανός, σελήμη). The article is present about eighty percent of the time with the nouns listed, even though it is not needed to distinguish them from others since they are one of a kind.
Keep reading. There's more there, and you stopped too early. You don't get to ignore the parts you don't like. That is dishonest.

Keep reading. There's more there, and you stopped too early. You don't get to ignore the parts you don't like. That is dishonest.

I said
"No, my source supports me 100%. It's the other guys my source cites that I don't agree with. Wake up. "

You said:
"It doesn't, cjab. If you think so, I'm sorry to say you just can't read. (Or you may have forgotten what you've said again)"

I said:
"Monadic nouns—A monadic noun refers to something of which there is thought to be only one (e.g., γη, ήλιος, θεός, ουρανός, σελήμη). The article is present about eighty percent of the time with the nouns listed, even though it is not needed to distinguish them from others since they are one of a kind."

You said:
"Keep reading. There's more there, and you stopped too early. You don't get to ignore the parts you don't like. That is dishonest."

What is more?
"Dana and Mantey (1955:139-40) suggest that the article with θεός usually signifies divine personality, either God the Father or the Triune Godhead, whereas its absence focuses on the essence or attributes of divinity."

WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?

"Dana and Mantey (1955:139-40) suggest that the article with θεός usually signifies divine personality, either God the Father or the Triune Godhead, whereas its absence focuses on the essence or attributes of divinity."

WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?
"[U)sually signifies...either God the Father or the Triune Godhead." (Emphasis added) This offers no support for your latest claim.
That much is untrue. The article before θεὸς always denotes the person of the Father when referring to what is in heaven, unless intentionally used of a false god.
Much less the comment you made that I actually asked you to provide citations for.
This doesn't prevent the article with θεός identifying the Father. This is a perfectly valid use of the article and many scholars concur with the Father as o θεός.
Which was made as a follow-up to your claims here (and for the record the false statements that you were making below were things that you (not I!) believe/had said are true and were alleging that I should "know"):
You're using Θεὸς adjectivally, which is impermissible. It is especially impermissible in your case because, unlike so many who do not know Greek and can be fooled by hardcore Trinitarianism, you know that Θεὸς is (a) a noun, (b) takes the article for one (The Father), and not the other (the Logos).
Does this jog your memory?

"[U)sually signifies...either God the Father or the Triune Godhead." (Emphasis added) This offers no support for your latest claim.

Much less the comment you made that I actually asked you to provide citations for.

Which was made as a follow-up to your claims here (and for the record the false statements that you were making below were things that you (not I!) believe/had said are true and were alleging that I should "know"):

You talk too much, like someone who is trying to bluff his way out of a bad poker hand. Do you have a (one) scripture which when some reads it they can say without doubt that Jesus is the God of Israel ?

The point is that the anarthrous θεὸς need not be a reference to the God of Israel in the GNT, and within the closed circuit context of John 1;1a,b and c the apostle deliberately refrains from using the article when saying the Logos is "god."
It's called a subset proposition involving a predicate nominative and the subject is distinguished by the article.

Biblical words must be given biblical definitions : the spirit of any individual X is never another individual. Example: the spirit of apostle Paul.
I'm curious how you would handle Romans 8:9, ὑμεῖς δὲ οὐκ ἐστὲ ἐν σαρκὶ ἀλλ᾽ ἐν πνεύματι εἴπερ πνεῦμα θεοῦ οἰκεῖ ἐν ὑμῖν εἰ δέ τις πνεῦμα Χριστοῦ οὐκ ἔχει οὗτος οὐκ ἔστιν αὐτοῦ

Or 1 Peter 1:11, ἐρευνῶντες εἰς τίνα ἢ ποῖον καιρὸν ἐδήλου τὸ ἐν αὐτοῖς πνεῦμα Χριστοῦ προμαρτυρόμενον τὰ εἰς Χριστὸν παθήματα καὶ τὰς μετὰ ταῦτα δόξας

here is no cataphora, as this is a standard 1st position attributive layout using a participle + clause as an attributive. It can't be denied.
It can. Your reading, if we terminate the sentence after σάρκα, IMHO would most naturally be taken as a substantival usage of the participle where θεὸς is a predicate. The participial phrase forms a cataphora, "He who is God over all." You can find a similar example in Galatians 4:8, τοῖς φύσει μὴ οὖσιν θεοῖς, "those who are by nature not gods" and not "gods who are not by nature."

That's only because they didn't insist on the hyper-trinitarianism of the ECFs, and allowed true"protestantism" to flourish in all its forms.
They untethered themselves from the actual history of the text and its historical authorship with the precise goal of selling things that were novel. This has happened all throughout the course of Christian history.

Hippolytus would be my authority for repudiating "your" argument that ὁ ὢν can't be substantival here, as he is prepared to quote ὁ ὢν ἐπὶ πάντων Θεὸς on its own, seeing ὁ ὢν as substantival, and Θεὸς as anarthrous.
Hippolytus quoted a portion of the passage in a sentence where he applies it to Christ. To bring it into good English we add a personal pronoun, but that does not tell us that Hippolytus understood the passage substantively.

As I have said Iraeneus and the mature Eusebius are both consistent on whom "God above all" denotes, and it isn't Jesus.
Except that Irenaeus, when reasoning how Christ is both perfect God and perfect man, quotes Romans 9:5 entirely of Christ (Against Heresies, 3.16.3). Eusebius (who never quotes Romans 9:5) clearly speaks of Christ as God the Word who reigns supreme over all:
In his Ecclesiastical History (1.3.7):

"For they also bore in their own persons types of the royal and sovereign power of the true and only Christ, the divine Word who rules over all (τοῦ κατὰ πάντων βασιλεύοντος θείου λόγου)."
And in his Oration of Constantine:

In accordance, therefore, with the soundest reason, we may say that there is one Being whose care and providence are over all things, even God the Word, who has ordered all things; but the Word being God himself is also the Son of God. For by what name can we designate him except by this title of the Son, without falling into the most grievous error? (Oration, 9)​
Additionally, in his Oration in Praise of Constantine:​
Lastly, he who is in all, before, and after all, his only begotten, pre-existent Word, the great High Priest of the mighty God, elder than all time and every age, devoted to his Father's glory, first and alone makes intercession with him for the salvation of mankind. Supreme and pre-eminent Ruler of the universe, he shares the glory of his Father's kingdom: for he is that Light, which, transcendent above the universe, encircles the Father's Person, interposing and dividing between the eternal and uncreated Essence and all derived existence: that Light which, streaming from on high, proceeds from that Deity who knows not origin or end, and illumines the super-celestial regions, and all that heaven itself contains, with the radiance of wisdom bright beyond the splendor of the sun. This is he who holds a supreme dominion over this whole world, who is over and in all things, and pervades all things visible and invisible; the Word of God. From whom and by whom our divinely favored emperor, receiving, as it were a transcript of the Divine sovereignty, directs, in imitation of God himself, the administration of this world's affairs. (1.6)​
So it is clear from his writings that Eusebius does refer to Christ as "God" and "over all," and does not regard "over all" as being also over the Father, but that this rule proceeds from the Father.
You keep avoiding this, and arguing as though you were never offered refutation.

As Cjab rightly noted "τοῦ θεοῦ is a title of the Father and so not subject to Sharp's rule."
No, Cjab was wrong and "titles" are subject to "Sharp's" rule. In fact, θεός is frequently used of the Father in "Sharp" constructions:
  • ὁ θεὸς καὶ πατὴρ (2 Corinthians 1:3)
  • ὁ θεὸς καὶ πατὴρ (2 Corinthians 11:31)
  • τοῦ θεοῦ καὶ πατρὸς ἡμῶν (Galatians 1:4)
  • τῷ . . . θεῷ καὶ πατρὶ ἡμῶν (Philippians 4:20)
  • τοῦ θεοῦ καὶ πατρὸς ἡμῶν (1 Thessalonians 1:3)
  • ὁ θεὸς καὶ πατὴρ (1 Thessalonians 3:11)
  • ὁ θεὸς καὶ πατὴρ (2 Thessalonians 2:16)
  • τῷ θεῷ καὶ πατρί (Ephesians 5:20)
  • τῷ θεῷ καὶ πατρὶ (Colossians 1:3)
  • τῷ θεῷ καὶ πατρὶ (Colossians 3:17)
  • τῷ θεῷ καὶ πατρὶ (James 1:27)
  • τοῦ θεοῦ καὶ πατρὸς (Colossians 2:2)
  • ὁ θεὸς καὶ πατὴρ (1 Peter 1:3)
Or is your argument only that "Sharp's" rule does not apply when it refers to the Son? It's all just more special pleading.

Also, can you account grammatically for why τοῦ κυρίου ἡμῶν καὶ σωτῆρος Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ is one subject but τοῦ θεοῦ ἡμῶν καὶ σωτῆρος Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ is two? I think you'll have trouble explaining this.

Again, the arguments both of you are employing are not grammatical, but theological.

Does it really matter where the periods are in the manuscripts? There were likely none in the original.
It does. Agreed the originals had little to no punctuation, but when the scribes had the option to use a high stop (prior to the 9th century) they chose a middot, which is a sign for taking up a breath and which was later replaced by a comma.

You would set aside the manuscripts, versions, and fathers precisely because they don't agree with you.

Last edited:
I said I didn't espouse the citations exactly.
The citations espouse the idea of the article conveying personality which is my position.

By its very nature, something that is tri-une (comprised of more than one) cannot have personality except in a metaphorical sense (because personality is specific to personhood) or in a Sabellian sense. Any allusion to the "personality of the triune godhead" veers between inculcating incoherent polytheism (Jesus always had a separate will from his Father as he referred to his will and to his Father's will) and inculcating incoherent Sabellianism; and so the citations can be rejected for these reasons.

I have provided a citation for the idea of the Monadic God (in heaven), as espoused by the Jews. This takes issue with your pagan idea of Θεὸς as a common noun in the NT, which can be applied to sundry and diverse persons from satan, to men, the Jesus or the Father, or to things indiscriminately. Only when Θεὸς is decontextualized by an express derogation could what you suggest be true.

Thus in Rom 9:5, since there is no decontextualization, but rather a specific contextualization by ὁ ὢν ἐπὶ πάντων Θεὸς εὐλογητὸς. Θεὸς can only apply to the Father: the same in every other passage in which Θεὸς is not decontextualized. Sharp's rule provides no decontextualization whatsoever where articular Θεὸς is used, because the person of the Father cannot be derogated from.

The only thing I'll admit to in the distant past is perhaps overemphasizing the use of the article as "Father" invoking in itself. For a long time now, I've said that articular Θεὸς is "person" invoking, where Θεὸς is limited to the Father's person or properties unless obviously decontextualized.

Last edited:
I said I didn't espouse the citations exactly.

The citations espouse the idea of the article conveying personality which is my position.
Even here the source you quoted applies it to God and the Godhead, thus contradicting your position, not affirming it.
By its very nature, something that is tri-une (comprised of more than one) cannot have personality except in a metaphorical sense (because personality is specific to personhood) or in a Sabellian sense. Any allusion to the "personality of the triune godhead" veers between inculcating incoherent polytheism (Jesus always had a separate will from his Father as he referred to his will and to his Father's will) and inculcating incoherent Sabellianism; and so the citations can be rejected for these reasons.
In other words, the citation doesn't agree with you.
I have provided a citation for the idea of the Monadic God (in heaven), as espoused by the Jews. This takes issue with your pagan idea of Θεὸς as a common noun in the NT, which can be applied to sundry and diverse persons from satan, to men, the Jesus or the Father, or to things indiscriminately. Only when Θεὸς is decontextualized by an express derogation could what you suggest be true.
You provided a generic definition of monadic nouns which cannot be rigidly applied to specific contexts as you are attempting to do.
Thus in Rom 9:5, since there is no decontextualization, but rather a specific contextualization by ὁ ὢν ἐπὶ πάντων Θεὸς εὐλογητὸς. Θεὸς can only apply to the Father: the same in every other passage in which Θεὸς is not decontextualized.
Circular reasoning based on at least one, and perhaps two, erroneous assumption. Quite the double whammy.
Sharp's rule provides no decontextualization whatsoever where articular Θεὸς is used, because the person of the Father cannot be derogated from.
I haven't mentioned Sharp's rule.
The only thing I'll admit to in the distant past is perhaps overemphasizing the use of the article as "Father" invoking in itself. For a long time now, I've said that articular Θεὸς is "person" invoking, where Θεὸς is limited to the Father's person or properties unless obviously decontextualized.
"In the distant past" and "perhaps" are not truthful ways to describe the position you clearly held a few days ago. You were certainly wrong and it was recent. My citations showed that.

"In the distant past" and "perhaps" are not truthful ways to describe the position you clearly held a few days ago. You were certainly wrong and it was recent. My citations showed that.
There couldn't be any need to invoke the person of a false god (unlike in paganism), unless to make that false god the subject of a sentence as in Phil 3:19. Here the derogration from the divine Θεὸς is obvious. Θεὸς becomes as if an ordinary noun in this case.

The only other valid use of articular Θεὸς would be an allusion to a human Θεὸς in the OT sense, but such is self-derogating from the articular divine Θεὸς.

No, Cjab was wrong and "titles" are subject to "Sharp's" rule. In fact, θεός is frequently used of the Father in "Sharp" constructions:
Or is your argument only that "Sharp's" rule does not apply when it refers to the Son? It's all just more special pleading.

Also, can you account grammatically for why τοῦ κυρίου ἡμῶν καὶ σωτῆρος Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ is one subject but τοῦ θεοῦ ἡμῶν καὶ σωτῆρος Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ is two? I think you'll have trouble explaining this.

Again, the arguments both of you are employing are not grammatical, but theological.

It does. Agreed the originals had little to no punctuation, but when the scribes had the option to use a high stop (prior to the 9th century) they chose a middot, which is a sign for taking up a breath and which was later replaced by a comma.

You would set aside the manuscripts, versions, and fathers precisely because they don't agree with you.
Not if that title is the functional equivalent of a proper name. A good example is θεός with the article.

You might want to check out the thread "Fun with the definite article" on page 2 of this forum. See especially what Gryllus says on the last post: "Sharp's rule is a really a reductionistic description of the way the article works in general. It's only of a concern to Trinitarians and their detractors. I'm much more interested in the broader picture."

So you're asking, if Sharp's rule doesn't apply, then why shouldn't ὁ θεὸς καὶ πατὴρ theoretically apply to two different people?

Theoretically, it could if ὁ θεὸς and πατὴρ were two different people. But πατὴρ (and σωτῆρος) are clearly common nouns, and so Sharp's rule will apply, unless either is qualified further.

The omission of the article in the above is expected under the ordinary rules of Greek grammar. It would only be where the author wished to draw attention to a distinction (such as a reference to two different people or different groups of people that were clearly distinct but not distinguished by their nouns) that a second article would be used.

σωτῆρος Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ is clearly a specific person, as is o θεος (per Jesus). A second article would only be required to draw attention to the distinction.

Since τοῦ θεοῦ ἡμῶν and σωτῆρος Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ are unified and in permanent unity, where both are in heaven, which is the context of appeals to τοῦ θεοῦ ἡμῶν καὶ σωτῆρος Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ, there can't be any need to "draw a distinction" where both are different people. Also it would be impolitic, if not a heresy in that era, to leave out a reference to the Father.

It's interesting that in John 20:28, a second article is used, suggesting Thomas wanted to draw a clear distinction between Κύριός and Θεός in this context.

According to important Trins, κυρίος is also exempted from Sharp's rule (even though because of the LXX qere and ketiv rule, κυρίος can be and is used to denote the Father in places in the NT, e.g. at the beginning of some of the gospels and 2 Peter). If κυρίος can be exempted, so too can Θεός.

Θεός is a title of the Father, by the very definition of Christ himself.

(Take more notice of what Jesus says of Θεός , especially in the gospel of John.)

I think the Emperor Julian had a valid point. It was doubtless regurgitated by him from another, but it shows that the view that Paul had never called Christ God was in existence long before Erasmus.

Last edited:
It can. Your reading, if we terminate the sentence after σάρκα, IMHO would most naturally be taken as a substantival usage of the participle where θεὸς is a predicate. The participial phrase forms a cataphora, "He who is God over all." You can find a similar example in Galatians 4:8, τοῖς φύσει μὴ οὖσιν θεοῖς, "those who are by nature not gods" and not "gods who are not by nature."
Sorry, I can't see any material distinction in meaning between the two senses of Galatians 4:8 you have given. Both convey exactly the same thing.

They untethered themselves from the actual history of the text and its historical authorship with the precise goal of selling things that were novel. This has happened all throughout the course of Christian history.
Look what happened to Calvin who worshipped the ECFs as authorities. He went mad by burning Servetus. He went literally insane.

Look at Byzantium and Rome who both worshipped at the altar of the ECFs. What a sordid exampe of mutual hatred. A kingdom divided against itself will fall, and so Christianity kept on falling: Byzantium and Rome both fell to armies in those days.

Their christological disputes were about political power play, and so it continued down the ages, in mutual contempt and animosity, just as the doings of so many who idolize the ECFs also revolve around disputes and politics.

Hippolytus quoted a portion of the passage in a sentence where he applies it to Christ. To bring it into good English we add a personal pronoun, but that does not tell us that Hippolytus understood the passage substantively.
If he had understood it relatively, it would have made no sense to leave out Christ. And you still haven't explained why the position of the adverbial τὸ κατὰ σάρκα can be ignored. If Paul had desired the rendition ὁ Χριστὸς ὁ ὢν he would have written it like that.

Except that Irenaeus, when reasoning how Christ is both perfect God and perfect man, quotes Romans 9:5 entirely of Christ (Against Heresies, 3.16.3). Eusebius (who never quotes Romans 9:5) clearly speaks of Christ as God the Word who reigns supreme over all:
It's true that Irenaeus is suspect in respect of Rom 9:5, but consistent otherwise. We know don't how he exactly interpreted Rom 9:5 as all he does is cite it. As for Eusebius, I can't accept that his early works trump his later works: it's disingenuous to think that he couldn't change his mind over the period of 20 years ot more, which he appears to have done. I certainly wouldn't want all that I wrote 20 years ago to be taken as reflective of what I believe now. Everybody is evolving. You need to start at his last works, and then work backwards.

You keep avoiding this, and arguing as though you were never offered refutation.
I'm not saying that Christ doesn't rule over all of creation. The specific issue is far narrower and relates only to the term "God above all." By my estimation, it cannot apply to Christ.

It's called a subset proposition involving a predicate nominative and the subject is distinguished by the article.

I will ask you again: is θεος in John 1:1c definite, indefinite or purely qualitative?

I'm curious how you would handle Romans 8:9, ὑμεῖς δὲ οὐκ ἐστὲ ἐν σαρκὶ ἀλλ᾽ ἐν πνεύματι εἴπερ πνεῦμα θεοῦ οἰκεῖ ἐν ὑμῖν εἰ δέ τις πνεῦμα Χριστοῦ οὐκ ἔχει οὗτος οὐκ ἔστιν αὐτοῦ

Or 1 Peter 1:11, ἐρευνῶντες εἰς τίνα ἢ ποῖον καιρὸν ἐδήλου τὸ ἐν αὐτοῖς πνεῦμα Χριστοῦ προμαρτυρόμενον τὰ εἰς Χριστὸν παθήματα καὶ τὰς μετὰ ταῦτα δόξας

How does either verse prove that πνεῦμα is an individual ?

Not if that title is the functional equivalent of a proper name. A good example is θεός with the article.
First you said it was a title. Now when corrected you say it is the "functional equivalent of a proper name." Do you have any other position than that of a contrarian? You're facing another situation where your assertion is contrary to the usage of the Greek fathers, who saw one subject and not two in Titus 2:13.

I will ask you again: is θεος in John 1:1c definite, indefinite or purely qualitative?
Are you capable of processing anything more than multiple choice questions? Do you understand what I mean by a "subset proposition"? It's like in another place where I translated using an adverb, and you asked if the Greek was adverbial or adjectival.

You might want to check out the thread "Fun with the definite article" on page 2 of this forum. See especially what Gryllus says on the last post: "Sharp's rule is a really a reductionistic description of the way the article works in general. It's only of a concern to Trinitarians and their detractors. I'm much more interested in the broader picture."
Rather, you should see especially what Gryllus wrote on Titus 2:13:
I believe that "Great God and Savior" refers to Jesus Christ here.​
My point here in this thread is that the Greeks saw Titus 2:13 as referring to one subject, not two. I'll add that Sharp was certainly not the first to remark on the rule of the article. You'll find it adequately explained, for instance, by Salamo Glassius in his Greek grammar written in the 17th century and noted by Beza in his annotations to the Textus Receptus. As I said already, you won't receive it.

Last edited:
Are you capable of processing anything more than multiple choice questions? Do you understand what I mean by a "subset proposition"? It's like in another place where I translated using an adverb, and you asked if the Greek was adverbial or adjectival.

Rather, you should see especially what Gryllus wrote on Titus 2:13:

My point here in this thread is that the Greeks saw Titus 2:13 as referring to one subject, not two. I'll add that Sharp was certainly not the first to remark on the rule of the article. You'll find it adequately explained, for instance, by Salamo Glassius in his Greek grammar written in the 17th century and noted by Beza in his annotations to the Textus Receptus. As I said already, you won't receive it.
Please answer the question: Is θεος is John 1:1c qualitative, indefinite or definite ? Wallace argues it is qualitative, Gryllus says it is definite, and you don’t seem to know the answer or else don’t want to disclose it publicly.

Trinitarians seem to be all over the place on this one. Which again shows that the “Deity of Christ” is based upon a poor foundation indeed.

I can't receive it because you won't adduce the evidence in your post. Do you really suppose I have a copy of Salamo Glassius to hand, or Beza's annotations to the Textus Receptus? Why not share it? I'm quite willing to credit that the ECFs quoted Titus 2:13 verbatim, as Irenaeus does Rom 9:5, but quoting it is one thing, and explaining it another.

One thing to note: Christ is said to have the glory of the great God, not to be the great God himself (Jhn 17:5). Indeed the glory of Christ is said to be his Father, but such doesn't mean Christ is his Father, who is the great God.

Back